Menu

UPDATED: MOH vol.1 users: Here are some "worksheets"

edeemarie

*UPDATE ON POST #48

I just finished creating some "worksheets" (I use that term loosely because some have more of a narratation style to them) to go along with the lessons in Mystery of History volume 1. My oldest son seems to concentrate when he has something to follow or complete in each lesson so this was my way of helping him stay focused. I do have to say that my daughter does not use these because they are a little too much for her- she prefers to write a couple of sentences and draw a picture to go with it:) So I would think they could be used for 3rd grade and up (not sure how far up since I don't have any that old yet). Anyway, I thought maybe these could help someone else, so here they are! http://waterontheflo...memade-studies/

ETA: BRIGHT IDEAS PRESS CONTACTED ME AND ASKED ME TO TAKE THE PAGES DOWN SINCE THEY WERE CONCERNED ABOUT IT COMPETING WITH PRODUCTS THEY SELL TO USE WITH MOH:( THEY SAID I CAN MODIFY THEM AS JUST GENERAL ANCIENT HISTORY CURRICULUM PAGES, WHICH I MAY DO IF I HAVE SOME EXTRA TIME. BUT FOR NOW I HAD TO TAKE THEM OFF THE BLOG. SORRY!

As long as you aren't using quotations from the book, can they really ask that of you? Competition doesn't violate copyright, does it? Or were they just asking you as a favor and not implying that you were required to comply?

My husband and I wondered the same thing. I may have to look into it further, but truthfully, it didn't leave me with great feeling about Bright Ideas Press. I literally spend hours putting all of those together and just thought I would share them. Their website doesn't have anything like what I created- they have plain notebooking pages, but I knew those wouldn't keep my son's attention as well. But, I am no expert on copyright issues and I am not one to test the limits. It is too bad because I thought what I made filled a gap in something they didn't offer.

As long as you aren't using quotations from the book, can they really ask that of you? Competition doesn't violate copyright, does it? Or were they just asking you as a favor and not implying that you were required to comply?

I totally agree with this. That is a disservice to other homeschoolers. Doesn't make others feel like they should share their stuff that they worked hard on.

ETA: BRIGHT IDEAS PRESS CONTACTED ME AND ASKED ME TO TAKE THE PAGES DOWN SINCE THEY WERE CONCERNED ABOUT IT COMPETING WITH PRODUCTS THEY SELL TO USE WITH MOH:( THEY SAID I CAN MODIFY THEM AS JUST GENERAL ANCIENT HISTORY CURRICULUM PAGES, WHICH I MAY DO IF I HAVE SOME EXTRA TIME. BUT FOR NOW I HAD TO TAKE THEM OFF THE BLOG. SORRY!

If you were not using anything copyrighted in their text or their intellectual property then they have absolutely no right to ask you to do that.

I say you put them back up. And if they contact you again tell them to go take a hike.

Competing with their product...lol. Did they also write to SWB and tell her to stop publishing SOTW? That competes with their product much more than your worksheets I'm sure.

Silly people. :001_rolleyes:

I thought your worksheets looked really cool. I had been debating about using MOH next year, and I was excited when I saw your worksheets because it pulled it all together for me. Imagine my shock when I went back in to really look at them and they were GONE! I won't be using MOH now. The worksheets really were something that I haven't seen anywhere else, and they weren't going to stop me from buying something from BIP because there isn't anything else out there like them, IMHO. I have no idea if you are breaking copyright laws, but if it were me I wouldn't risk it.

Thank you all for sharing in my frustration. :grouphug: It is frustrating, but like I said, my personality is not the type to push limits. I wish I could take the time back it made it create them- I even went back and did worksheets for the lessons we had already completed so I could post a whole year of work. Next thing I know Scholastic will be contacting me telling me I can't have science based on their DVDs! It is going to be hard finding a replacement for MOH since it makes a great spine that adds in plenty of Biblical history. Right now I am looking at VP since I think it will be easy enough to add to it, but if anyone else has any suggestions that would be great:)

Wait, did they tell you to take them down from that blog, or that even you can't use them at all? I don't agree with either, but just checking. We weren't currently planning to use MOH, but I had looked at it pretty closely, and was excited to see what you'd put together.

