Menu

Update:)what would you do if your baby turned blue and stopped breathing

Flowing Brook

@OP I left this out of my original response to your thread. I believe you should call the emergency phone number for C.P.S. Here in Colombia, that baby would be taken from the mother, for the protection of the baby. Hopefully, where you live, they will do the same, and they will protect the baby.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ambulance.

Er.

As soon as it happened.

The tongue turning from gray to blue plus passing out would have me very concerned. Usually children who hold their breath are older than eleven months. He could have a cardiac issue that decreases blood supply when he is upset or a myriad of other serious problems.

And as a paramedic, I rarely rarely take my kids to the hospital or doctors and never by ambulance. But this would be one time we did.

:iagree:

A cardiac condition absolutely needs to be ruled out. TODAY! That child needs to be seen ASAP!

I'd call our doctor first and see if she could look at the baby that day. If that wasn't possible, for some reason, at that age, I'd take the baby to the ER or urgent care. That's scary stuff! I don't know that I'd do *ambulance,* but I would have someone (DH, me, or one of my older two kids) sit next to the baby on the ride. If I really, really couldn't get someone to see the baby that night, I'd sleep next to him/her, with a hand on the baby, or I'd sleep sitting up in a recliner with the baby in a sling against my chest.

If money were an issue, I might try urgent care before the ER. But if I were that worried about money that I'd be even debating about care vs. no care (and I'm far from one to take kids to emergency care for small stuff), I'd be applying for help/Medicaid/CHIP for my child.

The child should be seen to rule out any physical causes for the fainting. And to clarify....is the baby passing out, but still breathing when unconscious, or is the child unconscious and NOT breathing? They are two different things. There are children (even as young as 11 months) who can cause themselves to "faint" over anxiety, stress or crying. As soon as they pass out, they immediately start breathing again, their color returns to normal, and they quickly regain consciousness. They will outgrow it. It's called a "cyanotic breathing spell", and they can begin as early as six months old. They will usually stop by age 8. They do not require extensive medical testing, although a visit to the pediatrician to confirm the diagnosis is usual. Parents often mistake them for seizures...they are not. If your older child does this and you want them to breathe quickly (because they can often become injured when they fall), squirt them in the face with a spray bottle of water. They will suck in air and the episode will be averted.

and did she try it when he passed out and it didn't work? or she didn't try it?

When he passed out she flipped him upside down and patted his back. He came to shortly thereafter. I am so sad because if she had to go to this measure something must be wrong with him. She said she is going to the dr tomorrow. It is not soon enough in my book!

The child should be seen to rule out any physical causes for the fainting. And to clarify....is the baby passing out, but still breathing when unconscious, or is the child unconscious and NOT breathing? They are two different things. There are children (even as young as 11 months) who can cause themselves to "faint" over anxiety, stress or crying. As soon as they pass out, they immediately start breathing again, their color returns to normal, and they quickly regain consciousness. They will outgrow it. It's called a "cyanotic breathing spell", and they can begin as early as six months old. They will usually stop by age 8. They do not require extensive medical testing, although a visit to the pediatrician to confirm the diagnosis is usual. Parents often mistake them for seizures...they are not. If your older child does this and you want them to breathe quickly (because they can often become injured when they fall), squirt them in the face with a spray bottle of water. They will suck in air and the episode will be averted.

When he passed out he quit breathing. He quit breathing again twice later in the day.

So yes the baby passed out and quit breathing.

When he passed out he quit breathing. He quit breathing again twice later in the day.

So yes the baby passed out and quit breathing.

If he is passing out and not breathing while he's unconscious, he needs to be taken to the ER. And to make sure I'm not misunderstanding....he is losing consciousness, and requires resuscitation to begin breathing again???? If that's the case....it's an emergency.

Grrr I just talked with my friend again. I tried to get her to at least call the emergency hotline and again get her to take him to the er.

She said the er is only for people who are dying. She said he is fine now. Ahhhh Anyone want to go down there with me and kidnap him and bring him to the er?

I am joking not because this is a light matter. It is what I do when stressed!

Her insurance may not cover it that's why she is waiting. I feel like no amount of money is worth taking a risk with your child but like I said it is not my child.

Is there a pediatric urgent care? For hubby's company insurance, HMO would be $5 for docter and $100 for ER. For PPO plan, it is $20 for doctor and urgent care but $200 for ER. I can understand why your friend won't want to go to ER if her out of pocket is high.

