Menu

Rice--how do you make it like I find at southern BBQ places

Ottakee

I'm southern, and I don't know. lol It isn't Spanish rice, is it? The bbq places around here don't have much rice. It sounds like the rice begins as Spanish rice, does, though - raw rice in a pan with oil, which coats the grains and separates them during cooking. What does it taste like? Does it have a bbq flavor? Now I want some of this rice. :D

I have never seen rice at a BBQ place. Ever. I feel like someone just said they love the dim sum at Five Guys.

What am I missing??? There are other sides in the world? The sides here at BBQ places are generally: fries, potato salad, bbq beans, dill pickles, slices of bread, cole slaw, mac & cheese (maybe, if they've got a lot of sides offered), cinnamon apple slices (again, only at large buffet places).......

Dirty rice maybe? http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/dirty-rice-recipe/index.html It's not ever served here, but I hear it's more common in southern places....

The rice isn't strongly flavored but might have a bit of chicken broth or something instead of plain water for cooking. A bit of oil sounds right. I know we had it at Lever's BBQ near Columbia SC and I think at LIzzard's Thicket. It is not spanish rice---no tomato or strong seasoning.

Up here all white rice seems to be the chinese sticky kind.

Ain't no BBQ places 'round here serving rice. That's just . . . wrong.

:iagree:

We've been to most of the well-known local barbecue places (and that includes all of them in Lockhart, which is supposed to be the barbecue capital of central Texas or something, lol), and have never seen rice of any kind. :huh:

Ain't no BBQ places 'round here serving rice. That's just . . . wrong.

Actually rice is a native crop in parts of the south so it's authentic to South Carolina low country and Georgia. The rice grown there includes what's called popcorn rice, which has an odor to it like popcorn, not unlike basmati does.

http://gardenandgun....as-popcorn-rice

http://www.yale.edu/glc/gullah/02.htm

http://www.cambridge.../kiple/rice.htm

They also call rice dishes "pilau," which shows it roots back to Persian/Arab cooking.

http://www.robertfmo...lina-pilau.html

http://www.southyour...cken-pilau.html

My first post included this link to S. Carolina hash and rice from CNN

Hash is one of those things that, like yellow mustard–based sauce, puzzles outsiders when they first sample South Carolina barbecue. A cross between a meat stew and a gravy, it's the Palmetto State's classic side dish, and it's almost always served over a bed of white rice.

http://eatocracy.cnn...-hash-and-rice/

It linked to a documentary called Carolina Hash

http://www.folkstreams.net/pub/FilmPage.php?title=215

Here's someone else who was looking for southern rice recipes, but I am not sure they ever found it.

http://chowhound.cho...m/topics/456967

Dirty rice?

I'm sure different parts of the country have different styles of BBQ, so I don't get the brouhaha over this. My brother has won many trophies for his BBQ meals at competitions in Houston, and he makes a great spanish rice with it, and occasionally a rice dish cooked with broth.

I love Texas BBQ.

Dirty rice is my guess also.

This was South Carolina........no where near Texas.

Well, there's your problem. When you say "southern BBQ places," you're talking about a huge geographical area--Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida... :D You have to be specific, lol.

There's a type of rice called Carolina Gold. It's a long grain that's not sticky. I bet they sauté it in butter/oil and cook with water and chicken bouillon cubes. You could probably call the restaurant and ask how they make their rice. :)

I cook rice that is not sticky (but not with BBQ :huh: :smilielol5: , I'm from KC, I cook it masterpiece style).

I use long grain parboiled, converted rice (like the orange uncle ben's rice, but a generic brand). I usually saute first in just a bit of olive oil, then add water (sometimes broth from meat I cooked) and that's it. It always comes out nice and separated. Even when I make a kabsah (pilaf type dish with veges/meat in it) or Spanish rice. Actually I use it in my rice cooker without pre-sauteing it and it still comes out separate.

I spent my formative years in SC, and I still miss the bbq hash. I just can't get anything like it anywhere else. Every few years I splurge and have some Piggy Park shipped to me.

As for the rice, it is NOT dirty rice. It is regular white rice. PPs nailed it, you saute it a bit first. And I thought every cooked their rice in broth. Isn't it a bit bland if you only cook it in water?

I don't know nothin 'bout no rice 'n BBQ, but I do understand your quest to replicate delicious rice.

We had dinner at a friend's house the other week and her dd made the most delicious brown rice I had to stop myself from putting the entire bowl on my plate. I hounded them for 2 weeks to get the gist of how they made it which consisted of "oh, let's see...think we used some olive oil, a little garlic and onion, broth, maybe a few other spices"...?!?! How am I supposed to replicate that? I finally bought a rice cooker because I couldn't make it in a saucepan to save my life.

Come to think of it, I HAVE served pulled BBQ pork with rice (plain, white rice-cooker rice) and it was quite tasty.

I suggest you put it out of your mind.

I see you're new here! Maybe you've been too busy spamming us to notice, but we don't put anything out of our mind. We talk about everything. We don't like to be told by new members to quit talking about something, especially not something as benign as...rice.

I've decided everyone in this thread is ignoring me so I can post whatever I want! :) I found all kinds of recipes, but no one seems to have noticed. Oh well.

I see you're new here! Maybe you've been too busy spamming us to notice, but we don't put anything out of our mind. We talk about everything. We don't like to be told by new members to quit talking about something, especially not something as benign as...rice.

I've decided everyone in this thread is ignoring me so I can post whatever I want! :) I found all kinds of recipes, but no one seems to have noticed. Oh well.

Tita and I aren't ignoring you. We just branded you a heretic because you don't use sticky rice!

I was trying to ignore you because you brought up Carolina hash, but I couldn't and now I desperately want some and it's all your fault!

JK. (Mostly. :tongue_smilie: )

As one poster suggested, it is probably parboiled rice sauteed in oil or butter then cooked in broth. If you want to make regular long grain white rice less sticky, you might have to rinse it till the water runs clear, drain well, then saute in oil or butter, cook in broth, but do NOT use a 2:1 ration of liquid to rice. Use 1.5:1 or even 1:1. It still probably won't be exactly like restaurant rice, but it will be less sticky. (I like light fluffy rice. ) :hat:

Like some others, I would guess the rice is par-boiled (aka Uncle Ben's). It has that distinctive non-sticky integrity to very grain. You can sautee it (or not), and use broth instead of water (or not), and add other flavorings (or not).

Another possibility is that it could be "Pecan Rice" (aka Wild Pecan Rice), which is neither "wild" nor has anything to do with pecans, but is quite tastey and has a unique fragrance and firm texture.

Bill

Tita and I aren't ignoring you. We just branded you a heretic because you don't use sticky rice!

Ha. I never said I ate this kind of rice, though; I was just trying to find the southern-style recipe, which appears to not be sticky rice.

We eat rice all the time, but my son only likes sticky rice. One time my husband asked the owner of a local Chinese restaurant what brand he uses in the restaurant (which my son quite likes) when we were both shopping at the Chinese grocery store, and bought a (20 lb) bag of it -- then my son would eat a small amount at home. ha. Clearly I need to buy those pagoda style paper packaging to bring food to the table.