Menu

OUCH!- Clogged Milk Duct- HELP!!!

bry's-gal

I have a clogged milk duct starting last night. I've been nursing that side first all day and letting little man work on it as much as possible. It's just getting worse. It's about 2 inches by 3 inches large. It's getting harder and more painful. I've just finished a hot shower with massaging and it is still there. What else can I try?

Also, this is my third clogged milk duct in about a month- all in the same general area and same side. What could be causing this?

THANKS!

Changing nursing bras can do it to me if it changes the way everything empties when the baby is nursing. Underwire to no underwire in a nursing bra will do it to me every time.

When you were massaging, were you able to express any milk from the area? Sometimes the milk from a clogged area has a more yellow-ish tinge for me. If I can get a little bit out, I can usually get the rest of the off-colored milk out. The area will still be red and hot for a day after that, but I can feel the difference.

Wide tooth comb. Scratch it firmly over the area towards the nipple. (Easiest in the shower when you can get it soapy.) Try pumping that side to get it really soft.

Also lecithin supplements are supposed to help if it is a recurring problem, but I have not personally used them.

Good luck. Clogged ducts are terrible.

I used to do a wet washcloth with a heating pad on top, then nurse baby as soon as possible after removing it, in various nursing positions.

With a few of my kids I had recurring clogged ducts. The LLL hotline I called when I was at my wit's end went through the various things I could try (which I had already tried) and the one thing they suggested that I hadn't tried was taking soy lecithin (as a previous poster mentioned). It made the difference for me. I did it first with a liquid soy lecithin, from the baking section at Whole Foods, and took a tablespoon a day (tasted terrible) and with later kids I took soy lecithin in capsule-type form. Sometimes I'd stop taking it for several days and clogged ducts would return.

Erica in OR

Thanks for the tips! I was not able to express any milk from that side at all in the shower. I have not tried the comb trick so I will try that in the morning. I'm home all day so I thought I would go without a bra and see if that helps. I'm debating whether or not to sleep without a bra- I leak so much at night that I will wake up drenched. I thought I would use a warm rice bag on it tonight to help!

I had not hear of the soy lecthin- I think I'm going to go order some!

Thanks for the tips! Keep them coming!

I always used to get on hands and knees on the bed, well, elbows and knees, with the baby underneath me. It is important that baby's chin be pointed in the direction of the clogged duct. It is not comfortable, but it helped sometimes. Also, I know it is hard, but get lots of rest and keep those warm wet compresses on. You don't want mastitis- it's not fun.

I had recurring mastitis with one child so I know what you're going through.

Avoid any upper body exertion-- NO exercise or strenuous house cleaning. Even when you feel better. No baby slinging. No bras, no tight shirts. Try not to carry anything!

Take the max dose of ibuprofin every 4 hours. Continue even if you feel better. This is an anti inflammatory so will help.

Assume it will get infected or is infected-- get a prescription for antibiotics before you feel worse.

You can also try taking benedryl, this might help clear up the inflamation.

If you have oversupply cut your calories. No fun but it is a good way to reduce milk supply. Go all the way down to 1200/ a day if you have serious oversupply.

Rest, stay in bed, and keep yourself super hydrated.

I HTH! feel better and please update us.

Regular drug stores carry soy lecithin. I've gotten it at Target, Kroger, and Walgreens.

I fill a bowl with as hot water as I can stand and dunk the clogged side in, leaning over the kitchen counter. Repeat a few times, changing the water when it cools down. Then try to get baby to nurse on that side. I read somewhere to line baby's nose up with the clogged duct (maybe on Kellymom?) so I do that.

Hope it passes quickly!

I always used to get on hands and knees on the bed, well, elbows and knees, with the baby underneath me. It is important that baby's chin be pointed in the direction of the clogged duct. It is not comfortable, but it helped sometimes. Also, I know it is hard, but get lots of rest and keep those warm wet compresses on. You don't want mastitis- it's not fun.

This.....and rest. Mine always happened when I did not rest enough. I also was able to clear several using hot washcloths, then massaging the breast in the direction of the duct the entire time the baby nursed on that breast. I often had tears running down my face, but it was better than getting mastitis.

I've taken both Grapefruit Seed Extract and Vitamin A, at different times with different children, with success. I get a good quality Vit., it's cheap!, at a health food store, take about 10 of those capsules immediately, and another 5 or 6 every few hours until it clears. Usually mine clear within a half day to a day. To maintain I'll take 4 to 6 per day.

Another thing you can use to keep heat on the area is to put some rice into a sock and microwave it for a minute. It keeps its heat well.

Good Luck! They're not very fun and can HURT!!

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Nursing, nursing, nursing, with baby in different positions; resting, resting, resting; warm showers, hot compresses; I have heard of applying cabbage leaves. And call La Leche League. They might have some suggestions.

Have you tried changing the little guys position to help get things moving? Try a football hold, or if your large enough, scoot down a bit on the bed, lie on your side and let him lie beside your face (his top lip on the bottom of the nipple) Sometimes, repositioning can help put pressure on a different spot and more effectively 'work' the plugged duct.

To limit repeats, I would consider how/where your nursing bras are pressing.

(Mama of 6 kids who, collectively, nursed for lots of years)

I've done this too. I would also lay down to nurse and lay the baby with their head toward my feet.

Agree with having baby nurse in different positions. What I read (and what worked for me) was to have the baby positioned so that his/her jaw was over the clogged milk duct to get the most "massage" there. Also work the area with your hand while the baby nurses. Definitely awkward to accomplish, and you'll probably need to lie down to do it, but it helped here.

Thanks for all the tips!

I woke up this morning and it is still clogged. It is not as painful and feels smaller so that is a move in the right direction! I'll try some of your wonderful suggestions today and see if we can work it the rest of the way out! Thank you!

I repeatedly had that problem with my youngest. I massaged the area while he nursed on that side and that always seemed to work. The tricky part was the fact that it was still extremely painful even after the duct got unplugged and the pain subsides only gradually over time. So even if the problem has resolved you might not know it because nursing might still be painful for a while.