Menu

In light of the economy, I think we need to have this focused thread on feeding families.

FaithManor

We've had the general, "How do I batten down the hatches?" talk and it included ideas for feeding families cheaply without sacrificing good nutrition. However, the problem with this is that grocery prices vary so much from one region to another that what might be a very economical recipe for one family is ridiculously priced for another.

So, I'd like to see us devote this thread to favorite, economical for you, recipes that are high in nutrition and filling for growing children, but list what it costs you (approximately) to make it AND the region or state in which you live. This way boardies can compare and contrast these recipes with food costs in their areas and print off the ones that make the most sense for them.

I'll start - I just fed the boys a "skillet" lunch. This consisted of one very large yukon gold potato washed, cubed, and diced with skins on (organic potatoes purchased from Meijer in Michigan so I paid about $3.97 for a bag that contained 15 rather large spuds...this is a primary use of my potatoes.) That is 26 cents for the potato, but if I bought conventionally grown, it would be half that price.

In an iron skillet (also HIGHLY recommend you do a lot of cooking in an iron skillet if you are going to have to restrict sources of iron, remembering that as a general rule, you absorb less than half the available iron in "green" sources due to it being flushed out with the high fiber content of said cruciferous veggie, but iron leaches nicely into the food as it is cooked and it's a fairly absorbable form...every bit as useful as most over the counter iron supplements according to my endocrinologist), I put a generous tablespoon of butter and tsp of coconut oil. I browned a very small amount of finely chopped spinach, some finely diced red pepper, and the potatoes together, oh and about two or three portabella mushrooms (baby ports were purchased from Meijer, organic again, for $2.50 per package and there are usually 15 mushrooms so roughly 17 cents each or 34 cents for the shrooms in the mix). Once browned, I turned the heat down and added four farm fresh eggs - heavily whisked - and scrambled it all togther. Just before removing from the pan, I added 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese. Our local grocery routinely sells mild cheddar or mozzarella for $2.00 an 8 oz. bag or I can buy it from the Mennonite Bulk Food Store in 5 lb bags for $13.99 which is an absolutely excellent price! Let's see that makes the cheese 67 cents give or take.

The red pepper is practically non-existent. I purchased 18 red peppers at the height of harvest season for 3/$1.00 at the Amish Farmer's Market. I dehydrated the lot of them so that I'd have red pepper all winter for cooking and salads. Dehydration means I get a lot of veggie in a tiny space. So, I added a couple of tablespoons and that probably represents 1/3 cup fresh, best guess. It's hard to tell because peppers really don't ever plump up all that much again unless you slow cook them in soup for a long time. I'm going to count this as 2 cents just for the sake of argument for me. Obviously, if you have to buy them fresh, here in Mid-Michigan right now, they are running $1.00 each and my two tablespoons would be maybe, 1/6th of the whole pepper....hard for me to gauge, but we'll say 17 cents if you have to use fresh and that is what I'll count in the final total.

The spinach was from the freezer, again purchased at harvest time for a low price. I think the local grocery has a small bundle for $1.00. This would be maybe 10 cents of that since my boys will only tolerate small amounts of spinach in their eggs.

Butter is currently $2.25 a lb. at the Mennonite store. I used somewhere around one - two tablespoons so between 7 and 14 cents. I'll split the difference at 11 cents. The coconut oil was negligible since I used so little.

Last, the eggs were farm fresh for $1.25 a dozen, but I'll price it at our regular grocery store price of $1.89. or 16 cents per egg, 64 cents for the recipe.

Total cost - roughly $2.29 cents at Mid-Michigan prices if you have places such as Kroger and Meijer to shop. I have a Mennonite store for the bulk of my shopping, but a smaller, high priced grocery six miles from here if I run out of something, and once a month, I do shop at Meijer because their sales are excellent. The nearest Whole Foods is 2 hours away so I've never shopped at one.

I had a small amount which I find very filling, but the bulk of it was divided amongst the boys. They each had an 8 oz glass of whole milk ($3.00 a gallon here....we used to have farm fresh, but Mabel got injured and had to be put down so the cow we were boarding at a local farm is sadly, no more!) 19 cents per serving. (I'd buy organic but it's very hard to get around here and costs $6.00 a half gallon!!!!)

It fed three boys well and me, just a little, but I have been trying so hard to lose weight and am keeping my serving sizes small. So, with milk, so 95 cents each if you don't count my portion. This will stick to their bones for a while and they had a slice of fresh bread with it and spread that with butter and jam, so I'm pretty certain they'll be full for a little bit. Best guess on the bread is maybe 6 or 7 cents a slice, but that is REALLY hard for me to determine. I get my baking items so cheap at the Mennonite store, that I haven't purchased flour, yeast, etc. from the regular store in a very long time.

Faith

This is a great idea. While I don't really go "healthy intentionally" we are big on "home cooked", so most of my recipes reflect that; I hope that's okay.

Last night I made a family favorite - chicken parm with pasta and steamed vegetables.

For a very large back of individually wrapped chicken breasts I pay, at Costco, about $18. I used 4 for this recipe (each split in half) so that ran me *about* $3 for this recipe in chicken.

At Costco I also paid $5 for a double pack of the LARGE jarred red sauces. I used on of those jars for the recipe - so about $2.50 for sauce.

At our local Publix I paid about $5 for a very large bag of shredded mozzarella. I used about 1/4 of it for this recipe - so about $1.25 in cheese.

I purchased 2 dozen eggs from the same Costco for about $4. I used two eggs in the breading of the chicken in this recipe.

I used about a cup of flour in the breading as well.

I also used about 2 cups of bread crumbs (a whole jar purchased at Costco is about $4 - very large jar); so I guess I spent about $1 in bread crumbs.