Wait, did they tell you to take them down from that blog, or that even you can't use them at all? I don't agree with either, but just checking. We weren't currently planning to use MOH, but I had looked at it pretty closely, and was excited to see what you'd put together.

He told me I was welcome to use them with my family but couldn't share them. He told me I needed to change the titles to the pages since they corresponded with the MOH lesson title and change any references to the text. Some of the pages I did were fill in the blanks based on the reading so all of those would need to be replaced. There were also some pages that involved matching facts to the correct item (some were people, some were places, etc.) and I am sure those would need changed to even though I am sure the lessons list facts that can be found in other books besides MOH. So it would involve too much work on my part to redo them. The whole point of the pages what for them to line up with the MOH lessons- changing that would kind of make it pointless. He told me that if I changed some things I would have a good product to sell, but that is not my intention at all! I worked hard putting these together for my son and just thought that someone else could benefit.

Is it a copyright violation when you aren't selling anything but just giving stuff away for free? And can he tell you what product specially it's competing with? Having a homeschool mom offering something like that for free might actually make some people want to use MOH.

Is it a copyright violation when you aren't selling anything but just giving stuff away for free? And can he tell you what product specially it's competing with? Having a homeschool mom offering something like that for free might actually make some people want to use MOH.

Good question. I don't know much about copyright violations but I certainly wasn't doing anything to make a profit. He said it would hinder sales of "notebooking pages, etc." But, like I said, if the notebooking pages would have worked for what I was looking for I would have just purchased them instead of spending hours creating my own. My son needed more than what their notebooking pages offered.

He told me I was welcome to use them with my family but couldn't share them. He told me I needed to change the titles to the pages since they corresponded with the MOH lesson title and change any references to the text. Some of the pages I did were fill in the blanks based on the reading so all of those would need to be replaced. There were also some pages that involved matching facts to the correct item (some were people, some were places, etc.) and I am sure those would need changed to even though I am sure the lessons list facts that can be found in other books besides MOH. So it would involve too much work on my part to redo them. The whole point of the pages what for them to line up with the MOH lessons- changing that would kind of make it pointless. He told me that if I changed some things I would have a good product to sell, but that is not my intention at all! I worked hard putting these together for my son and just thought that someone else could benefit.

Could you sell him the worksheets so they can make them available? Maybe get royalties from each packet that sells?

Could you sell him the worksheets so they can make them available? Maybe get royalties from each packet that sells?

I thought about that but I figured if they were interested in doing that they would have offered it.

This makes mee want to throw my MOH out. I seriously can not stand when companies micro manage the people using their programs. I guess they forget if we are not happy, they make no money.

I know what you mean. If I hadn't spent so much time completing the worksheets I would probably drop it now. It just makes me sad that I company with such a Christian friendly product would be more concerned about what money they might lose instead of helping others use their product more efficiently.

There is another WTM board member to whom the same thing happened a couple years ago. I don't know if she's even on board anymore, but she used to be a fairly regular poster. BIP didn't even HAVE notebooking pages when this user started making (and posting/sharing) her notebook pages, but as soon as BIP found out, they contacted the user and demanded she take them down just like you, OP. Almost immediately after that, BIP started selling notebook pages.

Her notebook pages did have the "Mystery of History" name on them, and they were aligned with the lessons as well. But the thing is, BIP didn't HAVE them when this user started making them for her own children and sharing them with others. (And for some months into the process, too.) Makes me wonder who is contacting BIP and "alerting" them to other notebook pages out there. Makes me wonder if it isn't someone on this very board, since both the OP of this thread and the other user to whom I refer are regulars on this board. :glare:

Imagine if ALL publishers contacted the owners/writers of free notebooking pages and lesson plans on the internet..... I know that there are both lesson plans and NB pages for several different published curricula out there.... And do the writers of lesson plans that ARE sold at places like CBD get permission from the textbook publishers before writing and SELLING those lesson plans? I'm thinking of one publisher in particular who includes lesson plans in their own notebook journals.... There's a lot out there, both free and not, but BIP is the only publisher I see "haunting" users of its curriculum in this way.