If he is passing out and not breathing while he's unconscious, he needs to be taken to the ER. And to make sure I'm not misunderstanding....he is losing consciousness, and requires resuscitation to begin breathing again???? If that's the case....it's an emergency.

She did not have to do mouth to mouth she turned him upside down and patted his back. He then started breathing again. Later when he quit breathing she blew in his face and he started breathing again.

When he passed out she flipped him upside down and patted his back. He came to shortly thereafter. I am so sad because if she had to go to this measure something must be wrong with him. She said she is going to the dr tomorrow. It is not soon enough in my book!

If she isn't heading to the Urgent Care/ ER now then you need to call CPS, I'm sorry you are in this position but that child could die tonight in it's sleep while the mother is sleeping and not monitoring if the child is breathing all night. This is not a risk worth taking. The mother may not care enough, but you do especially if you are posting here about it.

Calling CPS is serious business. I know. But it needs done. Yes it may damage your friendship, be honest with her tell her she needs to go to the ER or you are calling CPS.

Again, this is serious. Please treat it so, even if the mother won't.

None of us want to log on tomorrow and hear the child died while sleeping :(

Grrr I just talked with my friend again. I tried to get her to at least call the emergency hotline and again get her to take him to the er.

She said the er is only for people who are dying. She said he is fine now. Ahhhh Anyone want to go down there with me and kidnap him and bring him to the er?

I am joking not because this is a light matter. It is what I do when stressed!

Wow. I am so sorry. I would say something to scare the living daylights out of her at this point. Like, 'If you knew he was sick, and didn't do anything, CPS could get involved. If he dies you might be under investigation."

Given our wealth, we have the most effed up insurance system....

I keep coming back to this thread. Is there a chance she's already discussed the issue with her pediatrician and that is why she isn't so concerned? I just cannot imagine a mother not fearing for her baby.

I've asked her three times no she has not called the ped. She looked it up online. The only thing she could find on it was children do it when spoiled. She said she does not want to go to the er only to be told he's fine. The er is for the dying.

I hardly ever take my kids to the doctor, but I would be sucking it up and moving on to the ER if my doctor couldn't see me. Why in the world did she not go to her regular ped earlier in the day, when she wouldn't have to pay for an ER visit? Is she planning on staying up the ENTIRE night to watch him? Because she cannot go to sleep for even five minutes.

Every time he stopped breathing he was crying.

So was he hysterical every time? I had a son who would stop breathing with tantrums around that age. Luckily, taking an Aspie kid out to the doctor's office at his age was enough for everyone to see what was happening.

Or did he stop breathing when he was relatively calm, although upset by something?

She did not have to do mouth to mouth she turned him upside down and patted his back. He then started breathing again. Later when he quit breathing she blew in his face and he started breathing again.

That sounds more like a cyanotic breath holding episode. Blowing in someone's face startles them and causes them to quit holding their breath. They are not life threatening.

So was he hysterical every time? I had a son who would stop breathing with tantrums around that age. Luckily, taking an Aspie kid out to the doctor's office at his age was enough for everyone to see what was happening.

Or did he stop breathing when he was relatively calm, although upset by something?

From what I gather he was crying but not that bad. The first time his tongue went from gray to blue he stopped breathing and passed out.

OK, the mom looked it up online and couldn't find anything scary enough to warrant a trip to the ER. So can any of the medically-inclined people here dig up some links for puddles, so she can email them to her friend? That way, she can say she was really worried, so she started Googling, and here's what she found. Maybe seeing some scary information "in writing" might be enough to convince the woman.

I'm not exactly sure what I'd be looking for, but I know that many people here have far more knowledge of these things that I do.

This is still resuscitation. It may not be mouth to mouth, but baby has to be stimulated to breathe.

I'm sorry, but the police need to be called. And ER visits are not only for the dying(ask the lady with the hangnail I took in my ambulance), but this qualifies as a Serious Medical Emergency.

Honestly, I'd tell my dh what was going on, drive to her house, tell her to grab the kid and take them to the ER. If she balked because of money, I would promise to help her any way possible, my own pocket, a collection from church, etc. If she still hesitated, I would look her in the eyes and say, "Your son could die tonight. We are going to the hospital."

That sounds more like a cyanotic breath holding episode. Blowing in someone's face startles them and causes them to quit holding their breath. They are not life threatening.

