Menu

Tarot? What is it? What is it not?

Juniper

I read a book awhile back that centered around the art in a special deck of tarot cards. It got me curious about the history and meaning of these cards. What is their purpose and how they are used?

It is when I have these types of questions that I really appreciate The Hive! :D

Thanks in advance.....for keeping this polite, kind, and informative. :p

Hmmm....I can see that being one usage. The book I was reading had none of that in it and I am reasonably sure I read a post by a fellow boardie involving "mental exercise" or something along those lines.

I guess what I am trying to get at is I think there might be more to it than I am aware of and would love to gain a bit more understanding. :D

If you want to avoid a lot of conflict in this thread, you may want to mention that you don't want this to turn into a religious debate about the occult and Satanism, because I can kind of picture it going that way before too long.

Unless that's what you wanted to know about. :D In which case, I'm putting on my tinfoil hat and will keep following this thread... quietly. ;)

I always think threads like this are cool and informative until someone starts looking for a battle.

If you want to avoid a lot of conflict in this thread, you may want to mention that you don't want this to turn into a religious debate about the occult and Satanism, because I can kind of picture it going that way before too long.

Unless that's what you wanted to know about. :D In which case, I'm putting on my tinfoil hat and will keep following this thread... quietly. ;)

I always think threads like this are cool and informative until someone starts looking for a battle.

Yes, please! Info=good. Debate might be better served elsewhere. ;)

As far as I know, Tarot cards were invented several hundred years ago in Italy. So probably by the Catholics :p It was just a card game or something to begin with and was formalised into a divination system last century. I daresay there are others here who would have a better handle on the history, (not something I care about, and I've only been reading for a few months anyway so still a beginner) but I'd be surprised if they come here and say so. ;)

They can be used for divination, but nobody who uses them for that purpose (who is over age 16, I shouldn't think) believes that what the cards reveal about the future is now carved into marble and is forever unchanging. Everyone I've heard considers such revelations to be the most likely outcome if the querent stays on their current trajectory. Say the cards tell you you're going to flunk your exams. You could choose to study so you don't. Say the cards rekon I'm going to meet Mr Wonderful in December. I could go out and throw myself at the first man I see so I have no room in my life for any Mr Wonderful, even if he does exist and was going to come by. Often predictions come true because we are creatures of habit and when we think we're being wild and unpredictable, our siblings would roll their eyes and say "Uh, that's what you always do."

They are not only used for divination either, as Wendy said. I mostly use them to get thoughts out of people's heads so they can be looked at and prodded until they can connect the dots they hadn't connected before. Kind of like mind mapping, really. So, even if you feel your religion forbids fortune-telling, there are still ways they can come in handy without flouting that directive.

Tarot cards are used not just by pagans. I'm aware of pagan, Christian, Jewish, Hindu and Muslim tarot readers. There are different ways of interpreting also. Some people stick to the structure (each card means certain kinds of things,) others read the picture on the card and others do a bit of both. Anyone can learn to read them, but how well depends on how much they know about people and practice, I guess.

Ultimately, they are bits of cardboard :p and have nothing to do with Satan unless you want them to.

They look them up in books or online to begin with. Google "tarot card meanings" and see for yourself. You also learn from people you read for as you go along. You say "this person is probably something like this" and they say "sort of, but less of that and more of this" and you find you now know a new way to view that card. I had that happen recently. I hadn't been able to think of a way a particular card could represent an older person in any positive way, but now I do know. :)

As far as I know, Tarot cards were invented several hundred years ago in Italy. So probably by the Catholics :p It was just a card game or something to begin with and was formalised into a divination system last century.

I think the divination use originated with the Victorian Spiritists. Don't quote me on that!

Don't they function *somewhat* similarly, then, to icons? Of course, the icons would be specific to focus on the Christian God. But the purpose of the icon is to *focus* the worshiper on the Divinity.

A tarot card would focus the user on their spirituality - whatever that looks like.

I recently watched a bit explaining the history of Tarot cards. I have yet to go and research it further to confirm, but this is what was explained:

During the time of the Spanish Inquisitions, Jews in Spain were concerned about the possible loss of their teachings. They developed a card game to preserve their teachings, which was transfered to the gypsy's. As the game caught on, it began to be played in the royal houses throughout Europe, tho few thus playing knew the backstory-just the game.