My husband and I wondered the same thing. I may have to look into it further, but truthfully, it didn't leave me with great feeling about Bright Ideas Press. I literally spend hours putting all of those together and just thought I would share them. Their website doesn't have anything like what I created- they have plain notebooking pages, but I knew those wouldn't keep my son's attention as well. But, I am no expert on copyright issues and I am not one to test the limits. It is too bad because I thought what I made filled a gap in something they didn't offer.

I'm not a MOH user. I'm not an legal expert either.

From what you described."THEY SAID I CAN MODIFY THEM AS JUST GENERAL ANCIENT HISTORY CURRICULUM PAGES"

that seems it was the use of MOH name with them that they are asking. I don't think that's copyright issue, but maybe something along lines of trademark issues? I see in various published items that when one company uses a trademark of another there is some kind of acknowledge that it was with permission and other legal jargon.

I hope the pages are easy to edit the MOH references. or something as simple as these would work with any general ancient history curriculum. But I enjoyed using them with MOH" maybe that would work. you might ask them....

OP, do you know an attorney you could ask? I would seriously find out whether I'm in complete violation of copyright laws or not, or whether just a slight tweak to the pages would take care of it. And also find out whether offering them for FREE is in violation or not. It could be that as long as you're not charging for them, then you're not breaking any laws. (But I don't know the answer to that.)

Is there an attorney on board here who could find out?

Gee, I was going to download them - I keep trying to decide if MOH would work for me, but alas, so crossing them off the list permanently now.

And, if they DO come out with pages - well, make sure they aren't like yours.

You should print yours out, then mail yourself a copy of them and don't open it.... so you can point out to them they copied you. :D

Ok. I saw the worksheets before they were taken down. I don't have MOH so I can't look specifically at what I'm asking. Is it a matter of just having "Lesson #" on each sheet since that makes it correlate exactly with MOH? Or on your "fill-in-blanks", "put in orders", "match the facts", etc, did you copy text directly from the MOH book and that's what needs to be changed?

Otherwise, how can they have a problem with a title of "Retell the story of Adam and Eve" on the top of a page of lines?

Here is what was included in the email as to what needed to be changed:

-Remove specific references to MOH, including the title, page numbers, lesson/unit names & numbers, etc. Quotes from the text would also need to be replaced.

-Because your pages follow the Table of Contents of MOH exactly, you would need to add some additional figures scattered throughout so that it's not an exact MOH takeoff. You might also want to change some of the figure titles so they're not exactly the same as MOH lesson titles.

If I make the pages generic enough to follow these guidelines I am not sure it will be worth it. The whole point was to make sure my son was learning what was in the MOH lesson, not just about that general time period. I think too many of the pages would need to be changed. We'll see how ambitious I get:)

-Remove specific references to MOH, including the title, page numbers, lesson/unit names & numbers, etc. Quotes from the text would also need to be replaced.

-Because your pages follow the Table of Contents of MOH exactly, you would need to add some additional figures scattered throughout so that it's not an exact MOH takeoff. You might also want to change some of the figure titles so they're not exactly the same as MOH lesson titles.

If I make the pages generic enough to follow these guidelines I am not sure it will be worth it. The whole point was to make sure my son was learning what was in the MOH lesson, not just about that general time period. I think too many of the pages would need to be changed. We'll see how ambitious I get:)

This seems like a reasonable request to me. It does violate copyright to use direct quotes, lesson names, etc. doesn't it? And using their name could imply that they had endorsed it, so I can understand their request. It doesn't sound like they were being hateful about it but actually suggested changes you could make so that you could continue to share these.

I wouldn't want to spend the time to re-do them either! But I don't get the tone in this thread that they are a horrid company for asking you not to share these. I've never used MOH, is there something about them I'm missing? I am thinking of using them for our next cycle through history.

This seems like a reasonable request to me. It does violate copyright to use direct quotes, lesson names, etc. doesn't it? And using their name could imply that they had endorsed it, so I can understand their request. It doesn't sound like they were being hateful about it but actually suggested changes you could make so that you could continue to share these.

