Menu

I was bold tonight. Very bold.

Nestof3

There's an area in my city where people are notorious for switching lanes at the last minute -- being in the wrong lane ensures they make it through the light. I'm always alert at this area. Tonight, with practically no other vehicles around, this woman jerked into my lane in order to enter the Walgreen's parking lot. I slammed on the brakes and honked. I proceeded to park and find her in the store. I calmly but firmly asked her if she was the driver who cut me off. She said, "I'm sorry if I was." I queried, "Well, was it you I honked at or not?" She conceded, "Yes." I asked her if she saw me there, and I accused her of driving aggressively. I then told her to be more careful and left.

For those who don't know, our two-year old Honda Odyssey was totaled last year after being paid for. We got a new Sienna about a year ago -- which we are still paying on. I have no tolerance anymore for reckless drivers.

I'm glad this worked out okay for you but I wouldn't do it again.  I am personally acquainted with someone who felt they had no choice but to pull a gun on someone when they were confronted.  And yes, he pulled the trigger and spent some uncomfortable weeks in jail.  In the end, charges were dropped, but a man is still dead and his life is very, very hard for him now.  You just never know what kind of reaction you are going to get from the other party.  I'd rather be safe than be right.

Yeah, she looked pretty harmless -- arms full of junk food and soda. Had she dropped it all to start reaching for something, I would have been out of there. It's not about being right. People need to understand that last-minute decisions and not being careful behind the wheel takes lives too. The guy that rear-ended my family and could have killed them never got the tongue-lashing he should have for what was most likely texting while driving on he interstate. Instead, he bragged on Facebook that he got a new Jeep out of it.

My neighborhood has a very low crime-rate. I'm sorry, but I am certain I wasn't in danger. She stayed very calm and just looked sort of embarrassed.

Yes, I live in a very low, virtually non-existent crime area.  The incident I referred to was just up the street from me.  These guys were both professional men earning well over six figures.  They both have families.  You just never know.  They guy who pulled the trigger is one of the meekest people I know.  I would never in a million years have guessed that he would be involved in a situation that would land him in jail.  You can never be certain.  You're just lucky you approached the right person.

Then I consider myself lucky. But, I also don't understand why meek people go around packing guns, but I guess some do. And really, to shoot someone for confronting him about something? He sounds like a time bomb -- not a meek person.

Then I consider myself lucky. But, I also don't understand why meek people go around packing guns, but I guess some do. And really, to shoot someone for confronting him about something? He sounds like a time bomb -- not a meek person.

The confrontation was quite a bit more confrontational and literally in your face than you describe in your situation.  Let's just say the confrontation escalated.  You just don't know how another person is going to react and that's why I wouldn't do what you did.  But really, I'm glad you're safe and it worked out well for you.

Of course I'm glad not to have died over it, but poor driving is becoming an epidemic, and I'm just getting tired of driving so defensively while people have their important phone conversations and wreckless detours for their sugar fix. Sometimes I just feel like speaking up.

I'm glad this worked out okay for you but I wouldn't do it again.  I am personally acquainted with someone who felt they had no choice but to pull a gun on someone when they were confronted.  And yes, he pulled the trigger and spent some uncomfortable weeks in jail.  In the end, charges were dropped, but a man is still dead and his life is very, very hard for him now.  You just never know what kind of reaction you are going to get from the other party.  I'd rather be safe than be right.

I was thinking this exactly. I live in the same state as the OP and gun rights are golden. Some people I know are very rabid about their concealed carry and the behavior of aggressive drivers is out of control (at least in my part of the state). You really never know what you will get with a confrontation. 

My most aggressive response to bad driving behavior is to say rude things and curse words with my windows rolled so no one can hear. No, it doesn't inform the other driver how I feel about their driving, but I get it off my chest, take a deep breath and move on. 

Good for you! My kids are learning, unfortunately, that bad drivers are everywhere and we have to be extra careful to avoid accidents. Yesterday my favorite bad driver was texting on his phone and holding a lit cigarette with the same hand while driving through the HRBT. I have my parents here for a visit and we were all amazed at this guy's blatant disregard for everyone else. 

