Menu

Anyone else not concerned about music lessons?

I don't see music as a sign of refinement, but as a sign of a mammal with a more well developed brain and neurological system. I see it as man's first language, and it is important to me that children learn to express themselves with music, whether that is voice, other body parts,or an instrument and to understand others who express themselves with music. Music beats learning another speaking language, because music is known by all cultures. It seems to aid greatly in helping the child understand and express his emotions.

But does that require years of formal lessons on a specific instrument? My daughter is perfectly able to express herself with music by singing along to the radio or in a casual group setting (ie not a choir) and enjoys participating in things like hand drumming. She's been doing that since she was a very small child. She is improving in her ability to follow the hymnal at church and likes to dance around to music. I guarantee she does not have difficulty expressing her emotions in a wide variety of ways, including picking songs that fit her mood ;).

I see that as quite different than whether it is absolutely necessary to spend years with formal lessons learning to be sufficiently proficient at performance with either voice or instrument for an audience (which is what I understand to be the meaning of this thread).

Both my older two take piano and my oldest takes guitar as well. They are both interested and want to learn so I let them. I have pushed them more toward instruments they'll use later in life though. I wish I continued with piano instead of playing flute. There is a homeschool band and most kids love it but I think they'll use piano or guitar more later in life.

We'll probably insist on two years of piano, mainly because we already have one and I don't want it to just sit there. If we hadn't inherited my old family piano, we'd most likely just learn the recorder. I'm more concerned about music appreciation, but playing an instrument can be fun and relaxing.

This is probably going to sound weird, but playing an instrument isn't just about interest, or improving cognitive ability, or music appreciation; it's also practical. When my kids grow up, if they're strapped for cash, they can throw an open violin case on the ground and play for money. I told you it would sound weird, but it is one of the many reasons if you live in my house, you will learn an instrument.

This! When my oldest was younger I really lamented not bring able to read music. I wanted to include seasonal/academic songs in his day and couldn't use the inexpensive resources. I had to buy the CDs to listen to the music first, memorize it, and then try to sing it with him. Then, when he started recorder, the learning curve was very steep for me. I had to spend extra time watching the DVDs for each song to learn and memorize before teaching him because I couldn't read music and we didn't have access to a recorder instructor.

And I really envy other parents who can play the piano well enough to get their children started. It would save us money in the beginning when my dc are still figuring out basic things like hand position and forming the habit of practicing.

So, for practical reasons, my Dh and I do place an importance on learning to read music and play an instrument.

It's obvious there are some strong feelings regarding music. I'm wondering what happens in a musical family if there is a non-musical outlier. What happens if a child truly has zero interest or ability. It seems it's being suggested that in some homes all children WILL learn music to a high level--or else!!

Is this truly the case, or am I misunderstanding? Or is it to be understood that all children are capable of high levels of musical performance worthy of making money?

It's obvious there are some strong feelings regarding music. I'm wondering what happens in a musical family if there is a non-musical outlier. What happens if a child truly has zero interest or ability. It seems it's being suggested that in some homes all children WILL learn music to a high level--or else!!

Is this truly the case, or am I misunderstanding? Or is it to be understood that all children are capable of high levels of musical performance worthy of making money?

We teach music - I insisted that the boys learn enough recorder to be able to read music at a basic level, and to allow them to understand if they enjoyed making music. They then chose other instruments - in Calvin's case changing his mind twice! - but if they hadn't caught on to anything, that would have been fine.

I think that it's worthwhile learning the basics, just as it's worthwhile learning to participate in popular local sports, but I don't think everyone has to continue with music/skill-based sports for ever.

Laura

We teach music - I insisted that the boys learn enough recorder to be able to read music at a basic level, and to allow them to understand if they enjoyed making music. They then chose other instruments - in Calvin's case changing his mind twice! - but if they hadn't caught on to anything, that would have been fine.

I think that it's worthwhile learning the basics, just as it's worthwhile learning to participate in popular local sports, but I don't think everyone has to continue with music/skill-based sports for ever.

