Menu

Is this some sort of Craigslist scam?

AimeeM

I posted an item for sale on my local craigs list. I did note the price - twice - and specified cash only.

I received the following email:

Thanks for the prompt response to my mail.I will be buying from you

so please kindly withdraw the advert from

C.List.Please be informed

that I will be paying with a certified check from my bank it will be delivered to you via UPS or

FeddEx, How much is total price for the item and i'll need you to provide me with the

following information to facilitate the mailing of the check....

Name on payment...

Home address...

City...

State...

Zip Code...

Cell phone number...

I will make arrangements for pickup as soon as you have your money I am completely satisfied with the advert and the payment will

be delivered within 2 to 3 day.

**I use a hearing impaired phone # and

will receive your calls via email **

(Aimee again - I'm not sure how it could be a scam since I'll have the money in hand before pickup. Is it just oddly worded because she's hearing impaired? Is she having somebody else pick it up because she can't drive and doesn't want to send actual cash through the mail?)

Are you sure?

Sorry I'm sounding wishy washy. I would hate to say no if the reason it's so oddly worded is because she's deaf/hard of hearing (I know from experience, in college, that often a HOH person's grammar is much different than ours if they're using special equipment or only have used ASL). I would feel like scum :(

I already replied once (which is why I found it odd she was asking about the price again - this is the second e-mail).

What could somebody gain by sending me a certified check? Lol.

Oy - or are they looking to scope the place? (I watch too much television...)

Could still be scam, even with a check mailed to you. Until the check clears the bank, don't do ANYTHING!

That's why I hesitate to call it a scam right off the bat. She said that she would pick it up after the check clears the bank and I have the money?

The check is written off a fake account that isn't caught right away. I don't think waiting for a check to "clear" guarantees the funds are real. I have heard f scams where the bank initially releases funds tpbut then a couple of weeks later realizes the account is fraudulent and takes back the $$.

I am betting she uses the hearing impaired claim as a way to avoid phone calls. And I'm nearly positive this reason is overseas, from a former British colony.

I always put that in my initial sales ad: "cash transactions only". If it's an item over $300, I will also take a PayPal, but only a verified account backed by a credit card.

I did put that in my initial ad (cash only).

I'm not very pay pal savvy - why does it need to be backed by a credit card?

The check is written off a fake account that isn't caught right away. I don't think waiting for a check to "clear" guarantees the funds are real. I have heard f scams where the bank initially releases funds tpbut then a couple of weeks later realizes the account is fraudulent and takes back the $$.

I am betting she uses the hearing impaired claim as a way to avoid phone calls. And I'm nearly positive this reason is overseas, from a former British colony.

Yikes!!!

Ok I googled part of the email and it matched a bunch of scams. Definitely report! To craigslist!

https://www.google.com/search?q=I+will+make+arrangements+for+pickup+as+soon+as+you+have+your+money+I+am+completely+satisfied+with+the+advert+and+the+payment+will+be+delivered+within+2+to+3+day&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

Eta: typing fast on iPad make me sound like the on-native speaker. Report to Craigslist! Lol

I did put that in my initial ad (cash only).

I'm not very pay pal savvy - why does it need to be backed by a credit card?

Anybody can set up a PayPal account to transfer personal funds. If someone is legitimately experienced with PayPal transactions, he will most likely have followed the process a bit further and gotten verified, plus have an account with deeper pockets (ie, a credit card attached to the account). This is just one additional thing I use to measure a potential buyer's seriousness. I may just be a PayPal snob, but I prefer not to be the test case for a new PayPal user. I am that way in part due to not having time to coach strangers through the process of setting up an account, and partly because I only take Paypal for high dollar items that I only want to sell to serious buyers.

AMDG

it sounds like a scam to me but I'll reply on another issue.

Most deaf folks in the US have a video phone and if they use a service like Sorenson for the call interpreter, the voice message can be delivered via email. So that part makes sense. However, if that were the case, you'd just be able to call. The problem when hearing ppl call is that they are thrown off when the interpreter answers and often hang up. Many deaf try to give a heads up to ppl who may not know.

I would still exercise caution and never provide my personal info.

Deaf are like hearing: they come in all flavors including crazy.

We use Paypal.  I'm not exactly sure what "legitimately experienced" actually means, but we've used Paypal for years.  We aren't verified.  But our pockets would likely be considered pretty darn deep by just about anyone's standards.

To the OP -- It absolutely screams "scam" to me.

yes - it is a scam.  do not reply.  forward and report to craigslist then delete it from your computer.

I knew a deaf couple, and I've used the deaf interpreter service.   someone who is deaf can STILL bring cash to pay for the item when they pick it up.

Here is what Craigslist currently has on their scam page. And just a note, i have received that exact same email that you did. Don't fall for it. You will be held responsible weeks later when the bank finds out the certified check was a fraudulent one.

personal safety help forum

You can thwart would-be scammers by following these common-sense rules

DEAL LOCALLY WITH FOLKS YOU CAN MEET IN PERSON - follow this one rule and avoid 99% of scam attempts.