I wouldn't want to spend the time to re-do them either! But I don't get the tone in this thread that they are a horrid company for asking you not to share these. I've never used MOH, is there something about them I'm missing? I am thinking of using them for our next cycle through history.

I had not seen the OP's notebook pages so I don't know for myself how much detail/overlap there was. But I guess the reason some of us are upset about it is that it seems as if somebody, either at or on the behalf of BIP, is "haunting" users of the curriculum in this regard. As I said earlier, there was another poster who had made up her own NB pages and freely shared them as well, and BIP did the same thing to her. I have no idea how that user's pages compared to the OP's of this thread, or even to the ones that BIP now sells, but my understanding that is the OP of this thread included even more detail than BIP has on their own pages.

The fact that BIP wasn't even selling NB pages at the time the other user got called out and ordered to take down her pages, and then BIP 'suddenly' started selling their own right afterwards, is very odd timing. Thus, the comment by a pp wondering if BIP will NOW 'suddenly' change or improve the ones they sell. Both users who made and shared their own NB pages, and then getting called out by BIP, and both users belonging to this board, also makes me wonder.

As I said before, there are lesson plans, notebook pages, and shared ideas all over the web that include specific page #'s, titles, etc. for myriads of curriculum. MOST of these are free and accessible by any of us. Some of them are being sold for (I assume?) a small (or large) profit. . Do you see any publishers besides BIP going around haunting homeschool moms who are freely sharing their own creations? I know there are a number of problems with users *photocopying* curriculum, both consumable and non-consumable materials that are clearly marked "Do not photocopy", and then re-selling them. That IS a problem, and I understand the concern with that, as that is a CLEAR violation of copyright laws. But in this case, we're talking about a mom making her OWN materials and then sharing them for FREE, which in this case I think can only HELP the publisher because it would encourage more moms to buy said curriculum.

As I said before, I think the OP should contact an attorney and find out just how far over the line of "legal" we're talking here. She may not need to make as many changes as BIP is demanding. If she does, she does, but I (personally) don't think she should just take BIP's word for it and destroy all the beautiful work she's put into it without knowing for certain what her rights are in this case.

Page number are NOT copyrighted. (sheesh!).

Lesson/unit names are iffy. I'm not familiar with the lesson names of MOH, but if they are something that would be trademark-able (like "oreo" or "heinz") then they have a point. If it is "New Kingdom Egypt" then nope, not under copyright.

Quotes depend on how much you're quoting. A small amount with attribution falls under Fair Use. If you are modifying the quotes (like making a crossword puzzle) then how much you can use expands quite a bit, as long as you are attributing properly.

Pages following the TOC - lols. Unless you are writing a "textbook" exactly like theirs and also using the exact same TOC and page numbers, then this is ridiculous. If your product was substantially different (which is sounds like yours definitely was) then you're well within your rights.

Honestly, most lawyers don't want to get involved in copyright law. This includes any lawyer BIP might contact. Unless it is a clear-cut violation, such as you reproducing their book entirely or in bits and pieces and then presenting and selling it as your own, there's really nothing BIP can do except send you worthless C&D letters.

I can't imagine TOC or page numbers being an issue. If you use quotes from the book, as long as they are not huge portions and you cite them, it's fair use. I think they are being greedy and it doesn't look good for them. There are so many other supplements out there for use with other texts and curricula. I honestly think their concern is silly. Unless of course there was large chunks of the books copied. TOC's are usually available free on line so they are allowed to be used. As long as you are not giving away their product or making it so people have access to their product without purchasing it, I can't see the issue.

That is like saying all of the lapbooks and notebooking pages available for freefor SOTW violate copyright law....but I don't see SWB complaining or accusing that it makes people not use the AG....

and notebooking pages??? :confused1: I have a really hard time understanding how a notebooking page could violate copyright laws... :huh:

Its a joke to ask someone not to use the same order you do for a chronological history program! Lol

Look at SOTW...there are tons of timeline people, review cards, lapbooks, etc and I have NEVER heard a word of SWB throwing copywrite around. Moms offer these things FREE. Now if charging....I can see them questioning but free for all to use.....just seems like sour business. Like they feel the only way they can make money is by closing out anything mamas make.