I can completely understand your frustration and want to give you a pat on the back for your confronting her while agreeing with the warnings.  I know someone that is always packing and you would never guess it. He looks and acts like Bill Gates. He is very meek, soft spoken, and slow to anger but also nervous about confrontations. I could see his personality changing in one. He is the owner of a big company and I personally know that he has a gun when he fires people just in case.

I was thinking this exactly. I live in the same state as the OP and gun rights are golden. Some people I know are very rabid about their concealed carry and the behavior of aggressive drivers is out of control (at least in my part of the state). You really never know what you will get with a confrontation.

My most aggressive response to bad driving behavior is to say rude things and curse words with my windows rolled so no one can hear. No, it doesn't inform the other driver how I feel about their driving, but I get it off my chest, take a deep breath and move on.

This sort of fear over people owning weapons makes me wonder if a gun ban wouldn't be a good idea. The fact that I should be worried about having a calm confrontation with someone packing a piece because the person may turn all Western on me tells me the public cannot be trusted with their weapons.

But, had the idiot who totaled our van hit my family head-on, I am certain some would not be here today, so perhaps I am a little bolder than some. I probably fear death by vehicle more than death by gun in a populated Walgreen's.

Good for you! My kids are learning, unfortunately, that bad drivers are everywhere and we have to be extra careful to avoid accidents. Yesterday my favorite bad driver was texting on his phone and holding a lit cigarette with the same hand while driving through the HRBT. I have my parents here for a visit and we were all amazed at this guy's blatant disregard for everyone else.

I yelled at a woman the other day on the bridge to the HRBT. Traffic was stop-and-go, but she was doing more stopping because she was texting -- with passengers who could have been doing the urgent texting. I got her attention by lightly tapping the horn and then told her to stop texting. It is illegal here.

I can completely understand your frustration and want to give you a pat on the back for your confronting her while agreeing with the warnings. I know someone that is always packing and you would never guess it. He looks and acts like Bill Gates. He is very meek, soft spoken, and slow to anger but also nervous about confrontations. I could see his personality changing in one. He is the owner of a big company and I personally know that he has a gun when he fires people just in case.

Again, pushing me more and more toward thinking gun owners may not be as responsible as they want everyone to believe. If two people cannot have a calm, verbal disagreement without drawing, humans are pretty un-evolved.

Duel anyone?

Can you call the police department and ask that they set an officer on that corner to start writing tickets? I think it would be worth a trip to the city council to speak on why that area should be VERY heavily patrolled.

That is an excellent idea. Thank you!

My neighborhood has a very low crime-rate. I'm sorry, but I am certain I wasn't in danger. She stayed very calm and just looked sort of embarrassed.

She never ever expected to be confronted. People honk and go about their business and there is no discomfort to the aggressive/thoughtless driver's behavior whatsoever. You may have just given her the necessary motivation to think ahead and not do that again.

There's an area in my city where people are notorious for switching lanes at the last minute -- being in the wrong lane ensures they make it through the light. I'm always alert at this area. Tonight, with practically no other vehicles around, this woman jerked into my lane in order to enter the Walgreen's parking lot. I slammed on the brakes and honked. I proceeded to park and find her in the store. I calmly but firmly asked her if she was the driver who cut me off. She said, "I'm sorry if I was." I queried, "Well, was it you I honked at or not?" She conceded, "Yes." I asked her if she saw me there, and I accused her of driving aggressively. I then told her to be more careful and left.

For those who don't know, our two-year old Honda Odyssey was totaled last year after being paid for. We got a new Sienna about a year ago -- which we are still paying on. I have no tolerance anymore for reckless drivers.

Hmm . . . I always try to give grace in these situations.  Maybe she had a bad day, maybe her mind was wandering about a to do list and she suddenly realized that she needed to pick up something at Walgreen's.  Have you never made a last minute decision when driving that caused someone else to have to adjust their driving in order to avoid an accident?  I know I have and have been embarrassed enough but I can't imagine my reaction if someone chased me down in a store.  I'd be the one who was afraid that you were packing a gun and ready to shoot me down if you felt it was necessary to made such an effort.

