Menu

Book a Week in 2013 - week fourteen

Robin M

I should be reading Manuscript Bound to Accra but I got sidetracked thanks to Melmichigan with Faith Hunter's Jane Yellowrock Series and read Skinwalker. Finished it, liked it enough to start the 2nd - Blood Cross. What can I say, I'm a sucker for paranoral fantasy series.

We are both suckers for the paranormal. I should be reading Herodotus and instead I started the Kitty Norville series yesterday on your recommendation. ;) I just downloaded number three.

Week 13

68. Wicked Lies: A Dark Mission Novella by Karina Cooper.

69. Twice Tempted: A Night Prince Novel by Jeaniene Frost.

70. Lover At Last: A Novel of the Black Brotherhood by J.R. Ward.

71. Deadly Sting (Elemental Assassin) by Jennifer Estep.

I added my 1st quarter check-in to my signature. I am on track with The Continental, I have Canada, United States, and South America done.

I have five chunksters done.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I decided during a trip to 2nd & Charles today to get a copy of 1984 and go ahead and read it. I have never read it before (I remember getting through school without ever really reading the required reading. I don't know how I did that.), so I guess now's a good a time as any. :) I am beginning chapter 3, and so far I am really enjoying it.

I also picked up To Kill a Mockingbird, Uncle Tom's Cabin, Narrative of the Life of Frederic Douglass, and Cheaper by the Dozen. I haven't read any of these, but I remember two of them being assigned in class (not Frederic Douglass or Cheaper by the Dozen).

I also found a book, Hiroshima, by John Hersey. When I was in 5th or 6th grade, I had a teacher who read aloud to us from a book about the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. I have thought about that so many times over the years, and wished I could remember the name of the book. I only remember that we all waited with bated breath for the time to come when she would read to us, and one little part of the story. Not much to go on. I saw this book, and thought I would take a look. I do believe I have found the book! It will definitely be my next read once we are finished with the 1Q84 read along. I really hope it is the book. I have such great memories of her reading to us.

I decided during a trip to 2nd & Charles today to get a copy of 1984 and go ahead and read it. I have never read it before (I remember getting through school without ever really reading the required reading. I don't know how I did that.), so I guess now's a good a time as any. :) I am beginning chapter 3, and so far I am really enjoying it.

I also picked up To Kill a Mockingbird, Uncle Tom's Cabin, Narrative of the Life of Frederic Douglass, and Cheaper by the Dozen. I haven't read any of these, but I remember two of them being assigned in class (not Frederic Douglass or Cheaper by the Dozen).

I also found a book, Hiroshima, by John Hersey. When I was in 5th or 6th grade, I had a teacher who read aloud to us from a book about the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. I have thought about that so many times over the years, and wished I could remember the name of the book. I only remember that we all waited with bated breath for the time to come when she would read to us, and one little part of the story. Not much to go on. I saw this book, and thought I would take a look. I do believe I have found the book! It will definitely be my next read once we are finished with the 1Q84 read along. I really hope it is the book. I have such great memories of her reading to us.

You would not think that fond memories and Hiroshima go together, but they do for me too. I read the book when I was in high school in Key West, Florida. That year John Hersey visited our school and met with a small select group of students, I was one. When he asked who had read the book, I was the only one who raised my hand. He told me he had patterned the style of the book after The Bridge of San Luis Rey, I was also the only student who had read that book. However, I was mute, speechless in the presence of greatness, lol. Now I wish I had the nerve to carry on some kind of conversation with him.

Finished a little mind candy this morning: Zoo by James Patterson. It was okay, nothing exceptional. Pretty typical of his recent stuff.

With the end of march, comes the end of the first quarter of the year, (thanks for the reminder Shari) so it is a perfect time to do a progress check. How is everyone doing with the challenge and all the personal challengers you've set such as the 5/5/5, continental or mini challenges.

What are you reading this week?

I'm not doing any other challenges besides Book a Week. According to Goodreads I am 8 books 13% ahead of schedule (20/52). I haven't yet decided what I'll read next. I'm looking forward to the end of April and the Dewey's 24-hour Read-a-Thon. I've participated for the last several years now and it's always a blast.