I really keep going back and forth on how I feel about this whole situation. I wish I knew a MOH user that could help me sort through what really needed to be changed. It is going to be really difficult to change the TOC and titles when their titles are things like "Adam and Eve" and "The Epic of Gilgamesh". So do I have to change those to "Eve and Adam" and "Gilgamesh's Epic"? I know that sounds ridiculous but I really don't know how far I need to take this. It was never meant to be a text replacement, just an enhancement. I highly doubt someone could download these worksheets and say "oh good, now I don't have to buy the actual book". But at the same time I really don't want to get into any legal issues if there truly are any. As far as copying the text, I am going to go look though it again, but I really don't remember copying any sentences. There were phrases of key ideas that I used, but no huge portions of text. Hmm, maybe I will just send them to one of you and you can post it on your blog:)

Have you looked at the samples of their Notbooking Pages?

http://www.brightideaspress.com/wp-content/uploads/SampleFiles/MOH1_Notebooking_Pages-sample.pdf

There are pages which look very similar to what you created. I would suspect the copyright issue is to do with them, and not with the book. I know the person they paid to create those notbooking pages.

As someone who has worked on the bookeeping side of buisness since I was in high school...these little things make it harder to stay in buisness. From their perspective not only is there free option so what they developed won't sell, but they are out all the mony they paid to have them created in the first place....and they just re-did them in the last year putting more money into it.

Heather (who sees both sides and isn't happy on either side) :(

p.s. In the interest of full disclosure I do have long connections to the buisness as I was one of the earlier MOH users, I help Linda with her website (the author not the publisher) by answering questions people have about MOH and was asked by the owner of Bright Ideas Press to help developt the Illuminations product that goes with MOH as one point (didn't have the time, so turned it down). Currently I am moderator on several of the Bright Ideas Press yahoo groups. They haven't said anything to us moderators about the situation. I wasn't asked to post here by them, in fact they have no idea that I am. I do wish they didn't have to consider the bottom line and wish both sets of pages were available free to everyone. It seems the focus of conversation is how can they violate the book's copyright and wanted to redirect attention to the notebooking pages, which I belive are the real issue.

There is another WTM board member to whom the same thing happened a couple years ago. I don't know if she's even on board anymore, but she used to be a fairly regular poster. BIP didn't

Imagine if ALL publishers contacted the owners/writers of free notebooking pages and lesson plans on the internet..... I know that there are both lesson plans and NB pages for several different published curricula out there.... And do the writers of lesson plans that ARE sold at places like CBD get permission from the textbook publishers before writing and SELLING those lesson plans? I'm thinking of one publisher in particular who includes lesson plans in their own notebook journals.... There's a lot out there, both free and not, but BIP is the only publisher I see "haunting" users of its curriculum in this way.

The ownder of the MOH yahoo groups is a Bright Ideas Press co-owner, and several employees are on the yahoo groups. I am pretty sure they don't pay attention to what goes on here, but what happens on the yahoo groups they see naturally.

As for the rest of it, I have no clue. I want to see authors get the money they deserve, and publishing companies get the moeny they deserve so they can continue to stay in buisness. One of the biggist eye openers for me, when I worked in pubishing for a short while, was that the author has to BUY their own books! The company I worked for gave the author a 50% discount, but Amazon, Borders and such got a 40% discount, so it wasn't that much better.

I have been around a lot of hs companies, and in general BIP and Linda have never sensored converstation about the competition-how they are the same or different, which is "better" ect..., or how to use both together, or schedules to use both. TOG is worst I have been seen for telling you that you can't talk about their product against any other competition on their forums/yahoo groups. I susupect anything similar made to go with TOG would not be tollerated. Their attitude drives me nuts, but the product meets a need I have so I still use it. Point being there isn't a negative attitude in general, and there is a lot of free stuff in their company owned yahoo files (tlimeline figures, note card helps, schedules) for MOH. There is a protective attitude towards their product though, that I have seen come up repeatedly. I honestly can't blame them, but I hate all the commotion it stirs up. I also get frusterated because I too want everything I can get for free.

