Menu

My redone, "inviting" HS room...it's done! PICS...

Halcyon

Beautiful! I love how it turned out. I am a basket fanatic, so I love all your baskets. What is above the computer desk, on the wall? I can't make them out.

Those are carved, decorative wood pieces that dh and I got in India during our honeymoon. We hope to bring the kids back there in a couple of years.

Wonderful, Halcyon. I think you definitely achieved your goal to make a cozy homeschool area. I love the soft rug, the round wood table, the "keep it simple" motto on the shelf, the microscope in the cabinet, and your owl bookends.

Thank you! I love the owl bookends too (DH thinks they are "twee" LOL what do men know??)

Its fabulous...I especially love the rug on the floor. Our schoolroom looks barren compared to yours.

Well, I decided to approach it as I would a living room, as opposed to a school room. I started thinking "Why do we always gravitate towards the living room during homeschool time?" And I realized it's because the LR has a very soft rug, a wonderfully comfy couch, warm inviting colors (muted browns and greens)...and so I figured I would try and mimic the feel of a living room in the homeschool. It's not QUITE as comfy as the living room, but it's much better. 

It's beautiful! Is it a garage???

Elise in NC

Yes,it is a third of our 3 car garage that DH converted into a HS room when we moved in a year ago. But it never felt "comfy" enough to me, so I got lots of great advice from the boards here and I warmed it up :) Thanks!

Did your DH run heating and air out there? How do you keep it adequately heated and cooled with the garage door still there? most of them are fairly thin.

I have begged DH to do this in our 2nd garage, but he is certain that we would need a new wall there and heating and air run out there and it would be more $$ than I think it would be.

Dawn

Our contractor told us to cut the board insulation (versus the roll) and put it in each individual frame of the doors behind the roller equipment. We haven't done it yet, but it should help a lot.

I love your room. One of these days I'll get our room set back up.

It's lovely! :)

and THANK YOU to all of you who gave me such wonderful suggestions in this thread! You all were so helpful, and I took many of your suggestions. I am thrilled. The only thing remaining to be done: the carpenter is coming to box in the washer dryer which you can see behind the couch--he is going to add shelving and doors so I can hide all my "extra" non-essential homeschooling stuff so there will be PLENTY of storage. So right now that area looks blech, but DH promises it will be done before school begins.

Drum roll.......... :)

6edfd0bd-e14c-4ba6-80fc-fd12a5534505_zps

94783f43-b70a-41ed-b20b-9b1d8037d8a5_zps

af40975a-6ab5-4e32-a42d-efd358fd60e8_zps

d1abfe2f-f669-4d08-b775-b699d7376518_zps

27ae1bc6-4cbd-4639-95b8-907cf493b98b_zps

4b600c3f-0ffd-4316-b80d-503d1f30ebd5_zps

It is fantastic! I hope you are very happy there.

Ahh, I see you live in Florida. I was so confused for a moment there. Where I live, upstate NY, anything in the garage in the winter months will freeze solid in a matter of hours. I am glad you won't be getting hypothermia while doing school in January. :lol:

Enjoy your new school room!

ER, um...dare I say it....Home Goods? :)

Hey, nothing wrong with that! I have a fair number of Home Goods goods! I was only hoping you wouldn't say a yard sale or Goodwill, in which there would be not a change I could ever find one!

I'm not a big collector of any themed objects, but I do love owls. And rabbits. And clocks. Those are three themes I could really get into collecting if I did collect things.

Hey, nothing wrong with that! I have a fair number of Home Goods goods! I was only hoping you wouldn't say a yard sale or Goodwill, in which there would be not a change I could ever find one!

I'm not a big collector of any themed objects, but I do love owls. And rabbits. And clocks. Those are three themes I could really get into collecting if I did collect things.

I love owls and rabbits too! And chickens.....