Completed So Far

1. Best Friends by Samantha Glen

2. Wesley the Owl by Stacey O'Brien

3. The Gift of Pets: Stories Only a Vet Could Tell by Bruce Coston

4. Nim Chimpsky: The Chimp Who Would Be Human by Elizabeth Hess

5. Last Chance to See by Douglas Adams & Mark Carwardine

6. Confessions of a Prairie Bitch by Alison Arngrim

7. Beowulf by Seamus Heaney

8. The Odyssey by Homer (Fagles translation)

9. The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield

10. The Year of Learning Dangerously: Adventures in Homeschooling by Quinn Cummings

11. Neither Here Nor There by Bill Bryson

12. Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery

13. Tales of an African Vet by Dr. Roy Aronson

14. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

15. The Romanovs: The Final Chapter by Robert K. Massie

16. Kisses From Katie by Katie Katie Davis

17. Iguanas for Dummies by Melissa Kaplan

18. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

19. Zoo by James Patterson

So anyone else here not set any challenges this year? Okay, well I do want to attack my TBR pile. Other than that no challenges.

I did not set any challenges. I am simply reading for the sheer pleasure, as well as for escape. No great, deep classic tomes of educational thought either - don't want to concentrate that hard right now! :) Life is challenging enough without purposely adding to it with something that I dearly love doing (reading). I don't need or want that pressure. Reading is relaxing - an Ahhhhhhhh-take-me-away-Calgon-moment (for those who remember that old commercial :) )!

I've given up on my first book so far this year. The Bedwetter

I thought it would be funny. It's not. It's depressing and disturbing. I'm not wasting time on it anymore.

The description does sound like it would be funny. Plus if you like Sarah Silverman at all it might be something you'd want to read. It's always disappointing to expect one thing from a book and end up with something completely different (and not in a good way).

I've never been one to think I have to finish a book. Not only is life too short to waste on books I don't like, there are too many books I know I will like to waste on ones I don't.

I was able to read two books this week. Rome Sweet Rome gave me much to think about and am glad I finally read it. Picked up How to Eat a Cupcake by Meg Donahue off a display at the library and it provided for a light and enjoyable escape. This week I am going to try to read both A Handmaid's Tale and 1984. And I woud like to join in the reading of 1Q84 this next week.

Since this is my first year, 52 Books in 52 Weeks is my only challenge. I am holding steady. :001_smile:

In Process:

The Pilgrim’s Progress

Completed:

14.) How to Eat a Cupcake

13.) Rome Sweet Rome

12.) Don Quixote

11.) Simplicity Parenting

10.) The Well-Educated Mind

9.) Gone Girl

8.) Last Child in the Woods

7.) East of Eden

6.) The $100 Start Up

5.) A Christmas Carol

4.) Dracula

3.) The Night Circus

2.) Switch

1.) Getting Things Done

Happy Easter!

A quick question about our readalong. Do we need to have read 1984 before 1Q84? I need to read 1984, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

I honestly don't know. It's been a few years since I read 1984. Read a suggestion somewhere on the interwebz that if find any references to 1984 confusing, to read the wikipedia synopsis. Which is what I'll probably do. Same as I did with Hopscotch when some of it wasn't making sense.

I'm still deep in Faith Hunter's paranormal fantasy world of Jane Yellowrock. Read about two chapters of Manuscript of Accra - not impressed so far

I have several ongoing mini challenges to get through my stacks and had planned on a book buying ban until the end of this month. It lasted all of one month. :)

A to Z by title and author - I'm to F

Book to Movie: Only read two of my books so far - Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Phillip Dick and just received Blade Runner yesterday so will be watching it probably this weekend. Neuromancer (my canada read) is the basis for The Matrix which just came up on cable so dvred it. Still haven't read or watched Chocolat yet.

Chunksters: I'm planned on reading 12 chunksters this year and so far have completed 3

Continental Challenge: North America - have read one from Canada, several from the u.s, and one from Jamaica. Plus one from South America, and two from Europe. I'm hopping about a bit as well and not staying strictly in one continent.