I purchase my pasta from Publix - every week one of the brands is buy one/get one free, so I spent less than a dollar for a box of spaghetti to go with this recipe.

So the chicken parm, a meal that fed my family of 5 (only 4 eating "real food") for two meals (all of us for dinner; me and the children for lunch) ran me about $10.

*I also served steamed vegetables. My go to on busy nights are the steamer bags. Birds Eye is often on sale buy one/get one at my local Publix, and I generally make two bags of whichever steamer veggie I choose for the meal. So the vegetables ran me about $2.50.

Oh, I also use enough Canola oil to cover the chicken - probably about $1 worth!

Chicken Parm:

Split in half and pound chicken breast until flattened. Flour, egg, and bread the breasts and then cook them in hot oil, in a skillet, for about 4 minutes per side. Place in pre-sauced oven dish. Pour remaining red sauce over the chicken in oven dish and then top with cheese. Cook at 350 for about 20 minutes or until sauce is bubbling and cheese is slightly browned.

Tonight I'll make roasted pork tenderloin. A pack of four tenderloins, at Costco, runs me about $18. I use one tenderloin for a meal (I keep them frozen until I cook), so tonight's tenderloin will run me about $4.25. I season it with a bit of olive oil (a few cents worth) and seasonings I have around the house - garlic powder, salt, cracked pepper, basil, etc (no more than about .50 worth of seasonings total.

I'll serve with a side of rice cooked in chicken broth - chicken broth will run me about $3 for a large box and I use about $1 worth of rice.

I purchased a double pack of deli fresh baked potato soup at Costco for $10; I'll use one of the containers, so that will run about $5.

A side of steamer veggies about $2.50.

Dinner for family of 4 (eating) about $15 - this will be enough for lunch for me and the kids tomorrow as well.

I live in SC.

Aimee, this is exactly what I had in mind. This way people can really compare the nuts and bolts of a recipe and figure out their costs per serving. It's so easy to say, make soup. But, then it turns out that maybe the soup I just thought of was portabella mushroom and cream with leeks and fresh garlic. Wonderful, and believe it or not, cost effective for me because I can buy cream once per month at half price and thin with milk, the ports from Meijer at such a wonderful price, leeks for $1.00 a bundle fresh and it's a HUGE bundle - however, I would actually make it with my dehydrated leeks so we are talking pennies here - and garlic at maybe 10 cents. Seriously, it's cheap for me. But, I'd expect it to be REALLY expensive in say, New York City!

Thanks for the contribution.

Faith

What a great idea for a thread! South-central PA here, and I normally shop at a lovely chain grocery store. (I'd shop at WalMart more, but there's not a Super WM near where I need to be most often, plus the grocery store offers gas points, and I am good about only buying things I need, not convenience foods for the gas points; I can usually get $1-$1.50 off a gallon every six weeks, which is as often as I fill my van, and it makes a big difference.)

I know I have mentioned it before, but one of my kids' favorite meals (seriously, they ALL cheer when I announce this is for dinner) is spinach, egg, and cheese casserole, and it is so easy (and fast to put together). If you eat bread, a loaf of bread would go well with it, and/or maybe some sort of cooked carrot dish, or sweet potatoes (or potatoes, if you eat those). But it is very filling on its own and usually leaves enough that DH can take the leftovers for lunch the next day.

-A bag of frozen chopped spinach (16 ounces) -- $1 if I get really lucky with a sale, $1.50 if I don't. (Frozen veggies vary around here for the non-organic kind; they were consistently running $1 a bag sales on most items last year, and when I heard that there might be a shortage this spring because of last year's drought, I bought a ton at $1 a bag. So far, I have not dipped into that stash, but lately I have not seen quite as good sales -- they're running more like $1.25 a bag on sale, $1 for only a few varieties, so I may need to use the stash soon.)

-A 32-ounce container of cottage cheese ($3.00 if not on sale, $2.50 if on sale; if they're on sale, sometimes I'll use two containers to ensure leftovers.)

-A dozen eggs -- $2.

-A bunch of shredded cheddar cheese. When the 8-ounce bags are on sale for $2 a bag, I'll use those. Otherwise, the big (32-ounce, I think) bags run just under $8, but then I will probably also use a bit more in the dish (especially if cottage cheese is on sale). If I'm feeling really tight, I'll buy block cheddar and grate it at home, and the 16-ounce blocks usually cost about $4.

So, on sale, $10-11 for a protein-packed meal that will feed all six-point-three of us with leftovers (plus a dollar or two for milk to drink with it), with a green veggie to go with it. I think many of those ingredients are WIC items too, so for moms who get WIC, it's super cheap. Beat the eggs in a bowl, add the other ingredients, mix together, pour into a couple of 2-quart casseroles, bake at 350* for 30-40 minutes or until top is lightly browned, and there you go.

Maybe we can start an ultra low cost meal thread, too? Because honestly, $10 for a supper for a family is a lot for those who are really struggling....We compensate by having very inexpensive lunches....

Lunch today: egg salad sandwiches + carrots

1 dozen eggs, hardboiled....$1.29 (on sale at Aldi, otherwise $2 for eggs from the farmer--chickens are still ramping up production here)

one loaf of homemade whole wheat bread....$.75

squirt of mustard .10, dollop of mayo to mix with eggs .25

2 lbs of organic carrots, cut into sticks $2

$4.40ish for lunch for 6 people (I will pack our lunch into lunch for dh tomorrow.)

