Menu

Heidi is on some of our lists -- enough that I'd normally do this as a read-aloud -- but Button was REALLY not liking it (and I didn't like it as a child). We tried me reading, and an audiobook. No-go.

We are reading Alice (Wonderland & Looking Glass) & Peter Pan aloud and doing the Little House Series as audiobook.

We are scheduled for Pied Piper, Jungle Book, Little Lord Fauntleroy, Lang's Arabian Nights among others so I was looking for something different from these.

Some ideas I have are (from Ambleside's Year 2 list):

Five Little Peppers (which I liked as a child, don't know how it will go over)

Five Children and It

Mary Poppins

Otto of the Silver Hand

The Door in the Wall

... any suggestions for a particular one of these, or another replacement?

My younger boy is also very sensitive. But there is power in the book that really sunk deep into his heart. I do think that sensitive kids often need a way to deal with their emotions, and fiction is safe. It is not real. My ds loved Black Beauty so much that he listened to the audio book 3 times.

Otherwise I would sort you list as follows, from most to least favoured:

Five Children and It (ds, just came in and told me that he really liked this one)

Five Little Peppers

Mary Poppins

Otto of the Silver Hand

The Door in the Wall (this book is very simple compared to the others)

We just dropped Heidi too, I really tried... we may try again next year. We replaced it with The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. My kids are much happier! Other books my DD has read this year are:

The borrowers

Pinnochio

Alice in Wonderland (she adored this)

The 21 Balloons

I have a long list for her that I don't have on hand at the moment, but it includes peter pan and wind in the willows (from MCT's lit).

I don't know if this is to out there or not... but last we read "My Indian Boyhood" by Ohiyesa (also listed by his English name of Charles Eastman). He was a Sioux and raised with his family until he was around 12yo or so and then sent to the white schools where he learned to read and write. He later wrote this book all about what it was like to grow up as a child in the Sioux tribe. It was VERY interesting- my kids begged for it everyday. A true living book. There were some parts that I skipped over because I knew it would be difficult for my sensitive child but the way the book is written it is easy to do so without it being obvious.

I'm so glad I posted about this -- the feedback is very helpful! I've linked the titles below to make things easier for thread readers ...

Ruth, I do think we'll try Black Beauty. Thankyou. :)

Anne, it's good to have that heads-up RE Five Peppers.

LMD, I'd not heard of 21 Balloonsat all and am off to investigate! We thoroughly enjoyed Wind in the Willows ... did you use MCT's program for this and Peter Pan, and if so did you like it?

Kelly, I am so glad to have the recommendation for "My Indian Boyhood." Just last night I was coming up with a list of American History things to read, and to have a good living book by a Sioux author will be a tremendous addition.

We're using the whole mct package, just started in january so we've only read Alice so far. The teachers manual has some good ideas but is not that amazing. The novels themselves have analysis stuff in them but we hadn't yet reached that point in grammar island to utelise them. However, dd loves alice so much we'll probably come back to it.

We also enjoyed the secret garden. Some others from her list for this year are the enchanted castle, many moons, the little prince, a wrinkle in time...

Would you be interested in mythology?

Tanglewood Tales and A Wonder Book by Nathaniel Hawthorne

I even have a link on my blog (I can add it to this post, if you'd like) of a free online book with three short plays from Dramatizations of School Classics which are based on three of the stories from A Wonder Book.

My girls read all of the ones from your list except Mary Poppins and enjoyed them.

Perhaps one of these:

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'Brien

The Wheel on the School by Meindert Dejong

The Little Lame Prince by Dinah Maria Mulock (Craik)

The Treasure Seekers by Edith Nesbit

The Wonder Clock by Howard Pyle

The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes

The Moffats by Eleanor Estes

Your suggestions will be put to good use here!

Aurelia, I've not heard of Nurse Matilda but will investigate; Railway Children was a success here ... I've heard good things about Bambi (the book) but haven't got it scheduled, I will add that to the list.

Pollyanna hadn't occurred to me, amsunshine, but will consider it -- is the Little Princess the one by Burnett, or one of McDonald's Princess books?

LMD, thanks for the MCT feedback. That's consistent with what I'd gathered.

Kfamily, this child is not a mythology fan at all -- the younger one prob. will be, though! I'm resorting to introducing much mythology via Magic Treehouse & also Rick Riordan. And I'm not ashamed of it. (just defensive :) ) And the Tanglewood Tales weren't enjoyed by Button, so I'm giving Hawthorne a rest ... the rest of your list is just our speed; everything we've read already has been thoroughly enjoyed! so I'll add the others.

LittleIzumi, I'm particularly glad to have a non-Western story and will get my hands on that one -- thank you for the rec & the link too!

:) :) :)

Has someone suggested Wizard of Oz? I'd also recommend The Great Good Thing, The Ordinary Princess, Tuck Everlasting, Wind in the Willows, Lindgren's Ronia, the Robber's Daughter or Mio, My son (anything by Lindgren), Phantom Tollbooth, Anne of Green Gables.

