What does your child do outside

AnneBlessedx4

- play in the sandbox

- jump on the trampoline

- build forts

- dig holes and trenches, and then use the hose to create waterways 

- play in the treehouse

- play on the play gym/swing set

- create obstacle courses (with old tires, 2x4s, buckets, and whatever else I give them)

- draw with chalk on the pavement

- collect pine cones

- blow bubbles

- ride their bike or scooter

- play with the dog

- draw or make crafts at the patio table

- put on swimsuit and run through the sprinkler

My 8 year old is 5 years younger than his brother. he also spends a lot of time playing alone outside. Mostly he plays imaginary games by himself. He makes forts and pretends he is fighting creatures (like orcs or something) or he pretends he is a fairy in fairyland etc. He digs holes, ties things up with rope, works some more on his fort, plants apple seeds, catches crickets, makes homes for the crickets.

We don't have a big backyard, but it does have some trees for climbing and a big play structure. I just leave him alone out there and he seems to figure it out. I see him out there talking to himself and running around.

I think the trick with teaching kids to play outside alone is to not rescue them.  It is a required part of the day.  There is no whining to go indoors.  There is no convincing mom to play with you. 

Left out there long enough they will find a way to entertain themselves. Mud and trees hold a magical allure.

Dd putters around her treehouse (now on the ground, as the derecho of a few years ago blew one of the supporting trees down), reads in the hammock, goes for a walk, dreams/thinks/supposes, picks flowers, finds 4 leaf clovers, sings...

She doesn't ride a bike or scooter, and we have no neighbors to play pick-up games with or talk to. Still, she likes being outside. I wish there was more to do, but she always seems to find something. We do have a lot of land to roam. 

Mine presses his nose against the window, gazing wistfully at the lonely, dark tv screen inside.  ;)

OK, not really.  He has an area between our driveway and deck where he keeps a couple dozen plastic dinos (and assorted related small toys) and is free to pull any plants, sticks, rocks, etc. to aid his creations.  Seriously, I can't believe we are still getting mileage out of the Dinosaur Pit!  He's 12!

He abandoned the sandbox three years ago because he saw a gigantic pregnant spider.

He can't use the basketball hoop when there are birds nesting behind it.

So, for the most part, that leaves the Dino Pit.

When my oldest was 4 he dug holes. Lots of holes. I always knew where he was because he was so intent on digging. He also climbed trees when he was preschool/K age. Really tall trees. Right to the top of the tree none of the other mothers would let their children climb.

Sandbox, bikes/trikes. Our yard backs to a neighborhood playground so climbing on the equipment, pretending the platform is a ship or something. At 15 my dd still goes out back and swings. She will swing for a long time.

When my oldest was 4 he dug holes. Lots of holes. I always knew where he was because he was so intent on digging. He also climbed trees when he was preschool/K age. Really tall trees. Right to the top of the tree none of the other mothers would let their children climb.

Sandbox, bikes/trikes. Our yard backs to a neighborhood playground so climbing on the equipment, pretending the platform is a ship or something. At 15 my dd still goes out back and swings. She will swing for a long time.

Betty, your post made me laugh and sparked the memory of my middle child, who dug a giant (4X4, at least) hole in the backyard the first few months we moved here. He even sifted the dirt like an archeologist, and found a few interesting objects! 

We had that hole for at least 2 years before dh had him fill it in again.  :001_smile:

Betty, your post made me laugh and sparked the memory of my middle child, who dug a giant (4X4, at least) hole in the backyard the first few months we moved here. He even sifted the dirt like an archeologist, and found a few interesting objects! 

We had that hole for at least 2 years before dh had him fill it in again.  :001_smile:

Did he get upset about filling it in again. When we moved in ds was 3 almost 4. he dug holes in front. One neighbor complained to another neighbor that I wasn't doing anything to maintain my yard (the big patch we have in front of a townhouse). The second neighbor said she didn't mind because I didn't care that her son was digging in front of my house too. That little patch of dirt was in front of my big kitchen window so I could work and still see ds outside. And he never wondered. (I never let dd have that kind of freedom, she would have disappeared in seconds).

Later he moved to the back yard where he could dig bigger holes. After a while we had to fill in because we had one wet spring and water pooled in the holes just right for mosquitos. ds was not happy.

ETA nice to remember this stuff. ds is now almost 19 and things are different than I thought they would be.

Right now he is out there with crayons and paper, staring at a cup. The cup has a dab of honey at the bottom. He is using the honey to attract fairies and then he is going to sketch them as they eat the honey.

Earlier he was trapping grasshoppers and sketching them because he is sure some are elves or fairies in disguise, and if he can draw them he will learn to tell the difference.

Stands around, peers in the windows, asks every 2.5 seconds if they can come in.

What I would LIKE them to do is jump on the trampoline we have, dig in the dirt, play tag, play hide and seek, play with the water table, watch bugs, draw with sidewalk chalk, play make believe, etc. They have 5+ other friends (each other, the baby doesn't count because he's newborn and doesn't play yet) and even still, they can't seem to figure out what to do outside! It's maddening!!!!!!!

Maybe I should kick 'em out there more often. I usually only make them stay out for short periods of time since they seem to hate it so much. Ugh!!!

