Menu

POLL! Which Smartphone to buy and why/why not?

sheryl

"IF" I get a smart phone, which one when you recommend and why/why not?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Which operating system?

2. 2. Which brand for Android?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I will say is in my experience avoid windows phones and especially avoid HTC windows phones. We've had 3 HTC windows phones and every single one has broken in some way. Fortunately dh's last phone broke while still under warranty, so now we're on HTC phone #4, we'll see how long it lasts.

I, on the other hand, have a Samsung galaxy s3 and absolutely love it.

Well I had to vote Apple and Other since the second question doesn't really pertain to Apple products lol...

I'm all for Apple products. DH has an S3 that he likes, though (we still like Apple stuff better), but he barely dropped it tonight and cracked the screen - not the top one (the one that is supposedly protective) but the LCD digitizer, and it became unresponsive. Sooo we just have to drop $170ish on a new one. Totally ticked. (Note: YES, he does have a case for it but it happened when he had the case off to change the battery.)

IOE, Apple products are a little more sturdy. When our iPad got dropped on the tile floor, it got cracked but didn't ruin the digitizer at all, and works great despite not being as pretty as it was before.

We've got a mix android and apple products. I personally massively prefer the android products. They win for me every time. I really like htc phones, their interface is very intuitive and the phones are good value. I have a friend who has a nokia lumia and that is an amazing phone too.

It seems to me that the vast majority of people love whatever smart phone they have. Maybe most people did thorough research before buying, or maybe smart phones are just so handy that almost everybody would love whatever they have.

I bought my first one a few months ago. Despite really, really not liking Apple as a company (and having said many times in the past that I'd never give them any of my money), I grudgingly went with an iPhone. After doing what I considered thorough research, I kept coming back to the fact that the across-the-board consensus of all the reviews I read seemed to be that the iPhone was the best built (hardware) smart phone and the easiest to use for first time users. I was tempted by the larger screens of the Galaxy, but the Samsung devices felt flimsy compared to an iPhone, and I wasn't convinced that I really wanted to be lugging around a larger device. So far I've been very pleased with my purchase.

Good luck! I suspect you'll love whatever you get.

I *hate* my Samsung Galaxy III S. Seriously.

I am biding my time til I can get back to iphone.

Same here. I hate this phone. US Cellular announced they'll have iphones by the end of the year- I'm counting down the days until I can get rid of this phone and move on to an iphone.

I keep wondering what's wrong with me- everyone I know loves their Samsung Galaxy III S - but I HATE mine.

My first smart phone was the original iPhone. I used it for YEARS. I dropped it all the time with no issues. It finally star acting haunted after years of hard use. I upgraded to a 3S (maybe? I has Siri . . . I'm not really in charge of technology around here.) So far, this model has worked well for me. It just does what it's supposed to. It doesn't glitch or crash or break when I drop it. (I do try not to.) I know people don't car for Apple products, but I use them because they are reliable and it buys me YEARS before I have to think about the next gadget.

Also, I like walking into Chipotle, skipping the line, and leaving with the food that I ordered and paid for on my app. I love that app :-)

I have an iphone. I love Apple products and I have always said they are far easier to use for those of us who are less techie, etc.....

BUT, my son got a Nexus 7 (Adroid) tablet this year and I have been playing with it and it has really changed through the years! It isn't that different in terms of ease of use from the Apple.

I am waiting until Fall when the new phones come out but if Apple's screen doesn't get bigger I may be jumping ship and getting a Samsung Galaxy Note 3!

4s is the first one with Siri.

Thanks for the tip about the Chipotle app. I had no idea!

My first smart phone was the original iPhone. I used it for YEARS. I dropped it all the time with no issues. It finally star acting haunted after years of hard use. I upgraded to a 3S (maybe? I has Siri . . . I'm not really in charge of technology around here.) So far, this model has worked well for me. It just does what it's supposed to. It doesn't glitch or crash or break when I drop it. (I do try not to.) I know people don't car for Apple products, but I use them because they are reliable and it buys me YEARS before I have to think about the next gadget.

Also, I like walking into Chipotle, skipping the line, and leaving with the food that I ordered and paid for on my app. I love that app :-)

I re-read your OP and it looks like you are looking at last year's model phones? If you want a free one????

The two best selling phones are the iPhone and the Galaxy phones. My guess is that for free you would be looking at the iPhone 4s and the Galaxy S3. Those are both soon to be 2 generations ago technology (in the Fall when the newer models come out). That doesn't make them bad, but you have been given a lot of latest model suggestions and those won't be free.

Thanks. OK, here are some follow up questions with more to come, probably. LOL! My pc / w8 will not let me paragraph, so bear with the poor formatting here. WHAT is HTC? I've recently heard NOT to buy windows, but wanted to hear from y'all say. Samsung seems to be strong. I like Apple, but the drawback, for me, seems to be that you can't "personalize" the interface like you can on the other ones.

Samsung Galaxy Note 2!!!