OP - Nanny McPhee movies are based on the fun Nurse Matilda books. ;)

• 2 months later...

Has someone suggested Wizard of Oz? I'd also recommend The Great Good Thing, The Ordinary Princess, Tuck Everlasting, Wind in the Willows, Lindgren's Ronia, the Robber's Daughter or Mio, My son (anything by Lindgren), Phantom Tollbooth, Anne of Green Gables.

OP - Nanny McPhee movies are based on the fun Nurse Matilda books. ;)

thanks, Lisa!

Agreeing with previous posters -- Black Beauty! Your DS is at the perfect age for this one. While there are sad parts, it ends well. There's something about it being told through the horse's voice that so appeals to children at that age...

These are all somewhat similar to Heidi, but more "real", and not smarmy or saccahrine (and personally, I think Pollyanna is even worse :ack2: ); while we just couldn't handle Heidi, these were much enjoyed by our DSs:

- Mountain Born (Yates) -- boy protagonist

- Understood Betsy (Fisher) -- girl protagonist, but DSs really liked this one

- Kildee House (Montgomery)

- Ginger Pye (Estes)

- Chucaro: Wild Pony of the Pampa (Kalney)

- Little Pear (Lattimore)

- The Moffats (Estes)

More gentle adventure ideas:

- The Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet (Cameron) -- DSs LOVED this one -- a spaceship and planet just their size!

- Henry Huggins (McCleary)

- Mrs. Piggle Wiggle (MacDonald)

- The Ordinary Princess (Kaye) -- DSs enjoyed this -- not for girls only! :)

- A Little Princess -- OR -- The Secret Garden (Burnett) -- DSs enjoyed the rags to riches aspect of A Little Princess = not just for girls! ;)

- The Twenty-One Balloons (DuBois)

- The Toothpaste Millionaire (Merrill) -- although, this may be more understood/appreciated along about 3rd grade...

- The Whipping Boy (Fleischman) -- DSs thought this was hilarious

Since you enjoyed Wind in the Willows, you may also enjoy The Reluctant Dragon by the same author. Also, these charming talking animal books:

- Rabbit Hill (Lawson)

- Ben and Me (Lawson)

- Mr. Revere and I (Lawson)

- The Rescuers; Miss Bianca; The Turret; Miss Bianca in the Salt Mines; Miss Bianca in the Orient (Sharp) -- these are wonderful! great vocabulary, sweet and very funny, great adventure/action, charming -- nothing like the movies made by Disney years later

- One Hundred and One Dalmatians (Smith) -- for a sensitive child: implied danger to the dogs; BUT the great humor and charm of the writing, and great animal characters helps minimize that

- The Dragon of Lonely Island (Rupp)

You also have some good books on your list -- just be aware:

- Five Children and It

(Victorian vocabulary and late 1800s lifestyle may require some explaining along the way -- perhaps start with Edward Eager's Half Magic, a more modern spin-off from Five Children and It with a more accessible culture and language??)

- Otto of the Silver Hand

(sensitive child alert: main character, while still a boy, has his hand chopped off on purpose by a rival power-seeking faction!! :ohmy: -- hence, the silver hand)

- The Door in the Wall

(while I really like this one (medieval boy becomes crippled, but overcomes), my DSs were not that into it, and I've read on this boards that is frequently the case with other children; YMMV)

You could try the Black Stallion if you think Black Beauty would be too sad. I loved both as a kid and my DS really liked Black Stallion. I haven't tried Black Beauty with him yet because I know he's so sensitive.

Peter Pan is also really fun and light for younger kids.

- Otto of the Silver Hand

(sensitive child alert: main character, while still a boy, has his hand chopped off on purpose by a rival power-seeking faction!! :ohmy: -- hence, the silver hand)

When we read this, I was frankly a little shocked that this is included in the 2nd grade list for AO. IMO, the hand being chopped off was the least of it - it happens, but not in any particular detail. The attack on the castle, on the other hand, is pretty graphically described.

My DS didn't have a problem with it though. He's on the sensitive side, but it seems to be a little selective.

When we read this, I was frankly a little shocked that this is included in the 2nd grade list for AO. IMO, the hand being chopped off was the least of it - it happens, but not in any particular detail. The attack on the castle, on the other hand, is pretty graphically described.

My DS didn't have a problem with it though. He's on the sensitive side, but it seems to be a little selective.

I think it was ME -- sensitive mom of boys -- that had a such a hard time with this one, that people really DO such things to children!

Tanglewood Tales and A Wonder Book by Nathaniel Hawthorne

Let me heartily second this recommendation! We read through this this year as well, and all 5 of my kids, ages 6-16, were captivated. The language is beautiful and I just love the way the stories are set.

Added later: Just saw you tried it and didn't like it...sorry, didn't read far enough!