Dusty Books: Managed to read 14 dusty books which cleared the shelves a tiny bit, but it seems my books are having babies.

Inspiration: Only read one out of 12 planned.

New challenge just started this month which is the monthly mix up mania - reading books based on letters of the month starting with January. Don't ask me why they waited til April to start. Have a dusty one that have been meaning to read The Road to Jerusalem by swedish author Jan Guillou which is a great start for January.

New challenge just started this month which is the monthly mix up mania - reading books based on letters of the month starting with January. Don't ask me why they waited til April to start. Have a dusty one that have been meaning to read The Road to Jerusalem by swedish author Jan Guillou which is a great start for January.

This looks interesting.

I might have to start a dusty challenge. I have seventeen pages of books on my kindle again. (I archive as soon as I've read something.)

I honestly don't know. It's been a few years since I read 1984. Read a suggestion somewhere on the interwebz that if find any references to 1984 confusing, to read the wikipedia synopsis. Which is what I'll probably do. Same as I did with Hopscotch when some of it wasn't making sense.

I think that's what I'll do. 1984 was still some years away when I read 1984. :) but I don't feel the desire to read it again. If I need to, I'll just check the synopsis.

I

Book to Movie: Neuromancer (my canada read) is the basis for The Matrix which just came up on cable so dvred it. Still haven't read or watched Chocolat yet.

I didn't know that about Neuromancer. l've see Chocolat but always meant to read the book. Another one of my "someday" books.

It looks like you're doing great with your challenges. I tip my hat to you for doing so many!

Has anyone mentioned this year's Diagram prize given by Bookseller magazine to the oddest titled book of the year? Drum roll please for the 2013 winner, Goblinproofing One's Chicken Coop.

Goblinproofing.jpg

I don't know. The short list contained How to Sharpen Pencils--an appropriate book for some forum readers since it seems that pencil discussions occur regularly.

Read more about the short list here or the winning book here.

Actually, I think this year's winner might be an excellent holiday gift. Is it too early to shop for Christmas?

Has anyone mentioned this year's Diagram prize given by Bookseller magazine to the oddest titled book of the year? Drum roll please for the 2013 winner, Goblinproofing One's Chicken Coop.

I don't know. The short list contained How to Sharpen Pencils--an appropriate book for some forum readers since it seems that pencil discussions occur regularly.

Read more about the short list here or the winning book here.

Actually, I think this year's winner might be an excellent holiday gift. Is it too early to shop for Christmas?

Wow, totally excellent! http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/thumbup1.gif THANK YOU, Jane, for posting this. This book is *perfect* for dd. Her reading consists of two main categories -- 1) fantasy and 2) non-fiction, esp. anything having to do w/ animals, farming, homesteading, 'lost' skills/crafts, etc.... (Last night, she was reading an encyclopedia about herbs.) I now have this in my amazon cart for dd's birthday!

So anyone else here not set any challenges this year? Okay, well I do want to attack my TBR pile. Other than that no challenges.

I haven't set any challenges. My tbr pile is pretty big so between that and my knitting obsession, I figure I have enough to keep myself entertained for quite a while. :) I do listen to audiobooks while knitting, does that count as "books read"?

I haven't set any challenges. My tbr pile is pretty big so between that and my knitting obsession, I figure I have enough to keep myself entertained for quite a while. :) I do listen to audiobooks while knitting, does that count as "books read"?

Yes, they do.

You betcha! I listen while I crochet, while I walk, fix dinner. I love it!

This is my first year trying the Book a Week, so I'm only doing one challenge: the Continental. So far I have read books from Canada, Europe, and Asia (Pakistan and North Korea). I'm struggling with the South America selection, having picked up and put down two separate biographies of Eva Peron. I'm sure I'll get there, though. I have to confess to sinking to the level of googling which continent Cuba is on in the hopes that I could count The Old Man and the Sea. Sadly, it's North America.

I also did a couple of the monthly challenges, reading a food book and a Dickens book.

