Menu

What do you do with a fever?

PeacefulChaos

I'm wondering what others do.  

Pink currently ... ok, maybe not currently... but as of 8:00 she was running around 103, maybe a little over.  I gave her some ibuprofen and she's in bed now - she still felt really warm when I laid her down at 9, so we didn't do her usual number of quilt+blankets.  :)  

I'm not worried about the fever - kids get high fevers and it's not a big deal.  Astro used to regularly run up to 104.5.

I'm just finding myself torn now between the two schools of thought:

a) waking her up and alternating tylenol and ibuprofen every 3ish hours (tylenol at 11, ibuprofen at 2, etc)

Or

b ) just letting it run its course.  

I've heard that giving them medicine for fevers too much can actually make the illness last longer.  Does how high the fever is matter at all in that?  

Anyway, just pondering.  DH is of the opinion we should wake her up and give it to her.  I can't decide.  

So what do you do?

I'm generally in favor of letting a fever run its course. But 103 is outside of my comfort zone, so I might have given her some medication before bed too.

Not sure if I'd be waking her up every 3 hours though. I would go check on her a few times during the night, and maybe try some alternatives to medication (cool washcloth on her forehead, wrap her calves in cool wet towels, etc.).  That way you're still bringing the fever down a bit, but not completely counteracting it. 

And yes, giving fever-reducing medications can suppress the production of antibodies, which can make infections last longer than they would otherwise.

Hope your DD feels better soon!

At 103, I would go by how she is acting / feeling. If she's miserable, I give a small dose of fever reducer to take the edge off and let her rest. If she's acting fine - I let it run it's course but check frequently.

Above 103, I start to worry. My dd regularly gets high fevers when she is sick - I only worry if they have lasted longer than a day or so, or don't respond to attempts to bring then down either with a cool shower/bath or medication.

I let fevers go as long as possible untreated and as long as were not crossing 104. If my child is really miserable then I will treat with ibuprofen and if super miserable we will alternate ibuprofen and acetaminophen on 2 hour intervals. I would not wake my child to take medicine unless I knew she would wake up from being miserable and I was already awake - as in, if I was headed to bed and it was time for another dose and it has been a difficult evening or a fretful night before, I would gently wake her to take the next dose before I head to be. I would not wake in the night to give her.

And I also have herbal teas we use for fevers and just up the general herbal response like broths and soups and such while sick. I like to let fevers do their thing though.

I don't do anything for 'fever'. I will treat any other symptoms IF they are really bothering the sick one otherwise we let it run its course. So, for instance, a fever with a sore throat or lots of aches/pains will warrant ibuprofen. But, never just for fever.

Fever is a good thing.