Laura

This is the approach we take in our home as well.

I've been anxious to get my son started with piano lessons, but my DH has been more laid back about it. I've asked DH why he doesn't want to start teaching DS(6), and he replied it's more effective to cultivate an appreciation of music when they are young through constant exposure. DH and his dad believe a child has to be old enough to develop a passion for playing, otherwise it becomes a chore that the child will never appreciate/care for. I am not a musician, but took piano lessons for a year as a child and I hated it. I retained absolutely nothing. My husband's family, on the other hand, is full of extremely talented singers and musicians. His dad is a classically trained pianist and vocalist who didn't start formal lessons until he was almost 8. My husband sings, can play anything by ear on the piano/bass/guitar and he didn't start lessons until he asked his dad (age 7). His younger brother didn't touch an instrument until 17, took a few theory lessons from their dad and much to everyone's surprise, turned out to be an incredibly gifted pianist/guitarist.

I read/hear about other kids starting lessons at age 3 and I start to panic about my kid being behind the 8 ball, lol! But everyone in DH's family who is a musician started of their own accord and is truly passionate about it, so I try to relax. :)

I don't see music as a sign of refinement, but as a sign of a mammal with a more well developed brain and neurological system. I see it as man's first language, and it is important to me that children learn to express themselves with music, whether that is voice, other body parts,or an instrument and to understand others who express themselves with music. Music beats learning another speaking language, because music is known by all cultures. It seems to aid greatly in helping the child understand and express his emotions. Other arts can do the same thing, but for a younger child, it is hard to come up with nonmusical groups to join that would enable him to see how his part relates to the whole in expressing the group message.

That's really lovely.

It was in the past. These days though, there is funding for high poverty schools. It's quite comical -- in this area, you will see full strings programs, jazz ensembles etc in high poverty schools and high wealth schools, while diverse schools have one wind ensemble due to letting go most of the music teachers.

I just wonder this with certain sports and other activities. Like, say, fencing. Or (at least pre-Tiger Woods) golfing. Or lacrosse and water polo. Or, say, cotillion. (Am I spelling that right?)

Water polo, fencing, rowing, cotillion aren't too popular as school sports but I'm sure if you look you'll find them as club sports.

I went to a school with both fencing and golf. The fencing participants was at least half European immigrants or children of European immigrants. ha. The daughter of a friend of my mother's (about my age) played water polo, but she lived in a very suburban area, and may have attended a private school. A classmate of mine who did cotillion on the side (not a school activity). I had never even heard of it before! It seemed to be very important for her family. Mind you, we also had all manner of dance/pep/cheering as well as basketball.

I think this depends on your point of view. Have you ever read the Suzuki book that outlines his philosophy of music education? I think it's called Nurtured by Love. We have chosen traditional instruction rather than Suzuki instruction for our children, but it is a beautiful book. Basically, Suzuki argues that all children are capable of becoming great musicians. He believed that it is all nurture (vs nature) and that every child can be great if they just put in the hard work of practicing. It is one of the most fuzzy, positive books I have ever read. It certainly made me view the intense approach to music that you see among Asian parents in a much more positive light (versus the view you get from Tiger Mom). So, yes, there are people who believe that all children are capable of performing at high levels if they only work hard at it.

My oldest two children both take piano lessons and my oldest is adding a second instrument in the fall. They both enjoy lessons and practice without complaint. I wouldn't do it if they weren't eager and happy. I have five small children and I homeschool. I don't have the time or the energy to force an unhappy child to practice everyday. Music should be fun. Yes, it is hard work and occasionally there will be rough patches, but overall it should be a fun, positive experience. Personally, I think that all extracurricular activities should be fun. If we aren't having fun then it's time to pause and reevaluate the situation.

I think this depends on your point of view. Have you ever read the Suzuki book that outlines his philosophy of music education? I think it's called Nurtured by Love.

Thanks for your response. I haven't read the Suzuki book, so I wasn't aware of this philosophy.