I realize that you and your family were in a bad accident and that must have been very difficult but that's a risk whenever we get into an automobile.  We are responsible to drive in such a way that when the unexpected happens we can do what we can to avoid an accident.  You are never going to get everyone to drive in a responsible manner and probably all that you accomplished with this lady was to have her go home and talk about the crazy lady that chased her into a store :)

I'm sorry that you have to deal with stupid people and I understand your frustration, but if you would have done that to me I would have thought you were a whack-a-doodle. Am I the only one that thinks someone following me into a store just to tell me I am a bad driver is crazy? I would not drive like that, but if someone approached me like that my guard would immediately go up. You are lucky she was a shy person. I would have either given some words back or completely ignored you and walked away. No guns, but it would not have been such an easy confrontation. I know your experiences have caused you to be sensitive about this issue. It is jmo that that was a little over the top though. Now, I think calling the police and asking them to monitor that section is a great idea.

No, I honestly don't change lanes at the last second to enter a store parking lot or because I may miss my turn. I have been in situations where I could, but I stay in my lane and go another route so as not to cut a person off suddenly. You just make a u-turn and try again. It's not my right when driving to endanger others for the sake of my own convenience. Driving should not be that defensive of an activity.

As for this area, people are always intentionally being in the outer turn lane (which is less popular) to ensure getting through the light. They then rush to change lanes because most really want to be in the far right lane as opposed to the inner one. It happens every single time I get off the interstate there. This is the me-first attitude that causes accidents. These people have very little time to get over in the lane they want because another light is right there. So, they drive recklessly to do so.

Not to mention, changing lanes that quickly prevents a person from checking their mirrors and using their turn signals. All law-breaking acts. You don't do this because you realize at the last minute you need something from the store.

Hmm . . . I always try to give grace in these situations. Maybe she had a bad day, maybe her mind was wandering about a to do list and she suddenly realized that she needed to pick up something at Walgreen's. Have you never made a last minute decision when driving that caused someone else to have to adjust their driving in order to avoid an accident? I know I have and have been embarrassed enough but I can't imagine my reaction if someone chased me down in a store. I'd be the one who was afraid that you were packing a gun and ready to shoot me down if you felt it was necessary to made such an effort.

I realize that you and your family were in a bad accident and that must have been very difficult but that's a risk whenever we get into an automobile. We are responsible to drive in such a way that when the unexpected happens we can do what we can to avoid an accident. You are never going to get everyone to drive in a responsible manner and probably all that you accomplished with this lady was to have her go home and talk about the crazy lady that chased her into a store :)

That's okay. I am perfectly fine with you viewing me as a crazy person in the situation. I, on the other hand, am perfectly comfortable letting someone know that this sort of driving has to stop. I guess that sort of honesty is only allowed from police officers. I like to think I have the same freedom of speech and can make a difference in society without displaying a badge of authority.

I'm sorry that you have to deal with stupid people and I understand your frustration, but if you would have done that to me I would have thought you were a whack-a-doodle. Am I the only one that thinks someone following me into a store just to tell me I am a bad driver is crazy? I would not drive like that, but if someone approached me like that my guard would immediately go up. You are lucky she was a shy person. I would have either given some words back or completely ignored you and walked away. No guns, but it would not have been such an easy confrontation. I know your experiences have caused you to be sensitive about this issue. It is jmo that that was a little over the top though. Now, I think calling the police and asking them to monitor that section is a great idea.

Everything worked out OK in Walgreen's!  (Are they giving away free money in there that's it's worth cutting off a minivan?)

No one is gauranteed a risk-free trip to the drugstore, a risk-free car ride anywhere, or guaranteed that you will not be perceived as a junk-food laden nonthreat, or a whackadoodle.  Name any event that is risk-free.  We just don't like being confronted with the consequences of our actions we wanted to believe there were none.