That's good to know.

Not being in a medical field, I have to ask, why would this happen to an 11 mos old baby?

I do understand that toddlers sometimes go overboard, but under a year?

From what I gather he was crying but not that bad. The first time his tongue went from gray to blue he stopped breathing and passed out.

Puddles, did you see these episodes personally? Has your friend mentioned her son having them before? Or did this all just start today?

That's good to know.

Not being in a medical field, I have to ask, why would this happen to an 11 mos old baby?

For my son, it was a case of being so angry that he literally forgot how to breathe. He was completely overwhelmed by the noise, the flashing lights, the people or whatever at a grocery store that he would scream in agony and then pass out. He was totally overwhelmed. Little bodies, little brains. :(

Puddles, did you see these episodes personally? Has your friend mentioned her son having them before? Or did this all just start today?

My friend lives out of state. My sister called and asked me to call her and tell her to go to the er since she would not listen to her. The episodes started today. Although my friend said she is wondering if this was not happening before. The reason being is he would be crying hard and someone would put him in his crib anyways and he would stop crying right away. She now wonders if he did not pass out.

I'm still wondering how the friend's dh feels about this (if she has one.) My dh would have called 911 immediately if something like that happened. I can't imagine being casual about it when your child has stopped breathing, even for a second.

I keep wondering how two adults can know their child, the one they waited three years for and were told they could never have are staying home and waiting for morning. I don't know how her dh feels When I talked to her last he was in the background so I know he is aware of what is going on.

My friend lives out of state. My sister called and asked me to call her and tell her to go to the er since she would not listen to her. The episodes started today. Although my friend said she is wondering if this was not happening before. The reason being is he would be crying hard and someone would put him in his crib anyways and he would stop crying right away. She now wonders if he did not pass out.

Ok. I'm a little surprised how nonchalant your friend is. This makes me think it has happened before or she has other kids that have done this?

It's an abnormal response to have a blue faced baby, turn him over, rub his back, and then go on about your day as if nothing untoward was going on. It's normal to see your baby's face turn blue and outright panic.

I hate to say this, but your friend sounds a bit clueless. Is she a really young mom or something?

She is young. Both her and her dh are very immature. I think she really is clueless of how dangerous this could be. I hope everything is ok and I am worrying for nothing. The fact is we don't know and better safe than sorry.

I keep wondering how two adults can know their child, the one they waited three years for and were told they could never have are staying home and waiting for morning. I don't know how her dh feels When I talked to her last he was in the background so I know he is aware of what is going on.

Wow, that really is weird. You would think that they would be the first people to rush to the ER!

And if your friend says the ER is for people who are dying, tell her that some of those "dying" people were apparently too stupid to go when they first had symptoms -- you don't wait until you're nearly dead to go to the hospital, or dying becomes a much more likely outcome. It's different when it's a sudden emergency, but this baby has been in trouble all day!!!

Ok. I'm a little surprised how nonchalant your friend is. This makes me think it has happened before or she has other kids that have done this?

It's an abnormal response to have a blue faced baby, turn him over, rub his back, and then go on about your day as if nothing untoward was going on. It's normal to see your baby's face turn blue and outright panic.

It is her first child. I don't know short of ignorance (or stupidity) how she can be so calm about the whole thing.

That's good to know.

Well, first let me start by saying that the child does need to be seen by a doctor. I'm only giving an opinion from a second-hand description, sight unseen, on the internet. Never the best way to diagnose a medical condition...even with 27 years of experience.

To answer your question about cyanotic breath holding spells, they can happen to babies as young as six months old. It's a response to crying, fear, pain, or frustration. It's caused by a reflex, not a conscious decision on the child's part. Some kids have them everyday, some kids only have them once in a while. They are harmless, although some kids who present this way have iron deficiency anemia, which the doctor will check for. They're diagnosed mostly by the doctor asking questions about what happens during an episode. There aren't a lot of tests performed, as it's fairly easy to recognize from the description.

There's no treatment other than growing out of it. The child is not doing it because he is spoiled. Like I said, it's a reflex. A squirt of water in the face or blowing air in the baby's face will interrupt it and hopefully prevent the fainting (which can be dangerous when the child is mobile if they fall and hit their head).

It is her first child. I don't know short of ignorance (or stupidity) how she can be so calm about the whole thing.

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I'm kind of a wreck just thinking about it, and I don't even know the baby.

