Menu

? for Baptists

mommaduck

I was raised KJVO in an IFB church. As a teen I switched to the SBC that my husband was raised in in the midwest...FIL was a pastor. Two of my sisters were raised by our grandparents in the SBC here in SC. One sister is likely converting to EO.

Sister was looking at my Orthodox Study Bible and noted that we had more books...yes, RC has more than Protestants and Orthodox have more than RC. Then she says, "yeah, we didn't have Hosea..." What? I pull my Reformation Study Bible (ESV) and a KJV off the shelf and show her that it's always been there. No, she insists that the Bobble she grew up with did not have Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, (might have had Jonah), Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, or Zechariah...butdid have Malachi. I told her they may have not taught out of them, but they've always been there. She says no, they literally were not in their Bibles.

I'm stunned. She no longer has her or g'ma's Bibles. Has anyone ever heard of a published Bible with these books missing? Does anyone know if there is some quirk with the Baptist churches down here that they would removed even more books from the Bible than evangelical protestants already have?

Weird. I grew up GARBC and went to a GARBC-affiliated college, and never heard of that before.

The only thing I can think of is that your sis was given a condensed or children's Bible. I've seen some of those that have just the NT, Psalms, and just the "important" parts of the OT (Genesis, Exodus, Kings, Esther, Jonah, etc.). I don't think the reasoning behind this is sound, especially when they fail to mention that they aren't complete, by anyone's definition.

I was raised KJVO in an IFB church. As a teen I switched to the SBC that my husband was raised in in the midwest...FIL was a pastor. Two of my sisters were raised by our grandparents in the SBC here in SC. One sister is likely converting to EO.

Sister was looking at my Orthodox Study Bible and noted that we had more books...yes, RC has more than Protestants and Orthodox have more than RC. Then she says, "yeah, we didn't have Hosea..." What? I pull my Reformation Study Bible (ESV) and a KJV off the shelf and show her that it's always been there. No, she insists that the Bobble she grew up with did not have Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, (might have had Jonah), Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, or Zechariah...butdid have Malachi. I told her they may have not taught out of them, but they've always been there. She says no, they literally were not in their Bibles.

I'm stunned. She no longer has her or g'ma's Bibles. Has anyone ever heard of a published Bible with these books missing? Does anyone know if there is some quirk with the Baptist churches down here that they would removed even more books from the Bible than evangelical protestants already have?

She is sadly mistaken. Those books are commonly referred to as "minor prophets," and they follow the "major prophets" of Isaiah, Jeremiah, Lamentations, Ezekiel, and Daniel. They have always been there.

So, is she a member of a Southern Baptist church?

(We should always remember that just because she attends a church that has "Baptist" in its name does not mean it's like any other denomination with the same word in the name. :-))

Ellie, if she says they weren't there, then I believe her. It wasn't a five minute conversation. We actually talked about it. The other twin said something similar I think a few years ago, we just didn't get deep into it as that twin wants nothing to do with religion.

okay, I'm asking partly because I've learned as an adult that SBC churches can vary depending upon where you are in the country. I had a cousin in eastern TN that had experiences in her local SBC that you never would have heard of or seen in IL. So i want sure if there was an issue with some of the churches down here.

Any chance she would have been reading a Jewish Old Testament? There they were not broken into individual books.

"The Minor Prophets or Twelve Prophets, occasionally Book of the Twelve, is the last book of the Nevi'im, the second main division of the Jewish Tanakh. The collection is broken up to form twelve individual books in the Christian Old Testament, one for each of the prophets."

There has never been a Christian Bible without these books included. At least not according to any of my professors in Bible college.

Maybe gramma's bible was rebound at some point and parts weren't put back in. :p

(That's actually true of my late gramma's old, old family Bible; I was looking at it one day, and some books were missing -- the Bible ended part way through Hebrews).