Finished one this week:

Waiting: The True Confessions of a Waitress by Debra Ginsberg - Aptly enough, this is the memoir of a waitress. I do not understand why either the author or her publisher thought that her story or her perspective on the profession was worthy of a book. Very boring; came across as a gripe about stingy management and demanding customers.

Finished this Year:

30. Waiting: The True Confessions of a Waitress by Debra Ginsberg

29. The Good House by Ann Leary

28. The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin Hamid (audio; Continents Challenge: Asia)

27. A Spiderweb for Two by Elizabeth Enright (Read Aloud)

26. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain (Audio)

25. Wheat Belly by William Davis (gave up wheat 3/11/13; 5.5 pounds lost to date)

24. As Husbands Go by Susan Isaacs (audio)

23. Attachments by Rainbow Rowell

22. UnWholly by Neal Shusterman

21. Then There Were Five by Elizabeth Enright (Read Aloud)

20. Heartburn by Nora Ephron (Food book challenge)

19. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

18. A Tale of Two Cities (Audio; Dickens challenge)

17. Nothing to Envy by Barbara Demick (Continents Challenge: Asia)

16. Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion

15. Money Secrets of the Amish by Lorilee Craker

14. Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

13. Confessions of a Prairie Bitch by Alison Arngrim

12. The Old Man and the Sea (Audio)

11. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (Audio)

10. Forgotten Bookmarks by Michael Popek

9. An Invisible Thread by Laura Schroff

8. Breaking Night by Liz Murray

7. The Four Story Mistake by Elizabeth Enright (Read aloud)

6. The Autobiography of an Execution by David Dow

5. A Complicated Kindness by Miriam Toews (Continents Challenge: Canada)

4. The Children of Noisy Village by Astrid Lindgren (Read aloud)

3. The Saturdays by Elizabeth Enright (Read aloud)

2. Lullabies for Little Criminals by Heather O'Neill (Continents Challenge: Canada)

1. A Walk Across the Sun by Corban Addison

I decided not to wait till Sunday to tell how much I loved Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore. I just finished it and am still wriggling with delight. Okay, maybe I'm wierd but it is my favorite book so far this year. It was such fun and I loved the way the story was written, in spite of the Google promotion. But even Google was not infallible, and there were the author's continuous little hints that nothing lasts forever, maybe. :-)

Plus, the cover glows in the dark.

I'm reading 1Q84, just started Book Two.

Just finished Stuck in the Middle with You: A Memoir of Parenting in Three Genders by Jennifer Finney Boylan. Loved it. I hope to have a review up soon.

Also reading a self-published book, called Spiral Aloe: Deceit in Losotho, Africa's Mountain Kingdom by L.A. Forbes. It's about an American who joins the Peace Corps and goes to live in a small village in southern Africa. It almost has a third-person memoir feel about it, but it's fiction. I'm enjoying it so far, not so much for the plot (so far there doesn't seem to be one...) but because of the cultural interest.

I decided not to wait till Sunday to tell how much I loved Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore. I just finished it and am still wriggling with delight. Okay, maybe I'm wierd but it is my favorite book so far this year. It was such fun and I loved the way the story was written, in spite of the Google promotion. But even Google was not infallible, and there were the author's continuous little hints that nothing lasts forever, maybe. :-)

Thank you, this looks like something I would like. I prefer ebooks these days and checked my library. They have the ebook! I added it to my wish list since I don't want to start something new right now. I have several books going and will start 1Q84 soon for the read along. BTW, I noticed this book was favorably compared to the style often used by the author of 1Q84.

So happy you enjoyed it. Moving it up in the stacks to read soon.

I finished Manuscript Found in Accra by Paulo Coelho. Have to admit I skimmed most of it. Not philosophical literature at it's best IMHO. Kind of reminded me of a new age wannabe of the wisdom books from the bible except with a fatalistic attitude. My review is schedule for Friday and it ain't purty. So sorry Mr. publisher!

Back to Jane Yellowrock in Raven Cursed.

Yes, audio books count. I listen while in the car and sometimes while cooking, something while cleaning. Although I'm battling my son for possession of my iphone these days because he's become enamored with listening to the Star Wars stories.