Lori D., thank you for that list! You've already given me excellent advice RE this child. May I ask how you know the things you do? Were you -- or are you -- an elementary teacher or children's librarian in another life???

jjhat7, I've just read Michael Dirda's On Conan Doyle & I was a great Holmes fan myself - thank you so much for the recommendation, I'll check into the appropriate ages for it.

Tara, Estes keeps coming up so we'll hit her after we're done with Nurse Matilda (we're doing an omnibus of three novels, from our library) and either before or after Five Children and It ... also, thanks for the further Astrid Lindgren reading suggestion -- Pippi was beloved by both boys (they are 7 3/4 and nearly-three y.o.)! The tot despises Nurse Matilda, however ...

Paige, I remember reading & enjoying the Black Stallion but had forgotten it entirely and haven't seen it on lists: that seems an ideal book esp. for before Black Beauty. I may save Black Beauty for 4th grade and do Black Stallion sooner.

LoriD & ocelotmom, these past realities are very disturbing to me as a mama too. And we've dropped much history for reasons of sensitivity.

Luanne and ATFm, thanks very very much for the heads-up RE Mary Poppins. I have it from the library and half-heartedly started it, but it didn't catch A.'s imagination as the Nurse Matilda books do & I wasn't sure if I should try later, power through, or drop it. I think we'll drop it and perhaps watch the movie this summer or at the holidays.

thank you so much to everyone. This thread is my go-to list for our next several months of readings (I've been using it a while already, as evidenced by our Nurse Matilda progress).

Lori D., thank you for that list! You've already given me excellent advice RE this child. May I ask how you know the things you do? Were you -- or are you -- an elementary teacher or children's librarian in another life???

:blushing: You are too kind!

Nope, not a librarian. Just a voracious reader as a kid, and then reading aloud hours a day to my DSs when they were young. One has some mild LDs, which has required LOTS of research and trial and error through our years of homeschooling. Hence, exposure to lots of different books and educational ideas. ;)

You might want to watch out in Bambi for some very sad scenes. Personally, when one of the hares is shot in the hind legs and keeps asking for help from the animals running by...that just always makes my skin crawl. Too many things I've seen that rush to my mind.

Awesome book! Love it. But I didn't read the book until I was well into middle school.

Of course, Bambi's mother is killed, there is also another scene where a weasel tears the throat of a squirrel and it runs around and up trees tearing at it's throat until it bleeds to death. And one of the fawns that is taken by men returns, then makes the mistake of trying to go up to the men later. He's shot and there is the graphic scene of him dying. Not pretty.

You might want to watch out in Bambi for some very sad scenes. Personally, when one of the hares is shot in the hind legs and keeps asking for help from the animals running by...that just always makes my skin crawl. Too many things I've seen that rush to my mind.

Awesome book! Love it. But I didn't read the book until I was well into middle school.

Of course, Bambi's mother is killed, there is also another scene where a weasel tears the throat of a squirrel and it runs around and up trees tearing at it's throat until it bleeds to death. And one of the fawns that is taken by men returns, then makes the mistake of trying to go up to the men later. He's shot and there is the graphic scene of him dying. Not pretty.

Bambi is traumatizing! I thought the movie was bad but then I read the book and I was shocked. It's not for little kids at all! I thought it was worse than Black Beauty.

Bambi is traumatizing! I thought the movie was bad but then I read the book and I was shocked. It's not for little kids at all! I thought it was worse than Black Beauty.

Oh: thank you very much for this heads-up. I hadn't looked into Bambi seriously yet ... I think it may not be a good read for A. at all, but I'll try to revisit it with N. when he's middle-school or older and see if it's a good fit.

We do a good bit from Ambleside, and in their later years there seems to be a book with similar scenes. I've gathered that the children (older children, that is) have benefited from the book but it takes judgment in reading, support from the parent and sometimes research into the issues raised.

The tot despises Nurse Matilda, however ...

Then definitely steer clear of Mary Poppins.

Nope, not a librarian. Just a voracious reader as a kid, and then reading aloud hours a day to my DSs when they were young. One has some mild LDs, which has required LOTS of research and trial and error through our years of homeschooling. Hence, exposure to lots of different books and educational ideas. ;)

Lori D, do you keep some sort of database or master file with your book lists? I think you are one of the most fascinating board members, by the way. :) I always wonder - how does she DO that?

Lori D, do you keep some sort of database or master file with your book lists? I think you are one of the most fascinating board members, by the way. :) I always wonder - how does she DO that?

:laugh:

No, just my old brain database, remembering different past threads to pull up and add all the great ideas from others to make compilation posts. ;) My problem is, my brain is getting older and more forgetful.

(Esp. when it comes to things like people changing their avatars... ahem... STRIPE! ... making it harder for some of this highly visual learner to realize I'm talkin' to the same person, but who's had a complete "make-over".)

cheers! Lori