Menu

Nexus 7 vs Ipad or Ipad mini?

dlcricket

I'm thnking about buying a tablet. I used to plan to get an Apple product, because I've had two iPod Touches and have lots of apps. However, my smartphone is Android and I actually prefer it to the Apple iOS. I like the interface better, the ability to personalize, and I've downloaded a keyboard app that I love. It recognizes whether I'm typing in English or Spanish, and gives 3 options. It also learns my word patterns and makes accurate predictions.

I'm looking at the new Nexus 7.

Anyone want to help me decide?

I use the ipad to read the online newspaper & web surf

I use the Nexus 7 to read Kindle books, web surf, read email, & calculator

I don't use apps

We like them both for different things.  I would NOT spend the money for the mini ipad when you can get a Nexus for so much less.

I would NOT spend the money for the mini ipad when you can get a Nexus for so much less.

:iagree:

I have a Nexus 7 with WiFi and 32Gb storage; the older one, not the one that came out last month. My dd and I share it, and it is good enough for our needs. I read mail, browse the web and view some newspaper apps on it. She plays a couple of basic games on it.

I used an iPod for a few years. I disliked having to through iTunes to add a single song, and I want to have nothing to do with iTunes now.

I am not an Apple fan and I've been using Android since it came out.  I love it.

I would stick with what you are enjoying for certain.

My only issue with the Nexus 7 and other tablets like it is that you can't add more storage.  I am one of those people who like everything ON my device in case I have no access to wifi or other connection.

I have a 32 gb card in my phone and my tablet for audiobooks, mp3 lectures, videos, movies and photos as well as 16 gb of onboard storage.  I can't imagine having less, especially for audiobooks.

Ok, I will be the iPod supporter. I use mine for almost everything that I would use a computer for, but about once a week I do have to get on the computer to do some of my surveys and watch an occasional tv show episode that is not available on mobile devices.

We have three people using one Apple ID. We share lots of apps. When we do purchase apps, we can use the app on multiple devices. The same thing goes with iBook, Kendle, and iTunes content. At this point, I would not switch platforms because of how much we would have to repurchase (except for kindle stuff).

I will have to say that we are a long time Apple family from back before iTunes and iPods even existed, so I may be a bit biased. :-)

We've just got an ipad mini for schoolwork. The camera was much better than the tablets we looked at, which I thought was just a 'nice to have' but we've only had it a month and already we've used it a lot. It's fast becoming my go-to device for most things.

We got a refurbished mini from the Apple store, so that brought down the cost.  Before we decided we went to stores to try them out several times, and I spent some time comparing apps across the different platforms - a lot of apps are available for both operating systems, but not all, and there are some apps which are different on apple than on android. Maybe that could help you decide?

I have a Nexus--the only thing I don't like is that it is not compatible with Flash, so

You can sideload flash, and a compatible browser (I use Chrome for almost everything, and XScope when I need flash, which is infrequently).

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1931671 (I think there's a more recent version near the end of the thread)

(link to Flash apk... you need to permit 3rd party installations in the security settings)

I don't have a current list of compatible browsers.

Our Nexus 7 has had a few issues.  DS got a game that ended up having pop ups every 20 seconds.  We called Google Play, we did everything they said to do, and we still couldn't get it to stop, so we had to hard reset the entire device which upset ds a lot as he had to start over all of his games and lost his levels.

We have NEVER had any problems with our Apple devices.  I prefer Apple.

We HAVE had problems with Apple products. Over the years, our family has had to have two Touches and two Nanos replaced by Apple during the one-year warranty period due to hardware issues. I'm not saying that Android products or a Nexus would not have problems, only that it isn't unique to Nexus.

Our Nexus 7 has had a few issues.  DS got a game that ended up having pop ups every 20 seconds.  We called Google Play, we did everything they said to do, and we still couldn't get it to stop, so we had to hard reset the entire device which upset ds a lot as he had to start over all of his games and lost his levels.

We have NEVER had any problems with our Apple devices.  I prefer Apple.

We HAVE had problems with Apple products. Over the years, our family has had to have two Touches and two Nanos replaced by Apple during the one-year warranty period due to hardware issues. I'm not saying that Android products or a Nexus would not have problems, only that it isn't unique to Nexus.

It happens, no matter the system. iTunes wiped DH's work phone, and he had to build it up again from scratch. He was not happy.

I'll definitely be the Apple supporter, as I type this on my iPad mini and dgs sits next to me watching Disney Junior on his. We have TONS of Apple products, including (between us and our adult children/grandchildren) 2 iMacs, a MacBook pro, 8 iPhones, 3 iPads, and 3 iPad minis. IF we have had issues (DS had his power button stop working on his phone. His screen had a huge crack, but Apple replaced his phone with a new one on the spot. I thought for sure the crack would negate the warranty, but it didn't.) I've had the iPad, iPad 2, 3, and the mini. I love the mini because of the size and weight (I like to read on it and it's much nicer when I'm in bed than my full size pads.)

In the past my kids have had iPod minis, iPod nanos, iPod videos, and shuffles (we still have 3 shuffles - dh uses his every week when he cuts grass, ds keeps his in his car, and mine stays hooked up to aux in my van.)

I rarely use my computer. I LOVE all the apps. I LOVE how everything works so seamlessly with Apple products, and I LOVE that I haven't dealt with viruses in nearly ten years since my switch to Apple.

Yeah. Big fan!

Anyone have the new Nexus 7?

We don't (two 2012 models here), but a friend does. It's snappier than the old model, a bit crisper display, and has a welcome rear-facing camera, and is what I'd be buying if I was in the market for a 7" tab. There's apparently a spot of trouble with the GPS maintaining a lock -- not clear at this point if the issue is hardware or software. Otherwise I'm not hearing much chatter online.

We *might* upgrade the kids' tablets with a 2014 Nexus, but at this point there's nothing they can't run due to older hardware. Their current tablets were getting a bit laggy, but the latest Android update (to 4.3, same as the 2013 Nexus) took care of it.

Oh, completely off topic and I love, love, love my Google Chromecast. I can queue up educational vids on YouTube to run on the TV and music from my Play Music account. The Netflix capability is nice, but we already have a Roku. This is brand new and only has a small handful compatible apps, but I can hardly wait to see what's added next.

Right but I also got the impression that ipad may have much more in the way of textbooks, including those for college. Plus there are some very impressive apps out there:)

Google, Amazon and other services offer e-textbook sales rentals for a fraction of Apple's sales price. Oh, and they are not platform dependent in the sense you have to purchase a tablet from a specific company.