Menu

When Will an Infant Wake Up?

mathmarm

I know that many babies sleep a lot and that some newborns will sleep as much as 16+ hours a day, but when did your baby start staying up for longer stretches during the day and night?

I know that this might sound crazy, but so far Jr. is quietly eating, quietly getting his diaper changed or soundly sleeping. He doesn't cry much at all and he sleeps...a lot.

Also...can a newborn snore? I swear to god that he snores, but Hubby says that newborns can't snore, my mom doesn't remember and my MIL, who is Deaf, wouldn't know if her babies cried when she wasn't in the room, let alone snored.

I love just looking at him, but I do kind of wish that he'd....ya'know, wake up.

Or at least snore definitively so I know that I'm not crazy.

Ask about the snoring at your well baby check.  Baby noses are small and can get plugged up pretty easily but your doctor might want to check that there are no obstructions.  

But newborns can in fact snore, right?

What if Jr, is awake (there for not sleep or snoring) when I have the Dr. see him?

Should I video him sleeping so that the Dr. can hear him snoring/breathing while he sleeps?

I don't want to be the crazy hyper aware new mom with hypochondriac projections on her little kid, but the fact that Hubby doesn't notice it makes me feel like I'm...ya know...crazy?

My baby is almost 5 weeks old, and he is just starting to be awake for more than a few minutes at a time, like maybe half an hour?  He's just started, within the last weekish, to appear to be looking at things intentionally -- now, he will turn his head and look at things that move, or he'll study someone's face other than mine.  I can't really explain it, but it's something in the way they look at things that shows the difference between only sort of being present in our world and actually being in it.  I want to say that my fourth baby, who was both my earliest (38.5 weeks when my others were all well over 40) and smallest ("only" 8 pounds when my others were close to 9 or well over 9), also had the longest "not quite all here" period, but it's hard to remember.  My current baby does still keep his legs tucked up a lot, when I think my others were straightening out more by this point, but he was also a very late-term breechie, so his normal may be a bit different from other babies' normals.  And my first son, who was my latest and biggest baby, was very, very sleepy for a long, long time.  We have all of these "DS1's first trip to such-and-such" pictures from his first 18 months or so, and he's asleep in every single one of them.  He napped until age 5.  DD, otoh, was rarely asleep, even as an infant; she was my best nighttime sleeper but was never a good napper.  Some babies are just sleepier than others.  As long as your little guy is eating well and making appropriate wet and dirty diapers, let him sleep.  He'll wake up soon.  (Actually, I got more sleep in the first couple of weeks after my current baby was born than I do now.  For the first couple of weeks, he just slept and ate and went back to sleep.  Now, he will be awake for a while, and that's kind of hard when it's 3 am, because he'll fuss if he's not being held or being nursed, so it means that I'm largely awake too.)

Congratulations on your baby!

Oh, and as for snoring, if your doctor has looked at him and deemed him to be okay, he may just be noisy.  Newborns do tend to be noisy, but some are noisier than others.  My current baby is a particularly noisy one; he isn't wheezy, but he is a noisy breather when he's not deeply asleep, and he is often a noisy breather when he's nursing too.  Our doctor listened to his heart/lungs (she heard a faint murmur on my fourth baby when he was an infant, so I trust that she's listening well enough) and said they were clear and that some babies are just noisy, something about loose tissues or something like that.  If he's not having trouble breathing or turning blue/purple, he may just be noisy.  Yes, I do think newborns can snore; I'm pretty sure some of mine have, and I would say that DS4 makes snoring-like sounds.

When our granddaughter was born 5 weeks ago, the hospital pediatrician told us that newborns can snuffle and make all sorts of sounds. I wouldn't worry too much, but I agree with Jean that mentioning it at the next appointment wouldn't hurt. It might give you peace of mind. Little granddaughter started waking for longer periods at around 3 weeks, but I remember that a couple of mine slept and slept for a few months. I think it depends on the baby. Enjoy!

My dd slept like 22 hours a day, not an exaggeration, for the first six weeks.  Our doctor was going to test her thyroid at six weeks when she finally started to wake up a little.  When she was a week old and not regaining her birthweight, we went to BRU to buy a bottle to supplement.  I stripped her down in the car, put her in front of the vent full blast and dripped ice water from a straw down her back...she didn't even stir.  I was terrified that there was something wrong with her  :crying: , Jax had cried non-stop from the hospital to four months.  She is still pretty chill, the most laid back of my three.

My mother (who sometimes has good advice) used to say that "they are still cook'n-- they just are too big for your tummy"  -- relax baby is still busy making a baby-- it's tiring and requires lots of sleep.

