Menu

If you had to...

prepare to home school your child 1st thru 8th grade with minimal resources what would you buy? By minimal resources I mean limited to two boxes of books, no internet, no library. Please cover the main topics and keep costs to a low amount (say a few hundred).

Math:

Language Arts:

Science:

History:

Art:

Music:

ETA: To answer a few questions - Assume paper and pencils can be re purchased each year. No cable tv, no netflix, no amazon prime - dvds you own (or would purchase are fine). Literally, two boxes for everything 1st thru 8th with no options to purchase more, think minimalist to the extreme, but wanting a strong education. For me - literature is easy, history is medium, it's the rest I'm having a hard time filling in.

ETA2: Assume a Kindle with solar recharger. No need to list literature, but go ahead and list history and science that you would put on the kindle.

I would get a set of McGuffey readers. You can cover spelling, vocabulary, reading, dictation, and some grammar with those. If you had that and a grammar handbook, you could do a lot with that.

A couple lit anthology. I have The World Treasury of Children's Literature 1 and 2. They are great! Poetry, stories, fables. You probably want a couple more with somerhibg for an older student.

CHOW and either Kingfisher or Usborne history Encyclopedia.

I don't know what I would pick for Math and Science....

prepare to home school your child 1st thru 8th grade with minimal resources what would you buy? By minimal resources I mean limited to two boxes of books, no internet, no library. Please cover the main topics and keep costs to a low amount (say a few hundred).

Do I get to count all the books we already have without adding them to the budget? I already have a ton of classics from my oldest and my time in school. How about access to television/DVDs?

Math: Math Mammoth (I bought all 6 years for $65), and an Algebra textbook. I already have a textbook for a freshman level College Math class that covers some Algebra, some Trig, some Logic, among other things. I could probably bring it down to the level of a 7th or 8th grader.

Language Arts: Brave Writer - The Writer's Jungle, Jot It Down. As many books as I could afford, especially "Complete Works of...."

Science: a couple of good experiment books, and general supplies for experiments. As many books as I could afford, maybe a good science encyclopedia. Supplement with television and dvds.

History: all four SOTW, as many books as I could afford.

Art: membership to an art museum, general art supplies, as many books as I could afford. I really like the "Come Look with Me" books.

Music: we already have a pretty extensive CD collection that includes a very wide variety of music including classical. Tickets to performances, simple books on how to read music, lessons if the money was there.

Miquon Math and C rods, an abacus, TOPS science, FLL, Bravewriter, KISS Grammar, How to Teach Spelling, OPGTTR (depending on reading level of youngest kids), art supplies, dry erase board with markers or chalk board with chalk, map of the world and US map, field guides for animals, plants and birds of my location, astronomy chart & book, assorted fiction&nonfiction books

Not sure about music, a piano wouldn't fit.

An mp3 player full of music and books (if that's within the "rules")

Kingfisher science and history encyclopedias, Bible, R&S math (start at 3rd, before that all concepts can be taught without a book) OR LoF, Artpacs for drawing instruction, if you want real art you are going to need more than just some boxes of books, McGuffy's readers, and then stuff every spare space in those boxes with classic to read over and over. And handbook of nature study.

Get all your narrating, copywork, dictation, outlining and reports from the kingfisher books. Use the handbook of nature study to do lifesciences. McGuffy's readers for reading, spelling etc. Math you could dot he entire LoF elementary and intermediate levels, plus fractions, decimals/percents. OR teach number sense, addition/substraction, time and money without any program for grade 1-2 and then start with R&S in 3rd and carry through the 8th grade level. For music I would simply sing especially folk songs and hymns, R&S has a cd and matching hymnal for good price taht would work, I would get cd's from the $store of the great composers(actually I already did that lol, so we listen to bach, beethoven, mozart etc and each cd was $1.25 good value). Also access free places to listen to music like concerts in the park, street festivals, stop to listen to the buskers etc

If you were going to have access to books my first thought was Konos because it covers 2.5-3 years per volume and then you only need to add math and La. Or if you could have 2 boxes per year I would do Sonlight full core(used to save money) and then sell in summer and buy the next level for fall.

To answer a few questions - Assume paper and pencils can be re purchased each year. No cable tv, no netflix, no amazon prime - dvds you own (or would purchase are fine). Literally, two boxes for everything 1st thru 8th with no options to purchase more, think minimalist to the extreme, but wanting a strong education. For me - literature is easy, history is medium, it's the rest I'm having a hard time filling in.