I also wasn't aware of the lds view of music.

Thanks for enlightening me!

Isn't this typically a code phrase for being a middle class or wealthy kid, too. Like, I play the piano means, my parents have room and money for a giant instrument for me, plus spare time and money for lessons. It's also a sign of refinement, which of course, not everyone (wink wink) cares about.

This is definitely not true where we live. There are too many free inner-city strings programs and too many magnet and charter schools with really good music programs. I grew up dirt poor, but learned to play the piano. We had an terrible old piano that someone gave us. A neighbor who played offered to give me piano lessons for almost nothing. When I showed some talent, my mother managed to find the money to send me to a real piano teacher with a degree. Eventually, we didn't have the money to pay for lessons, but I continued to practice on my own. Even in areas where there aren't free programs or public school strings programs, there is a band. If you have football, there will be a marching band. Music is very equal-opportunity in my mind.

Around here the code word for wealthy is dressage. As in, all the mothers are standing around the Ballet Company lobby during Nutcracker rehearsal and one mom says, "Oh, my other daughter is going to be having a dressage competition here in the city. Do you know of a good stable where we can board her horse," and then all the other mothers jump in to rave about the fabulous stable where they board their horses. If you are a city person, but you own a horse for your child to ride . . . then you have a wealthy child.

Definitely not in our case- Dh and I just hope to offer our dc an education that includes understanding how to read and play music.

This is definitely not true where we live. There are too many free inner-city strings programs and too many magnet and charter schools with really good music programs. I grew up dirt poor, but learned to play the piano. We had an terrible old piano that someone gave us. A neighbor who played offered to give me piano lessons for almost nothing. When I showed some talent, my mother managed to find the money to send me to a real piano teacher with a degree. Eventually, we didn't have the money to pay for lessons, but I continued to practice on my own. Even in areas where there aren't free programs or public school strings programs, there is a band. If you have football, there will be a marching band. Music is very equal-opportunity in my mind.

Around here the code word for wealthy is dressage. As in, all the mothers are standing around the Ballet Company lobby during Nutcracker rehearsal and one mom says, "Oh, my other daughter is going to be having a dressage competition here in the city. Do you know of a good stable where we can board her horse," and then all the other mothers jump in to rave about the fabulous stable where they board their horses. If you are a city person, but you own a horse for your child to ride . . . then you have a wealthy child.

The funny part about that is I live in a rural location, we are surrounded by farms and yet owning horses is never talked about, beyond the cost to raise them and if you are going to spend that amount of money on an animal it better be because it will be laying on your table at some point.

Music lessons can get expensive. I want my kids to become proficient at an instrument during their schooling. We use a home DVD program for guitar. While progress is slower with a home program, the cost is quite small. Music Ace has been a great music theory teacher too :)

I don't see music as a sign of refinement, but as a sign of a mammal with a more well developed brain and neurological system. I see it as man's first language, and it is important to me that children learn to express themselves with music, whether that is voice, other body parts,or an instrument and to understand others who express themselves with music. Music beats learning another speaking language, because music is known by all cultures. It seems to aid greatly in helping the child understand and express his emotions. Other arts can do the same thing, but for a younger child, it is hard to come up with nonmusical groups to join that would enable him to see how his part relates to the whole in expressing the group message.

Re: the section I bolded----I'm a bit confused. So are you saying that, in order to be actually beneficial, we need to give young children not just formal music lessons, but they must be taking part in regular group performance from a young age at specific level of proficiency? How young? What level of proficiency before one is "making music" enough to gain the benefits? How do individual formal piano or guitar lessons, for example, help the child see his part in the group message unless he is playing in a group? Around here, at least, I don't see even kids who take professional lessons participating in ensemble performances (the place I would see the "expressing the group message" in connection with formal music lessons) prior to middle school, in general. Perhaps I don't travel in the right circles. :)

Music is indeed known by all cultures, but most of them, I would hazard a guess, manage to gain benefits from that without requiring formal performance lessons or the ability to read sheet music for all their children. There is also value in just playing around with music and listening to it, and, for some (perhaps many), that is sufficient. I think that's all some of us are saying. ;) There are certainly some who will desire and have the means, opportunity, and ability to go further, and should, but the rest shouldn't feel guilty about not doing so.

