Menu

If you had to...

I've been thinking that it is not efficient to bring resources that are not efficient to use in your new environment. It's not necessary to teach all things every year.

To teach report writing is not as efficient as teaching letter writing. So I chose Understanding Writing for English, as it focuses in letter writing and tweaks other topics and subjects into letters. UW isn't based on unit studies and report writing like many other curricula.

I chose nature study over experiments. Both cover observation and documentation, but nature study will be more efficient.

Even if you have money and room to cover the traditional scope and sequence, you might find it more efficient to spend more time on some subjects and less on others. A student with good basic and similar skills will be able to efficiently rush through neglected topics not covered when you get back.

I wouldn't pack lab or report writing resources.

I'd spend extra time focusing on handwriting and neat math papers, since you will be using lots of paper instead of workbooks. I prefer the written numbers in vintage texts. They are often fatter and break at 1/3 instead of 1/2 with the top or bottom of the number being smaller than the main part. I've been having students draw lowercase letters as 1/3 tall, uppercase letters as 2/3 tall, and numbers as 1/2 tall. The bottom ball of 3, 5 and 8 is the same height as the lowercase letters, with the top being just a bit taller. The 4 and the 9 have the bottom leg shorter than the top part. When numbers are fat and 1/2 a line tall, they make nice neat math papers. I'll try and scan one soon.

I'd do a lot of work aloud, covering more than one grade level with all students, while they all listen. Have the child whose grade level is being read aloud, do a little copywork in their notebook. Only have children copy/write what will be reviewed in their notebooks. Have them study their notebooks and quiz them on what's in it. Have the children quiz each other. Reduce written work to the bare minimum and have them always do their best work.

Have you seen the movie Hanna? There are some great scenes of the dad reading a one volume encyclopedia to Hanna, and her reading a tattered Grimm's Fairy tales.

Galore Park - math, science, history, english and two foreign languages. That should all fit in one box. The other box I would fill with literature (including a good US history book.) I would wing it for art and music - no curriculum.

This is what I would do too, except that I would probably use SOTW for history and I definitely wouldn't use Galore Park history past the junior series unless you are a Brit, as it goes to UK history after that.

Laura

Science: BFSU books 1-3 (could cut the binding off and remove the repetitive pages) and a good science encyclopaedia

Maths: MEP loaded on the kindle

Writing: The writers jungle: buy the ebook, print it two pages to a page, double sided. Writing Strands 3 if you must have a program.

History: SOTW, Van Loon's History of Mankind, Fables from around the world. I'd save Kingfisher till she's older although the pictures can be helpful

General: a good general homeschooling book from your chosen philosophy for pep talks. For me it would be a Steiner early years book (my favourite is an out of print book from Sth Africa). Maybe WTM

Fun and add-ons: The Dangerous Book for Boys. I haven't seen the girls version but the boys is great. I could school for a couple of years out of it. It even covers grammar.

for the rest, including art and music, I'd just do your own thing and suck up the culture wherever you find yourselves

D

Fun and add-ons: The Dangerous Book for Boys. I haven't seen the girls version but the boys is great. I could school for a couple of years out of it. It even covers grammar.

The Dangerous Book for Boys was one I really wanted to put as #25 on the list I did. It is great, everything from knots to Morse Code to grammar. I have a girl and bought it when it first came out, we still go back to it from time to time.

K-8 can be so many things, but what it ultimately needs to be is learning to learn effectively and acquiring the skills and basic content to do so.

Math: Math Mammoth

Language Arts: PLL and ILL for grammar; spelling--R&S or How to Teach Spelling?; Yesterday's Classics for literature. Living Memory pdf for poetry if you need. Reading instruction w/ OPGTR and some readers from Yesterday's Classics?

Science: There are some choices in Yesterday's Classics. Otherwise I'm not sure? Simply Charlotte Mason has an e-book for science 106 Days of Creation. Evan Moor e-books? Is there a Kingfisher or Usborne resource that could cover a couple of years? Maybe since the other categories are lighter, we could fit in Apologia or some other companies single textbooks for grades 4-8, and for grades 1-3 just do nature study with stories from Yesterday's Classics.