Puffy Dutch Pancake

Original recipe makes 2 servings

2 eggs (Dozen here is $1.20 so about $0.20)

1/2 cup milk ($4 a gallon - so $0.13 for milk)

1/2 cup sifted all-purpose flour (? $0.20 for flour on the high side)

1 pinch salt

3 tablespoons butter ($2.50 a pound - so 8Ă‚Â¢/ T -so $0.24)

2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar for dusting

Squeeze of lemon juice or any citrus

About $1.10 for two servings - $0.55 for one. I serve it with fruit or a smoothie, or breakfast meats. Delicious!!

Place a 10 inch pie pan with butter in it inside oven and preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

In a medium bowl, beat eggs with a whisk until light. Add milk and stir. Gradually whisk in flour and salt.

Remove pan from oven and reduce oven heat to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Swish butter aroung so that inside of skillet is completely coated with butter. Pour all the batter in the skillet and return skillet to oven. Do NOT stir!!

Bake until puffed and lightly browned, about 12 minutes. Remove promptly and sprinkle with powdered sugar.

Wyoming.

For lunch and supper I am making a big pot of soup with rice. We're gluten free.

I put in two chicken breasts- about $1.00

I used all frozen veggies except the potatoes and onions, so for carrots, green beans, peas, corn it was $1.00

Two potatoes- $.75

One onion- $.50

Gluten free seasonings $.50

I have two cups dry of jasmine rice cooking. I buy 25# bags so it's about $1.00 for the rice.

So $4.75 total. There are six of us, although the baby isn't eating food yet. This will be lunch and supper and tomorrow's lunch as well, so that's $1.59 per meal, or about $0.32 a serving.

The kids will each have a glass of milk with each of those meals. Milk is $3.50 a gallon here for non organic whole milk. So, the milk cost adds about another $1.75 on to the total, but that would be optional if you don't use milk.

Maybe we can start an ultra low cost meal thread, too? Because honestly, $10 for a supper for a family is a lot for those who are really struggling....

It depends how you spread it out. We can usually splurge on that one expensive (for us) meal every 1-2 weeks when we get paid and then we eat much cheaper $2-5 meals in between that. It also depends on how many people you are serving. A small family or just having young kids would substantially cut the total meal price. Dividing it per person would give you a better estimate. We are also gluten free for significant health reasons, and have other allergies, so that drives the price up for many families. If my post offends because of my meal cost, I'll delete it.

Wyoming.

For lunch and supper I am making a big pot of soup with rice. We're gluten free.

I put in two chicken breasts- about $1.00

I used all frozen veggies except the potatoes and onions, so for carrots, green beans, peas, corn it was $1.00

Two potatoes- $.75

One onion- $.50

Gluten free seasonings $.50

I have two cups dry of jasmine rice cooking. I buy 25# bags so it's about $1.00 for the rice.

So $4.75 total. There are six of us, although the baby isn't eating food yet. This will be lunch and supper and tomorrow's lunch as well, so that's $1.59 per meal, or about $0.32 a serving.

The kids will each have a glass of milk with each of those meals. Milk is $3.50 a gallon here for non organic whole milk. So, the milk cost adds about another $1.75 on to the total, but that would be optional if you don't use milk.

That is a great price for a meal with leftovers! If you've got skinny kids like mine, and one in particular that is required to have a higher calorie intake, some cheese on the side and a few nuts for the kids that need it, could be added for a very low cost.

I will say that I think it is MUCH harder for families who have children with egg, nut, and dairy allergies. Probably, we need a separate thread to address those issues. I'm getting good with reasonably priced, gluten-free meals. But, man, with a kid who must eat 3600 calories per day, I'd be in a world of hurting without dairy and eggs...well, nuts too...we give him macadema nuts everyday because they contain 60 calories a piece and high fat/omega oil content. (Thankfully, he's the only one that really needs them because those are very expensive nuts!)

Soup sounds good!

Faith

It depends how you spread it out. We can usually splurge on that one expensive (for us) meal every 1-2 weeks when we get paid and then we eat much cheaper $2-5 meals in between that. It also depends on how many people you are serving. A small family or just having young kids would substantially cut the total meal price. Dividing it per person would give you a better estimate. We are also gluten free for significant health reasons, and have other allergies, so that drives the price up for many families. If my post offends because of my meal cost, I'll delete it.

Leave it please! There are many people who are glten-free and have to consider other food issues. So, what is economical for one family is not for another for a wide variety of reasons. For some, this will be a good meal and they may have ideas how to add to with inexpensive items and create more leftovers as well which drops the per serving price.

The key is for everyone to be able to look at regional costs and be able to extrapolate to their own circumstances.

Probably, what we don't need too many of is "Lobster tail and caviar on a budget" recipes! Me thinks that for most people, short of having their own lobster traps, this will not be helpful! LOL

Just keep the recipes coming with your ingredients pricing, plus totals and number served so moms and dads can figure out what will work for them. Hopefully, lots of good ideas for every region will be posted.

Someday, we should have The Well Trained Mind Cookbook!

Faith

Your post costs no more than the recipes I listed, I think.

We are in FL. I buy very few things organic, only if the price is comparable to conventional. We just cant afford it.

Last night I made chili-

One lb of grass fed ground beef, bought on sale at put into the deep freeze-$4

1 tomato diced bought at farmers market for $1 a lb, so maybe $.50

1/2 purple onion diced $.50

1/2 can green chilis $.25

2 cans pinto beans $1.50

Spices (garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, paprika, chili, cayenne) $.20

Shredded cheese on top 1/3 of a bag $.75

Sour cream $.25

About $8, it served 2 adults and 3 kids for dinner and dh ate the rest for lunch today.

Another recipe we like is lettuce wraps.