What's funny is that I don't think playing an instrument nowadays is a sign of being wealthy, it's the taking lessons that somehow does it to me. I may still be traumatized by the Tiger Mom and her scary violin-forcing. I did see a nice short segment of some program narrated by Chelsea Clinton of a town in rural Arkansas where the schools are teaching their local folk music; it was quite nice.

Another thought on the "usefulness" of music--as Plebes at USNA, the Mids can't have music. They're starved for it. Many times dd would start to play one of the pianos in one of the halls and find herself with an entire group singing along. She and her roommates would sing in their rooms, in 4 part harmony--they just missed music so much. Drum & Bugle, Glee Club and orchestra were particularly popular as the kids all missed their music. For many kids, music is part of their souls.

Are you saying the singing and piano playing is against the rules? I didn't understand what you meant by saying they "can't have music." I've never heard of a rule like that!

I don't think anyone is saying that kids must be playing music in a group setting or that you should feel guilty for not having your kids take music lessons. For some families, participating in a music group provides some social interaction as well as education. As independent as homeshoolers can be, it is nice to be able to work with others toward a common goal. Again, we all have our own motives for what we do, and if you choose to do something else, that's your business. For some, music is entertainment or amusement; for others, music is art and culture, or training in discipline and perseverance.

No, creating music (as opposed to joyful noise) does not require years of formal lessons on specific instruments. James Galway is a famous recent example, no? It requires an instrument, a determined mind, and exposure to actual quality music (not everyone is born with perfect pitch).

The advantage of taking lessons is that one can progress faster, instead of blindly stumbling thru the field. While discovering on one's own is pleasant, it costs time. Imagine if you had to take flour, water, and an egg and figure out how to make a cake without ever having done it before. It will take you some time and cost to optimize.There are some instruments that one will find it very difficult to obtain excellence with without guidance if one develops poor habits...vocal cords need taken care of, hand position/technique is important in some, developing embrochure without smashing the lips on a brass instrument, etc. There may also come a time when one wants to communicate with others in the field, or play in ensembles with them, but can't because one doesn't have the vocab or knowledge. So a balance must be struck, between time & money & goals.

Again, some confusion on my part. I thought your original point was that the purpose of requiring a child to learn to play an instrument proficiently was for the young child (by which I understand one to mean preschool/early elementary) to be able to express emotions, not that all of them would play in an ensemble or be professionals in the field of music. Most of the time, IME, that will indeed be "a joyful noise" for quite a while, even with lessons. Some of us may never progress beyond the "joyful noise" no matter what. ;)

It is definitely a balance. The above presupposes that everyone one *wants* (or should want) not only to play an instrument, but progress in the field or obtain excellence. Perhaps my baseline for my child is that she be able to take that egg and scramble it, enabling her to make basic nutritional food for herself and her family (music appreciation, messing around with music informally). If she expresses a desire to make the cake (tasty, but not nutritionally required), I help her figure out how to do that. We might even go to a cooking camp or some other short-term activities to help her get to the point she desires. If this doesn't happen until after she leaves home, I am confident that I have given her a sufficient ability to access a cookbook. ;) If she expresses a desire to decorate that cake or become more elaborate in cooking, beyond my ability to teach her, some lessons may be in order. If she wants to be a chef (progress to the point that someone will pay her for her efforts), *then* it would definitely be advantageous to take formal lessons for extended periods and invest more heavily in it. She doesn't have to be able to recreate a four-course restaurant meal to gain nutrition and enjoy a well-cookd meal. I don't have to feel guilt that I didn't send her to the classes at Johnson and Wales when she was 6 just because they were there and someone else sent their child. :) I also don't have to feel guilt if I do because her passion is cooking.