NEVER WIRE FUNDS VIA WESTERN UNION, MONEYGRAM or other wire service - anyone who asks you to do so is likely a scammer.

FAKE CASHIER CHECKS & MONEY ORDERS ARE COMMON - BANKS WILL HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE when the fake is discovered weeks later.

CRAIGSLIST IS NOT INVOLVED IN ANY TRANSACTION, and does not handle payments, provide escrow, "buyer protection" or "seller certification"

NEVER GIVE OUT FINANCIAL INFORMATION (bank account number, social security number, eBay/PayPal info, etc.)

AVOID DEALS INVOLVING SHIPPING OR ESCROW SERVICES and know that ONLY A SCAMMER WILL "GUARANTEE" YOUR TRANSACTION.

DO NOT RENT HOUSING OR PURCHASE GOODS SIGHT-UNSEEN - that amazing rental or cheap item may not exist.

DO NOT SUBMIT TO CREDIT OR BACKGROUND CHECKS until you have met the job interviewer or landlord/agent in person.

Who should I notify about fraud or scam attempts?

U.S. Federal

Internet Fraud Complaint Center

FTC Video: How to report scams to the FTC

FTC online complaint form

FTC toll free hotline: 877-FTC-HELP (877-382-4357)

Consumer Sentinel/Military (for reports from services members or their families)

SIIA Software and Content Piracy reporting

resources for Ohio residents

Ohio Attorney General Consumer Complaints

Canada

Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre or 888-495-8501 (toll-free)

RCMP

If you are defrauded by someone you met in person, contact your local police department.

If you suspect that a craigslist post may be part of a scam, please send us the details

Recognizing scams

Most scams involve one or more of the following:

inquiry from someone far away, often in another country

Western Union, Money Gram, cashier's check, money order, shipping, escrow service, or a "guarantee"

inability or refusal to meet face-to-face before consumating transaction

Examples of Scams

1. Someone claims craigslist will guarantee a transaction, certify a buyer/seller, OR will handle or provide protection for a payment.

These claims are fraudulent, as craigslist does not have any role in any transaction.

Scammer will often send an official looking (but fake) email that appears to come from craigslist, offering a guarantee, certifying a seller, handle payments.

2. distant person offers a genuine-looking (but fake) cashier's check

you receive an email (examples below) offering to buy your item, or rent your apartment, sight unseen.

cashier's check is offered for your sale item, as a deposit for an apartment, or for your services.

value of cashier's check often far exceeds your item - scammer offers to "trust" you, and asks you to wire the balance via money transfer service

banks will often cash fake checks AND THEN HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE WHEN THE CHECK FAILS TO CLEAR, sometimes including criminal prosecution.

scam often involves a 3rd party (shipping agent, business associate owing buyer money, etc)

3. Someone requests wire service payment via Western Union or MoneyGram:

Scam "bait" items include apartments, laptops, TVs, cell phones, tickets, and other high value items

Often claim that an MTCN or confirmation code is needed before he can withdraw your money - this is FALSE, once you've wired money, it is GONE.

Common countries currently include: Nigeria, Romania, United Kingdom, Ukraine, Spain, Italy, Netherlands - but could be anywhere

Apartment listing may be local, but landlord/owner is "travelling" or "relocating" and needs you to wire money to them abroad

Deal often seems too good to be true, price is too low, rent is below market, etc

4. distant person offers to send you a money order and then have you wire money:

this is ALWAYS a scam, in our experience - the cashier's check is FAKE

sometimes accompanies an offer of merchandise, sometimes not

scammer often asks for your name, address, etc for printing on the fake check

deal often seems too good to be true

5. distant seller suggests use of an online escrow service.

most online escrow sites are FRAUDULENT, operated by scammers

for more info, do a google search on "fake escrow" or "escrow fraud"

6. distant seller asks for a partial payment upfront, after which he will ship goods

he says he trusts you with the partial payment

he may say he has already shipped the goods

deal often sounds too good to be true

7. foreign company offers you a job receiving payments from customers, then wiring funds

foreign company may claim it is unable to receive payments from its customers directly

you are typically offered a percentage of payments received

this kind of "position" may be posted as a job, or offered to you via email

Actual scam emails sent to craigslist users:

Hi,

I am selling this car because my platoon has been sent back to Afganistan and don't want it get old in my backyard. The price is low because I need to sell it before November 16th. It has no damage, no scratches or dents, no hidden defects. It is in immaculate condition, meticulously maintained and hasn't been involved in any accident...I do have the title , clear, under my name. The Denali has 35,000 miles VIN# 1GKEK63U16J138428 .

It is still available for sale if interested, price as stated in the ad $4,300. The car is in Baltimore, MD, in case it gets sold I will take care of shipping. Let me know if you are interested, email back.

Regards!!!