Hmm . . . I always try to give grace in these situations.  Maybe she had a bad day, maybe her mind was wandering about a to do list and she suddenly realized that she needed to pick up something at Walgreen's.  Have you never made a last minute decision when driving that caused someone else to have to adjust their driving in order to avoid an accident?  I know I have and have been embarrassed enough but I can't imagine my reaction if someone chased me down in a store.  I'd be the one who was afraid that you were packing a gun and ready to shoot me down if you felt it was necessary to made such an effort.

I realize that you and your family were in a bad accident and that must have been very difficult but that's a risk whenever we get into an automobile.  We are responsible to drive in such a way that when the unexpected happens we can do what we can to avoid an accident.  You are never going to get everyone to drive in a responsible manner and probably all that you accomplished with this lady was to have her go home and talk about the crazy lady that chased her into a store :)

I agree.  You never know what happened to her that day.  Maybe her husband died recently, maybe her kids are sick, she could've been fired, she could have a chronic illness and doesn't know how she's going to make it through another day.  You never know.  Everyone has something going on.  

Yes, there are times where I cut someone off or made a stupid decision while driving and felt awful about it. If they would've followed me into the store, I probably would've started sobbing.  I'm very happy they gave me a horn honk or grace only, and not a lecture or tongue thrashing.

Giving grace to other human beings is the kind thing to do.  One might say it's the evolved thing to do.

I agree.  You never know what happened to her that day.  Maybe her husband died recently, maybe her kids are sick, she could've been fired, she could have a chronic illness and doesn't know how she's going to make it through another day.  You never know.  Everyone has something going on.  

Yes, there are times where I cut someone off or made a stupid decision while driving and felt awful about it. If they would've followed me into the store, I probably would've started sobbing.  I'm very happy they gave me a horn honk or grace only, and not a lecture or tongue thrashing.

Giving grace to other human beings is the kind thing to do.  One might say it's the evolved thing to do.

You can be assertive and extend grace to others; the two are not mutually exclusive. Where did you get the idea from the OP that she gave the woman a "tongue thrashing"?

Pondering this while in the shower. I've been taking that route since I was 16. I know that someone is going to change lanes illegally at the last second to get in the lane he really wanted in the first place. I drive with my foot near the brake every time in anticipation. I almost didn't stop in time with that level of alertness.

My friends (84-year old man killed by drunk driver by being hit head-on -- I just posted about it) probably wasn't prepared to swerve at every car that approached him just in case the guy moved into the wrong lane. It was not his responsibility to avoid being hit by the drunk driver -- the guy breaking the law. Now, I drive as defensively as I can, but it's still the fault of the person breaking the law that the accident would have occurred.

You can be assertive and extend grace to others; the two are not mutually exclusive. Where did you get the idea from the OP that she gave the woman a "tongue thrashing"?

I was very calm and polite. I even started with, "excuse me, mam." I stood quite a bit away from her when I spoke. I even said, "Please be more careful."

This sort of driving is dangerous -- changing lanes at the last minute -- she actually crossed two lanes and then braked to enter the lot -- not putting turn signal on. Endangering someone. It's also illegal.

The bold part referred to the fact that I wanted her to know that I was a real person that could have been hit because of her driving. Normally I just mutter to myself the facts.

So I suppose grace should just be extended to the drunk driver too?

Again, at least one person pulls this every time at this light. They just don't brake to enter Walgreen's.

The only reason grace is being mentioned is because she didn't actually cause an accident or kill someone. And that was honestly because I am trained to know the danger of that area the same way my husband is hyper vigilant when riding his motorcycle. If one of your family members were to die, God forbid, because of this "me" attitude on the road, I wonder if you'd have the same feeling of calm and grace.

And, please stop saying I yelled at her. I never raised my voice.

Doing stuff like that I think is pretty risky. Luckily the person didn't turn out to be a psycho. My thought is if they drive like an ass they probably are an ass. I stay away from them.

On the other hand, I too make mistakes and I'd be freaked out if someone followed me to yell at me about it.

^^^This.

Following another driver into a store to confront them is not normal behavior.

I've tried to use a preferable lane before hoping I can get over in time to the lane I want. It happens often on the way to piano. There have been times I wasn't able to, so I just do a u-turn. Changing lanes in such a way as to potentially harm someone is not worth it to me.