Honestly, somewhere in the 6 weeks range they start being awake for more than a few minutes at a time.  

Enjoy this time-- soon they are up and about and destroying everything in the kitchen in the time it takes for you to make a bowl of cereal.

My dd slept like 22 hours a day, not an exaggeration, for the first six weeks.  Our doctor was going to test her thyroid at six weeks when she finally started to wake up a little.  When she was a week old and not regaining her birthweight, we went to BRU to buy a bottle to supplement.  I stripped her down in the car, put her in front of the vent full blast and dripped ice water from a straw down her back...she didn't even stir.  I was terrified that there was something wrong with her  :crying: , Jax had cried non-stop from the hospital to four months.  She is still pretty chill, the most laid back of my three.

So, wait, what was wrong with Jax? Was it related to breathing/snoring issues?

Yes, when in doubt, call the doctor and ask.  They're heard all manner of "new mom" questions before; you won't look silly.  This is my fifth baby, and I am older and have had way more actual experience with newborns than my doctor has, and I was pretty sure everything was fine with my baby, but it did make me feel better to have her check him well.

Okay, one more question then: Can I take a sleeping baby with me when I do stuff? I know that sounds crazy, but I feel like getting up and moving around a little.  Walking around the neighborhood, I'd like to visit with my mom, maybe get a sandwiche at the cafe--all stuff I did prior to giving birth just a couple of weeks ago, but I don't want to disturb/disrupt Jrs sleep, but he doesn't stay awake and he sleeps rather soundly, so is it okay for me to just cart a sleeping infant around with me a few times a week?

We have strollers/car seats for him. I just don't know if I should be "running around" with him...

Okay, one more question then: Can I take a sleeping baby with me when I do stuff? I know that sounds crazy, but I feel like getting up and moving around a little.  Walking around the neighborhood, I'd like to visit with my mom, maybe get a sandwiche at the cafe--all stuff I did prior to giving birth just a couple of weeks ago, but I don't want to disturb/disrupt Jrs sleep, but he doesn't stay awake and he sleeps rather soundly, so is it okay for me to just cart a sleeping infant around with me a few times a week?

We have strollers/car seats for him. I just don't know if I should be "running around" with him...

Sure--- I went everywhere with my first baby--- she just slept through everything.  It won't be long until you cannot go anywhere because of nap schedules (about 4 months)

, so is it okay for me to just cart a sleeping infant around with me a few times a week?

My kids are a year apart.  My younger slept in the stroller while we walk to the park for my older to play.   I have a double stroller as well as a double jogger at that time and we just walk to department stores, libraries, supermarkets almost everyday.

We even do gentle hikes while my younger slept in the double jogger.

Yes!  If YOU feel up to going out (and being that your baby is very new, do be careful of YOU -- don't wipe yourself out too much, and if you had stitches, do be careful about driving and braking hard and such), it's fine to take the baby out.  I'd probably avoid very crowded places, especially if small children might touch him, but you can take him out, even if he's sleeping.  At his age, life is pretty much one big nap, so you aren't going to disturb it too much; chances are high that he'll fall back asleep pretty quickly even if you do take him out of his carseat.  Obviously with several children, I have to go out sometimes (although I do stay largely at home for a few weeks to recover and to focus on bonding with my baby), and the baby does great; he usually falls back asleep if I take him out of the seat and put him in a baby carrier (personal preference; I don't like lugging the carseat -- it's heavy and takes up too much room in the grocery cart, plus random strangers tend not to touch a baby who is snuggled close to my chest).  The only thing my babies tend not to like doing is a lot of in and out of the seat -- five errands, all a few minutes or less, does tend to annoy them with the back and forth, so I limit the errands, lug the seat for two seconds, or (what I do now) send one of the big kids to buy stamps or drop off library books), or have DH do a few errands.  But sure, go visit your mom -- that should be a pretty easy trip for you!  And it's a lovely time of year to take walks.

Sure--- I went everywhere with my first baby--- she just slept through everything.  It won't be long until you cannot go anywhere because of nap schedules (about 4 months)

:iagree:  w/Lara - take advantage before the nap schedule becomes much more important around 4 months.

My only caveat is with regard to germs - avoid letting random people touch your baby or look so close that they breathe/cough all over him.

Should I video him sleeping so that the Dr. can hear him snoring/breathing while he sleeps?

Yes.  Murphy's Law says the kids is always better when he's at the dr, just like the car doesn't make that funny noise when you take it to the garage.

Okay, one more question then: Can I take a sleeping baby with me when I do stuff? 