First of all I want to thank you for your interest for my car. I sell it at this price($2,980.00 ) because I have been divorced recently. Now the car is in my property and as a woman i don't need it. This car is in excellent working conditions, no scratches, flaws or any kind of damage, slightly used in 100% working and looking conditions and comes with a clear title.

From the beginning you have to know that for the payment I request only secure pay, I prefer the payment to be done using eBay services. We will use a safe payment method because I am affiliated at eBay and I have a purchase protection account for $20,000.00 The final price that I want for this car is $2,980.00 including shipping and handling.

If you are interested in buying it please provide me your full name and address so I can initiate the deal through eBay.

I will wait your answer very soon.

Hello,

I am looking for caring and honest person to watch my 3 years old daughter while I work, during our stay in the state and a friend introduced craiglist.com to me, I was searching on Childcare Babysitter, when your Ad post pumped up as a Childcare and Babysitter, am interested in your service as my babysitter/Childcare.. My Little daughters is (Mellina ) , I would like you to watch over her while i am at work in your Location , I reside in United Kingdom,I will be coming to the States in about two weeks time , Cos I just got a contract with Boss Perfume fashion industry down there, I work as a model and the contract will last for a month, the duration of our service wil be from 10am to 5pm, monday thru friday, I would like to know if she will be taken care of in your childcare centre/Home, or the hotel room where i would be lodging, It's Okay by me, any of this ways.

My little daughter (Mellina ) is 3 years old, I will be waiting patiently for your email indicating the cost of everything,I mean the price for your service,how long you will be available to take care of her,how much u charge per week. she is just three years old as i have said earlier and i will be glad to update you and make the payment in advance to show you how serious i am. So please get back to me as soon as you can if you will be able to handle her and take very good care of her for me.

Email me back

Your's faithfully

> Thanks for your mail,Since the cost of your bike is $800 i just contacted

my client about the cost of your bike and it present condition and he said

there is no problem about that.So my client said he will be issuing you a

Certified Check of $4000 while you wire 3000 to me through Western Union

Money Trasfer and you deduct the cost of your bike $800 and keep the

remaining $200 which my client said you should take for the terms of

Transaction and Agreement between you and my client.So i will like you to

send me your full contact information to where my client will be sending you

> the Certified Check like this:

> name.........

> full address.............

> city...............

> state.............

> country..........

> zipcode............

> cell/office/home phone number.......................

> I will look forward to the requested information as soon as possible so

that the check can be sent out to you immediately And do get back to me

with the Pics of the bike so tha! t my client will be Able to see What he

is paying off.Get back to me immediately. Looking torwards your

> respond,

> Best Regards.

FORMAT: mobile regular

Still have questions? try our help desk discussion forum. [?] You can also send us a note.

Okey dokey. I'm not dealing with her any longer. You guys saved my rear end! Lol. That is so ODD. What is to be gained by them incurring a fine from the bank (or, rather, causing ME to incur a fine at the bank for a fraudulent check). They gain nothing? Is it just to be an a*s? :p

There's always a catch to it.

One possibility is that they will "accidentally" send you a phony cashier's check for the wrong amount, so you'll "owe" them money back... and send it to them before their check bounces. Another is that they will want to deposit the check directly into your bank account "for safety" and they'll need your bank account information to do it.

There are several similar scams out there, but every one of them ends up with an innocent person giving them money.

I'm glad you've decided not to deal with that person. It wouldn't have ended well for you.

OP, one thing to watch for, the buyer never refers specifically to the item you listed. They refer to it as the 'advert', say they will be buying from you, and like you said they don't seem to remember that you've told them the price. That's a clue that this is a generic scam email, they could send this to any seller. If you were legitimately buying from someone, wouldn't you mention the item? 'Hi, I'm interested in the 'x' you have listed.' If something seems off, it's ok to back out just because it doesn't feel right even if you can't quite figure out why.

Don't respond any further, even with an apology or explanation. You will likely not hear from them again, and if you do just ignore it.

If you indicated that you were biting this, they would have then said they needed you to send them some money back once they sent a overpayment via fake check. Saying they are hearing impaired is part of the scam. Protects them from you calling and it plants the seed in your mind that they are to be in need of your pity. They are capitalizing on many people's tendency to idealize, protect and/or infanticize people with disabilities.

Be careful with PayPal as a seller too. My brother sold someone a laptop that was in great condition. The buyer claimed it was broken. He shipped it back for return, my brother and his husband confirmed it was working fine. Per the buyer, they shipped it back to him. He again claimed it was broken and filed a claim with Paypal, used the first return shipping information to "prove" to PayPal that he'd returned the computer and Paypal deducted the money from my brother's account even though he had emails and shipping information to prove the computer had been returned to the buyer. Buyer never returned the laptop again. He got a perfectly functioning newer MacBook Pro for free. My brother and his husband got cheated out of the proceeds they were planning to use to fund their younger daughter's playschool tuition.

Cash is best. Cash and local. Cash. Cash. Cash.