1 lb of ground turkey $2.50

1 bag of shredded broccoli and carrot slaw $1

Soy sauce/brown sugar $.50

Minced garlic and ginger $.30

Cup of rice $.40

Lettuce leaves $1

Edamame $2

Lime/garlic for edamame $.60

A bit over $8, but we usually have leftovers for lunch as well

Stir fry

Cup of rice $.40

Two chicken breasts, sliced $2

Four eggs $1.20

Stir fry veggie blend $1

Soy sauce/garlic/honey/ginger $1

Salad with ginger dressing $3

Again, just over $8

A typical lunch would be-(this is for three kids)

1 chicken breast cut into strips (divided into three portions)$1

Three eggs, hard boiled $1

1/4 red or yellow bell pepper sliced $.25

1 carrot cut into strips $.20

1/2 English cucumber $.50

9 strawberries $.80

Dollop of Greek yogurt $1

So approximately $5 for three kids for lunch

Another typical lunch would be-

Can of black beans $1

Three tortillas $.60

Dollop of sour cream $.30

Shredded cheese $.60

Avocado $.80

Apple sliced $.30

About $4 for this lunch, for three kids

Maybe we can start an ultra low cost meal thread, too? Because honestly, $10 for a supper for a family is a lot for those who are really struggling....We compensate by having very inexpensive lunches....

I will say that dinner is our most expensive meal by far; we eat very cheap breakfasts and lunches, and rarely meat for either of them. Large amounts of grains aren't options for us for health reasons, especially for dinner, which makes it hard to keep dinner costs down. :(

Also, I am envious of some of you, LOL -- my kids must be big eaters, because, unfortunately, some of the portion sizes mentioned would never work for us, much less leave leftovers. More :(

I will say that dinner is our most expensive meal by far; we eat very cheap breakfasts and lunches, and rarely meat for either of them. Large amounts of grains aren't options for us for health reasons, especially for dinner, which makes it hard to keep dinner costs down. :(

Also, I am envious of some of you, LOL -- my kids must be big eaters, because, unfortunately, some of the portion sizes mentioned would never work for us, much less leave leftovers. More :(

Yeah...totally agree.

I'm always hesitant to participate in these threads, because we're vegans/vegetarians, meaning my recipes won't be of much use to omnivores. Also, my idea of healthy tends to be a little looser than that of many other people on the boards. With that said, here's a dinner that's popular here:

We make black bean tacos. I cook my black beans from dry, and we probably use most of a bag for this meal (with some left-overs for lunches the next day). A bag of black beans, store brand, is about $1.

I season the beans with a big sweet onion, sauteed in either olive oil or margarine or a combination of both, and a couple of big spoonfuls of mild salsa from a jar. I buy most of my onions at Aldi, paying under $2 for a bag that has five or so onions in it. I buy the salsa a bunch at a time when it's two for one, making each jar about $1.50. I use less than 1/4 of the jar, so about .40. I have no idea how to estimate cost on the oil/margarine. So, I'll just round up here and there on other items and hope we get close, okay?

I serve the beans with rice (.75?), taco shells ($2.50), shredded lettuce (half a head, maybe .75?), diced tomatoes ($1), diced bell pepper ($1), cilantro (.75) and sometimes a jalepeno ($1). I usually grate a little bit of cheddar (.60) for my husband, the lone dairy eater.

I suspect I'm over-estimating for several of these items, because I'm too lazy to dig out my receipts at the moment. But that brings the grand total to $10.15 for a meal that feeds four of us and leaves enough left over for one or two lunches.

We live in central Florida.

I'm always hesitant to participate in these threads, because we're vegans/vegetarians, meaning my recipes won't be of much use to omnivores. Also, my idea of healthy tends to be a little looser than that of many other people on the boards. With that said, here's a dinner that's popular here:

We make black bean tacos. I cook my black beans from dry, and we probably use most of a bag for this meal (with some left-overs for lunches the next day). A bag of black beans, store brand, is about $1.

I season the beans with a big sweet onion, sauteed in either olive oil or margarine or a combination of both, and a couple of big spoonfuls of mild salsa from a jar. I buy most of my onions at Aldi, paying under $2 for a bag that has five or so onions in it. I buy the salsa a bunch at a time when it's two for one, making each jar about $1.50. I use less than 1/4 of the jar, so about .40. I have no idea how to estimate cost on the oil/margarine. So, I'll just round up here and there on other items and hope we get close, okay?

I serve the beans with rice (.75?), taco shells ($2.50), shredded lettuce (half a head, maybe .75?), diced tomatoes ($1), diced bell pepper ($1), cilantro (.75) and sometimes a jalepeno ($1). I usually grate a little bit of cheddar (.60) for my husband, the lone dairy eater.

I suspect I'm over-estimating for several of these items, because I'm too lazy to dig out my receipts at the moment. But that brings the grand total to $10.15 for a meal that feeds four of us and leaves enough left over for one or two lunches.

We live in central Florida.

Thanks! Please don't hesitate to put your vegan/vegetarian recipes on this thread. So many families have many dietary needs to consider, beliefs, ethical concerns, etc. that we need a HUGE variety of options in order to help people out.

So, if you managed two servings as leftovers then your cost per serving would be about $1.69 per person. That's very reasonable.

Families also need to choose just how economical they have to be depending on the degree of pay-cut/furlough they've been saddled with so again, variety. I'm just hoping to keep the recipes out that are expensive no matter where you live because that won't help anyone...you know...steamed lobster and asparagus in truffle sauce that contained $25.00 a bottle wine, etc. or empty meals that do not contain enough protein, vitamins, and minerals to really adequately fill a growing child's belly and not create further health issues down the road. I know a family that managed to feed their family on next to nothing by buying $1.00 a box/past expiration sugary cereals, cases of ramen, and cases of macaroni and cheese, loaves of white bread at the discount store, and cases of spaghettios, etc. They did what they had to do to survive, but both adults developed type 2 diabetes that the doctor said was a direct result of the diet, and the children developed iron deficiency anemia and stunted growth - a fear I have for many children in Michigan since they've voted that 4 yrs. is the maximum help most families will qualify for over the course of their life time and WIC phases out when a child turns 5. So, there's cheap eating that's bad for you, and then there is hopefully, economical eating that will fill a variety of family needs, but still provide basic nutrition!