History: Heritage History CDs and literature collections (some doubles with Yesterday's Classics though) SOTW and AGs

Art: Artistic Pursuits and supplies? or just a drawing book, and don't worry about more art until grade 4 and up. For art appreciation, Come Look w/ Me or Simply Charlotte Mason's portfolios? (which could be viewed on a kindle possibly)

Music: CDs, like Beethoven in Words and Music. a music history book. Do your children play instruments?

Another question--can you print worksheets? Because that would affect Math Mammoth for example or anything else that you took over on CDs or pdfs, but need to print.

I've thought about this before, since we're missionaries, but we don't have it nearly that rough, thankfully. Where are you going, if you don't mind the nosiness?

Another question--can you print worksheets? Because that would affect Math Mammoth for example or anything else that you took over on CDs or pdfs, but need to print.

I've thought about this before, since we're missionaries, but we don't have it nearly that rough, thankfully. Where are you going, if you don't mind the nosiness?

Let's assume no printing, except maybe twice a year. We're headed off the beaten path (obviously), but I'm not going to give an exact location right now, as this proposition is still somewhat precarious and I don't want to endanger it.

This is what I would do too, except that I would probably use SOTW for history and I definitely wouldn't use Galore Park history past the junior series unless you are a Brit, as it goes to UK history after that.

Laura

True, but I would still use it (and just add in a US history spine) because I think the last three history books are a very good writing program - especially the first and third books. I tried to find any other texts written by Bob Pace, as I like them so well - no luck.

True, but I would still use it (and just add in a US history spine) because I think the last three history books are a very good writing program - especially the first and third books. I tried to find any other texts written by Bob Pace, as I like them so well - no luck.

That's interesting to hear - I haven't used the books so I didn't know that.

Laura

So many great suggestions. What a fun thread.

I would definately take the Drawing Textbook for art. Small little paperback with so much to offer. For the younger years just plenty of colored pencils and paper. Have them draw what they see. For art history either Sister Wendy or Usbourne's History of art.

Someone mentioned Christian Liberty's Science Readers. They contain a wealth of information and are good graded readers--duel purpose. Paperback and relitively small--inexpensive too. Good nature study. That plus some ellen McHenry downloads would make a great core science. When added to a good science Encyclopedia.

I plan to think about this more. Right now all I can come up with for math is Professor B. Mainly because it could be adapted to many children. Imo plus through algebra lightly. I know this is not enough so need to think more.

You really need the white board.

Right now all I can come up with for math is Professor B. Mainly because it could be adapted to many children.

Professor B is the best math I know of, if even paper is limited. I think the 3 book K-8 series is about $150.00, which I think is more than the OP's budget, but maybe not for others reading this thread.

I've used PB and like using it with students, but don't enjoy my prep time with it. It's a lot of text without clear formatting. There are almost no graphics in the explanations. All the problems are in a workbook. The workbook has no explanation and the TM has not problems. I need to have both books open at the same time when studying the curriculum, or I get very confused.

I'm a very visual learner, and clear formatting and diagrams are really helpful to me. I'd adore this curriculum if it was was just formatted differently. If I were teaching students that had no student books and no paper, this would be my first choice. With plentiful paper I prefer HTT and Arithmetic Made Simple, though.

Love this thread, as we are trying to move to a more minimalist way of living but it is so sloooow going. Especially since I've been homeschooling for over 15 years and already own a ton of stuff. It's hard to let go!

If you were going the Kindle route, buying a few might be a consideration. Besides Yesterday's Classics books (which cover some history, science, good lit, etc.), you could also get the Heritage History CDs -- tons of history there, plus there is a "guide" to go along. You could skip loading the high school material.

Math:

You could download the files from MEP and print them out.

Ray's Arithmetic series from google books and download the pdfs on the Kindle or convert them into kindle files.

I have also been able to find good deals on used used Saxon math books on ebay and www.abebooks.com I think they are fairly easy to teach from the text, though you may want the answer keys. No workbooks necessary.