As someone that thanked my mother several times for not forcing me into piano lessons like my cousin, I am completely unconcerned with music lessons. In priority, they are just beneath flying lessons. DD is turning out to be artsy and musically-oriented (sigh). So, she will probably end up requesting and getting them.

Note, there isn't anything wrong with being artsy and musically-oriented. But, between my husband and I, we have two Physics and one Engineering degree. We could teach the STEM stuff without a textbook. Music and art are confusing.

As someone that thanked my mother several times for not forcing me into piano lessons like my cousin, I am completely unconcerned with music lessons. In priority, they are just beneath flying lessons. DD is turning out to be artsy and musically-oriented (sigh). So, she will probably end up requesting and getting them.

Note, there isn't anything wrong with being artsy and musically-oriented. But, between my husband and I, we have two Physics and one Engineering degree. We could teach the STEM stuff without a textbook. Music and art are confusing.

As another mom with a physics degree and a humanities/artsy daughter, I sympathize. It sometimes makes teaching challenging, when a math or science concept is so clear to me and thick as mud to her. :banghead: Luckily, my husband is the one with the humanities bent (English lit ). Neither one of us is much help with the art, though. :blink:

I assumed they couldn't have CD's or iPods with music.

Ah! And the singing is a way to make music without the forbidden items? Got it. Though I wonder what the rationale behind the rule is. Unless it's just one of those deprivation to build camaraderie things.

It seems that all of the hsers around me are constantly running to music lessons and paying a fortune for them. I learned an instrument in band at school. I don't use it as an adult. My kids have not asked or shown interest in music, other than listening to it. If they did show an interest, I would check into lessons. But, I see so many pushing this down their kids' throats and spending a lot of time and money doing so. It just adds stress to already busy schedules.

Am I the only one that doesn't see this as necessary?

I did thatm briefly, and got annoyed at having to pay and rive them there AND make them practice so I stopped.

When one of these became a teenager she wanted to learn guitar, said she wished "I" had made her keep practicing. i said too bad, teach yourself guitar with the net. So she did.

To OP:

Well, some children genuinely enjoy music lessons. Not every child is having it crammed down their throats. Some children beg for instrument lessons and then happily practice everyday. Some families can easily afford lessons or have access to a free instrument and more affordable instruction. Some families like being busy. Some families only do music, so a lesson once a week and daily practice aren't that stressful. There is value in being able to read music. There is value in mastering an instrument. Music stretches the brain and enriches the spirit.

However . . .

Instrument lessons are not the only way to stretch the brain and enrich the spirit. If music isn't your child's thing . . . or . . . you are busy with lots of other activities . . . or . . . the money simply isn't in the budget at this time . . . that's okay. You can find other ways to stretch the brain, enrich the spirit, and expose your children to music (or the other arts). You don't need to attack others for their choice to pursue instrument lessons nor do you need to feel guilty that you have made a different choice. We each have only so much time, money, and energy to put into activities. Live and let live.

I wasn't attacking anyone. The families that I mentioned are families that I know well, they are my close friends. I wasn't making assumptions. Their kids do not want lessons and do not enjoy the instruments that were chosen FOR them. They are adding this in on top of otherwise extremely busy schedules, to the point that I do not possibly see when they have time to actually do school. So, I wasn't attacking anyone for their choice to do music lessons. What I don't understand is why they push it so hard when it is OBVIOUSLY causing stress for the moms and kids, and when the kids are not happy with the pursuit. I started this thread simply to understand why someone would do this under these circumstances. I even stated that if it was important to one of my dc, I would make it happen for them.

Sometimes we start an activity that gets out of control before we stop and say, "enough!" This happened to us with ballet. What started out as a one hour class on Saturday mornings became 6-7 days a week of ballet classes and rehearsals, regional ballet festivals, and summer intensives in far away places. My daughters enjoyed ballet immensely and gained some important skills and a true appreciation of the art, but the schedule wreaked havoc on our family life. When younger DD started having too many injuries from over use, we said to ourselves, "Why are we doing this?" The cost was enormous, and the whole thing was causing her pain, so we stopped. This may be what is happening with your friends.