I keep wishing I could go to the mom's house and shake some sense into her.

I'm praying that this is what Diane thinks it might be.

Most people do know you kinda need to breathe to survive so I don't get it either.

She does have an appointment tomorrow with a pediatrician though? Do you think she will really go?

Most people do know you kinda need to breathe to survive so I don't get it either.

She does have an appointment tomorrow with a pediatrician though? Do you think she will really go?

I'll bet she doesn't have an appointment, because I can't imagine the receptionist saying, "Oh, he stopped breathing? Okey-dokey, then, we'll see you tomorrow."

Well, unless the receptionist was even more clueless than this mom appears to be.

I think think she will go. I think she is going to make the appointment in the morning. At least that's what she said. She promised to call when she knows anything.

I think think she will go. I think she is going to make the appointment in the morning. At least that's what she said. She promised to call when she knows anything.

I still can't wrap my mind around the idea that she hasn't even called to ask the doctor about this!

How could anyone not be in a panic over this?

I know I tend toward the paranoid about medical stuff, but in this case, I think most people's first reaction would be to get medical care for the baby immediately.

One of my nephews would cry so hard he would pass out. He has mostly outgrown it, but he still has to really work to calm himself down and catch his breath when he is hysterical. He never turned blue. He went out like a light and immediately regained conciousness. My sister's biggest fear was that he would fall down the stairs or into the pool.

In the Mom's defense, this may just be a hysterical kid. So she may be looking at this as just another episode. And statistically, it probably is.

Was it MY reaction? No. But I also had the luxury of not worrying about healthcare expenses. Most Americans don't. I didn't have to make a choice between feeding said kid and getting medical treatment for said kid.

Or maybe she knows another kid that does this. Niece, nephew, babysitting kid, whatever.

And I doubt she told the receptionist that she needed an appointment for breathing problems, Cat.

Seriously. My stomach is in knots. Dh would have had us in the car and at the hospital so fast it would make your head spin. I don't care how much it cost or if it was my first or my third child, if one of my babies turns blue from not breathing three times in one day, we would be at the ER. I wouldn't have even thought to look anything up on the internet. My thoughts would have been more: he's not breathing. Oh thank God, he's breathing again. Where's my purse? We're heading to the hospital. I'll call dh on the way.

every time he was crying when it happened.

My son had that when he was younger. There is a name for it.. Something spell. He will grow out of it. DS grow out of it when he was 2. It was scary but no harm on the kid. Basically the natural takes over when they pass out and he breath again.

I found it.. It called breath holding spell

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breath-holding_spells

Lol,, I just read some posts. A very smart lady already had the name.. But I also agree all the other posts that this kid needed to be see by the Doc.

In the Mom's defense, this may just be a hysterical kid. So she may be looking at this as just another episode. And statistically, it probably is.

Was it MY reaction? No. But I also had the luxury of not worrying about healthcare expenses. Most Americans don't. I didn't have to make a choice between feeding said kid and getting medical treatment for said kid.

Or maybe she knows another kid that does this. Niece, nephew, babysitting kid, whatever.

And I doubt she told the receptionist that she needed an appointment for breathing problems, Cat.

Every time I call for a doctor's appointment, they ask what the problem is, so I assumed that if she'd called her pediatrician's office and said she needed to bring the baby in the next morning, they would have asked what was going on. Maybe your doctor's office is different.

Every time I call for a doctor's appointment, they ask what the problem is, so I assumed that if she'd called her pediatrician's office and said she needed to bring the baby in the next morning, they would have asked what was going on. Maybe your doctor's office is different.

Ours does the same. They always ask what's going on for a sick visit. I know that they would have immediately had us go in, or go to the ER, if I'd called about a child turning blue or stopping breathing. Unfortunately, I know from experience what they say to *any* breathing difficulties - go to the ER.

But it sounds like she hasn't called the doc's office yet. :(

How on earth will she get through the night? Is she going to stay up all night? I'm on pins and needles, we all are here, and can't even imagine...

I wouldn't be visibly concerned if my child had a breath holding spell in front of a friend. While it looks creepy, I would hope that that well-meaning friend would not call CPS on me because of an incident like that. We also blow in our kids' faces to encourage a sharp breath in.

Just because she sounds ignorant (spoiled?! That's an old school myth...) does NOT mean that she's not taking it seriously. Like I said, I would still take the child in to make sure there is no underlying issue.