I am going to assume no computer, although frankly having a small notebook with a DVD drive would be a bonus

1. A very good unabridged collegiate dictionary

2. A magnifying glass

3. A scientific calculator

4. A good quality drafting set

5. Graph paper (200 sheets)

6. 2 pyrex measuring cups (3 cup size, 1 cup size)

7. 8 Blank unlined journals with at least 100 pages each (twice that if room allowed)

8. A Bible

9. A field guide to plants

10. A field guide to birds

11. Measuring spoons set

12. Aesops Fables

13. A recorder with a basic music book

14. A set of nylon and a set of natural hair paint brushes

15. Warriners Grammar

16. Jacob's Algebra and Geometry

17. A set of Encyclopedias

18. Dry pigment

19. Sharpie Markers

20. Scissors

21. A compass

22. A Swiss Army knife

23. A laminated world map

24. Binoculars

25. reserved for particulars to the area

I am assuming basic tools would be available (shovel, hammer, axe...if not those plus rope)

The first thing I would add beyond this would be a camera, but if no computer....

Without more information about the destination and existing resources it is hard to be precise. But, if I were so limited that I would not be able to restock (replace batteries).....it would make a difference.

My approach would be to know where we plan to pick up in our studies upon returning and to work backwards. A set of encyclopedias will take you a long way in covering a strong K-8 program. For the sciences, it would be all about being in the world and exploring how it works.

Math: Strayor Upton (3 book series that covers 3-8, NO TM needed) for 1&2nd Liberty Math

Language Arts: Primary Language Lessons, Intermediate Language Lessons (covers 2-6, NO TM needed) Phonics Pathways for phonics and possibly spelling if needed.

Science:

History: CHOW, Our Island Story, Not sure about American

Art:

Music:

If having an e-reader is an option I would go to Yesterday's Classics and buy their whole line when it goes on sale. Of course you would have to have access to the net long enough to load the reader and a back up thumb drive. This would cover some science, a whole lot of history. I can't even begin to start with literature for that many years. I would be totally at a lose of what to eliminate.

If I absolutely had to, I could educate K-8 with the following:

Journeys through Bookland (including guide, excellent teaching resource)

How to Teach Spelling TM, a college grammar book like Warriner's English Grammar and Composition, and something like Norton's Field Guide to Writing

Hands on Equations, Horizons K-6 (some text for pre-alg......probably would just go ahead and get Horizons' new pre-alg text), Foerster's alg

As many Landmark, Horizons-Caravel, Signature biography series, etc that I could collect + CHOW

Sister Wendy's Story of Painting + 1 how to draw book

One of the classical composers CD sets

Science is where I would struggle the most. Probably The Way Things Work, The Way We Work, field guides, some basic books on electricity and materials for eletricity projects, as well simple chemistry and chemistry projects that could be done with purchaseable materials

ATTN: this is a work in progress and constantly being edited.

The original early 1990s hardcover Doubleday What Your _ Grader Needs to Know series (not the current revised series).

Arithmetic Made Simple. All editions are almost identical despite the covers appearing to be written by different authors. My favorite edition is the black cover 1988 Doubleday edition. Strayer-Upton series as a supplement.

The handwriting pages photocopied out of a library copy of Writing Road to Reading 6th edition for cursive and lowercase manuscript. Simply Charlotte Mason Delightful Handwriting ZB uppercase manuscript instructions and general advice on expectations.

McGuffey's orange and blue eclectic readers.

How to Tutor (all 3Rs) , Alpha-Phonics and First Readers Anthology . Don Potter has free resources. Phonograms and flashcards.

Understanding Writing. A couple English writing handbooks. Also download the Free TM + 2 lessons and Introductions and conclusions from Write On!

An American Heritage Dictionary to match the Don Potter Phonograms. A thesaurus. An atlas.

Columbia Encyclopedia is a large one volume encyclopedia. The reading level is too high for children, but it's a great teacher reference.

Photocopies of the Detective Worksheets from a borrowed copy of Considering God's Creation. I'd focus on observation, description and drawing of nature rather than identification. I wouldn't bring the Northern and Western focused Handbook of Nature Study; field guides are bulk and expense I wouldn't choose.

Using Color in Your Art can be adapted to be used with crayons. Drawing Textbook is a pamphlet that makes it easy to teach drawing in bite sized 10 minute lessons. Draw Squad provides more explicit instructions for Drawing Textbook if you can fit it in. Draw Write Now isn't cheap, but I love it especially for the map drawing and geography lessons, and I use it for so many other subjects as well. Photocopy the facial expression pages from a library copy of Ed Emberley Funprint; these complement the figure drawing lessons in DWN. Let's Draw Happy People also complements the figure drawing in DWN and provides hair and clothing styles. Print out the crayon painting lessons in the free vintage Augsburg Drawing.