Look, it's a phone. Or is it a tablet? No--it's a phablet!

The best of all worlds. I use it for absolutely everything. Phone, GPS, music, camera, video, internet, games....no limit on what this baby can do!

:001_smile: What is a Note?

But, apps are available for "any" smartphone, no?

I have an iphone. I love Apple products and I have always said they are far easier to use for those of us who are less techie, etc.....

BUT, my son got a Nexus 7 (Adroid) tablet this year and I have been playing with it and it has really changed through the years! It isn't that different in terms of ease of use from the Apple.

I am waiting until Fall when the new phones come out but if Apple's screen doesn't get bigger I may be jumping ship and getting a Samsung Galaxy Note 3!

Thanks for the tip, Dawn. Is fall when the new year begins for new smartphone models?

Yes, usually Sept or Oct.

If you mentally tell yourself to wait until November, all of them *should* be out by then. The Apple (5s or 6 they haven't said yet) typically comes out then. The Galaxy Note 3 is slated to come out then. I don't know about a Galaxy S4 actually just came out, so it could be Sprint of '14 before you see a new S line.

Dawn

Thanks for the tip, Dawn. Is fall when the new year begins for new smartphone models?

I love my GS3, but I use a 3rd party launcher (Nova Prime), and I've turned off all the S-extras (S-voice , etc.) and I don't use the Samsung apps. I do like their camera app though. The Samsung (virtual) keyboard was the worst I'd ever used: I use SwiftKey, but the Google keyboard is good (and free).

That's one thing I love about android: I can change what I do not like.

A note is a "Phablet" meaning it is a phone but closer to the size of a tablet.

So, instead of buying 7" tablet (ipad mini size) and a phone, you could get both in an oversized phone.

The new note coming out in the Fall will have the faster processing system AND be 5.9" (or that is the rumor).

The Note and the S4 are both Android devices and run on Android operating systems. Apparently the S4 has a much faster processor than the Note, but the new Note coming out in the Fall will have the faster processor.

Honestly, I only have just started researching Androids. I got my first smart phone about 18 months ago (iPhone), so I am no expert, I just google a lot!

Dawn

PS: As far as top selling smart phones, you are really looking at the Galaxy S series (4 being the latest) and the iPhone. The Note is a larger version of the Galaxy S series.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/20/tech/mobile/galaxy-s4-top-smartphone

It's like A Galaxy S3, but small notepad size and with a pen. They are slick, and while I'm not usually impressed with Samsung apps and user interface (IMHO they try too hard), they've done a very nice job with the pen apps and integration in the Note 2.

I have a Samsung Stratosphere, and it has the flip out keyboard, and I really like that. It's just easier to type on, and it makes is possible for me to do more stuff easier when I am away from home, like responding to emails easier, typing into documents, etc. I like having easy access to my Google Drive, etc. Having the flip out keyboard does make the phone bulkier though, and at first, I didn't like it. It just felt like too much phone. But now I'm used to it I guess, and I appreciate having the ease and access. It makes a lot of things more convenient.

Of course, I am sure I could live without it. :)

But, apps are available for "any" smartphone, no?

Apps are phone specific. Sometimes the people who make them will make a version for iPhones AND androids, but they don't HAVE to. So far, Chipotle just hasn't developed an app for droids even though iPhone users have had it for years.

There is no legal requirement that app development be fair and sometimes your phone choice limits your app choices.

Apps are phone specific. Sometimes the people who make them will make a version for iPhones AND androids, but they don't HAVE to. So far, Chipotle just hasn't developed an app for droids even though iPhone users have had it for years.

And not everything is app-worthy. :) If I were ever to go to a Chipotle feeling the need to have pre-ordered, I could use this Web page:

https://order.chipotle.com

I will vote for DH. He uses both an iPhone s4 for work and and Android for personal use (1 year old-don't remember the version). He prefers the Android, but does like a few of Apples streamlined features. Overall, though he likes the Android wayyy better.

I have a Samsung S3 and have been very happy with it, although whenever I see someone pull out their iPhone I second guess myself.

I went with an Android phone because I wanted to be able to sync things with my laptop or desktop and it's my understanding that you can't do that iPhone to PC. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.) If I had a Mac I would have gone with the iPhone.

I have a Samsung Stratosphere, and it has the flip out keyboard, and I really like that. It's just easier to type on, and it makes is possible for me to do more stuff easier when I am away from home, like responding to emails easier, typing into documents, etc. I like having easy access to my Google Drive, etc. Having the flip out keyboard does make the phone bulkier though, and at first, I didn't like it. It just felt like too much phone. But now I'm used to it I guess, and I appreciate having the ease and access. It makes a lot of things more convenient.

Of course, I am sure I could live without it. :)

Yes, I have a Samsung Envy now that is a flip/qwerty keyboard. It's good to "feel" the keys as I'm used to that, but the keys are small. To me it really isn't bulky, but I really don't have anything to compare it to. :)

There is no legal requirement that app development be fair and sometimes your phone choice limits your app choices.

