Menu

My dd thinks being a watchmaker would be great, other careers?

TravelingChris

My very smart, dyslexic, ADHD (inattentive) dd is trying to think of a career to do. She has naturally great talents in mechanics- like fixing things and seeing solutions for problems that are spatial. She saw an ad with a person making a watch and she thought that would be a great thing to do. SInce I think that is a very hard field to get into and a dying field too, that doesn't seem like a good suggestion. She is very good at physics but does have memory issues. She is very uninterested in doing paperwork type of things (though I know that is now mostly done on computer). BUt she actually wants to not so much design on paper- though she can do that- but more do things actually or with seeing them. She has very strong visual sense.

Any ideas of other careers to pursue?

Semiconductor (or other similar technology) manufacturing technician.

Those jobs are in demand, have a high earnings potential, and many of them only require a 2 year degree to start. I used to work for Intel and many of our manufacturing technicians were earning upwards of $60K a year.

ETA: here's a brief career profile that explains what this type of job entails:

https://www1.cfnc.org/Plan/For_A_Career/Career_Profile/Career_Profile.aspx?id=tKcYnXAP2FPAXU5maNgr0Zvtb0FjAXAP3DPAXXAP3DPAX

Well I asked her about the above suggestions and while they might be okay for part time work during college- she thinks they would be boring for a real career. The kind of watchmaking she was talking about is the high end watches which she would want to design and then make- a limited quantity. So I have suggested that she could start with jewelry- where we would buy the jewels and supplies and then she could design and make and sell on etsy. But while she is talking about small things, I don't think she is limiting herself to small. She just really wants to go into something where she designs and then either makes or oversees the making. She also has liked making inventions and has proposed some good ones. But again, I am just unsure of what type of eduction I should be getting her to pursue and what final career? Particularly with the adhd, even though she is inattentive, not hyperactive, I think something that is always the same would be dull.

SHe is taking an Intro to Engineering class next year along with programming. I am hoping that one or the other or both will help her get some clarity. Other things she has expressed interest in the past is accident investigation, but I am a bit hesitant with that one since she is my most sensitive child who dislikes hearing about sad stuff in the news. She also suffers from depression so again, not a good choice and I think she has come to realize that.

Her main issue with Engineering is that she is afraid of it being too office work type like she sees my dh doing (he is a physicist, not an engineer, but has worked mostly with engineers where he provides the physics and they do the designs). I mean they do do tests at times but most of the time is spent always in the office. THe types of work he has done were he was mostly out in the field- designing to minimize effects of explosions, doesn't seem to interest her. Though I will have to talk to her about becoming a testing engineer. I would guess that they spend much more of their time actually doing something other than paperwork.

Maybe airplane mechanic, lots of applied physics. Maybe small engine planes?

Is she interested in electronics or more the "gear" aspect?

Watch repair these days is more of a hobby than a career I believe.

We had a good family friend who was a watch repair man and now fixes computers and installs networks for small businesses.

Her main issue with Engineering is that she is afraid of it being too office work type like she sees my dh doing (he is a physicist, not an engineer, but has worked mostly with engineers where he provides the physics and they do the designs). I mean they do do tests at times but most of the time is spent always in the office. THe types of work he has done were he was mostly out in the field- designing to minimize effects of explosions, doesn't seem to interest her. Though I will have to talk to her about becoming a testing engineer. I would guess that they spend much more of their time actually doing something other than paperwork.

civil engineers get out more for field work according to my CE hubby. (he's a CE) Especially since he works for the water department he has more applied engineering.