Thanks for contributing!

Faith

As I think someone else mentioned, dinner is our most expensive meal. And the meal I posted is one of our more expensive dinners, mostly because it includes the purchased taco shells. I can do essentially the same meal as burritos with home-made tortillas and cut the cost significantly.

Breakfasts around here are cheaper.

Lunches are nothing grand, either, and are DIY. They are often left-overs. I make a big batch of tomato sauce about once a week (about $5 - 6 for the whole pot), use some for that night's meal and put the rest in the 'fridge or freezer. My son makes lunches for most of the week on that, some pasta and a few slices of home-made bread.

I've been making a lot of chicken gumbo lately. This recipe is wonderful. I don't want to copy and paste and infringe on her copyright, though. Keep in mind that it calls for turkey, but chicken is just fine.

I spend a little more to get a larger roasting hen. I roast it for dinner the day before, then pick all the leftover meat off the bones. That goes in the fridge and the carcass goes into the crockpot to simmer overnight for stock. I use that stock, plus one box of chicken stock in the gumbo, along with the leftover meat.

Between having the roasted chicken as a meal in itself and having a big pot of gumbo to eat for a few days, our serving cost is probably less than $2.

Start with a $7 chicken in a dutch oven. Scatter potatoes ($1 recently for a a 1lb bag of fingerlings) and carrots ($1) around it. Drizzle with a bit of olive oil, toss in some garlic cloves and a quartered lemon (let's say another $1 total.) Put a lid on it and roast the whole thing until the chicken is falling apart tender.

Pull any leftover meat from the carcass and then make stock (free if you save vegetable trimmings.) Use the stock (free) and the leftover meat (also free) to make soup. Add in more carrots ($1), celery ($1), garlic (negligible cost), an onion (maybe $0.50). At the end I like to add in about 1/4-1/2 cup of wild rice blend (I don't know- maybe $0.50?), several handfuls of kale ($1 at most), and a squeeze of lemon (another $0.50.) We usually end up with enough soup for at least two full dinners.

So, the first dinner was $10 and the second meal was $4.50. If you get two dinners out of the soup you're then talking an average of under $5/meal altogether.

Here's another favorite and fairly frugal meal. It uses chicken legs which are much more affordable than breasts. FWIW, I typically buy meat that has been marked down at the store because it's approaching the sell-by date.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/ROASTED-CHICKEN-LEGS-WITH-POTATOES-AND-KALE-50005707

Cost:

kale- $2 for a large bag of prewashed kale at Kroger

onions- $0.50

potatoes- $1 at Kroger for a bag of fingerlings

chicken- $5

olive oil- $0.50?

salt/pepper/lemon/paprika- $0.50 at most

Total: $9.50 and we always have enough leftover for another meal.

Here's another favorite and fairly frugal meal. It uses chicken legs which are much more affordable than breasts. FWIW, I typically buy meat that has been marked down at the store because it's approaching the sell-by date.

http://www.epicuriou...D-KALE-50005707

Cost:

kale- $2 for a large bag of prewashed kale at Kroger

onions- $0.50

potatoes- $1 at Kroger for a bag of fingerlings

chicken- $5

olive oil- $0.50?

salt/pepper/lemon/paprika- $0.50 at most

Total: $9.50 and we always have enough leftover for another meal.

Hey, that's great. Can you tell us how many servings you get? Leftovers is hard to quantify. If you are a family four, do you get enough for another meal for the whole family?

Faith

We are making this tonight: chickpea avocado salad:

4 c. cooked chickpeas ($2)

1 small red onion (.25)

2 cloves garlic, minced (.25)

zest of one lime, juice of 4 limes ($1 if you buy fresh with limes 4/$1 here or .25 if you use concentrated juice)

1 jalapeno pepper, minced (we don't add this as the kids hate heat)

1/2 c. chopped cilantro (we use dried this time of year..... just some sprinkles.... .05)

salt

1 avocado halved, pittted, peeled, chopped (.29 at Aldi this week or $1 not on sale)

We combine all of this and serve it over a bag of mixed greens $1 this week at Aldi, normally $2 for a bunch of red lettuce at local market.

We'll pair this with some citrus fruit for dessert....Oranges are on sale 4/$1 this week. Clementines would be $2 for half a 3# bag.

Under $6.50 most weeks when in season....or about $1.08/person....

We are making this tonight: chickpea avocado salad:

4 c. cooked chickpeas ($2)

1 small red onion (.25)

2 cloves garlic, minced (.25)

zest of one lime, juice of 4 limes ($1 if you buy fresh with limes 4/$1 here or .25 if you use concentrated juice)

1 jalapeno pepper, minced (we don't add this as the kids hate heat)

1/2 c. chopped cilantro (we use dried this time of year..... just some sprinkles.... .05)

salt

1 avocado halved, pittted, peeled, chopped (.29 at Aldi this week or $1 not on sale)

We combine all of this and serve it over a bag of mixed greens $1 this week at Aldi, normally $2 for a bunch of red lettuce at local market.

We'll pair this with some citrus fruit for dessert....Oranges are on sale 4/$1 this week. Clementines would be $2 for half a 3# bag.

Under $6.50 most weeks when in season....or about $1.08/person....

Oh, yum, this sounds SO good! My husband doesn't like avocadoes, but we eat a lot of beans for lunches, AND I've been looking for ways to include more greens for my lunch (and three of my children and I love avocadoes) -- this looks like a perfect way to get all of those things in! It should easily be a couple of lunches for the kids and me. Thanks!

