Menu

I need a job. Please help me think of something so i can keep homeschooling.

DB in NJ

DH is a sheet metal worker, and work has been scarce to say the least. He's working all kinds of side jobs & waiting for a determination from unemployment. We haven't had a paycheck in about a month. I would like to do something to help out, but I need the flexibility to continue homeschooling. Any ideas?

If something doesn't happen soon, we'll have to sell the house.

Work weekends at a grocery store. Dh had a pay cut years ago, I talked with our grocery store's manager and asked about doing 2 12 hour shifts on Saturday and Sunday. He said to let him know, because they are hard to fill (weekends and busiest time). Luckily dh got side work and I didn't have to do it.

after school care? care for school kids on off days or short days? Tutoring for elementary age students? ( I tutored 5th grade math years ago and made about $20/hr, but that depends on area.)

This is my back up plan in case I should ever need work.

after school care? care for school kids on off days or short days? Tutoring for elementary age students? ( I tutored 5th grade math years ago and made about $20/hr, but that depends on area.)

This is my back up plan in case I should ever need work.

How did you advertise? Did you work in your own house?

DB -- do you live in an urban or rural area? Is there a college nearby? Often colleges and universities have a pool of temporary on-call workers, especially in the summer.

Check out your local hospital's job board. There are tons of non-clinical jobs in hospitals. You'll have a set schedule and most likely, health benefits. Check for positions in the hospital cafeteria, medical records department, housekeeping, gift shop, even patient registration. Hospitals run 24/7, so they need administrative and cleaning people for all shifts. Good luck!

Your kids aren't that young. How independent are they with their work?

Do you have to school during "traditional" hours?

When I was still homeschooling I was working two days a week at a private school. I also taught swimming 6-7 am on weekdays and for 5 hours on Saturdays. I had an arrangement for my kids to study french with a neighbor of my mom's on one of the days. On the second day dd took work to a friend's house. I took the friend on field trips and did science with her on another day. We got through serious academics, but the approach really condensed dd's social time and that was hard.

How did you advertise? Did you work in your own house?

Nicole,

I was in touch with local school guidance counselors. Any time parents needed recomendations for tutors, they would send them my way. I was pretty booked and had to turn some away.

I usually worked at a library or their home (while parents were present, I was NOT a babysitter).

Do you have any local universities or community colleges? Ours posted a job for someone to proctor upcoming SAT and ACT tests. It was only a temp position. They also had other temp positions. I would check websites for any large companies in your area (hospitals, colleges, large insurance companies). There are rarely job postings in our newspaper, but there are always lots of openings on hospital and our community college website.

Waiting tables. You would be shocked at what waiters can make. It is physically demanding work, but you take cash home with you after every shift. There is a lot of variation from restaurant to restaurant, depending on turnover and how much alcohol people drink.

Terri

Could you work at a health club opening in the morning? My local Y has some front desk people who work 5 am -9 am. The same thing at local rec centers. You don't need to be fitness instructor. People coming in at that hour are mostly just hitting the machines and free weights before work.

Waiting tables can be very good, especially if you live near a resturant that has a high turnover. Also, when I was a college kid working at McDonalds, I knew a woman who worked for the extra money. She worked morning shift so she could be home by 2 (before her kids got home). She used the money to pay for private school. Working morning or closing gets you higher pay. I hated closing, but morning is nice. Not really more work, but higher pay.

ratracerebellion.com

workathomeadventures.com

If you can find out where the people who throw your paper work from, you can show up at 1:30am and see if they are hiring. They usually are or will be very soon. Showing up is a good way to secure the job.

I worked LiveOps. Within 4 months, I was making a full time income. I started in May and in August made $2600 (which, btw, was used to save our home that year). There are other programs that pay a set amount per hour. Those may pay less many hours, but would be a guaranteed rate. I think RRR shows something like 60 call centers to work with.

How well do you type? There are several transcription services. Talk2Rep is decent if you can keep up 3 conversations at a time.

There are online tutoring places good if you are good with upper math/science.

Check CraigsList for your area for jobs as well as childcare.

To be honest, our fostercare agency also advertises for fostering as a part time income (you can't get rich really; but in many places, you could make a few extra dollars (then there are other places where no matter what you do, you'll lose money). Adult foster care is another consideration.

I'm so sorry your family is going thru this. :grouphug: There are a lot of great suggestions here. I've cleaned houses before and it is good money. Office cleaning is good, because you can work nights.

This is just a suggestion. My company is looking for people to be coordinators for a food co-op. I did it for thirteen months and I took my cut in food credit. It was a great help when my husband's work slowed down last winter. My cousin runs our group now (she loves it). And I now work for the company. I'm not sure if we deliver to your part of NJ. Here's the link- www.wholeshare.com. UrbanSue (from the WTM forums) joined up recently and loves it. This is just a suggestion. It's okay with me if this isn't your cup of tea. It just really worked out with my homeschool schedule.

I hope you find what you need. :grouphug:

Jessica

There are several companies online that hire for virtual call center type jobs. The job I just got is like that. I will get to make my own schedule (to a degree, it depends on what hours are available when it is time to post) and I can work as many hours as I want to (but no less than 15 a week). I have worked with this company before and had positive experiences.