Menu

Healthy alternative to Hershey Syrup?

Just Kate

I am trying to steer my kids away from packaged treats they love (Oreos, Vanilla Wafers, etc.) and I was thinking of how we used to dip strawberries, bananas, and other fruit into chocolate syrup. Is there anything out there I could use as a "healthier" alternative? At least something that does not include HFCS?

Thanks!

Health food stores sell the organic version of chocoloate syrups...no HFCS etc. I bought it at Trader Joe's last week. Today I saw it at Earthfare (a regional health/organic store). Whole Foods, etc. Do you have any organic/health grocery stores in your area?

Health food stores sell the organic version of chocoloate syrups...no HFCS etc. I bought it at Trader Joe's last week. Today I saw it at Earthfare (a regional health/organic store). Whole Foods, etc. Do you have any organic/health grocery stores in your area?

Sadly, no I don't. Maybe I will try to make some (didn't think of searching for a recipe before posting here!). Anyone have a good recipe?

Trader Joe's Midnight Moo doesn't have HCFS. It's sooooo much better than Hershey's anyway. But, of course, it's not healthy. It's still goo made of chocolate and sugars.

Could you dip into something else? There are some good yogurt dips. And I've had one that's a little cinnamon, pumpkin, whipped cream cheese and a bit of honey.

The basic chocolate syrup recipe I use is super easy:

heaping 1/4 cup cocoa

1/2 cup sugar

pinch of salt

about 1/2 cup water (I never measure the water I just splash it in the bottom of the pot)

Heat on medium high until mixture boils and sugar dissolves- while stirring.

Cool before adding to milk.

For hot cocoa use a big enough pot that after mixture has come to a boil add about 5 cups milk, turn heat to medium and cook until milk is almost to a boil.

I'm pretty sure it would be easy enough to play with it until it was the right consistency for dipping.

Unless you use a LOT of Hershey's Syrup every single day, I don't think it's necessarily worth going to the trouble of finding a replacement, especially since the alternative options don't really taste the same.

But I'm an "everything in moderation" person, so if you're more careful about food ingredients than I am, my opinion will be worthless to you. :)

I just happen to love Hershey's Syrup...

This is good:

Better-than-Hershey's Chocolate Syrup

1/2 c cocoa powder

1 c water

2 c sugar

1/8 tsp salt

1/4 tsp vanilla

Mix cocoa powder with water in small saucepan. Heat to dissolve. Add sugar and stir to dissolve. Boil mixture 3 min over medium heat. Stir in salt and vanilla. Let cool. Yields 2 cups. Pour in sterile jar and keep in fridge for months (if it lasts that long).

I also use the hot fudge recipe in the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook--let me know if you want that one.

Here is the recipe I use:

1/2 c cocoa

1 c sugar

1 c water

dash salt

1 tsp vanilla

Boil cocoa, sugar, water, and salt for 1 minute. Remove from heat, add vanilla. I put mine in a Mason Jar and have the girls spoon it out. It is runny, so if I put it in a squirt bottle, my girls have a tendency to squirt out too much.

It depends on your definition of healthy. For me, sugar would make it off limits. So, I use 90% cacao chocolate, cocoa powder, cream, erythritol, stevia glycerite, and sometimes some cream cheese. I melt it all together and whisk til smooth.

This is good:

Better-than-Hershey's Chocolate Syrup

1/2 c cocoa powder

1 c water

2 c sugar

1/8 tsp salt

1/4 tsp vanilla

Mix cocoa powder with water in small saucepan. Heat to dissolve. Add sugar and stir to dissolve. Boil mixture 3 min over medium heat. Stir in salt and vanilla. Let cool. Yields 2 cups. Pour in sterile jar and keep in fridge for months (if it lasts that long).

I also use the hot fudge recipe in the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook--let me know if you want that one.

I use this one too. I think I use a little less water, though to make it slightly thicker. Tastes so good. My family likes it better than TJ's Midnight Moo.

Why not just cut the fruit and sprinkle with dark chocolate shavings, adding just a little sugar if the berries are substandard? Microplane graters work wonders with chocolate.