Menu

Is it worth driving 1.5 hrs for Scholastic's warehouse sale?

Our sale always has a large selection and it's easy to spend a few hundred dollars. But, I only "volunteer" at the sales. They give $10/hour to spend on books. If I didn't volunteer, I would never spend that much. The volunteer work is easy and my husband is able to stay home with our boys when I volunteer, so I take advantage of the time/money. It was nice at the winter sale to stock up on gifts for nieces/nephews.

ETA: I do not drive that far for the sale, if I had to drive as far as you, I probably wouldn't be going much. I would try it once and see if it's worth it to you.

I drive about an hour to get to the one near me. I'm ok with it for the following reasons: 1) I already spend an obscene amount on books, what's a little more; 2) if I go the back way, it's a lovely drive; and 3) they are scheduled on weekends so DH can watch the kids and I can make a day of it, out all by myself, and what's not to love about that? ;)

I do find myself spending less and less at the sales over time, though, since there seems to be a lot of stock that overlaps from sale to sale, so there's just less and less that I don't already have. I'll probably continue to go to them though, for the reasons noted above. :)

We had one in Australia and it wasn't even worth the 10 minute drive up the road from me. Lots of twaddle and I could get it cheaper anywhere else. The books were just old stock they were trying to get rid of. The stuff no one wanted to buy be ause it was just junk.

We would find a fair amount of books at the Scholastic book fair when the dc were little - but alot of it was things like the generic Daisy Meadows Rainbow Magic fairies series. I wouldn't expect to find much for them now, especially because since discovering the WTM I've become a lot choosier about what they read. $25 for a box sounds good, if you think there will be lots of titles you're interested in. Otherwise, I'd pass.

I went to our local one last year - mostly overstock books of popular paperbacks - like Dora, Diego, Clifford the dog kind of books for a 4 year old. I bought some because I drove an hour to get there. Nothing special in my opinion.

What city is this in? Maybe different cities have a different selection. I live in Houston and if I was in need of books, I would drive that far. The warehouse is huge. They have rows and rows of books. They also have some toys, posters, etc. everything is 50% off unless it is listed on the sheet they give you....then it is 25% off-those are popular books like Diary of a Wimpy Kid. I spend around $100 each time I go. Well, less as I print their coupon for $25or $35 off $100. They have a $1 area where damaged items are sold...some are not damaged much. I got a book with 12 rubbery cupcake holders in that section.

They sell the Backyard Safari stuff, some wooden toys like Melissa and Doug. They have Almanacs. Dictionaries, atlas', books in Spanish (they have a section for that). I think it is a good sale. They have every book that school book sales have. Ours has a lot of hardbacks too.

I drive 30 minutes to get to it, but that is with city traffic. 30 minutes of driving in the city is like 5 minutes in the country. LOL! It goes by fast.

The last one I went to I was able to pick up a very good collection of poems, a few activity books, and a couple of reference books at a good price, but most of what was there was twaddle. I would only drive that distance if you are going to a large sale, (the small ones have a very limited selection), and if you do not consider that to be an outrageous distance for you.

We used to have a true Scholastic warehouse here, where all the books for the area's school book sales were stored. The twice-yearly sales were excellent! But the warehouse moved to a different state :( Since then they've held "warehouse" sales at a local convention center with maybe 20% of the former selection. I went once since the change and only purchased a French-English dictionary.

THe one in Orlando is like the Houston one, it is the warehouse for all the book orders. I've bought a huge variety of reference books for very little money. One trip I added up my $100 worth of them, and they were $400+ on amazon. Some of them are paperback versions that you can't buy from Amazon/Rainbow which helps on the cost side. Overall, we have a lot of stuff we wouldn't have otherwise on our shelves for not a lot of $$.

I've never left wishing I hadn't gone - which is why I haven't gone recently because, well, I can't afford it right now.

But we normally go in with a shopping cart, fill with what we "want", then weed it out before check out.

As for driving, I drive an hour to it, but I don't mind driving and go to Orlando often anyway. I'd find out if it is a true warehouse/distribution center, or just a warehouse they brought in for the sale.

I went to the one in Chantilly, VA a few years ago, and I guess I drove about 50 minutes each way.

It was a stunning disappointment. I don't need "Clifford the BIg Red Dog" books. They had some Narnia books, but not even enough to make a complete set.

If you had another really good reason for going in that direction I would say go, but making a special trip will probably be a disappointment.

I would check out eBay and Amazon first.

I love the warehouse sale. That being said the deals tend to be better for the December sale than the end of year sale. It is also very hit or miss. Some hers I hit the jackpot, other years I hardly find anything. I drive about 40 minutes to go to mine, but there are other stops along the way I can make if I'd like.

If it is at an actual warehouse, it might be worth it.

But if it is set up in a hotel conference room (traveling warehouse sale), skip it. Books are about the same price on Amazon. I still go because the kids see books they want and it is only 5 minutes from my house. These sales are not as good as when they are true warehouse sales!!!

If it is at an actual warehouse, it might be worth it.

But if it is set up in a hotel conference room (traveling warehouse sale), skip it. Books are about the same price on Amazon. I still go because the kids see books they want and it is only 5 minutes from my house. These sales are not as good as when they are true warehouse sales!!!

This. The one time I went it was in a hotel. Massive disappointment. We went to B&N afterwards to help soothe the disappointment.