Language Arts:

Blend Phonics for first grade along with resources from Don Potter's site (these are all free pdfs you could print or put on the Kindle) along with Word Mastery (more free dpfs along from Don Potter, other reading resources here, Word Mastery is the vintage text MP used for their Classical Phonics program)

The Writing Road to Reading, this edition not the new edition

Primary Language Lessons and Intermediate Language Lessons free on google books, print versions avaiable for low prices

Harvey's Grammar for 7-8th grade, free to print or put the pdf on the kindle, also available to buy at reasonable prices

The Complete Writer: Writing with Ease

A handwriting program, this page from Don Potter has some suggestions

There are also plenty of vintage readers you could put onto your kindle, such as McGuffey's. Here is a free kindle version

I would read plenty of mythology along with literature. I like D'Aulaire's book for greek mythology.

Ambleside Online is free and has many great literature suggestions that are in the public domain. The ones that are not free I have been able to find used for very good prices. I would consider them a "great books" curriculum, but they are officially Charlotte Mason. I would take their booklists and start loading up my kindle.

Science:

BFSU and the other two volumes in the series go through 8th grade, available for $9.99 a piece for kindle

Science Lab in the Supermarket by Freidhoffer ($9.99 on Kindle, used in 3rd grade in Ambleside Online)

Physics Lab in the Home ($4.99 on Kindle, used in 4th grade in AO)

Physics lab in a Hardware Store, ($4.99 for kindle, used in 5th grade in AO)

Ambleside Online also has some nice living science books on their booklists that are available in the public domain. I really like the Burgess books myself for younger children, available for free or for a few dollars on Kindle. AO also has excellent poetry suggestions, they have poetry books on amazon for kindle as well.

History: some suggestions

SOTW series by SWB

Child's History of the World (not politcally correct by today's standards, may need some editing)

Story of the World by Hillyer available for free online or through kindle

A Little History of the World, available on kindle

Story of the Romans free on google or a few dollars on kindle

Story of the Greeks free on google or a few dollars on the kindle

This Country of Ours, free on kindle

George Washinton's World and other books by Genevieve Foster

Art:

How to Teach Art to Children is easy to use for grades 1-6

Drawing with Children can be used with all age groups

Music:

Let's Learn Music series is simple and easy to teach for music theory

This book with a recorder for instrument practice

This is good for basic music appreciation, comes with cd

With plentiful paper I prefer HTT and Arithmetic Made Simple, though.

I like the Arithmetic Made Simple -- I saw copies for. 01 so great value. I also looked at Ray's. I actually think I used it one year as a child. That brown cover looks very right. I loved that book. I can't figure out what HTT is. Can't find an abbrevation list that works today.

As someone who is currently packing my curriculum purchases to carry back to the UK I know how limited 2 smallish boxes really is. I have that much for the next year or two. If you have awhile to gather I would take it very slowly with essential first. Then another round of shopping.

These math charts and language arts charts have a lot of info, are durable, and easy to pack.

I like these whiteboards-- we have all four, and they have been very, very helpful to us.

This fold-able, laminated map would be nice... and an atlas.

I would also take all six volumes ( the older ed.) of What Your __ Grader Needs to Know.

I would insist upon my C-rods, along with Lab Sheet Annotations; there is a TON of teaching to do out of that book. I would probaby try to squeeze in the Miquon workbooks, too.

I really adore MEP, but if electricity/printing is an issue, I would take Singapore math HIG's, and teach using them. Spectrum math workbooks might be a decent option for math *practice* after good teaching and modeling has been done with Singapore/and or Miquon.

History--I would include Usborne Book of World History, the big Kingfisher history, and all four vol. of SOTW. And a Bible.

Science--the Usborne Science Encyclopedia, the original Magic School Bus books (not all the spin offs by other authors), and different levels of TOPS science (good science with simple things).

The Everything You Need to Know About ______ Homework series also has a surprising amount of information.

ETA:

I would use The Complete Writer for K-4, and in middle school use SWB's Literary Analysis lecture, and her Middle Grades Writing lecture. Listen many, many times and take lots of notes.

I'm also very fond of the Fourth, Fifth, and Sixth Treadwell readers--good variety of legends and poetry.

And... Phonics Pathways and Word Mastery for phonics/spelling. I also like R&S spelling for 2-6th, and Abeka spelling for 6, 7, 8.

