Menu

Well Educated Mind accomplishment (a little brag)

Guess what I did?!? I finished reading ALL the autobiographies listed in the Well Educated Mind. I finished reading all the novels a couple years ago, so now I'm moving on to the Tales of Historians and Politician section. I really enjoyed (most of) the autobiographies. It really pushed me to read outside my normal genre of book and I learned a lot.

I told my dh that no one else will really appreciate this accomplishment other than you all!! So, I couldn't wait to share my news. :001_smile:

Wow!

That is an accomplishment. I'm impressed! :001_smile:

I would love to tackle the challenge of the WEM. But, every time I think of the time needed to do so, I go :svengo:!

Way to go!

You have to just take it one book at a time. I've been plugging away since the book came out, so it has taken me almost 5 years to do it. :001_smile: By the way, I only read them once and not 3 times like she suggests.

:thumbup: Big accomplishment! And the perfect place to brag a little!

I keep thinking I want to work my way through that book, but feel a little :svengo:about it too. LOL

It's not the reading. I could do that much reading and enjoy it, but all the note taking and different levels of questions. That's where I get hung up. Of course, it seems to me that just buzzing through the reading list without the thinking and careful analysis is of limited usefulness. Or is it?

:glare:

I mean...I'm really happy for you! Really.

:glare:

I'm just playin'

You have every right to brag. ***And*** you have motivated me to pull that book off the shelf and start plugging away again. I love autobiographies, so I think I'll start there. Seriously, even during this busy time for me I still manage my reading snippets. Thanks for the push.

Big congrats from me!

Jo

Wow, I'm so impressed. Congratulations! I need to open that book again and get started.:001_smile:

Guess what I did?!? I finished reading ALL the autobiographies listed in the Well Educated Mind. I finished reading all the novels a couple years ago, so now I'm moving on to the Tales of Historians and Politician section. I really enjoyed (most of) the autobiographies. It really pushed me to read outside my normal genre of book and I learned a lot.

I told my dh that no one else will really appreciate this accomplishment other than you all!! So, I couldn't wait to share my news. :001_smile:

Congrats!

I'm working my way through the novels. I took detailed notes on the first one (Don Quixote) but haven't since. I think it's still been very worthwhile even without the notetaking and analysis. I'm reading things that I have always wanted to read but haven't, or I'm re-reading things I haven't read since high school.

Woo Hoo! Way to go.

I wanted to do that, but for some strange reason decided it was useless since I didn't have anyone to have a book discussion with. That was a couple of years ago. Now, I wonder what I was thinking. I ought to start reading them.

That is awesome! I read the whole book (TWEM) but never got past Don Quixote :blush:

There are some I've read in my course of trying to read the classics, but I've not followed her plan. You definitely deserve some treat for all your hard work...like a trip to the bookstore and some chocolate! :D

Guess what I did?!? I finished reading ALL the autobiographies listed in the Well Educated Mind. I finished reading all the novels a couple years ago

Go ahead and brag to those of us who understand and applaud your efforts!!:001_smile:

Mindy, I am so impressed! I read Anna Karenina, hated it, and stopped with the WEM books. :D You may have inspired me. I will have to pull the book out again and see if there is something I can convince myself to read.

I both loved and hated some of the books so I can totally relate. Some I got through just because of sheer dogged persistence and not because I enjoyed them (Moby Dick, for one!!). Some I loved, and some I both loved and hated at the same time. :-) I felt the same about the autobiographies, but I really learned a lot!

Wow. I am in awe.

I thought your post was so inspiring, that I went out and bought the book in a quest to do the same thing. I set up a book blog, reserved some books at the library.....

However, I obviously didn't read your post very carefully, because I bought The Well Trained Mind and NOT The Well Educated Mind. :eek:(Isn't that ironic? In my quest to read, I'm not starting off very well!)

Sigh. I've been needing to buy WTM anyway, I'm tired of having to constantly return it to the library. It does have lists in it that I'm just going to follow, since I never read 99% of those books in school anyway. I assume that those lists will take me many years, as it is. Are the book lists in WEM much different? I haven't actually seen that book yet.

Oh well, it's all quality literature, right? Thanks for the inspiration, Mindy, and Good Job!

I thought your post was so inspiring, that I went out and bought the book in a quest to do the same thing. I set up a book blog, reserved some books at the library.....

However, I obviously didn't read your post very carefully, because I bought The Well Trained Mind and NOT The Well Educated Mind. :eek:(Isn't that ironic? In my quest to read, I'm not starting off very well!)

Sigh. I've been needing to buy WTM anyway, I'm tired of having to constantly return it to the library. It does have lists in it that I'm just going to follow, since I never read 99% of those books in school anyway. I assume that those lists will take me many years, as it is. Are the book lists in WEM much different? I haven't actually seen that book yet.

Oh well, it's all quality literature, right? Thanks for the inspiration, Mindy, and Good Job!

Well, if it is any consolation, I'd take WTM over WEM. The suggestions are pretty different than in WTM, but you can always just put it WEM your Christmas list.

I both loved and hated some of the books so I can totally relate. Some I got through just because of sheer dogged persistence and not because I enjoyed them (Moby Dick, for one!!).

I'm starting to feel like I'm in pretty lonely company in having enjoyed Moby Dick so throughly, that I went on an read the rest of Melville's South-sea tales :001_huh:

Some I loved, and some I both loved and hated at the same time. :-) I felt the same about the autobiographies, but I really learned a lot!

Do you care to share which of the autobiographies you found most valuable?

Bill (who offers up hearty congratulations!)

Do you care to share which of the autobiographies you found most valuable?

Well, I think they were all valuable in their own way. I really enjoyed reading the autobiographies of the historical figures, from Benjamin Franklin to Adolph Hitler. I gained very interesting insights. I almost liked reading the biographies of people that I do NOT respect (historically speaking) more than the ones of those I do respect. I really enjoyed reading Malcolm X's autobiography, for example. Lots of good food for thought.