Yep.  I really wish they had had those car seats that clip onto strollers when mine were babies.  Would have made it a lot easier.  Strollers, Snugglies and backpacks are your friends.  

My only caveat is with regard to germs - avoid letting random people touch your baby or look so close that they breathe/cough all over him.

It is absolutely amazing how many otherwise smart people will try to spread their germs to your newborn!

I know I said that "Can I take a sleeping baby places" was going to be my last question, but now I have a question about bonding:

So how long does bonding with the baby usually take? I don't want to deprive Jr. of bonding time, or expose him too early, or go stir crazy or let him smother himself with breathing issues that may or may not be only in my head. But so far I haven't got a lot of mom experience. He's my first and will probably be my only (biological) child. Right now we spend all our time within 3.7 feet of one another. Except for when I'm showering and his dad is with him and the other day when I left the baby in the kitchen while I went to check the door, I try and keep Jr with me but honestly he acts like he doesn't even notice!

Jr wakes to eat and he nurses like a champ, or so I think...He makes plenty of dirty diapers and has peed on me each time I change him.

So far we either lay in the bed with one another, recline on the couch with one another, rock in the nursing chair, walk around the house or just lay on the floor together. I have been reading to Jr. but I need to go to the library to get more books. How long should I wait to allow the bonding process to complete?

Bonding is an ongoing process.  I believe that it's jump-started in the first few weeks when you're with him constantly, but really, it's not a one-time thing.  Take a deep breath and just enjoy him.  Cuddle him, kiss his little head, rub on his soft little hands, all of that.  I'd say you're probably well-bonded to him already, but in a few weeks, he'll start to look at you like he knows you.  Even now, your touch or voice probably calms him.  He's heard it for nine months, and if you go to get a shower, he may be fussy for Dad after a bit, but he may calm the instant you take him, especially if you're nursing.  It sounds to me like you are doing a wonderful job of loving on him and enjoying him and letting him be confident in your ability to care for him.  That's bonding!  I think as long as you're responding to his cues as soon as possible and taking the time to do more than just the necessities with him (which it sounds like you are), a bit of going out isn't going to wreck the bonding.

the bonding period is not discrete but continuous, I honestly have never been clear what people mean when they say they like to stay in and bond with the baby. I had a friend who was adamant about staying home and bonding with her new born for 4 months straight. I think she really just made herself miserable with anxiety and hyper for company for no real reason. Her kid was fine, but she started struggling with post-partum after that. She cried for a long time that her baby didn't seem to know or love her and yet, around 7 mo, the kid was clearly head over hills in love with his mom, before that, he didn't show continued interest in anyone or anything.

In my experience, getting out and about within reason can be good for mom and baby. Your infant probably won't not know you or love you if you go get a yogurt.

My little sister snored from the day she was born until she was...wait, she's still snoring.

We have a large family so being a new born doesn't mean much except an age, we go to the park, visit relatives, go outside for walks, go on errands and take trips with infants of all ages. After about a week, I'd say that the baby should be good for transporting and such.

Enjoy the kid and don't over think everything.

My second baby was very noisy. He would snuffle and grunt in his sleep a lot. In fact, he's 22 months now and is asleep next to me at the moment...snoring lightly. The advice to ask your pediatrician is a good one, the dr. may want to check his nose and make sure he's not stuffy or anything...but I bet he's just noisy.

If you are rested enough to go out, by all means! Do you have a carrier? I loved the Moby wrap. They can just sleep right on you while you are out. It also keeps them away from other children, random people wanting to touch baby, etc.

He will wake up...this time is so sweet. Remember to smell his head. Newborn heads have this amazing smell. :)

My youngest snored from day 1.  The nurse claimed to have never heard a newborn snore before.  The family practice doctor said she was fine, though at 8, we did have her tonsils and adenoids out, and that ended the snoring.  Otherwise, she's been really healthy, though, so nothing to worry about while he's a baby, but something to watch as he grows.  

My kids have all varied on the waking up thing.  My older three were all pre-term to barely term (35 weeks- barely 38 weeks), two of them took 4-6 weeks to really wake up, the other was alert and ready to go from the start.  (They're teens and a tween now and would sleep 16 hours straight if I let them.)  Several books I read when they were little referred to a fourth trimester, where babies were out of the womb, but acting much like they were when they were still in -- this was very true of those two.

They all "wake up" at different times, I wouldn't worry for quite awhile. We took our first all over the place when he was an infant, it's easy to take them anywhere until they become mobile! The bonding thing is different for different people. I'm one of those who loves to sit around and hold my babies. But the only thing you need to do to bond is to pay attention to their needs. Respond to their cries. I remember reading that bonding happened when you were nursing and gazed into each other's eyes! Ha! That wasn't true for me at all. As soon as they latched on, they closed their eyes. I remember being very upset about this at the time, but I'm now well bonded to both my kids. And didn't even try to get my second to open her eyes while she nursed. Instead, I watched the entire series of desperate housewives while she nursed!