Also, thanks for mentioning that avocadoes are on sale at Aldi this week. I looked up my localish store, and they're not quite that good a price, but they are $.59 each. At the grocery store I usually frequent, they're $1 each on sale, so $.59 is a good deal. It looks like they have some other good deals on too (mangoes!), so if I have the energy tomorrow, I just may have to give Aldi a shot; I think the deals will offset the slight bit of extra gas. :)

I don't have a large family but I had a bottomless pit young teenaged boy living in the house at one point. I remember his appetite--particularly during hockey season.

One of his favorite dishes which can be done fairly inexpensively is my take on Rachael Ray's Mu Shu Chicken Patties with Seared Napa Cabbage. This is for four servings--more or less depending on your appetites.

First thing I do is get the brown rice going.

Then, in a bowl, mix a pound of ground chicken or turkey (I use 93% lean) with a tablespoon of minced ginger, a couple of cloves of minced garlic, two chopped scallions, a tablespoon or two of soy sauce or tamari, and some pepper. I form this into about nine or ten patties. I spray a griddle with a bit of oil then start frying the patties.

While they are cooking, I slice a Napa cabbage or savoy cabbage--whatever our CSA has provided.

Turn the patties after five minutes or so. I check the internal temperature with a thermometer. When they are done (165 degrees), I remove the patties to a platter then sear the cabbage in the residue on the skillet. I drizzle a little sesame oil the cabbage. When done, add this to the platter.

Serve with Hoisan sauce if you have it. I like to sprinkle the cabbage with black sesame seeds. (I have access to an Asian grocery and can get these ingredients very inexpensively.)

Rice and cabbage are pretty cheap. I buy organic and thus may spend more. Same for the ground chicken or turkey. Without organic, I think this meal could come it under $7--less if you can get your ground chicken/turkey on sale.

Another of my son's favorite dishes is Szechuan peanut butter noodles.

Cook a pound of spaghetti.

Now look in your veg crisper. What do you have? A carrot. Wonderful. Cabbage? Good. Bonus points for snow peas. Use your food processor to shred the carrot and a little cabbage or just slice thinly.

As the spaghetti cooks, mix 1/3 cup peanut butter.1/3 cup water, 2 Tablespoons soy sauce, 2 Tablespoons rice wine vinegar (or cider vinegar), a tablespoon minced ginger, a couple cloves of garlic, and 1 tablespoon sesame oil in a food processor or blender.

When the spaghetti is done, toss with the veg and sauce. Garnish with some chopped scallions. Eat.

Buckwheat noodles are wonderful in this but they are expensive.

My son loves Asian food so all I had to do was add some garlic, ginger, sesame oil to anything and he would gobble it. Swiss chard anyone? Make that Szechuan..

ETA: My meals may not be sufficiently frugal for all. As I mentioned, access to an Asian grocery can really reduce the cost for things like sesame oil, ginger, and Napa cabbage.

Another idea is to check the Mexican groceries for low cost spices and other ingredients.

I am in Minneapolis.

(Mostly) Organic Potato-Broccoli Soup

DB598EAC-3D4F-4574-B00E-5D26B5D6A1A6-875-000000AEE17282CC_zpsf41e3e27.jpg

10 small organic golden potatoes (2.25 lbs according to my scale-- $1.52 @Aldi)

2 lbs organic broccoli ($2.50@ Costco)

32oz. organic chicken stock ($2.20@ Costco)

2c. 2% milk ($0.30@ Aldi)

1 sweet onion (approximately $0.30@ Aldi)

1T butter ($0.12 @Aldi)

3oz. Sharp cheddar cheese (0.90@ Aldi)

Total: $7.84 for a huge pot of soup lasts my family of 5 for two meals plus usually a lunch for a few of us.

Per meal: $3.92 or less than $0.79 per person.

Peel and quarter potatoes. Boil until fork tender.

F48B3EAB-E62F-45B0-A001-CC89E8EA5BF0-875-000000C571FB5D41_zpsa5d4501c.jpg

Meanwhile, sautĂƒÂ©e diced onion in 1T butter.

9741BF3F-DC7D-4308-BE4E-A8606E1136C6-875-000000C578A47CF8_zps195032a7.jpg

Once potatoes are done, drain water, add sautĂƒÂ©ed diced onion, broccoli florets, and chicken stock. Add seasonings to taste. I use seasoned salt, pepper, and Kirkland organic seasoning blend.

F50D9298-295F-4383-9767-2C0E11902DC2-875-000000C57EDBF5BB_zps24b6dbd4.jpg

Add water, if needed to cover everything.

46A5B105-0F80-46D7-85AE-04E973D25159-875-000000C584C903D5_zpsf3e8ab03.jpg

Simmer until broccoli is tender, then purĂƒÂ©e with immersion blender until smooth.

A3C3D45C-E27E-4E55-96E0-A28D591BB961-875-000000C72D0268F0_zps29a05311.jpg

Add milk and stir. Taste and season again if needed.

22B091A7-A130-49C5-A03F-8E19A7B5DD85-875-000000C7DBB7C77D_zps2ede3621.jpg

Serve topped with grated sharp cheddar cheese. We sometimes add crumbled bacon, or a dollop of sour cream and diced green onion.

933CA194-8696-4811-8D6E-0E4FD0AC240A-875-000000C99FA003DF_zps86283547.jpg

Another inexpensive meal:

-Ham -- bought a couple of months ago when they were $.99 a pound and frozen. Let's say it was a 10-pound ham, and we maybe ate a third of it for one meal. I'm cooking down the bone for soup, and I have plenty of ham left over for another dinner, a lunch or two for DH, AND ham for either lunch or breakfast for the kids. DH and all four kids ate good-sized portions; I'm not a big ham fan and wasn't terribly hungry anyway, so I just nibbled. So, $3 for dinner tonight.