I am not convienced they are the only ones who ask people to take things down. Or maybe it is just bad communication? I own one of the two yahoo groups for God's Design Science. They have questions in their book and a teachers answer key, but I wanted worksheets I could give to my child. I wrote the publisher and asked for permission to put those questions in PDF form and to post them on the yahoo group for other moms to use. On outward appearence it looks like I am doing the same thing and getting away with it, but in reality I got the needed permission first.

Just working through things myself...

Heather

Have you looked at the samples of their Notbooking Pages?

http://www.brightide...ages-sample.pdf

There are pages which look very similar to what you created. I would suspect the copyright issue is to do with them, and not with the book. I know the person they paid to create those notbooking pages.

As someone who has worked on the bookeeping side of buisness since I was in high school...these little things make it harder to stay in buisness. From their perspective not only is there free option so what they developed won't sell, but they are out all the mony they paid to have them created in the first place....and they just re-did them in the last year putting more money into it.

Heather (who sees both sides and isn't happy on either side) :(

p.s. In the interest of full disclosure I do have long connections to the buisness as I was one of the earlier MOH users, I help Linda with her website (the author not the publisher) by answering questions people have about MOH and was asked by the owner of Bright Ideas Press to help developt the Illuminations product that goes with MOH as one point (didn't have the time, so turned it down). Currently I am moderator on several of the Bright Ideas Press yahoo groups. They haven't said anything to us moderators about the situation. I wasn't asked to post here by them, in fact they have no idea that I am. I do wish they didn't have to consider the bottom line and wish both sets of pages were available free to everyone. It seems the focus of conversation is how can they violate the book's copyright and wanted to redirect attention to the notebooking pages, which I belive are the real issue.

I really keep going back and forth on how I feel about this whole situation. I wish I knew a MOH user that could help me sort through what really needed to be changed. It is going to be really difficult to change the TOC and titles when their titles are things like "Adam and Eve" and "The Epic of Gilgamesh". So do I have to change those to "Eve and Adam" and "Gilgamesh's Epic"? I know that sounds ridiculous but I really don't know how far I need to take this. It was never meant to be a text replacement, just an enhancement. I highly doubt someone could download these worksheets and say "oh good, now I don't have to buy the actual book". But at the same time I really don't want to get into any legal issues if there truly are any. As far as copying the text, I am going to go look though it again, but I really don't remember copying any sentences. There were phrases of key ideas that I used, but no huge portions of text. Hmm, maybe I will just send them to one of you and you can post it on your blog:)

I missed this suggestion beforeĂ¢â‚¬Â¦LOL. You could always email it to everyone who wants one..but that would be a lot of work for you! Yes, letĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s start passing it around, from blog to blog; eventually they will get tired of contacting all of us and give up. Ah, ha ha! ;) Great plan!

Heather, thanks for your professional perspective on the matter. Very good thoughts there (and nice to see you too!). I agree that some curriculum providers drive me crazy and do or say stupid things, but itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s still good curriculum at the end of the day. The bottom line is- it gets the job done, we enjoy it (whatever it may be) and it can make this task of homeschooling a bit easier. Oh well.

Heather, thanks for your professional perspective on the matter. Very good thoughts there (and nice to see you too!). I agree that some curriculum providers drive me crazy and do or say stupid things, but itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s still good curriculum at the end of the day. The bottom line is- it gets the job done, we enjoy it (whatever it may be) and it can make this task of homeschooling a bit easier. Oh well.

Thanks, I wish I had more time to get on. There is just so much to be done an so little time these days. :)

Heather

*I have revised the pages according to what BIP told me to do and here they are. To use them for MOH you can just look up the page titles using the MOH table of contents and put them together that way. I know it may be a pain but this is the only way I could figure out how to do it without being asked to take them down again. The pages can now probably work with other history curricula as well, or at least most of them. Hope these pages have a better outcome:)

Ancient History Worksheets.pdf

*I have revised the pages according to what BIP told me to do and here they are. To use them for MOH you can just look up the page titles using the MOH table of contents and put them together that way. I know it may be a pain but this is the only way I could figure out how to do it without being asked to take them down again. The pages can now probably work with other history curricula as well, or at least most of them. Hope these pages have a better outcome:)

Thank you for taking the time to do this!!