Yes, I was thinking of CE and also of the type of engineering used in making large transportation projects- which I think maybe CE but may have a more specialized field. Things like

and

The first one was in our village where we lived in Belgium and truly fascinated her. She also thought Dutch bridge building projects were fascinating.

http://www.popularme...ructure/4305522

While she is young and unmarried, she has no problems with traveling the world to work. She spent three formative years in Belgium and I think she was at the age (6.5 to 9.5) where it made the most difference in what type of person she became. I know she felt the most like a TCK of the three. Really I was surprised (not badly surprised, just curiously) how much those three years changed all my kids but mostly my oldest and youngest. I am not sure it had to do with ages but probably more to do with that the middle is so different from the other two and really, actually sees the world in a different way from most everybody --- she sees parts, not whole pictures and then later, in her mind, arranges the parts to a whole. We didn't know that about her then- we only learned about it two years ago but we always knew there was something different about her.

Yes, I was thinking of CE and also of the type of engineering used in making large transportation projects- which I think maybe CE but may have a more specialized field.

CE has several focuses. One is water, which is my hubby's focus. There's also transportation and structural. I think the bridges and stuff would fall under structures.

Personally, I might see if she's like a clock making kit.

I am a CE and in the 10+ years that I worked it was always at a desk. Not saying there aren't field jobs, there are but it definitely isn't all of them.

By the way, there is a rolex school in Lilitz PA that is tuition free, they teach how to repair watches. My brother looked into a few years ago and there is money to be made if you can get through the school.

I think it depends what she likes about watchmaking. I would think a jeweller or precious stone worker could be one tangent and maybe one that could be combined with watch repair. But maybe also Antiques/painting restoration, there is quite a need for people with older crafts skills that relate to maintaining old buildings.

Another idea is the technical side of photography like lens repair, it's similar to watch repair and great fun. It's also quite easy to get a taste of by picking up an old prime lens and taking it to bits, greasing it/cleaning elements and putting it back together. There is also a hugely thriving trade in new and old photographic equipment. Camera repair is fun too (I love taking things to pieces).

I talked with her about some of these jobs. She loves to photograph nature (flowers, birds, etc) as a hobby so I also did suggest Landscape Designer- but she said no for a few reasons- one, she is highly allergic to wasps, two she is very light skinned so outdoor work all the time is not good.

Both robotics and prosthetics were something she expressed interest in before.

Thanks to the pp who mentioned the NOVA program. SHe will like watching it. She watches programs like that many times- always up for watching How Its Made, but somehow we missed this one.

My very smart, dyslexic, ADHD (inattentive) dd is trying to think of a career to do. She has naturally great talents in mechanics- like fixing things and seeing solutions for problems that are spatial. She saw an ad with a person making a watch and she thought that would be a great thing to do. SInce I think that is a very hard field to get into and a dying field too, that doesn't seem like a good suggestion. She is very good at physics but does have memory issues. She is very uninterested in doing paperwork type of things (though I know that is now mostly done on computer). BUt she actually wants to not so much design on paper- though she can do that- but more do things actually or with seeing them. She has very strong visual sense.

Any ideas of other careers to pursue?

Watch and clock repair would be fabulous skills to acquire! If you are fortunate to live where someone still has those skills, can you arrange for your dd to spend some time with that person? There are people who value/treasure their heirloom watches, mantel clocks, and grandfather clocks. As I write this post, my father and I are scouring the area for a reputable, well-skilled restorer of his antique pocket watches, which he wishes to distribute among my children as gifts. Your dd may not become a millionaire in this field; however, these people often work at the same time at a jewelry store. If she were to acquire both watch/clock repair/restoration skills and jewelry repair skills, she likely could end up earning a sufficient income.

I hope you will encourage, rather than discourage, her interest, as it sounds like a good match for her interests and strengths.

Totally out there suggestion, but what about a luthier.

This site lists schools that offer programs:

http://www.cybozone.com/fg/become.html

A good idea, but only if the person is a highly skilled musician who has been trained by a highly skilled luthier . My eighteenth-century viola was damaged because I entrusted its repair to a musician friend from my high school days who had set up shop as a luthier. I'm inching my way toward saving the $2,000 required to make the now-needed repairs.