I beleive that the parents' have the responsibility to break the cycle of poverty of the mind by providing opportunities to their children and exposing them to the fruits of civilization. Whether that means music lessons, art lessons, or even high school level courses would depend on the particular family and child. I can't agree to turning my back on the arts and I can't agree that it is not the parents' responsibility to assist the child in developing his talents. Where there is a will there is a way, in this county.

Wow, "poverty of the mind," "turning my back on the arts," and refusing to "assist the child in developing his talents"-----really? Where did you get any of that from this discussion?

This goes *far* beyond anything I or anyone here has said. All anyone here has said is that they don't find it an absolute requirement for homeschooling to invest lots of money and time in formal music lessons for every child to the point of performance proficiency, regardless of the child's interest, or talent, particularly if the child has different interests.

Unless your kids rides 8+ horses a day, mucks 8 stalls and rides on borrowed horses, on borrowed tack, in clothes that mom made... And goes Top Ten in the Nation, twice!

lol

You're right. There is probably a way to do anything on the cheap. Obviously, I was referencing an actual experience from this fall. Probably you had to see these model-thin moms in their designer outfits and super-high heel boots to appreciate the "dressage" moment. I doubt their daughters have ever mucked anything in their lives.

I was a Band Geek. Obsessively crazy about playing instruments. I learned how to play the flute when I was 12, and then tackled a few other woodwinds, a brass instrument, and finally piano. I loved it.

When DD was in middle school, I strongly urged her to pick up an instrument. I didn't realize the band teacher chose for the kids. He chose French horn for her, and she absolutely hated it. She lasted two years before she swore off all instruments. :(

With my boys, I'm going to wait until they're around 12 years old, and allow them to pick (or not pick) an instrument. *I* value learning music, but not at any price.

There are a lot of reasons that make me believe music is so important.

The philosophy in our family is that they will study music as a part of their curriculum (as important as math) at least until about 7th grade. By that stage they will have had around 8 years of music (both instrument lessons and theory) and be proficient enough in at least the basics that even if they choose to drop it/change for a while, the foundation is there for them to use it if they want to come back to it. I teach them a strong foundation in math even though they may not go on to a math-based passion or career, but it is there if/when they need it. Same with music.

I do understand that music is a priority in our family and that others feel differently. So far both of my children that have begun learning (4th year for DD, 2nd for DS) really enjoy it, DD decided to pick up a second instrument and extra theory this year - her choice. I believe that if they have the opportunity to succeed that they are very likely to enjoy it.

I do expect my children to learn violin to the best of their ability. We are Suzuki people, and so believe EVERY child has potential. My 11-year-old is really starting to get past my ability to help him. They don't have jobs; what else do they have to do?

I don't play any instrument. I can't sing. I don't read music or know musical theory. I've led a pretty productive life so far. I think music is interesting and I enjoy listening to it, but as far as an academic subject I don't see it doing that much for a child. Artists lead hard lives and very few ever make money off their skill. I'm not trying to disrespect those who feel differently, just saying there are all different types of view. Here we're much more interested in our kids becoming tri-lingual, playing a sport (for health and discipline reasons) and understanding the world we live in. To each his own.

I don't play any instrument. I can't sing. I don't read music or know musical theory. I've led a pretty productive life so far. I think music is interesting and I enjoy listening to it, but as far as an academic subject I don't see it doing that much for a child. Artists lead hard lives and very few ever make money off their skill. I'm not trying to disrespect those who feel differently, just saying there are all different types of view. Here we're much more interested in our kids becoming tri-lingual, playing a sport (for health and discipline reasons) and understanding the world we live in. To each his own.

I can understand that, but just noting that music doesn't preclude achieving your other aims.

My eldest - for example - was studying Taekwondo, Latin, French and Mandarin when he was schooled at home, as well as taking a high-school level biology qualification at 11.