The tarot gave rise to our modern fifty two card deck.

Tarot cards are used not just by pagans. I'm aware of pagan, Christian, Jewish, Hindu and Muslim tarot readers. There are different ways of interpreting also. Some people stick to the structure (each card means certain kinds of things,) others read the picture on the card and others do a bit of both. Anyone can learn to read them, but how well depends on how much they know about people and practice, I guess.

I also know several New Agers who use them. They use them as a guide. It's similar to how a Christian might open the Bible or specific book of the Bible, and use whatever scripture they land on to help guide them through the day. The people I know who use Tarot cards often do that with their cards.

If I may ask, how does one learn what the cards mean?

There's a lot online. You can even print out and color your own cards. Also, most chain bookstores carry inexpensive (and also very expensive) sets that usually come with some type of book or pamphlet to help you get started.

As far as I know, Tarot cards were invented several hundred years ago in Italy. So probably by the Catholics :p It was just a card game or something to begin with and was formalised into a divination system last century. I daresay there are others here who would have a better handle on the history, (not something I care about, and I've only been reading for a few months anyway so still a beginner) but I'd be surprised if they come here and say so. ;)

They can be used for divination, but nobody who uses them for that purpose (who is over age 16, I shouldn't think) believes that what the cards reveal about the future is now carved into marble and is forever unchanging. Everyone I've heard considers such revelations to be the most likely outcome if the querent stays on their current trajectory. Say the cards tell you you're going to flunk your exams. You could choose to study so you don't. Say the cards rekon I'm going to meet Mr Wonderful in December. I could go out and throw myself at the first man I see so I have no room in my life for any Mr Wonderful, even if he does exist and was going to come by. Often predictions come true because we are creatures of habit and when we think we're being wild and unpredictable, our siblings would roll their eyes and say "Uh, that's what you always do."

They are not only used for divination either, as Wendy said. I mostly use them to get thoughts out of people's heads so they can be looked at and prodded until they can connect the dots they hadn't connected before. Kind of like mind mapping, really. So, even if you feel your religion forbids fortune-telling, there are still ways they can come in handy without flouting that directive.

Ultimately, they are bits of cardboard :p and have nothing to do with Satan unless you want them to.

LOL My Sicilian and "religious" Catholic Godmother used to whip these out at parties. My father (her younger brother) would raise holy hell at her for doing it but as soon as he left the room all the ladies who said they weren't into this stuff suddenly would plead "read me my cards".

Don't they function *somewhat* similarly, then, to icons? Of course, the icons would be specific to focus on the Christian God. But the purpose of the icon is to *focus* the worshiper on the Divinity.

A tarot card would focus the user on their spirituality - whatever that looks like.

I suppose it could if the reader wanted it to. Reading cards has nothing to do with my spirituality though.

I use them to develop characters in stories I write. :) Sometimes they help me to plot and add development to my stories.

I draw a card and consider the picture and read what the card "represents" and imagine how I might use that in a plot development. Or, sometimes I draw one or two to consider personal characteristics that my characters might have that I hadn't thought of for them before.

I had a friend do a spread for me once, and it helped me think through some challenges I was facing. It wasn't "divination" but more of a way to look at things I was facing from a different perspective.

I have one deck that I bought because it was so lovely. http://www.amazon.com/Druidcraft-Tarot-Philip-Carr-Gomm/dp/0312315023

When I was a Christian, I was afraid of Tarot. I didn't know what it was, and I believed it had demonic overtones. When I lived in France, I saw flyers posted all over for different "Tarot" groups, and I thought it was for occultic readings.

Turned out, Tarot is a super fun game in France, that doesn't even use the type of Tarot cards we're talking about here. :)

I eventually had some friends teach me how to play it, and it was a hoot.

That's all for me.

I am a professional reader. This is a fairly accurate depiction of the history of tarot.

http://www.hermetics..._history.pdf��.

A superb book for understanding the tarot meanings in the Rider Waite system is this by the lovely Rachel Pollak.

http://books.google....id=t3sBB0u8zUwC .

I have about 50 decks and read for parties, individuals and the like. They are not used for divination in a specific manner as in thi scard refers to that. It is far more a tendency of certain choices and behaviours will lead to x outcome if you continue doing what you have always done. It is one half interpretation of the person being read for, the querient, and one half several years of study and practice to recognize the connections between the cards once they are in relation to tone another their meanings can change 180 degrees or more.