Ah, this is very helpful information!

And not everything is app-worthy. :) If I were ever to go to a Chipotle feeling the need to have pre-ordered, I could use this Web page:

https://order.chipotle.com

Ah, again, this is excellent. We go to Chipotle, but the pre-ordering is to save time, right? For this particular restaurant (the 2 we go to) are very time efficient. There really is not a long wait. Good, nmoira, thanks!

I have a Samsung S3 and have been very happy with it, although whenever I see someone pull out their iPhone I second guess myself.

I went with an Android phone because I wanted to be able to sync things with my laptop or desktop and it's my understanding that you can't do that iPhone to PC. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.) If I had a Mac I would have gone with the iPhone.

Well, yes. As little as I know about smartph, I'd say that's my understanding too. Use Android to sync with Windows pc and I phone for Apple computer.

Well, yes. As little as I know about smartph, I'd say that's my understanding too. Use Android to sync with Windows pc and I phone for Apple computer.

I have a Mac, and was more than happy to move all my music over to Google Play - it was free and painless. And I'm happy never to have to deal with iTunes again. If you have a large investment in video on iTunes, your choices are limited and somewhat extra-legal if you wish to view on an Android device.

As far as syncing, everything I have exists or is backed up to and accessible from "the cloud" now. Google contacts, GMail, Google Drive and Dropbox, Google Calendar, most of which I used on my Mac pre-smartphone. I can access these from any platform I wish. Most vendors except Apple (and Amazon's instant video... they're being jerks about not offering an Android app) make it easy for you to view your purchased products on any platform.

Here's the link to the Samsung Note: http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/galaxynote/note2/index.html?type=find

It's a beautiful thing :) In fact, I use it more than my computer now.

A note is a "Phablet" meaning it is a phone but closer to the size of a tablet.

So, instead of buying 7" tablet (ipad mini size) and a phone, you could get both in an oversized phone.

The new note coming out in the Fall will have the faster processing system AND be 5.9" (or that is the rumor).

The Note and the S4 are both Android devices and run on Android operating systems. Apparently the S4 has a much faster processor than the Note, but the new Note coming out in the Fall will have the faster processor.

Honestly, I only have just started researching Androids. I got my first smart phone about 18 months ago (iPhone), so I am no expert, I just google a lot!

Dawn

PS: As far as top selling smart phones, you are really looking at the Galaxy S series (4 being the latest) and the iPhone. The Note is a larger version of the Galaxy S series.

http://www.cnn.com/2...-top-smartphone

Great description!

I voted for what I currently have, and have had for several years now - Samsung smartphones running Andriod OS.

But I'll be changing to an iPhone later this year now that my carrier has it.

One word of caution about the Note: lots of people love it. I had it for two week and had huge wrist pain from it in the holding hand. My hands are small and I think because they curled around it (or tried to) they were in too painful a position since I am fine with a larger tablet. That's why I have the S4 now instead. I still miss that pull out pen and the writing to text conversion.

My dh also has the Samsung 'phablet'. Very, very cool, but too big for me. I'm glad he has it, however. I've watched movies on it when traveling. When I got a smartphone, I got the iPhone because it seemed easiest for the not -tech- savvy person I am. It's what I know, so I stick with it.

So I say Apple, but that doesn't mean it's the best, just the easiest one for me. My learning curve is pretty steep, and the Android my youngest son has confuses me greatly.

Thanks. OK, here are some follow up questions with more to come, probably. LOL! My pc / w8 will not let me paragraph, so bear with the poor formatting here. WHAT is HTC? I've recently heard NOT to buy windows, but wanted to hear from y'all say. Samsung seems to be strong. I like Apple, but the drawback, for me, seems to be that you can't "personalize" the interface like you can on the other ones.

HTC is a phone manufacturer like Apple, Blackberry, nokia etc...

Their phones seem popular here at least because their android interface (HTC Sense) is very intuitive to use so their phones make a good first smart phones because of it, they just also seem to fit in the hand well, some thought has really been put into it.

Well getting a smart phone taught me that I am a dummie and that my fingers are apparently fat and uncoordinated. I may go back to a flip-phone.

I can't go back to a flip-phone, but I must have gorilla fingers, as my iPhone texting errors are more hilarious than my normal errors. I am always so impressed with people who send beautiful, error-free texts.

I can't go back to a flip-phone, but I must have gorilla fingers, as my iPhone texting errors are more hilarious than my normal errors. I am always so impressed with people who send beautiful, error-free texts.

I have gorilla fingers too!!! I totally forgot that was one of the biggest reasons I got the Note instead of a smaller phone.

HTC is a phone manufacturer like Apple, Blackberry, nokia etc...

Their phones seem popular here at least because their android interface (HTC Sense) is very intuitive to use so their phones make a good first smart phones because of it, they just also seem to fit in the hand well, some thought has really been put into it.

The HTC One is a *sweet* phone, especially if you're going to use it for music.