Jumbo Book of Music

NLT Life Application Bible, can stand alone without any resource books, and is at a low enough reading level to be used with the Understanding Writing assignments.

TWTM 1st edition.

You might like reading this book about Amish education.

Are you actually going to do this? Do you have electricity where you are going? Being able to take a kindle and a laptop or something would make all the difference.

We are potentially doing this, we will not have electricity for part of the time. I am not completely sure how long, so I am assuming no electricity, and if / when we have electricity again then I can add in things, although even with electricity I have to plan on no internet.

Math: Kitchen Table Math, Cuisinaire Rods, Base Ten Set, Pattern Blocks, a good algebra book (we aren't that far so I have no rec.)

Science: Handbook of Nature Study, a few field guides, perhaps the RSO series

History: SOTW and AG 1-4, Kingfisher or Usborne History Encyclopedia

Language Arts: McGuffey Readers, Blue Book of Grammar, dictionary, thesaurus

A cheap Kindle loaded with the Yesterday's Classics set and as many free classics as I can find

Personal size whiteboard, lined on one size and plenty of dry erase markers.

I'd most definitely pack an iPad into one of those boxes! Then I'd fill it with vintage books and pdfs and apps and such. You wouldn't need the internet to use them. Then if the iPad could occasionally be taken to a place that has wifi, you could download new things, even if it was just once a year.

(I don't mean that I'd have ONLY the iPad, but it would be very valuable in that situation.

ETA: It would need to be charged, though.)

We are potentially doing this, we will not have electricity for part of the time. I am not completely sure how long, so I am assuming no electricity, and if / when we have electricity again then I can add in things, although even with electricity I have to plan on no internet.

Are an eInk kindle and a solar charger possible? The kindle would last awhile, and take less room to pack.

ETA: I'd prefer my loaded iPad, but for straight lit reading I would load the kindle up.

How rugged of an environment would you be looking at?

Are an eInk kindle and a solar charger possible? The kindle would last awhile, and take less room to pack.

ETA: I'd prefer my loaded iPad, but for straight lit reading I would load the kindle up.

How rugged of an environment would you be looking at?

I don't know if we'll have room for a solar charger. I need to prep for fairly rugged - structure with a dirt floor or house type structure but with no running water or electricity. No way to ship packages in.

I don't know if we'll have room for a solar charger. I need to prep for fairly rugged - structure with a dirt floor or house type structure but with no running water or electricity. No way to ship packages in.

The one to do the kindle would be fairly small - certainly smaller than a book in the box. It would take all day to charge, but it would last a month or so.

There is then also this.... http://www.biolitest...rview/features/

And their other variants with power that might be something you can make room for too.

Here is one kindle one: http://gizmodo.com/5874024/solarkindle-cover-frees-your-ereader-from-charging-cables-for-three-months

So no electricity at all (at least at first)? That means no ipad, no kindle or ereader, no computer, no dvds or dvd player, etc. Is money a concern when choosing materials or just space? How big are the boxes?

Just curious :)

Money is somewhat a concern, a few hundred dollars. Let's call the boxes the size of a box of paper each.

OK, lets add in a Kindle, I will assume I can power it through solar. No need to list all the free lit books, as there are a lot, but what about History and Science books on the Kindle?

:D I think the kindle is the best "electronics" to attempt.

Now, I shall be waiting to hear the suggestions because I have the potential need for them myself! Except I anticipate having power, but i'm open to off-grid - and I would need higher than 8th.

I was thinking "book box" size, would would be slightly larger than a paper box (taller). But that is a good analogy.

I'd be apt to put my ScanSnap scanner to work scanning some of the books I have if I couldn't replace them with eBooks. I do this with most of my stuff that I don't plan to sell anyway.

I did order the math book Hunter posted, it was cheap enough to have on hand.

I have been looking at ALL my choices with the downsize in mind.

Sassafrass science is ebook, but that covers one year of zoology, Human Body is supposed to be out this year.

Anyway, :bigear:

Having the Kindle will open some opportunities to you, but...I would not rely on that too heavily if conditions will be rough. Humidity and such will take a toll on electronics rather quickly and inconsistent power/charges can be havok on your battery.