-Mashed potatoes -- a rare treat, but DD requested them. I think the 5-pound bag was $4 (our store offered a coupon), and I cooked half of it, but it made a big batch with leftovers for another meal. So, $2 for tonight (and that's a generous estimate, which includes the milk and butter I put into it).

-16-ounce bag of frozen lima beans -- let's say $1.25 because I don't remember if they were on sale or not. Those got gobbled up entirely (it's DD's birthday; all of those things were her requests).

So, all total, about $6.25, about a dollar per person. (But about as importantly, cook once, eat twice with the leftovers!)

If we do tacos (er, burrito bowls, since we may or may not have taco shells/tortillas with them):

-$1 bag of dried black beans

-$2 jar of salsa

-$2? for shredded cheese

-$1? for sour cream

-$1-$2 for lettuce and tomato when I remember to buy them/when they look good

-$1-$2 for jalepenos, taco sauce, spices, etc.

-$2-3 for taco shells/tortillas

So, at most $13, and we'll have leftover beans, salsa, and shells/tortillas (plus shredded cheese and sour cream left in the containers that weren't included with the estimate). If I hit a good deal, I might add a pound or two of ground beef, which might add up to $6, but which will definitely leave leftovers for lunch for the next day or two.

I don't love processed food but here's what kids and dh are having tonight...

2 boxes chicken rice a roni - $1.00 each

1/2 bag frozen broccoli - .99 cents

3 chicken breasts, sliced - $2.00

Saute the chicken breasts in spices, butter or margarine

Add the rice, 4 cups of water, and seasoning packets

Simmer, covered, add broccoli last half of cooking.

Kids and dh eat this in bowls or wrapped in tortillas.

For stretching the budget, I buy the bag of potatoes at Costco at the beginning of the month. Soup, stuffed potatoes, mashed, casseroles. It's been a great staple for us.

This is by far not "cheap" but it is budget friendly for 3 teens, their friends, relatively healthy and filling. It's also a planned leftover meal, one the kids will eat.

Houston, TX, metro area

Tonight's dinner: Taco Soup (consistency is more like stew, though) This is a meal planned to make enough for leftovers, and those servings are included in the price.

5 lbs ground beef @ 11.58 (used half, will use the other for spaghetti) so: $ 5.79

Frozen corn - $1.00 purchased and about .33 of previously purchased bag $1.33

Taco Seasoning, 2 packs - store brand .66

Kidney beans - 2 cans purchased @ .62 each, one can already purchased and we'll give it the same price: .62 = 1.86

Diced tomatoes (store brand), large 1.25

Tomato sauce (store brand) 1.23

It will be served with tortilla chips, purchased at "Day old" Ms. Bairds bread store: 4 bags for 5.00, so let's say we use a bag $1.25. Shredded cheese (Mexican), purchased previously at 5.68 for 3 lbs. Will use 1 lb.= 1.98

It is cooking in the crockpot, and will feed my family of 4 (I am eating low carb, and won't be eating this dinner) plus 3-4 servings of very wanted leftovers.

$14.10 total which is $2.01 per serving.

Dhal, brown rice, turnips

I just worked out that dhal (red lentils, cumin, coriander, onion, garlic) with brown rice and steamed turnips (dressed with butter, salt and pepper) comes to about Ă‚Â£2.80, so about US$4.20. That makes a very healthy and filling meal for four, with leftovers: I would normally add stock and make the leftover dhal into soup for a lunch for four with brown bread. Adding in the cost of a loaf of brown bread and powdered stock, that's under Ă‚Â£4 (US$ 6) for two meals for four, with most of a loaf of bread left over. That makes about Ă‚Â£0.50 or US$0.70 per serving, plus extra bread.

Chorizo, potatoes, kale

Chop it all up, almost cover with water, cook until tender, puree if required. Total cost $4.20, probably six servings, so Ă‚Â£0.70 per serving, US$1.05

Those are standard supermarket prices. I actually usually shop at Aldi, so it would be about 30% cheaper there.

I spend half what I used to spend on groceries before Husband lost his job. I'm in Scotland.

Laura

I will try and keep the prices as accurate as possible. We travel full time, but the prices don't change too drastically.

Coconut Curry- made with dried chickpeas, 2 cups cooked. $1

1 Coconut milk, canned. I buy several cans when it is on sale for $1, or at Trader Joes

1 bag of cauliflower, or 1 head fresh. $1

.5 lb frozen broccoli, $.50

.25 lbs frozen organic peas from Costco $.50

2 cups of homemade veggie stock (free made with scraps!)

I often serve this with brown rice. .50 for the rice. This meal will make severel servings. I usually freeze half.

Homemade Helper

1 lb ground turkey, $3

1 bag GF pasta $1.50 from Trader Joes

1 can organic tomatoes $1, on sale

various vegetables $1

I cook this just like a Hamburger Helper boxed meal. I use chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder and cornstarch for the seasoning mix. Add in a little milk (dairy free for us) and simmer it ALL together. This will make a 2 meals for my family.

Honey Baked Lentils.

2 cups lentils, $1-.50

3 diced carrots and 2 diced potatoes $1?

2 tablespoons honey

2 tablespoons soy sauce, or Tamari

Garlic powder, onion powder, small amount of ginger powder

Bake altogether until lentils are soft, 45 minutes.

Most of my meals are served with a large organic salad. I buy the huge tub from Costco for $3.50 and a 1 lb bag of Kale for $4.50. This gives us a fresh green salad every meal for the whole week, served with carrots and mushrooms usually.

