Menu

Am I the only one. . .

Jean in Newcastle

While I miss my dh VERY much when he is gone (currently out of town for 4-6 weeks for work), I admit it does make it easier to cook. He doesn't eat much all day, so dinner is his main meal. When he is gone, the grocery shopping is a lot easier.

I wish NO one wanted any dinner! Dinner is the bane of my existence. These people want their three hots 365, and it just wears me out! (Dh does not cook so he is not helpful with this, but I will say that he often forages for himself so he is also not a burden. It's the kids who slay me in the meal preparing department.)

For us I can happily cut up various fuit and vegetables (or pour frozen peas in a bowl and put on table) then tell them to finish what is on the table then fill up with whatever they find in the dishwasher. (We use the non-functioning dishwasher as a giant bread box)

If I try that with Dh he would eat through tons of stuff he shouldn't, or make his own meal leaving me a big mess in the kitchen.

Right.there.with.ya! I try to make most meals, but honestly, sometimes I don't feel like it. Sometimes I just don't want to eat a big meal and would be satisfied eating a little of this and that. Yesterday was one of those days. I said I wasn't going to fix dinner and dh and dd can get their own. Granted this only happens 1-2 times a year, but it sure was nice. I just don't always want a "meal". I'd be happy with bruschetta on cracker and fruit. They need more! Maybe it's the heat of the summer putting me in this mood. Who wants a big meal when it's HOT outside? Next............

who is happy when dh doesn't come home for dinner? It means that I don't have to actually cook but can have everyone grab their favorite leftover from the fridge.

You're not the only one! Dh travels quite a lot and I always plan a serve-yourself night when he's gone.

It means that I don't have to actually cook but can have everyone grab their favorite leftover from the fridge.
Wait, we're only supposed to do that when our dh's are not home??? At least twice per week our dinnertime is "serve yourself night." If dh didn't like it then he could cook something for himself, lol. I love leftovers nights. But the extent of my "cooking" involves boiling water and throwing spaghetti in or grilled cheese. I hate cooking, especially in the evening.

We're having spaghetti tomorrow. I'm getting around the fact that dh is diabetic by serving high protein pasta. I'm getting around my problem with nightshades by getting an alfredo sauce for myself. Everyone else can have "normal" spaghetti. It isn't a fancy dinner but I'm very glad that I already have it planned! Lately I've been having cook's block when it comes to planning meals.

When DH started working out of town during the week I kind of enjoyed being able to plan meals that the kids and I liked that DH didn't care for. It has lost the appeal now that it has been almost a year. But it does make if more fun to do a coming home dinner for him when he comes home Friday night now and the rest of the week I can do more foods I like.

i am thrilled when dh is not home for dinner. (Gosh, that sounds horrible. How does that old adage go.....I married you for better or for worse but not for lunch). The kids and I can eat anything and everything. Dh can not so making dinner for the nights he will be home is a chore for me.

We're having spaghetti tomorrow. I'm getting around the fact that dh is diabetic by serving high protein pasta. I'm getting around my problem with nightshades by getting an alfredo sauce for myself. Everyone else can have "normal" spaghetti. It isn't a fancy dinner but I'm very glad that I already have it planned! Lately I've been having cook's block when it comes to planning meals.

Dh has blood sugar issues so I try not to serve spaghetti when he's home. But if I do I add sauteed onions and zucchini as well as chopped fresh spinach to the bowl. Then I can cut back on the amount of pasta in the bowl. I also often serve steamed broccoli and salad with it.