If you are truely in this situation for 8 years, you need durable, flexible use items. The only reason I even felt ok about a scientific calc on the list is that they are available with solar and I have had some last me at least a decade.

You have to think like a pioneer, an Abe Lincoln type education (but with some nifty upgrades like Pyrex and stainless steel).

Ooooo! Fun Challenge!

So many good suggestions... but here is how I would do the math. Don't pack manipulatives - you can do all the same things with spoons or rocks.

Bring a lap-size whiteboard and markers or a chalkboard and chalk.

Math: Kitchen Table Math (books 1&2 for sure, maybe 3) then use Saxon 5/4, 6/5, and 8/7. With the white/chalk board, you can use these same books for multiple kids.

If I were really doing this, I would go with the previous ideas - Mcguffy readers, a Norton Anthology or two, and the two Kingfisher books (history and science). If I had a little room in the box, I would bring Stories and Poems for intelligent children. Loading up a Kindle with every free book you can find would not be a bad idea.

Handbook of Nature Study

http://www.amazon.com/HANDBOOK-NATURE-STUDY-Botsford-Comstock/dp/0857926187/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362962622&sr=8-1&keywords=handbook+of+nature+study

Student Atlas of the World

http://www.amazon.com/National-Geographic-Student-Atlas-Quality/dp/1426304463/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1362962736&sr=1-1&keywords=student+atlas

Markable foldable map (like the one SL sells)

Science Encyclopedia

http://www.amazon.com/Kingfisher-Science-Encyclopedia-3rd/dp/0753466880/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1362962762&sr=1-1&keywords=science+encyclopedia

History Encyclopedia

http://www.amazon.com/Kingfisher-History-Encyclopedia-3rd/dp/0753468751/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1362962850&sr=1-1&keywords=history+encyclopedia

Dictionary and Thesaurus

Children's Book Treasury (for picture books)

http://www.amazon.com/20th-Century-Childrens-Book-Treasury-Picture/dp/0679886478/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1362962960&sr=1-1&keywords=children%27s+treasury+of+stories

Good Early Elementary Controlled Readers

Math

Kitchen Table Math (books 1, 2, & 3) then use Saxon 5/4, 6/5, and 8/7)

The Well Trained Mind

First Language Lessons (younger language arts)

Our Mother Tongue (upper grammar)

If you have room:

All volumes of either: Mystery of History or Story of the World

Stories and Poems for Intelligent Children

Since you are thinking no electricity and dirt floor, is the weight of books getting there and storing them once you are there going to be an issue?

I personally would NOT count on a kindle or Ipad, etc. What if there is a glitch or a cracked screen? You are not going to be able to easily download or reboot or find repairs. Anything computer related w/o any possibility of repair seems unrealistic.

Journeys through Bookland has readings from simple ages to higher grades. It is definitely something I would take b/c of the quality of the literature contained. This looks like a quality complete set: http://www.greyparrotgallery.com/pages/books/JUV00133/charles-h-sylvester/journeys-through-bookland-10-vol

The old Book of Knowledge series were full of science, history, literature, poetry, geography.......they were wonderful. The issue with them is that the science and geography are outdated and the history is obviously restricted to no modern history. I have never seen the new Book of Knowledge books. I wonder if they are comparable? Anyone know? There are a couple of nice newer sets:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-NEW-BOOK-OF-KNOWLEDGE-ENCYCLOPEDIA-FULL-SET-OF-21-GROLIER-A-Z-FIVE-ANNUALS-/400430522186?pt=US_Childrens_Books&hash=item5d3b84df4a

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-New-Book-of-Knowledge-Encyclopedia-23-Volume-Set-1990-Includes-Dictionary-/200903120578?pt=US_Texbook_Education&hash=item2ec6c256c2

If they are comparable to the old sets in terms of quality of contents, there would be enough contained for K-8 education.

Those 2 sets and math might make it doable with some grammar/spelling/comp books (for grammar and comp I would go with texts that teach you and then you teach the kids)

You said you have a literature plan so I didn't list upper grade literature. I am curious.....what is that plan?

I have a few anthologies already that will work for upper grade literature. Due to my own background, that is an area that I am very confident. It's the rest (especially math and science) that I am most worried about, and more input on history is always helpful.

What are good elementary controlled readers?

We only use controlled readers until basic decoding is achieved. Sing, Spell, Read, Write has 17 controlled readers that by the 17th reader students are on about an avg. 3rd grade reading level.....definitely solid enough to start reading. You could achieve something similar by simply writing simple stories for basic 3-4 letter words yourself and start adding in sentences with more difficult phonograms. BUT.....if you don't know how to teach reading, a basic book on phonics would be a good idea. (I don't know that I would suggest SSRW for what you need, but perhaps one of the single books like the Ordinary Parents Teacher Guide to Reading.)