Edited by Zoo Keeper

• 4 weeks later...

A big question I haven't seen asked yet - what type of kindle is it? If it's one with free 3G that really opens possibilities. Would be worth upgrading IMO if it is only a wi-fi version. The 3g can get used to access the net and can download just about anywhere.

I'd also be very tempted to get one of those laptops powered by hand crank. I think they run about $200 maybe less. With one of those, you could easily load up a TON of materials on thumb drives by grade, and save yourself a lot of space / weight. Plus some do have net access, allowing you to access more materials if needed.

Maybe one of those laptops and sets of SOS for each grade? Wouldn't take up much space, and not as heavy either. I'm assuming weight is going to be a factor as well because you'll have to carry everything you need in with you.

Honestly I'd rather use something not 100% as great like SOS that is very lightweight & compact, and devote the saved space to things like medicine & other needs. Assuming you'll be returning after 8th grade, it would be easy to catch up on anything missed then education-wise.

Probably over the price limit, but here's what I was thinking....

Spalding 6th edition and Webster's speller for reading and spelling

First Language Lessons 1/2 old edition and selected volumes of Rod and Staff grammar

Writing with Skill and brush up on writing techniques before you go

Singapore math 1-6 (instructors, text, and workbook)

CLE 1-6 math

a prealgebra and algebra 1 book (would have to think)

a box of c-rods, dice, cards, and a RS abacus

SOTW 1-4 and activity guides

History of US by Hakim

DK's First science encyclopedias (Animal, Plant, Nature, Earth, Space, Human Body, etc)

Kingfisher's History, Science, and Geography encyclopedias

some good maps and tracing paper - maybe a geography puzzle

Egermiers Bible story book

a good drawing textbook and art materials

Galore Park Latin Prep and So You Want to Learn Latin if that's a concern; I would be more oriented towards learning local language, however

My biggest concern would be getting enough books. I'd try to load up a kindle and mp3 player if solar chargers were possible. I would want to have both classic books and if at all possible a good supply of fun books and picture books, collections of fairy and folk tales, poetry, etc. Not sure if that's possible, but that would be my biggest concern. I'd want a good supply of both books for a child to read (including more fun books) and books to be read aloud or listented to.

Math: miguon lab annotation (1st-3rd),Key to series decimals, fractions, percents, algebra ( but just buy the answer guides which are the workbooks pages with the answers. I think there are 6-8 pages per page) A good algebra book? I don't know much here. A used Lial's into algebra maybe. I wouldn't bring rods just use strips of colored paper as rods. printed rulers. Use household geared clock and reset when done.

Language Arts: alphaphonics recopied 4-6 pages per page, strunk and white, first language lessons (1/2 in one book). Use alphaphonics orally, copywork, then dictation. Use first language lessons, orally, copywork, then dictation. Then use whatever children's anthologies I had.

Science: I agree with PP becoming keen observers and scientific method would be top priorities. I've used 2 of these. The method of teaching could be applied anywhere. http://www.cornersto...nce/Science.htm

History: Famous men Series, or George Washingtons' World Series

Art: Childsize masterpieces- post card study. largest set of prang color pencils I could afford/fit

Music: plastic recorders, book of songs copied with 4-6 pages per page. cheap, ancient, listening guide to symphonies/ major classical composers and those works on a CD.

First, I would purchase the Yesterday's Classics collection. I bought this collection for my Kindle when it was on sale for $50. I believe it's $99 right now. Since purchasing, I've used it extensively with our history, grammar, poetry, and will be using it with science next year. This collection contains 225 ebooks or Kindle books (you can get either or both for the one price) encompassing:

• 9 World History books (including all of M.B. Synge's books);
  • 6 Children of the World Books;
  • 27 Nature books (which can be used for Science);
  • 30 Ancient Greece books;
  • 5 Fable books;
  • 18 books on Ancient Rome;
  • 14 Kindergarten books;
  • 12 Fairytale books;
  • 8 books on Britain;
  • 2 books of Shakespeare's works;
  • 10 books on Faith and the Saints;
  • 4 books on Early Civilizations;
  • 4 books of Poetry;
  • 18 books on the Middle Ages;
  • 14 books of legends (inc: Beowulf, Robin Hood & King Arthur);
  • 8 books on the Renaissance & Exploration;
  • 7 Science books (inc: Chemistry & inventors/inventions);
  • 4 Readers for early childhood;
  • 18 books of American History;
  • 6 Christmas storybooks;
  • 6 Literature books (inc: Grammarland, Robinson Crusoe, Don Quixote);
  • 10 biographies of famous historical people