But every day, people decide here that their time is worth the risk.

It's fine that few people agree here, and I don't need to change your mind on this. But, I will speak mine.

^^^This.

And you are entitled to this opinion in the same way I am entitled to the opinion that when a woman drives in such a way as to inflict harm on another (either by being reckless, texting or driving drunk), I feel the freedom to address it and ask her to be more considerate.

IMO, I feel that if this regularly happens at Walgreens then the best action is talking to the police and hopefully getting a traffic cop to hang out there. Or talking to your local representatives.

Confronting one person isn't going to change much of anything.

My exact conversation:

Excuse me mam, are you the one that just cut me off after getting off the interstate to enter Walgreen's? (I knew it was her, but I wanted to open with a question)

If I am, I'm sorry.

Did someone honk at you afterward?

Yes

That was me. I had to slam on my brakes. I think that was a little aggressive, don't you?

Yes.

Thank you. Please be more careful.

No yelling. No threats. But I do hope despite the fact that she has a funny story to tell that she is more mindful that vehicles are not just machines on the road but driven by real people.

IMO, I feel that if this regularly happens at Walgreens then the best action is talking to the police and hopefully getting a traffic cop to hang out there. Or talking to your local representatives.

Confronting one person isn't going to change much of anything.

I do think this is a great idea. Hopefully it goes over better than the issue at the other end of the same intersection. The law was changed years ago making it illegal to turn on red between 3-6 on weekdays. People disregard it. It sounds silly, but it backs up cross traffic which ends in total chaos. Anyway, they posted an officer there. In my years of driving that intersection and seeing person after person violate it, I've never seen an officer respond. The officers always have their head down when it happens.

That's okay. I am perfectly fine with you viewing me as a crazy person in the situation. I, on the other hand, am perfectly comfortable letting someone know that this sort of driving has to stop. I guess that sort of honesty is only allowed from police officers. I like to think I have the same freedom of speech and can make a difference in society without displaying a badge of authority.

I don't think anyone is questioning whether you have freedom of speech, only the wisdom of exercising it in this way.

While she may have seemed mild-mannered, you have no way of knowing if that really is her personality. She could have followed you out to your car, taken your license number and followed you home. She could have told a more volatile DH/boyfriend who may have come knocking on your door or worse. Then your children/DH could also have been exposed to harm.

I agree that it is frightening when other people's poor driving affects our safety. However, your behavior (following her into a store to confront her - even in a calm tone) also was unsafe, and frankly disproportionate to the offense. The horn toot was probably sufficient.

In our society, I do think that that kind of honesty should be left to the police. I think what you did only made you feel better, and could have not turned out as nice and neat as it did. I would never approach a stranger like that. It is not wise, in the world we live in. You do have freedom of speech, but you do not have authority, so I think it is naive of you to think what you did made any real difference.

I understand your opinions, and they are perfectly valid ones. I acted on my own, and I am comfortable with what I did. I live with the mindset that what I do makes a difference.

I don't think anyone is questioning whether you have freedom of speech, only the wisdom of exercising it in this way.

While she may have seemed mild-mannered, you have no way of knowing if that really is her personality. She could have followed you out to your car, taken your license number and followed you home. She could have told a more volatile DH/boyfriend who may have come knocking on your door or worse. Then your children/DH could also have been exposed to harm.

I agree that it is frightening when other people's poor driving affects our safety. However, your behavior (following her into a store to confront her - even in a calm tone) also was unsafe, and frankly disproportionate to the offense. The horn toot was probably sufficient.

In our society, I do think that that kind of honesty should be left to the police. I think what you did only made you feel better, and could have not turned out as nice and neat as it did. I would never approach a stranger like that. It is not wise, in the world we live in. You do have freedom of speech, but you do not have authority, so I think it is naive of you to think what you did made any real difference.

^^^This.

Indeed.

I think following her just for the sake of telling her what a bad driver she was was more mentally unbalanced than her cutting people off to turn into a drug store.

Weird.