I remember talking to a man who was insistent that his children all be on swim team, because of the values that they learned: hard work, team work, dedication, striving for excellence. When I mentioned that I had learned all those values by playing the violin and participating in orchestras, he did an enormous double-take. It had just not occurred to him that music could offer those opportunities.

Laura

My kids developed an interest in music lessons at 8 & 11. I'm glad we didn't start lessons until they were interested. They never argue about practicing piano, and usually remember to practice on their own.

But I don't think it's essential, and parenthood is a long series of choices. You can't do everything.

So true...

Travel soccer and competitive dance removes the money and time for music. The girls also do sewing. I played the cello for years. Even played with a private orchestra at Lincoln Center in middle school. Do I miss it? no. I was very mathy at that age and none of mine are like that so I think exercise and socializing are my priorities right now.

They don't have jobs; what else do they have to do?

:blink:

I'm not quite sure I understand this.

Do you mean what else do they need to do? Or do you mean what else is available/possible besides music and work?

If it's the former, then it comes down to values/priorities, which is at the core of this thread. Beyond our basic human needs to stay alive, everything is priority-based.

If it's the latter-- :blink: .

Music lessons can get expensive. I want my kids to become proficient at an instrument during their schooling. We use a home DVD program for guitar. While progress is slower with a home program, the cost is quite small. Music Ace has been a great music theory teacher too :)

What guitar lesson DVD are you using? We are planning to start private lessons in the fall, but it would be great to start this summer. DH knows just enough to be dangerous. ;)

:blink:

I'm not quite sure I understand this.

Do you mean what else do they need to do? Or do you mean what else is available/possible besides music and work?

If it's the former, then it comes down to values/priorities, which is at the core of this thread. Beyond our basic human needs to stay alive, everything is priority-based.

If it's the latter-- :blink: .

I meant that I require music lessons for a variety of reasons (several that I mentioned in a pp), and I don't really care all that much whether they like it or not. They are busy with the work of LEARNING all kinds of things. Music is just one of them. They don't currently have jobs and possess a lot of free time. I expect them to spend a small portion of that free time on something I require, i.e. music.

Granted our child is only 4.5 years old so I may not be in the same place as many of you. That being said, for us it's still exploratory time for her.

I'm a musician (not by trade) who teaches on the side and plays in bands. As a result all sorts of muscians come in and out of the house at various times. When I'm not practicing or playing the instrument, music is on in the house a great amount of time. Music is on much, much more than TV. I grew up in a house where only one other person played an instrument - my dad. My wife and her family - nothing.

She has access to a piano and drums 100% of the time when I'm not sitting behind them.

I/we are not going to force her into any instrument at this point. Like my parents did, they let me find it on my own. That's probably going to be our approach.

At this point she's so ineterested in art (which we provide full acess to) that I don't think an instrument fits. She's only 4.5 so this could change tomorrow.

Having taught many, many young kids who sat in the room with me telling me how much they hated to do it but their parents insisted it was necessary, I'd never put her through it. What ended up happening with a great deal of the kids that hated to do it was it pused them farther away from music instead of inviting them into it. Sad reality.

To each their own.

I think making and enjoying music is an integral part of human existence and incredibly enriching, but in our modern day lives in the majority of families people are no longer sitting around making music together. We have the ability to listen to any style of music that we want, which is a mixed blessing because although the choice is fabulous, it has largely taken away the need to informally make music together. My parents talk of how when they were little, relatives would get together on the weekend and play music and dance - usually guitar, harmonica, even drums and bass made out of washtubs. These were not elite people; these were coal miners.

Thus, music lessons take the place of this informal playing. I insisted that my children take 2 years of piano lessons, because I believed that it would give them a strong foundation to play any other instrument. Neither really wanted to play piano. I do not force long practice sessions, but found a balance that works for us. We are coming up on the 2 year mark, and my older daughter just remarked to me that she has changed her mind and wants to continue on, because she is just getting proficient enough to play the types of music she wants to be able to play.