My word, this will be the year of elizabeth flying her freak flag ever higher. I welcome any and all questions about tarot as a practice not about the morality of the practice as I am not interested in others opinions on that question. And yes, I am also a lawyer. A lawyer who not only writes her own briefs but scrubs toilets in the office because damnit I have standards that no one else can meet! :coolgleamA: I read on Saturday afternoons and Sunday evenings at a couple of locations and might do a Renn Faire this year. It is delightful, quite fascinating and I have done this for 32 years now. If you want to look at many different types of decks try Aeclectic tarot as they picture many decks online so you can see the wide variety available. here is the link to Aeclectic

http://www.aeclectic...c.net/tarot/��.

http://www.hermetics.org/pdf.tarot_history.pdf

I am a professional reader. This is a fairly accurate depiction of the history of tarot.

Oh, the history was quite interesting, and the Islamic cards were lovely. (I've never thought the Ryder-Waite [did I get that right?] cards were . . . very attractive.)

I think the pictures refer to archetypes that recur throughout human history in art and literature. In that sense they might be interesting academically, but I would not at all see them as comparable to icons, which are very specific.

I have a friend who reads spreads in that way. The cards represent archetypes. . . and it has something to do with Jungian psychology. . . . I don't pretend to understand it :)

A superb book for understanding the tarot meanings in the Rider Waite system is this by the lovely Rachel Pollak.

http://books.google....id=t3sBB0u8zUwC .

I have about 50 decks and read for parties, individuals and the like. They are not used for divination in a specific manner as in thi scard refers to that. It is far more a tendency of certain choices and behaviours will lead to x outcome if you continue doing what you have always done. It is one half interpretation of the person being read for, the querient, and one half several years of study and practice to recognize the connections between the cards once they are in relation to tone another their meanings can change 180 degrees or more.

My word, this will be the year of elizabeth flying her freak flag ever higher. I welcome any and all questions about tarot as a practice not about the morality of the practice as I am not interested in others opinions on that question. And yes, I am also a lawyer. A lawyer who not only writes her own briefs but scrubs toilets in the office because damnit I have standards that no one else can meet! :coolgleamA: I read on Saturday afternoons and Sunday evenings at a couple of locations and might do a Renn Faire this year. It is delightful, quite fascinating and I have done this for 32 years now. If you want to look at many different types of decks try Aeclectic tarot as they picture many decks online so you can see the wide variety available. here is the link to Aeclectic

Elizabeth, thanks for flying your freak flag!!! ;)

I cannot get the hermetics site to work for me. Actually, I could only get the google books one to load properly. I figured out the aeclectic one, but I am hitting a brick wall with the history one. :(

I have one deck that I bought because it was so lovely. http://www.amazon.co...m/dp/0312315023

That is my favourite deck ever. Actually, I like all of the decks by P. Carr-Gomm, including the oracle decks, but the Druidcraft one is the one I probably use the most for personal readings.

I prefer the Sacred Rose deck for reading for others, but most people want the "real deck" which they think is the Ryder-Waite. I find that deck quite uninspiring, but it is a very easy one to read, so... you know... whatever floats their boat, eh? My fave "fun" deck is the Cat People deck. I've only ever read for others a few times with this deck. It's a bit... unusual, and the symbolism is quirky, but it's a great deck for long-range queries.

OP, you can take the cards as seriously or as light-heartedly as you want. They are cards with symbol-loaded pictures on them. You can choose to take the symbolism in whatever way you like. They're still just paper and ink.