And no, they are not overweight at all.

ds10 made himself a tipi the other day, or he "builds" in his "workshop" which really means he randomly nails various boards together without much rhyme or reason.  Right now he is walking dd6 over to the library to sell her girl guide cookies.  She is not allowed out alone currently as there is an escaped criminal on the loose in the region(48 convictions for kidnapping children from parks and yards and sexually assaulting them).  So she is only allowed with one of the bigs, but when the 2 of them are playing together they have elaborate games of make believe with the riding toys, scooters, bikes etc.  When she was allowed outside alone before, she would used sidewalk chalk, play with her dolls, use her bike/scooter etc.  Pretty soon will be snowmen, snowball fights, snow angels and other such playtime activities.  In the spring they dig my garden up and create a huge crater in it.

I don't know... They are outside, I am inside drinking my Diet Coke. And alone. And it is awesome!

In the summer, they play with the hose and squirters and spray bottles a lot. In the fall and spring they dig holes and catch bugs and take stuffed animals outside and try to plant things. In the winter they walk around for three seconds and complain of the cold. And we're moving to Alaska. Hahaha! BUT, they play in snow fine.

On their own:

My oldest makes up stories and scenarios.

My second oldest rides his bike or catches bugs.

Number Three whines and asks what can she do. She's my socially needy one.

Four catches bugs, draws with chalk or kicks around balls.

Sometimes I give them a treat as I'm kicking them outside. Then they have an incentive to be out there.

Digs to China in the backyard, hunts salamanders, lizards, cicadas, crickets, overturns the rocks in the garden looking for bugs and spiders, runs wild in the neighborhood with the six other boys his age, jump on the trampoline, take his angry bird plushies outside and build an elaborate angry bird game with the plushies and cardboard boxes, ride bikes, play soccer, takes over the world with nerf swords, build elaborate waterways with the hose in our sandpit, climb trees, have elaborate mock wars with the evil girls who live on the other street, have yelling wars with the kids down the street (DS9 yells out, then waits for the other kids to yell back, I'm sure our neighbors all love us, lol). They also go to one friend's house, say they are hungry, get a snack, then go to another kid's house, say they are hungry, get a snack...etc...

We have kind of an old-fashioned neighborhood because a lot of kids play outside, sometimes all day long, year-round.

Digs to China in the backyard, hunts salamanders, lizards, cicadas, crickets, overturns the rocks in the garden looking for bugs and spiders, runs wild in the neighborhood with the six other boys his age, jump on the trampoline, take his angry bird plushies outside and build an elaborate angry bird game with the plushies and cardboard boxes, ride bikes, play soccer, takes over the world with nerf swords, build elaborate waterways with the hose in our sandpit, climb trees, have elaborate mock wars with the evil girls who live on the other street, have yelling wars with the kids down the street (DS9 yells out, then waits for the other kids to yell back, I'm sure our neighbors all love us, lol). They also go to one friend's house, say they are hungry, get a snack, then go to another kid's house, say they are hungry, get a snack...etc...

We have kind of an old-fashioned neighborhood because a lot of kids play outside, sometimes all day long, year-round.

Ride their bikes

Play on the swingset

Find bugs

Swordfight

Play with the neighbors

Hide and seek

Look for rocks

Make fairy/gnome/elf houses

Build a shelter in the woods

Shoot at their archery target

Sidewalk chalk

Look for berries

Climb trees

Follow deer trails

Just run around

Right now he is out there with crayons and paper, staring at a cup. The cup has a dab of honey at the bottom. He is using the honey to attract fairies and then he is going to sketch them as they eat the honey.

Earlier he was trapping grasshoppers and sketching them because he is sure some are elves or fairies in disguise, and if he can draw them he will learn to tell the difference.

Just read this to DS, who sounds just like yours. He is jumping up and down saying, "I do that too, I do that too!" ... And wants to set up a play date with your DS! LOL!

He has an area between our driveway and deck where he keeps a couple dozen plastic dinos (and assorted related small toys) and is free to pull any plants, sticks, rocks, etc. to aid his creations. Seriously, I can't believe we are still getting mileage out of the Dinosaur Pit! He's 12!

He abandoned the sandbox three years ago because he saw a gigantic pregnant spider.

He can't use the basketball hoop when there are birds nesting behind it.

So, for the most part, that leaves the Dino Pit.

I believe it. DS is way into plastic soldiers, animals etc. Heck, he has a billion legos and sorted out the lego people and spends more time setting up his lego people tha anything

I believe it. DS is way into plastic soldiers, animals etc. Heck, he has a billion legos and sorted out the lego people and spends more time setting up his lego people tha anything

:D  We had to draw the line:  No Legos outside!

I swear, it's only a matter of one more purchase and the Legos will take over his bedroom, leaving no room for his bed....

:D We had to draw the line: No Legos outside!

I swear, it's only a matter of one more purchase and the Legos will take over his bedroom, leaving no room for his bed....

I bet you could find plans online to build a bed out of his Lego's.

I am building a loft (out of wood, not Lego's ;) ) in DS's room for his legos. He has a 10ft ceiling so will have room under it for a few more years before I need to take it down to give him head room. If I ever build aother house there will be a lego room.