Yes, audio books count. I listen while in the car and sometimes while cooking, something while cleaning. Although I'm battling my son for possession of my iphone these days because he's become enamored with listening to the Star Wars stories.

We got DD her own personal high capacity iPod when she was 4 years old because she kept wanting to abscond with ours to listen to audiobooks.

Recently finished 58) Touch & Go by Lisa Gardner -- I figured it out fairly early but there were some surprises, and 59) Presumed Guilty by Tess Gerritsen -- a very readable suspense book. Nothing special.

Working on 1984. Boy, this is so not the book I remember. I really need to reread the classics from high school days.

This week I finished Evelina (reading) and To The Lighthouse (listening). The latter took a lot of getting into, but I was entranced by it in the end. I'm currently listening to Things Fall Apart - Chinua Achebe, and reading The Real Downton Abbey (not my thing but set by my book group).

So far this year:

1: Mr Briggs' Hat

2: Busman's Honeymoon (re-read) - Dorothy Sayers

3: Notwithstanding (re-read for book group) - Louis de Bernieres

4: Bad Pharma - Ben Goldacre

5: The Pages - Murray Bail

6: Great Tales From English History.

7: Unnatural Causes - PD James (re-read)

8: Behind the Scenes at the Museum - Kate Atkinson (re-read)

9: Jack Maggs - Peter Carey

10: Why - Everyday Answers to Scientific Questions - Joel Levy

11: Brideshead Revisited - Evelyn Waugh

12: Mad World: Evelyn Waugh and the Secrets of Brideshead - Paula Byrne

13: Evelina - Frances Burney

14: To The Lighthouse - Virginia Woolf

Laura

I have challenges planned but am not sure how many I will manage to complete.

Continental -- North and South America complete

Dewey Decimal -- 400's done

The 5/5/5/5/5:

Dusty books from my BF -- 5 of 5 done (yeah)

C.S. Lewis -- 0 of 5 done

Bronte Sisters -- 0 of 5 done

British History -- 0 of 5 done (can be novel form)

Church History -- 0 of 5 done

A majority of this will take care of many of my personal dusty books. Meaning the ones on book tables that I needed but still have not read.;) Hopefully after I finish 1Q84 (which will be Asia right?) I will start on these.

I just finished an enjoyable historical romance -- The Duchess War (The Brothers Sinister) by Courtney Milan.

"Miss Minerva Lane is a quiet, bespectacled wallflower, and she wants to keep it that way. After all, the last time she was the center of attention, it ended badly—so badly that she changed her name to escape her scandalous past. Wallflowers may not be the prettiest of blooms, but at least they don’t get trampled. So when a handsome duke comes to town, the last thing she wants is his attention. But that is precisely what she gets. Because Robert Blaisdell, the Duke of Clermont, is not fooled. When Minnie figures out what he’s up to, he realizes there is more to her than her spectacles and her quiet ways. And he’s determined to lay her every secret bare before she can discover his. But this time, one shy miss may prove to be more than his match…"

The characters and the storyline were both intriguing.

Regards,

Kareni

I finished The World Until Yesterday by Jared Diamond and really enjoyed it. I am wondering about his section about breastfeeding--he mentions the difficulty of breastfeeding two (done that--not so difficult) but doesn't mention the problems of breastfeeding in pregnancy and issues of supply then. I found it curious and want to read more about the issue. He mentions infanticide of the infant in these cases, but I would think the problem of being able to feed the toddler would have occurred in pregnancy.

Follow my passion: Take the time to fully explore an area/period/genre of interest as the fancy strikes me. I don't plan these, at all; they are the product of serendipity. This year I did Rome for a number of weeks. made an abortive start on the Henry V era (I am still hoping to get back to that), and am in the midst of the 1920's-1930's (mostly in Britain, but not exclusively), and am doing a gradually broadening of my exposure to undersea things, not oceanography, as such (at least not yet!), and at the moment it is as much about the photography, the dives, etc as the undersea world itself. I listed this as a goal so I don't let myself short change this very essential part of my reading life for other things, just because those books have a ticky-box category... *sigh* at least I know my weaknesses!

Eliana, I love this. Can you talk to me a little more about the process? How do you begin? Are you reading a book and another book is mentioned in it, so you get that one and read it, too? As you are reading, is it a topic that is presented that peeks your interest, and you just find more books on that topic?

I'm sure this is very simple, but the only reading I have done that comes close to this are series. Just read the next one in the author's series.

Eliana, I love this. Can you talk to me a little more about the process? How do you begin? Are you reading a book and another book is mentioned in it, so you get that one and read it, too? As you are reading, is it a topic that is presented that peeks your interest, and you just find more books on that topic?

I'm sure this is very simple, but the only reading I have done that comes close to this are series. Just read the next one in the author's series.

I'm not Eliana, but I did something similar to this (in a small way) w/ my South American reading. I was reading Hopscotch (my planned book, set in Argentina, also by an Argentinian author). I planned to get some other South American books too & happened across one (The Tenth Circle, also by an Argentinian author) at the library because it had "Latin American" written on the spine. Once I picked it up & read it, I noticed the dedication in it was in honor/memory of two people who seemed like they were probably authors (based on what was written there), so I looked them up on Wikipedia. They were indeed authors, so I looked to see if my library had any of their books. It did & that's how I found my next two South American books (also Argentinian), both by Osvaldo Soriano.

When I read Nick & Jake (which was filled w/ real historical figures, along w/ various literary characters), I became interested in some of the (unfamiliar to me) literary characters. So, I'm now planning to read both The Sun Also Rises (Hemingway) and The Razor's Edge (Maugham) -- books I've never read & didn't really have on my radar until main characters of these books popped up in Nick & Jake & it made me interested in the original works. (I still plan to do this after we read 1Q84.)

That sort-up sums up how my rabbit trails work, if that's any help....

That sort-up sums up how my rabbit trails work, if that's any help....

Yes! Thank you. Perhaps I have started something of this sort with reading 1984 before beginning our 1Q84 read along? I have never read it, have thought to, but never got around to. This has pressed the issue, so to speak, and I'm glad it has.

Joining this whole challenge has greatly broadend my reading horizons. I am so glad I joined and have stuck with it this year. Plus, I am making new reading buddies, and a person can never have too many of those! :D

Joining this whole challenge has greatly broadend my reading horizons. I am so glad I joined and have stuck with it this year. Plus, I am making new reading buddies, and a person can never have too many of those! :D

:thumbup1: :D

If you try just one Latin American poet I nominate Neruda... I've enjoyed most of the other poets (and I love poetry), but Neruda is transcendent. This is the volume I've added to my wish list.

Watch out for the pornographic boat ride (if you mind that sort of thing! I, personally, avoid it fervently). These are, from one perspective, utterly dreadful books, but there is a playfulness and sweetness to them that lead me to not only read them during one extended illness, but to reread them when I was down with the flu again! (And now I know what to skip!)

Thanks for the rec of Neruda.

Ok (for the Pink Carnation book). Haven't gotten to any parts like that so far.... Seems like a mix of very light historical fiction + romance. (I guess this is what 'romance' books are like since I don't normally read those.)

Completed:

Book #36 - "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" by Mark Twain. (WEM)

Book #35 - "Maphead" by Ken Jennings.

Book #34 - "Portrait of a Lady" by Henry James. (WEM)

Book #33 - "Earthly Deligihts" by Kerry Greenwood. (Australian author, Australian setting.)

Book #32 - "The Year of Learning Dangerously" by Quinn Cummings.

Book #31 - "The Uncommon Appeal of Clouds" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #30 - "The Forgotten Affairs of Youth" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #29 - "The Charming Quirks of Others" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #28 - "I am Half-Sice of Shadows" by Alan Bradley. (Canadian author, English setting.)

Book #27 - ""Brainiac: Adventures in the Curious, Competitive, Compulsive World of Trivia Buffs" by Ken Jennings.

Book #26 - "Because I Said So!: The Truth Behind the Myths, Tales & Warnings Every Generation Passes Down to Its Kids" by Ken Jennings.

Book #25 - "A Red Herring Without Mustard" by Alan Bradley. (Canadian author, English setting.)

Book #24 - "The Case of the Man Who Died Laughing" by Tarquin Hall. (British author, Indian setting.)

Book #23 - "The Lost Art of Gratitude" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #22 - "The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag" by Alan Bradley. (Canadian author, English setting.)

Book #21 - "Academic Homeschooling: How to Give Your Child an Amazing Education and Survive" by Tracy Chatters.

Book #20 - "The Comforts of a Muddy Saturday" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #19 - "The Return of the Native" by Thomas Hardy. (WEM.)

Book #18 - "The Careful Use of Compliments" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #17 - "The Right Attitude to Rain" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #16 - "Inspector Singh Investigates: A Most Peculiar Malaysian Murder" by Shamini Flint. (Singaporean author, Malaysian setting.)

Book #15 - "Friends, Lovers, Chocolate" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #14 - "Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie" by Alan Bradley. (Canadian author, English setting.)

Book #13 - "Portuguese Irregular Verbs" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/]Scottish author, German character, German/Swiss/Italian/Ireland/Indian settings.)

Book #12 - "In Cold Pursuit" by Sarah Andrews. (Antarctica setting.)

Book #11 - "Anna Karenina" by Leo Nikoleyevich Tolstoy. (Russian; or WEM challenge.)

Book #10 - "The Sunday Philosophy Club" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #9 - "The Limpopo Academy of Private Detection" by Alexander McCall Smith. (]Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #8 - "The Saturday Big Tent Wedding Party" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #7 - "The Double Comfort Safari Club" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #6 - " Tea Time for the Traditionally Built" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #5 - "Crime and Punishment" by Fydor Dostoevsky. (Russian; or WEM challenge.)

Book #4 - "The Miracle of Speedy Motors" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #3 - "The Good Husband of Zebra Drive" by Alexander McCall Smith. (]Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #2 - "Blue Shoes and Happiness" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #1 - "In the Company of Cheerful Ladies" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

:iagree: I've added quite a few books to my TBR list thanks to this group. I love reading everyone else's reviews, even if it's not something I'm interested in reading. I also found there are others who love or hate some of the same books as I.

I haven't found a down side to this group, unless I count having too many books to read. :D

:iagree: I've added quite a few books to my TBR list thanks to this group. I love reading everyone else's reviews, even if it's not something I'm interested in reading. I also found there are others who love or hate some of the same books as I.

I haven't found a down side to this group, unless I count having too many books to read. :D

I don't think it is a matter of having too many books to read, but not having enough time to read them! :lol:

Remember this scene in The Matrix?

I want that. Now. I have a STACK of books I need to read, understand, and implement NOW. Books on child development, books on gifted children and how they learn, books on parenting, books on discipline. I also have curriculum I need to read - The Writing Road To Reading, the MEP Reception lessons, the Miquon Teacher's Notes and Lab Annotations, Telling God's Story.

I want to say "I know Spalding". NOW.

Let's not forget about my "fun" reading: The Iliad, One Hundred Years of Solitude, 1Q84, etc.

Please excuse me while I freak out. Talk amongst yourselves.

Mazel tov on finishing Herodotus! (though I am impressed that you find 100 Years of Solitude an easier read than Herodotus.. I loved Marquez's Clandestine in Chile and am waiting for his other non-fiction to come in at the library, but I have never been able to get into his fiction. ...someday maybe I'll have matured enough to appreciate magical realism! Perhaps I should have used the SA challenge to push myself and expand my comfort zone... but I've opted for pleasure reading instead.)

Thank you! And concerning Marquez, I am only on page 15 so it's early. The book is still young!

Hello, had a great Spring Break and got some reading done from the WEM book list. I finished If on a Winters Night a Traveler and the Song of Solomon. I am now reading Possession by Byatt.

Read this year:

16. Red Badge of Courage

17. Heart of Darkness

18. The House of Mirth

19. The Great Gatsby

20. Mrs. Dolloway

21. The Trial

22. Native Son

23. The Stanger

24. 1984

25. Invisible Man

26. Seize the Day