Handbook of Nature Study

http://www.amazon.co...of nature study

Is there a difference between the $31 version you linked, and the $19 one? (except while the description is the same, the $19 version says it is only 700 pages).

Also, which version of the WTM would anyone suggest? I actually need to repurchase it because I loaned mine to a lady at gymnastics and never got it back. I was thinking the 2nd version because it sounds like the 3rd version has more reliance on using FLL and WWE?

The old Book of Knowledge series were full of science, history, literature, poetry, geography.......they were wonderful. The issue with them is that the science and geography are outdated and the history is obviously restricted to no modern history. I have never seen the new Book of Knowledge books. I wonder if they are comparable? Anyone know?

I was curious, so I searched for some answers. The answer is no, they are not comparable. These links offer some info: http://www.hstreasures.com/bookofknowledge.html

http://www.collectorsquest.com/blog/2008/09/11/the-book-of-knowledge/

I have a set from the early 20s and the contents are phenomenal. They would cover more than enough about artists, composers, poetry, and pre-their publication date history. They weigh a ton, though!

You could achieve something similar by simply writing simple stories for basic 3-4 letter words yourself and start adding in sentences with more difficult phonograms.

This is what I was thinking, you will have to be creative. Lots of readers for the early years will fill your box and suddenly you have five years to go and nothing to work with for those years.

If you can connect with homeschoolers who have lived on a boat for an extended period it will help a great deal with gaining a real sense of limited space and special conditions.

Yes, great thread!

Math - Strayer Upton three-book set

Grammar - Painless Grammar

Writing - Understanding Writing (good to find used)

Penmanship - SmithHand- only one book each for manuscript and cursive

Literature - a lit anthology such as My Book House or others mentioned upthread, also a few favorite classics

Spelling - I would just use dictation from the other books

If you need reading instruction - The Reading Lesson

History - CHOW, history encylopedia and The Complete Book of U.S. History. Maybe a geography book.

Science - set of Magic School Bus paperbacks, a science encylopedia, How to Think Like a Scientist, maybe a nature identifier for the area

Art - Usborne Book of Famous Paintings and a how-to-draw book

Music - If you have a way of playing CD's, a set like Classical Kids or the Story of Classical Music. Also a recorder and instruction book.

A Bible, Dictionary, Thesaurus, and Atlas

Is there a difference between the $31 version you linked, and the $19 one? (except while the description is the same, the $19 version says it is only 700 pages).

Also, which version of the WTM would anyone suggest? I actually need to repurchase it because I loaned mine to a lady at gymnastics and never got it back. I was thinking the 2nd version because it sounds like the 3rd version has more reliance on using FLL and WWE?

I couldn't actually find my copy on amazon. This is the one I have...

http://www.christianbook.com/handbook-of-nature-study/anna-comstock/9780801493843/pd/93846?en=google-pla&kw=homeschool-0-20&p=1167941&gclid=CKjX197R87UCFQ7znAodTnYA5Q

I had the older version of WTM and now I have the newest one but I am just now beginning it. I am really not sure of the differences.

Here's mine and it is the least I could get away with.

Math: HIG's for singapore 1-5. Skip 6 cause it's review. You would have to make your own practice problems, but it would save room. LoF for pre-algebra and algebra. A shoebox full of c rods. There are smaller math books, but I wouldn't want to give up a good program for math. Singapore isn't the only good one, just my favorite.

English: I would actually bring FLL 1 and 2 and repeat them. I would also bring wws 1. I would bring a comprehensive list of latin and greek roots. This would be my spelling and vocabulary study.

History: Kingfisher Encyclopedia and a map. If I had the room and money I would bring a paperback copy of sotw 1-4.

Science: kingfisher or usborne science encyclopedia. If you are on a boat, I would suggest a sea scout manual maybe? Could be cool. Even a boyscout manual would be good (regardless of how you feel about scouts, survival training for boys and girls would be awesome).

Art: either drawing with children by Mona Brooks or Mark Kistler's draw squad.

Music: I would bring a few classical compilations though I don't have any recs

I thought about this a lot when Hunter posted a similar thread awhile back. My plan is arranged in tiers.