PuddleJumping, I don't know. I hadn't considered that. I don't know how much of a possibility that would be. I don't know much about my grands, but I know they kicked one twin out of the house for saying a black guy...so would it be the same for anything specifically Jewish? Or is it like with my other Baptist friends where Jews are revered and Catholics/EO are most likely going to hell?

My family has been SBC for generations (Great Great grandparents on BOTH sides...) Most of their family Bibles are still around-- they ALL have those books.

I cannot think of a reason why those would be 'banished' (forgotten maybe)...

I memorized the books of the Bible in 2nd grade (private school)-- those books were in there (I did not do so great on the spelling part of the test!).

Thank you, Grace. I'm just trying to figure out why they both neither had them, nor heard of them, nor heard any preaching out of them. And it's not all the minor prophets, just most of them. (yes, I knew they were called that...why would someone think I didn't?)

I don't know if my pp was very clear. Condensed or abridged versions can be children's versions, but they were popular for everyone a few decades ago. Maybe your relations had one of these? http://bibles.wikidot.com/kjv-condensed

It would be kinda funny if they had the Olive Pell Bible. Apparently, it deleted all instances of eating meat or engaging in sexual activity from the Bible. Hosea would be right out in that one. I would love to see if Isaiah preaching in his starkers managed to stay in.

I can well imagine a little Baptist church in the 50's or 60's deciding that was Teh Bestest Bible Evar!!! and everyone should buy a copy of it.

I grew up Southern Baptist and I'm now a member of an Independent Baptist church (not the same as IFB. I know, confusing) and my very first Bible was my grandmother's own personal Bible. It still sits on my shelf. It was published in 1978 and it has all those books.

I'm SB, they've always been there. I also just pulled the oldest Bible in the house(copy.1972) and they are all there.

I hadn't thought of this - I have the OLD family bible. So old, there is no copyright in it. But it's from the 1800's! Hosea is there, plain as day.

okay, it sounds like some have not read what I actually wrote. I KNOW it's not a baptist thing. I'm wondering if it was an are cultural thing with the Baptists HERE. One person came up with a possibility without calling my sister a liar (our mistaken). Trust me, I thought she mightbe mistaken as well...that is why her and I had a bit of conversation about it. I'm certain that it was how she told it. And the fact that both twins remember the same (separate conversations) says something also.

i don't believe it is regional or specific to a denomination. perhaps the church they grew up in rebound their bibles to exclude specific books. that is the only thing i can think of. and to be clear, i don't think your sister is a liar. i do think she is human & people make mistakes and memories aren't always accurate. it isn't meant to be offensive to suggest that could be the case here.

South Carolina...lowlands.

I can say that some of what they grew up with in the SBC was stranger than I experienced in the IFB. Not sure if it's the particular church...if it was just our grandparents (other Baptist relatives in other Baptist churches down here seem more what I'm used to)... who knows.

okay, it sounds like some have not read what I actually wrote. I KNOW it's not a baptist thing. I'm wondering if it was an are cultural thing with the Baptists HERE. One person came up with a possibility without calling my sister a liar (our mistaken). Trust me, I thought she mightbe mistaken as well...that is why her and I had a bit of conversation about it. I'm certain that it was how she told it. And the fact that both twins remember the same (separate conversations) says something also.

I figured you meant baptists in the south which is why I referenced my grandaddy being the southern baptist preacher in AL. I figured that was pretty southern. LOL

My IFB friends were in N.C. so regionally no, they did not have a different Bible.

South Carolina...lowlands.

I can say that some of what they grew up with in the SBC was stranger than I experienced in the IFB. Not sure if it's the particular church...if it was just our grandparents (other Baptist relatives in other Baptist churches down here seem more what I'm used to)... who knows.

First...LowCOUNTRY. :)

Second, DH grew up SBC a few miles from where you are and they had the whole KJV.

It could have been there, and never covered, so both sisters could have no memories of these books. It doesn't make them liars, it's just that early childhood perceptions aren't always accurate.

I think it's a great idea to call the church. I'd be interested in their answer.