Math: This is a tough one as any one curriculum is going to take up a lot of room. I, personally, am using Horizon's and my dd does quite well with it because she needs a spiral math. However, Life of Fred may be a better option because you can purchase it in packages of grades 1-4 and 5-12.

Language Arts:

• Grammar: IEW Fix-It Grammar; Introductory Lessons in English Grammar (ebook/Kindle for lower elementary); Advanced Lessons in English Grammar (ebook/Kindle for upper elementary); The Word Snoop; Merriam Webster's Guide to Punctuation & Style
  • Spelling: How To Teach Spelling with the 4 slim workbooks (grades 1-12); Dictionary, Thesarus
  • Writing: IEW program using Theme-based writing products
  • Poetry: MP Poetry for the Grammar Stage (grades 3-6); then MP Poetry Anthologies (7th gr. book & book II with TMs)

History: latest Kingfisher History Encyclopedia (use in conjunction with Kindle Yesterday's Classic Books collection)

Science: latest Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia (use in conjunction with Kindle Yesterday's Classic Books collection)

Art: Artistic Pursuits (secular) or God & The History of Art (includes art lessons)

Music: Music Masters CD Package; Listen to Learn; Essentials of Music Theory (PK-Adult)

Since the majority of these choices are Kindle/ebooks, you should have plenty of room in your 2 boxes.

This was kinda fun!

This is similar to what I was going to say. I would find a friend that would help you download tons of digital materials and send them to you on flash drives. Can't imagine life without a printer, toner and paper, though.

A big question I haven't seen asked yet - what type of kindle is it? If it's one with free 3G that really opens possibilities. Would be worth upgrading IMO if it is only a wi-fi version. The 3g can get used to access the net and can download just about anywhere.

I'd also be very tempted to get one of those laptops powered by hand crank. I think they run about $200 maybe less. With one of those, you could easily load up a TON of materials on thumb drives by grade, and save yourself a lot of space / weight. Plus some do have net access, allowing you to access more materials if needed.

Maybe one of those laptops and sets of SOS for each grade? Wouldn't take up much space, and not as heavy either. I'm assuming weight is going to be a factor as well because you'll have to carry everything you need in with you.

Honestly I'd rather use something not 100% as great like SOS that is very lightweight & compact, and devote the saved space to things like medicine & other needs. Assuming you'll be returning after 8th grade, it would be easy to catch up on anything missed then education-wise.

I would include one of the game sets like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Wooden-Variety-Game-Set-backgammon/dp/B004GGMPDO/ref=pd_sim_sbs_t_7

It includes dice, playing cards, dominoes, chess and checkers pieces that can be used as manipulatives, etc. It would be good for math practice and for family entertainment. I'd add an extra deck of cards, set of Math Dice and Story Cubes - my kids like these for coming up with silly and creative story starters. I might also bring a few travel sized games like Scrabble or Bananagrams, a book of card games, tangrams like Tangoes, etc. I have kids who learn through playing and I'd want to include as many open ended games as possible. Also, we use our Al Abacus almost daily.

This is what I would do:

Math: Ray's Arithmetic set (these are small books)

Language Arts: Phonics Pathways & Harvey's Grammar & Composition (small)

Science:

The Complete Book of Science, Grades 1-2

The Complete Book of Science, Grades 3-4

The Complete Book of Science, Grades 5-6

I am not sure what for junior high.

History: Bible

Picturesque Tale of Progress Vol. 1-8

The Complete Book of American History

If they would fit, I would take the H.A. Guerber Histories too.

Art:

Picture Study Portfolios by SCM (These are very flat.) I would have my kids do picture study then try to recreate the art art piece themselves.

That would completely fill the boxes. It might be too much too.