Menu

Disney Imagineering Science Videos are AWESOME!!!

I found 5 of them at our local library and we have been DEVOURING them.

http://www.dep-store...show=100&page=1

Here's one of them that we are going to use for the Physics portion of Science next year:

77D88VL00-2.jpg

clear1x1.gif

WINNER: Parents' Choice Gold Award, 2010

Newton’s Three Laws of Motion are at work in virtually every Disney theme park ride and attraction. The Walt Disney Imagineers demonstrate how they use Newton’s Three Laws to create some of the most exciting ride experiences possible. From the thrilling rockets of California Adventure's Golden Zephyr to the wild twists of California Screamin', students will learn to define acceleration, friction and motion. Best of all, they'll be able to see first-hand the relationship between the motion of objects and the forces that act on them.

Each Imagineering DVD includes a bonus "try it yourself" experiment and an interactive activity to reinforce key learnings.

So many topics that would be fun to watch and learn without feeling "teachy".

You are not my wallets friend.

No you are not.

(and I'm sending the link to my child to give to the youth librarian to spend HIS money on them - since we are so close and all!!!)

Check the library for sure. Ours had about 6 or 7 of them, I'm on the waiting list to get the other two that they have.

A super-pricy private school (think $25,000 annual tuition) in our area takes their middle schoolers on a Disney trip annually to learn the physics of roller coasters and such. I often think of how much more the students would learn (and how much money their parents would save) if they simply watched these videos. We've taken them out of the library over and over. Very fun and very educational!

I just checked Netflix, not available for streaming....I am bummed I have a little guy who would love these...and I can't afford to buy them....if anybody finds a cheap source, i would love to know.

Were there any available on disk? I can't find any on Netflix.

Were there any available on disk? I can't find any on Netflix.

Me neither! OR on Amazon prime OR at my library!

I can put in a request at my library b/c I would love to do a unit like pp mentioned with knex roller coasters. We even have a set.

I can only say that my kids have watched each one probably close to ten times. It's good stuff, and for us, well worth the $20/video.

I figure they would be that way here too - it will be a sloowwwww process to get them though. The one I want/need first if $24 on Amazon - and I can't get it this week.

Patience is a virtue right????

Well, I bought two used - cross your fingers they are ok.... i'm not having good luck on the used front these days! But, they are ones we can use in the next couple of weeks, so here is hoping.

Gee, given my horrid experience with BWB right now - here is hoping they show up in the next couple of weeks!

I kept requesting them through inter-library loan until my library bought the whole set.  Tracey,  Ozark Ramblings is my blog and I will try to make sure everything is tagged correctly but here is the final summary with all the links.

http://www.oramblings.blogspot.com/2013/06/science-of-disney-imagineering-levers.html

Cool beans, I will bookmark that post!! I just had to go hunt which one had Summit Plummit on it for DD - and then gave up lunch out this week/next to order it used. Thanks for the reviews/summaries too - they were really helpful.

SHe is loving them! Of course, she is the youngest and NOT the one I ordered them for :lol:

I just did an experiment. DD 10, DN's 12 and 9 were playing "minions" in the living room running around and having fun. I put the Electricity one in the DVD player and just waited. It wasn't more than 5 minutes before DN9 was watching, then DD10, and then DN12. They sat through the whole thing and then when it was over, started "zapping" each other and trying to conduct electricity by dragging their feet. 

I'd say they are good at grabbing kid's attention and teaching them something!