And it sounds like she had no clue wth you were talking about and just said "I'm sorry if I was" and I'm yes I guess you were honking at me in hopes the crazy lady in a snit goes away. I have the impression she was very much in a "don't further anger the crazy" mode. And I wouldn't blame her for it.

Because no matter how calm you claim you were, calm rational people don't follow people into parking lots and stores just to tell them how upsetting their driving was.

And this isn't anything like drunk drivers. If you thought she was a danger on the road, you call the cops. You don't follow the drunk into the store to confront them and then go home while they get back in their car and go where ever.

I also think its ridiculous to presume old ladies won't own guns.

Or that any dealings with a stranger needs to worry about being shot, guns or not.

I prefer the plan of just avoiding being an a$$ for the sake of not being an a$$. No gun necessary for incentive or enforcement.

I understand you feel this way about me. I do think she was a danger on the road, but I really didn't think to involve the police or bring that much drama. I wanted her to know that by ensuring she got through the light and then endangering me was not right. It's the same thing I would have said to her had she hit me, though I'm sure I wouldn't have been calm then. She may think I'm crazy and unbalanced. Many people here may think the same. You are entitled to that opinion of me. I, however, disagree.

Indeed.

I think following her just for the sake of telling her what a bad driver she was was more mentally unbalanced than her cutting people off to turn into a drug store.

Weird.

And it sounds like she had no clue wth you were talking about and just said "I'm sorry if I was" and I'm yes I guess you were honking at me in hopes the crazy lady in a snit goes away. I have the impression she was very much in a "don't further anger the crazy" mode. And I wouldn't blame her for it.

Because no matter how calm you claim you were, calm rational people don't follow people into parking lots and stores just to tell them how upsetting their driving was.

And this isn't anything like drunk drivers. If you thought she was a danger on the road, you call the cops. You don't follow the drunk into the store to confront them and then go home while they get back in their car and go where ever.

Am I the only one who finds it ironic that the OP was bothered by aggressive driving and her response was to be aggressive and confront the driver? Yes, I realize the OP states she was calm, but I believe one can be agressive and calm simultaneously.

And, I didn't claim she was mentally unbalanced. I claimed here that she broke the law and endangered me. I am worth more than getting into Walgreens for a quick sugar fix. I'm just comfortable letting a person know this. Well, I was a little nervous because I can talk big inside my van, but I'm not an aggressive, extroverted person with others.

Am I the only one who finds it ironic that the OP was bothered by aggressive driving and her response was to be aggressive and confront the driver? Yes, I realize the OP states she was calm, but I believe one can be agressive and calm simultaneously.

It's fine for you to find irony in it. And you are not required to believe any part of my story. Walking a few feet into Walgreens was worth it to me to tell her what I told her. I would have said the same thing had something similar happened in the library or the grocery store -- if the person's actions had threatened me. Had it been Walmart or the mall, I'm sure I would not have made the effort.

I wasn't bothered by an aggressive personality. I was bothered because her illegal driving was a threat to me. I did not act aggressively nor did I endanger her or break the law.

My exact conversation:

Excuse me mam, are you the one that just cut me off after getting off the interstate to enter Walgreen's? (I knew it was her, but I wanted to open with a question)

If I am, I'm sorry.

Did someone honk at you afterward?

Yes

That was me. I had to slam on my brakes. I think that was a little aggressive, don't you?

Yes.

Thank you. Please be more careful.

No yelling. No threats. But I do hope despite the fact that she has a funny story to tell that she is more mindful that vehicles are not just machines on the road but driven by real people.

Conversation like that or not, if you tracked me down in a store to tell me this, I'd think you were probably a wack job.  If I still had my mace I would have been pulling it out and having it ready.  

It's the quiet crazy ones that are sometimes the worst.  

And all it would have taken was for your very unsual response (tracking her down), and then you stepping too close into her personal space, and again the quiet crazy ones don't often have a good grasp of what is a proper distance, for her to think you were getting ready to attack her.  If it was me you would have put me on the defense.  

ETA: upon re reading I realized the quiet crazy comment could have applied to either of you, but in this case, I'd be viewing you and your respons as the quiet crazy one.