Elizabeth, thanks for flying your freak flag!!! ;)

I cannot get the hermetics site to work for me. Actually, I could only get the google books one to load properly. I figured out the aeclectic one, but I am hitting a brick wall with the history one. :(

Here is the hermetic link for some reason it is being obstinate. http://www.hermetics.org/pdf/tarot_history.pdf

Ryder-Waite is so ugly. I hate grim reaper death cards. :thumbdown:

I love the RW deck and especially the Grim Reaper. This is a perfect example of what makes Tarot reading such an interesting and varied practice. One likes the RW , the other, Sacred Rose , yet another prefers Druid deck. There is room for every aesthetic and interpretive style and that appeals to me as a reader and to my sense of aesthetics. I cannot say how many decks I have purchased and then they did not read well despite my love for the artwork. Several if memory serves. Here is a great new deck that will appeal to many who enjoy learning about and working with saints. http://www.holycardtarot.com/

I read, as well. Readers have different approaches, so ask ten readers how to read and you might get a couple dozen answers! Lol! I do use mine in my spiritual practice, but like a few previous posters mentioned, I've met readers of all sorts of faiths (including Christians- there is a lot of Christian imagery in the Rider-Waite-Smith decks) and readers who come from more academic places focusing on Jungian themes. I have a collection of decks as well- different artists interpret the forms and themes of the cards differently and those nuances come in handy different ways and different times. I view them as a way to seek counsel and receive guidance.

Ryder-Waite is so ugly. I hate grim reaper death cards. :thumbdown:

I took a 6 month tarot class about 10 years ago and we did the RW deck because it's universal and the sumbolism is easy as pie. But the second that class was over, every single one of us ran to get other decks. I've taken other classes since that long one but that teacher was a kick and every once in awhile I'll come upon a card in a deck and I'll HEAR her in my head saying, "Look! Look deeper! See that tiny bush in the corner??" or whatever and crack up.

Motherpeace is my main deck but I also use my Waldherr Goddess deck and I really love the my fairy deck but I get the craziest answers from that one. It always makes me laugh a day or two later.

Oh Motherpeace is amazing! That, I think, is the first deck to be produced in a shape other than standard rectangle. Here is the link for those who want to see the images. I had forgottten how lovely these were. My favorite art deck is the St Petersburg but I cannot read from it. The new trend seems to be crafting your own spreads for interpretation. Symbology is my passion thus I was destined to love reading tarot! http://www.motherpeace.com/

I'm a bit interested in goddess decks at the moment. I have no desire to read with them, but I picked up a few featuring Greek deities for a reasonably good price recently. I thought they might be fun to stick on the wall when we do SOTW next year.

Round decks are fun. I have the Oracle of the Dreamtime which is much nicer than it looks on that website. I've only done exercises in an online study group so far, I haven't read properly with them. It took me several months to read the book that comes with them. That deck really, really doesn't want to be hurried.

I have the Brian Froud Faeries deck. I can't even begin to do full readings with them, but I do love to pull them out and "play with them". There is so much going on in each card visually that they make a good meditation tool, and help me connect with the wee spirits that might be lurking in my garden. :p

We have some other decks around, but none as visually appealing to me as the Froud.

I have the Brian Froud Faeries deck. I can't even begin to do full readings with them, but I do love to pull them out and "play with them". There is so much going on in each card visually that they make a good meditation tool, and help me connect with the wee spirits that might be lurking in my garden. :p

We have some other decks around, but none as visually appealing to me as the Froud.

Brian Froud has always been one of my favorite artists for things mystical. :)

Brian Froud has always been one of my favorite artists for things mystical. :)

If you love Brian Froud, there is a book by Terri Windling called "The Wood Wife" that was based on a few of his paintings but is set in the Southwest. It is a quick read, but one I have gone back to over and over.

http://books.google.com/books/about/The_Wood_Wife.html?id=N1Zw2OxsgWgC

I spent YEARS lost in the Froud books as a child and also the Gnomes books.

That deck is a blast. You get an answer that makes ZERO sense and then 2-3 days laters WHOP! upside the head, there it is. And you can almost hear the Fae giggling off to the side. I love it but I never approach it irreverently.

I have tons of Goddess decks and oracles, Rosie. I'm a feminist witch. I have very little use for the god unless I'm working on something for my son or Green Man.

Play may not have been the right word there, you are right I do have a healthy respect for what those cards represent. But I don't do formal speads, or try to "read them". They show me plenty to think on and kick around without trying to make likely wrong connections between cards that are so intensely complicated visually and archetypically. (not sure that is a word, but it fits LOL)

I have tons of Goddess decks and oracles, Rosie.

So when are you coming out with the feminist, pagan, tarot reader's supplement for decorating SOTW? :p

I'm going to have to look up Egyptian decks for that purpose at some stage, but I had a weird Ancient Egyptian deity themed dream a while back and I'm still snooty about it. :sneaky2: