Menu

Socks

DawnM

This is going to be THE most exciting conversation I know :glare:

My boys are forever complaining that they can't find socks.

SO, I am going to go out and buy about 50 pair of matching white crew socks.

However, in the past I haven't paid attention to brands at all. If I am going to buy this many, I have a couple of things I want to make sure I get.

1. Socks that stay up and don't slip down.

2. Socks that are soft and comfortable. We have gotten poorly made socks that seem scratchy and are not comfortable to walk with after a while.

3. $2 or less per pair.

Suggestions of brands???? Are Hanes or Fruit of the Loom good enough? Seems one of those is what we didn't like but I can't remember which one. Costco brand? My friend says her son complains they don't stay up, but it could be just him?

Thank you.

Dawn

Hanes and Fruit of the Loom are actually less than $2 per pair.

If you buy socks individually or in a pack of 3, they are more expensive, but even the gold toe socks are less than $3 per pair if you buy them on Amazon.

Costco socks are less than $2 each.

I could go over $2 each, but I would need to buy fewer.

I would, however, prefer to spend $3/pair and have them last longer if it is an either/or situation.

Dawn

No I think it would be quite difficult to buy socks for $2 a pair. You might get that price on a huge pack that's on sale. Or maybe at the dollar store. But they aren't going to be very good.

Yeah I was thinking of the bigger packs. They are under $2, although not much under. I hate buying socks. They are necessary, but they seem so expensive!

And they are always missing!!! :glare:

On a somewhat related note, I recently bought DS 11 a pack of Hanes socks. I ended up with a pair of his socks in my drawer and put them on and then realized I had his socks on. But you know what?! It's the first time a pair of socks properly fit my feet! So now I think I'm buying my socks in the boy's department. :laugh:

I did the same thing with my ds's Hanes socks. I liked them better than mine because they were less squeezy than my own women's Hanes. I now steal his socks all the time. I can't vouch for how well they stay up. Nobody here cares if their socks are slouchy

When I say I don't want socks to fall down, I mean mostly into the shoe. There is nothing worse than being on a walk or hike and having to stop and take your whole shoe off to reposition or adjust your socks. If the top portion slouch a bit above the shoe line, that isn't as bad.

Dawn

We do that with socks in our family.

My boys have black Hanes socks. I find the black works best since they can look good with black dress pants. That was the theory, but Eldest hates to wear pants and Youngest hates wearing anything with buttons. But in theory they could look nice with black dress pants.

Dh use to have black Hanes, but in a much larger size. But I didn't like having two sets of black socks in the family. He now has gray socks, and a few black ones if he needs black for some reason. (Most of his pants are not black, and he wears white running shoes to work). I think they are Hanes.

I personally like the white ankle champion socks from Costco.

When I say I don't want socks to fall down, I mean mostly into the shoe. There is nothing worse than being on a walk or hike and having to stop and take your whole shoe off to reposition or adjust your socks. If the top portion slouch a bit above the shoe line, that isn't as bad.

Dawn

This is the exact issue my DS was having with Hanes (and Champion Target brand) socks. He has an extremely narrow foot though, so he could be an exception. The gold toe socks (or smart wool when we're outside in the winter), is all he'll wear now

The last big batch of socks I bought for the boys was Wilson cushioned sports socks (crew length). They have remained hole-free longer than any other brand I've bought. I think I got them at TJ Maxx, or maybe Walmart or Sears, and I don't remember how much they cost, but I thought the price was reasonable. They are white, and have a dark gray heel and toe.

I do not like the Fruit of the Loom brand.

SO, I am going to go out and buy about 50 pair of matching white crew socks.

Dawn

i do this for dh.... buy multiple pairs of the same socks. then, i don't have to pair them, and he can just reach into the drawer, grab two random socks, and ... oh look, they match ;)

i am thinking fifty pr would be too many.

if you wash at least once a week, 7 pr per child could work well.

i wonder if part of the slipping down is because they wear one another's socks. we have noticed here that if my dds wear my socks, they never quite get back to the right size for my slightly smaller feet.

if that is the case, maybe you could get three packs, each with a different color band/toe, one for each kid.

it could work ;)

ann

I spoke with a friend today about this and she said the ones she got from Costco were called Russel. I wonder if our Costco sells more than one brand of crew sock?

I have to have crew height as the boys wear hiking boots more than they wear tennis shoes.

Dawn

We do that with socks in our family.

My boys have black Hanes socks. I find the black works best since they can look good with black dress pants. That was the theory, but Eldest hates to wear pants and Youngest hates wearing anything with buttons. But in theory they could look nice with black dress pants.

Dh use to have black Hanes, but in a much larger size. But I didn't like having two sets of black socks in the family. He now has gray socks, and a few black ones if he needs black for some reason. (Most of his pants are not black, and he wears white running shoes to work). I think they are Hanes.

I personally like the white ankle champion socks from Costco.

Most of those socks you buy in bulk do not have different color bands.

In fact, the only diff. color bands I have seen come in a 3-5 pack and have different colors within the same pack.

i do this for dh.... buy multiple pairs of the same socks. then, i don't have to pair them, and he can just reach into the drawer, grab two random socks, and ... oh look, they match ;)

i am thinking fifty pr would be too many.

if you wash at least once a week, 7 pr per child could work well.

i wonder if part of the slipping down is because they wear one another's socks. we have noticed here that if my dds wear my socks, they never quite get back to the right size for my slightly smaller feet.

if that is the case, maybe you could get three packs, each with a different color band/toe, one for each kid.

it could work ;)

ann

I've never had any problems with the sock my boys wear. I always by the Target cherokee brand. Now I will say the sock falling into the shoe issue, may not actually be the socks, but the shoes. I went through a whole bunch of different socks once for myself because of this problem, I must have bought every brand out there, but it still happened. Then I bought a different brand of shoe and it didn't matter what socks I wore they all were fine.

I have been buying Jefferies socks off Amazon for my boys. They are really good quality, thick and very cushion-y. Was tired of the cheap socks that were too thin. Also, one Ds has a major foot odor problem when there is any bit of color, spandex or nylon type material. These completely eliminated that issue. They have held up wonderfully although I did wash them on hot once, and noticed a bit of shrinking. We have the short and long socks, and like them both. Highly recommend!

I see children's socks but no men's socks. Do they make adult socks? And where do you get them? Amazon only seems to list children's.

I have been buying Jefferies socks off Amazon for my boys. They are really good quality, thick and very cushion-y. Was tired of the cheap socks that were too thin. Also, one Ds has a major foot odor problem when there is any bit of color, spandex or nylon type material. These completely eliminated that issue. They have held up wonderfully although I did wash them on hot once, and noticed a bit of shrinking. We have the short and long socks, and like them both. Highly recommend!

I see children's socks but no men's socks. Do they make adult socks? And where do you get them? Amazon only seems to list children's.

I am not sure about adult. That would be great if they did! My Ds is 7, so I *think* I order the medium in children's. Someone in the review section explains the sock sizes, so you know which to order.

Both of my guys wear black crew socks. I just got dh some at a 40% off sale at Jockey, and they are great. I got 4 packs of black socks for ds at Hanes, and he really likes them. Don't know the brand though. Black crew socks are great for making dress shoes comfortable!

And only 7 pairs a week???? I don't know what they do with their socks, but there are always a ton in the wash!!

We get the boys Nike socks from Kohl's when they go on sale, which, being Kohl's, is frequently... We have quite a stockpile now. Lol. I think we pay between $2-3 a pair.

My husband went cheap and bought a whole bunch of Hanes once. Once being the operative there. They were thin, scratchy, and didn't so much fall down into the shoe as weren't in shaped in any way that corresponded to a foot, so they had weird pockets of extra material in the shoe. Blech.

Ok, today we have been on a major sock finding mission.......as in at our own HOUSE! :laugh:

I can't believe the places we have found socks.....behind beds, in dressers (as in ONE sock stuck in the back, etc...), under the washer and dryer, under sofas, you name it!

I have now washed ALL of them and we have matched what we could.

Turns out I must have bought a pack from Costco (Russell brand) a while back. We have about 8 pair of those. We also have Hanes of various kinds.....YUP, those are the ones we don't like! I will not be buying those again.....

The Costco ones I think are ok. They are soft and seem durable, although they haven't been worn as much.

I may just stop off tomorrow at Costco and get another 8 pack of them that match the 8 I already have.

Dawn

Use Permanent markers and you can mark the toe seam in a color for each person.

Most of those socks you buy in bulk do not have different color bands.

In fact, the only diff. color bands I have seen come in a 3-5 pack and have different colors within the same pack.

I buy my son the Auro (Gold Toe for Target) brand. They have gray or navy soles, so they don't look gross on the bottoms. They have different number of gold bands around the toe area to indicate size. Small has one, medium two, large three. I started buying all the same socks when he was in small, and we're now up to the larges! I rarely have to throw a sock away because of holes, but if I do, it doesn't matter as they're all identical. No sock matching makes laundry folding much easier. DH likes the men's Auro and he is super picky. I believe they're right at your ideal price point too. I can't find them online, but I want to say they're $6.xx per 3 pair.

Just another option..........the Joe Boxer socks from K Mart. We won't have a K mart in our area but when we vacation we specifically go to K Mart and buy SOCKS. They have held up the best of any sox here for my husband and ds.

I have the problem with matching socks in that we have ds's bio brother stay with us some times..........and he leaves socks behind. Then we have 2 young teen boys that dh is like a "big brother" to that stay with us 1-2 days most weekends and they leave socks here....................AND all 3 of these boys often come here with MIS MATCHED socks to begin with and then between that and all the AWOL socks I can go nuts trying to match up socks around here.........esp. since many of these never even started off matching.

I read a suggestion once to use one of those mesh lingerie bags for each kid to put their dirty socks in when they take them off. Throw the whole bag in the washer and dryer then dump them into the drawer. I'm going to try this soon. I'll just have to train them to put the socks in the bag instead of under the bed, in the closet, etc etc!

Jodie

My DH and DFIL both swear by Gold Toe. They fit well, don't slide around in the shoe, and last quite a while (and stay looking good while doing so). Theirs are mostly trouser socks (for office wear), but I've bought gold toe socks for my girls, too, and have been very happy with them. The socks are outgrown long before they start to look bad. I've had some pairs go through both girls (a year with each) and still be good enough to hand down.

What I like about them is the toe seams are comfortable. All to many of my socks I turn inside out because of toe seam bulk. I guess I need to go buy some Gold Toe socks for ME now....