Potato Soup. Southern California Feeds eight adults/teens

5 pounds of potatoes--3 dollars at local farm stands ( I am also able to buy 50 pounds of potatoes for $30 from Azure Standard) (and in certain seasons of the year I grow my own)---peel and chunk potatoes

1 onion--3-4 onions come in a bag for 1 dollar at Fresh and Easy--also peeled and diced---25 cents

3-4 diced peeled carrots--I can buy a 3 pound bag for about 1 dollar at the local farmstand. The three pound bag has about 8 carrots. Making the cost of the carrots I use about 50 cents.

2-3 cloves of diced garlic---4 heads of garlic for 1 dollar at the Farm stand or 2 heads for 1 dollar at Fresh and Easy (also able to grow this in my garden)--3 cents per clove for about 10 cents for garlic

Various seasonings--hot sauce, worchestershire sauce, salt and pepper, fresh thyme (which I grow in my garden) ect--25 cents

4-8 cups Chicken broth---2 dollars for 4 cups at Fresh and Easy, I also boil chicken bones and scraps with veggie scraps (onion ends and skins, carrot tops, ect) to get free broth.--I add water to make up enough liquid. 2 dollars

Splash of oil---not sure how to figure price. I buy oil a gallon at a time from Azure standard for 20 dollars a gallon. That gallon lasts me 5-6 months.

1 cup of dairy--I've used cream, half and half, milk, yougurt, and buttermilk before. What ever I have on hand. Yesterday I bought a quart of buttermilk on clearance for 1 dollar at Fresh and Easy. So using that the cost would be only 25 cents, but if I bought milk at reqular price it would be 1 cup of milk for about 67 cents.

1 cup of shredded cheese--I buy Tilamook cheese at Costco for 7.99 for 2 1/2 pounds. That makes the cup about 1.60. (there is cheaper cheese available at the local market, but I like the quality of Tilamook).

So total cost of soup is $8.02. I most likely would serve this with cornbread which cost me about 1.50 for a batch or with whole wheat toast purchased at the bakery outlet for $2 a loaf. And three in my family eat this without the dairy and like it just fine (or better) without the milk and cheese. Without the dairy this meal would be about $5.93

Saute onions and carrots in oil until onion is soft. Add garlic and saute for a few minutes. Add potatoes and seasonings. Add broth. Add enough water to just cover potatoes. Boil until carrots and potatoes are soft. Mash with potato masher or puree in food processor or blender. Add milk. Add shredded cheese to each bowl before adding soup.

This soup lends itself to any veggies you have. You could add broccoli, mushrooms, ect.

I will try and keep the prices as accurate as possible. We travel full time, but the prices don't change too drastically.

Coconut Curry- made with dried chickpeas, 2 cups cooked. $1

1 Coconut milk, canned. I buy several cans when it is on sale for $1, or at Trader Joes

1 bag of cauliflower, or 1 head fresh. $1

.5 lb frozen broccoli, $.50

.25 lbs frozen organic peas from Costco $.50

2 cups of homemade veggie stock (free made with scraps!)

I often serve this with brown rice. .50 for the rice. This meal will make severel servings. I usually freeze half.

help! I need a recipe. I went out and bought all this tonight because it sounded so good. And just now realized you don't say what to do with it.

Just combine it all and heat on the stove until warm? Does anything need to be pureed or smooshed or anything?

We're going to try the Homemade Helper and the Lentils as well, in the future. I LOVE seeing things I can try that are dairy free!

Sorry! I'm don't use a lot of recipes, but in general I make it like this-

Coconut milk and Veggie stock as the base, simmered with a few tablespoons of curry powder, pinch of turmeric, dried mustard and garlic. Add in the vegetables and chickpeas and let summer until flavorful. Sometimes I add cooked rice into it and sometimes it's on the side. Careful with your curry powder, it won't be the same as mine probably so you'll want to add it slowly.

Steak salad. Southern California. Feeds 8 adults/teens

Steak---I buy steak from the clearance section at Fresh and Easy. I can buy two steaks there for 6-8 dollars. Or this week they had tri-tips for 2.50 lb. I have also seen tri-tip on sale at other grocery stores for as low as 1.99lb during grilling season. The whole tri tip is about 8 dollars. This makes about 12 servings of meat. The two steaks will be make about 10 servings.

Grill seasoning--guessing I use about 25 cents worth. as well as another 25 cents worth of oil. and about 25 cents of garlic cloves (which I peel).

I rub the tri tip with oil and rub grill seasonings all over it. I cut slits and insert garlic cloves. Roast in oven or put on grill. Slice thin. I like to put a few thin slices(about 4 oz) on each salad. I have enough left over to make about four sandwiches the next day. or to chop up and make steak and eggs.

Salad---1 1/2 heads of lettuce. Each head of lettuce is 1 dollar for a total of $1.50. Clean and rip up.

4 tomatoes--1 dollar at Fresh and Easy. Tomatoes are also available at farm stands here for various prices depending on if you want basic romas, beefstake, yellow, orange, heirloom, ect. chop and season with salt and pepper

Cucumber--59 cents a piece during the winter months. Less during the summer. I use two cucumbers for a total of $1.18

Oil, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper for dressing. About 50 cents. I also have been known to blend this with mint (free from my yard) and throw in a few tablespoons of yougurt. Guessing about 50 cents of yougurt.

If I have the extra money, some kind of cheese is good on this salad--we like feta or blue cheese. Not including this in the cost because it is perfectly fine without it.

Total cost---$13.43 or 1.68 per serving.(includes meat for another 4 servings) Not the cheapest meal, but this is my go to meal for entertaining. Steak salad seems special and is super yummy.