Words of wisdom my mom gave me when I was a brand new mom. "All you have to do is love him."

All babies are different. I had one who only slept his first 2 days of life and was wide awake for hours at a time after the first 2 days. I had one who slept at least 20 hrs a day until 6 weeks.

Yes, take baby out. He'll sleep in his carseat. Just make sure you remember an extra change of clothes in case he has a blowout!

If you have a carrier you can also wear baby when you go out if the stroller isnt meeting your closeness needs. I loved wearing my little ones, could sniff and kiss their heads all the time.

I had heard stories of moms worried that babe slept too much and thought it strange (and mythical) until I got one. I laughed at myself when I realize I was worrying about my youngest that was just a great sleeper it turns out. :)

You might also like a mothering forum like babycenter or mothering.com where you can find other families going through similar stages. Sometimes it is nice finding a community with many people going through the same questions and experience.

My son has always needed a lot of sleep.  He had to be woken up to eat when he was a baby.  He was awake for less than an hour a day for his fist 4 months or so.  People would come over to see the baby, and we'd hang out in the living room talking for literally hours, and then they'd say "so, um, where is the baby?" and I'd point to the bassinet in the corner where he was happily dozing away.  

The good news is that he's 4 and STILL needs a ton of sleep!  He goes down between 6 and 6:30 every night.  He does still need a nap, though he never really takes one.

I know I said that "Can I take a sleeping baby places" was going to be my last question, but now I have a question about bonding:

So how long does bonding with the baby usually take? I don't want to deprive Jr. of bonding time, or expose him too early, or go stir crazy or let him smother himself with breathing issues that may or may not be only in my head. But so far I haven't got a lot of mom experience. He's my first and will probably be my only (biological) child. Right now we spend all our time within 3.7 feet of one another. Except for when I'm showering and his dad is with him and the other day when I left the baby in the kitchen while I went to check the door, I try and keep Jr with me but honestly he acts like he doesn't even notice!

Jr wakes to eat and he nurses like a champ, or so I think...He makes plenty of dirty diapers and has peed on me each time I change him.

So far we either lay in the bed with one another, recline on the couch with one another, rock in the nursing chair, walk around the house or just lay on the floor together. I have been reading to Jr. but I need to go to the library to get more books. How long should I wait to allow the bonding process to complete?

Don't stress so much (I know that is easier said than done with your first)  Unless you are not holding/cuddling/talking to your baby at all-- the baby is going to bond with you.  I encourage you to hold him as much as possible...but that does not mean that you can never put him down, or leave his side.  Hold him when you are feeding him (bottle), hold him and comfort him when he cries, cuddle with him and talk to him when you can.  If you are doing all of that, the times that you need to take a shower, leave him with grandma while you run errands, leave him to cry for a few mins because he just wont calm down and you need a break, etc, will not do him (or you) any harm at all. 

All of mine wheezed/rattled/snored/snuffled when they were brand new. It's normal. They have vernix working its way out of their airway.

Newborns sleep A LOT. If he is making plenty of diapers and eating well, relax. :).

By all means, take him out. Get some air and exercise. It will help ward off PPD.

Bonding: I remember feeling like it happened a little slower with my first, and my mom who is a mother of 7 and a postpartum nurse tells me this is common. I agree with the PPs too--it's a continuum, not a discrete event. You'll probably "feel" it a little more when he is awake for longer periods and starts to interact.

Just enjoy him. Try to relax. Sleep when he does, cuddle him, love on him.

So long as your baby is eating well and has plenty of wet/poopy diapers, I wouldn't be too worried. My third was a noisy boy when he slept. He still is. If you are concerned, just make sure you bring it up with your doctor. I always write a list before doc appointments as I'm terrible at forgetting something while I'm in there. If you are feeling good and would like to move about, strap that sleepy little fellow on and take him with you. He might learn to sleep through a lot more. I found that my first was a much lighter sleeper in his childhood as he didn't have to get used to extra movement or noise when he was napping as a baby.

Bonding is an ongoing thing. Make that baby part of your life and your day and you'll continue to bond. Keep those special you and him times when you feed or cuddle in the evenings and you'll be just fine. Those evening cuddles go on for a long time and continue helping bond for many, many years. Relax and enjoy your snoring little bundle.

And most of all

:party:  Congratulations on the new baby! Enjoy!