MEAT:

Bible

Hymnal

Ray's Arithmetic set

Grammar handbook

Student dictionary

Student thesaurus

Student atlas

My Father's World geography game

World Map

A Child's History of the World

POTATOES:

Atelier Art prints - 3 levels

Pooh's Library box set

The Chronicles of Narnia box set

Beautiful Feet E.A. History Primary Literature Pack

Draw and Write Through History set

Window on the World

Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia

VEGGIES:

Cuisenaire rods

Apologia Astronomy

Christian Liberty Press Nature Readers Set

English from the Roots Up cards

A Child's Garden of Verses

Pilgrim's Progress

The Hobbit

The Lord of the Rings

DK Children's Encyclopedia of American History

DK History of the World

BREAD:

Pair of dice

My Father's World ABC cards

Phonics Pathways

Cursive chart

Primary Language Lessons

Intermediate Language Lessons

The Aesop for Children

D'Aulaire's Greek Myths

E.B. White box set

The Little House on the Prairie box set

BUTTER:

Little clock with gears

100 Chart

100 popsicle sticks

Bag of dried beans

Apologia Anatomy & Physiology

The Story of the Orchestra

Writing handbook

Drawing with Children

What Your __ Grader Needs to Know set

I'm still working on my list, but am just on cell phone right now.

I'd track down a 1st edition TWTM. That is what I use. The binding of this book breaks almost instantly, but I strongly prefer the pre-Peacehill instructions.

The old What Your Grader Needs to Know is a concise but fairly complete Social Studies and Science.

Instead of Nature Handbook and field guides, I'd just bring photocopies of the detective sheets in Considering God's Creation. Use them as reference for nature journaling. Focus on learning to describe things instead of naming them.

I would not be dependent on the Kindle. I would only use it for literature and extras.

unless you are planning on taking WWE et al I would go for the first edition if you can. I would love a copy as I have the third.if anyone has the second ed does it have less peace hill stuff (I can buy a kindle copy if so). You could take a kindle just in case but don't rely on it.

A bible

A complete Shakespeare

Your maths programme

I think I would take my 10 book kingfisher encyclopedia set - they are not that bulky and they have heaps in them I could use for several subjects and maybe CHOLL or SOTW for a sequence if there was room at the end.

the text for WWE

other than that no idea

Eta. Some way of keeping the books dry, clean and insect free.

unless you are planning on taking WWE et al I would go for the first edition if you can. I would love a copy as I have the third.if anyone has the second ed does it have less peace hill stuff (I can buy a kindle copy if so). You could take a kindle just in case but don't rely on it.

The only stuff that had been written when the 2nd edition came out was SOTW and i think OPGTR. So yes, less.... I think i had read the first version from the library, then bought the second. I think I will go ahead and by the kindle version of the 2nd, then try to track down version 1.

ETA: Amazon has a bunch of used 1st editions, so I snagged one cheaper than the kindle 2nd.

I love this thread by the way. I like to think of myself as a minimalist and I am in most areas. I tend to have a difficult time keeping home school minimalistic though. It is my vice. This whole 2 box idea is so thought provoking!

I love it too, and while my circumstances if they ever happen would probably not be as extreme - I really would like to be able to school with a shelf. We were talking about it the other night - the question was, "what about your books? You can't take them with you!"

As for the kindle, i'd plan on a 1-2 year life with it in thinking about it more (going to depend on the climate and all that). Load it up with the readers for the younger levels that would take a lot of rooms. Take the classic series from a few posts up, and still load it up and hope for a long life. That way the bulk of your space isn't taken by books that won't carry you thru.

I could probably take pictures of some of the books in a book box if it would help! LOL!!!

But, thank you everyone for your thoughts - hopefully the OP is getting what she needs, I know that I am getting a lot out of it! Although, I'm thinking i'm the only person that doesn't own CHOW.

But, thank you everyone for your thoughts - hopefully the OP is getting what she needs, I know that I am getting a lot out of it! Although, I'm thinking i'm the only person that doesn't own CHOW.

Oh, oh....I don't own CHOW. I did buy it once and resold it. I just didn't love it :)

Thank you for the input, this is definitely food for thought. I just snagged a first edition of WTM, and will be working on compiling my list. I think it might be easier for me to figure this out than for my husband to figure out his tools... can't take all of them with (can't even take most of them with).

Oh for sure - you have the "easy" job compared to the tool end of things! My ex got all the tools so I'm good there too....

I'd throw our Brock Microscope in the box too. Rugged, durable and requires no power. We already own it, and it doesn't take up much space really.

I hope you post back with the list - and the lit side of things still scares me... so do share that at some point!