Menu

I would like to discuss common core and the current curriculum we use

happycc

I would like to discuss or make a list of popular homeschool curriculum that follows or plan to follow the Common Core AND ABOVE.

Also how will Common Core affect your homeschool teaching considering annual state testing (will it still be called Star testing in CA?), SAT and such will be following this direction?

Can someone start with a general list for each subject? Language Arts, Math, Science, History

ETA If you were planning to incorporate Common Core Standards in your curriculum how will this affect your teaching?

My kids have the option to return back to public school if needed. This is why I am incorporating Common Core Standards as well as teaching each child well with what works best with them.

I believe every curriculum can be tweaked to meet most of the CA state standards. I just want to know how different is Common Core is from current CA Standards.

Well, for Math, Math Mammoth is being revised to meet Common Core.

MCT's revised/newer printings have little boxes added showing how they already meet & exceed common core, but I don't think they've actually changed anything to do so ;)

I think the common core standards for math look like an improvement over CA's previous math standards. However, I'm using the pre-CC version of MM, because we're finishing up grade 5 and she hasn't revised MM5 or 6 yet. MM's pre-CC introduces some topics in an earlier grade than the CC version, and it's worked fine for us.

I haven't delved that deeply into the standards in any other area. We don't have to do annual or state testing, so at this point, it's not that relevant to me. If and when it begins to affect the SAT/ACT, or other college entrance exams, I'll pay attention, but I don't have a predetermined response to it - we'll see what happens.

Curriculum that matches and/or exceeds Common Core List --I will edit this as we get more feedback.

(Does Classical education exceed Common Core?)

Math

New version Math Mammoth

Singapore Math Standards?

New RightStart A (don;t know the rest of the series)

MEP?

Rod and Staff Math?

New version Singapore Discovering Math

Moving beyond the page

Math in Focus

Calvert Math?

Literature

New version Michael Clay Thompson

First Language Lessons?

Writing With Ease?

Writing With Skill?

Evan-Moor Nonfiction Writing

Rod and Staff Language arts?

Calvert?

History

Calvert?

Science

Calvert?

I think that Common Core only covers Language Arts and Math in the lower grades. I haven't seen any CCSS for science or history, though I've heard they were preparing a set of science standards.

Evan-Moor Nonfiction Writing is aligned with CC standards, and I think Singapore Primary Math Stds. Ed. is also aligned.

ETA Here is the science standards project I was thinking of. It has not been completed or the standards implemented yet.

Well SAT testing is a test needed to get into college. So you have to score competitively in order to get into a UC/State college.

Won't be able to afford a private college in anyway. So public college would be my kids' route. So have to teach to the standards somewhat. Back on topic please.

Singapore Discovering Math is being revised to meet CC. I have the old version of DM 1A and the CC version of DM 7B (same year, revised numbering scheme). The rigor is similar, but the S&S is slightly different. DM 7 CC covers some additional topics, which is why I went with it over the old 1B.

I am back to using Calvert for both my kids. Calvert exceeds CC and they are replacing their math with MIF to meet CC.

I will probably continue with Calvert math through 8th grade, which does not meet CC. We will have to see.

I personally am not that worried about it but since you asked I thought I'd chime in, that Calvert is a great choice for those wanting a classical flavor but still needing to meet Standards.

We homeschool in order to help our children reach their full academic potential. We choose curriculum based on whether it will help our children reach that goal. I don't plan to alter any of our choices based on CC. We won't be seeking CC curriculum or avoiding CC curriculum. We will continue to choose the curriculum that is the best, most rigorous match for each child. We do have to do annual standardized testing in our state; however, I strongly believe that a full, rigorous, rich education is the best preparation for any standardized test.

i guess i should have reworded my original question-my bad.

so my question is if you are planning to implement common core how would this affect your teaching?

i have been doing some research and common core standards require group problem solving and discussions among peers.

so i am thinking rightstart,miquon,singapore and beast academy curriculum would all meet standards when all used together.

Just because a curriculum matches CC standards, doesn't mean it will help students score well on CC tests. In fact when standards are too high and/or wide, teachers are forced to gloss over skills and age appropriate priorities, to fit in long lists of content and concepts that students are not developmentally ready or properly prepared for, and scores can actually be lower than if teachers use a narrow and easier curriculum.

My youngest son scored the highest test scores in our very large town one year. The PS was using a lot of fancy wide curricula especially in math. I had rushed him through some cheapo narrow adult-ed workbooks. I believe he scored so highly because I was NOT teaching to the standards.

So when LOOKING at standards, sometimes it's best not to MATCH them, when seeking the highest test scores possible.

I'm interested in a list as well. My oldest went back to public school this year (freshman). My younger children will be given that option as well.

Thankfully it seems we managed well enough with my oldest as he is doing better than the majority of his grade. I would like to make sure, though, that we take advantage of any changes.

I just asked for the updated MM to have next year. I'd like to know how well our other curriculum choices fit with CC.

As far as how CC affects my teaching so far, I've read quite a few blogs about the group problem solving and have implemented many ideas with my boys (3rd, 1st, and pk) at home. We have journals for math and science that we use for group work. Science is easy to discuss and problem solve together since all three already work together on that. With math, I've chosen some lessons from MEP and CSPM (I think?) to work together. We discuss, and I write their observations on a white board since this is our first year. Then they can copy and add their own personal thoughts to their journals. Of course with the age difference, their journals look entirely different. I keep my own journals so as we look back on their pages, I have mine as a reference. The only thing I haven't figured out is the peer reading. Right now I play the *peer* role but my hope is once everyone is reading well, the boys can do this together as well.

As far as the group problem-solving and peer reading is concerned, I really like CC. Also it's my understanding that MM just shifted a few topics around but didn't actually have to add anything. I'm not sure what isn't to like about it. (However I understand that isn't the purpose of this thread and will look for those answers elsewhere.)

Looking forward to seeing what makes your list above.

Well SAT testing is a test needed to get into college. So you have to score competitively in order to get into a UC/State college.

Won't be able to afford a private college in anyway. So public college would be my kids' route. So have to teach to the standards somewhat. Back on topic please.

I don't teach to any standard, and yet, I anticipate my kids will have zero difficulty exceeding the standards of the Scholastic Aptitude Test/SAT for college admissions. We just shoot for solid learning across the board, and that should satisfy any testing.

For now, my kids take the Stanford Achievement Test and blow it out f the water, even considering there are topics we have not yet covered with them at each grade level because we do not pay attention to standards or test prep.

It is about quality of education, not specific metrics. A solid education will see you through.

But you wouldn't have to follow the common core stuff until high school, which would give you the freedom to do whatever the heck you want up until then.

Also, homeschooled students are not required to take any tests at all.

And if you're talking about California, it doesn't matter anyway; your dc can take all the required lower-division courses at the local community college and then transfer to CalState or UC. Transfer students are guaranteed to be admitted (although they might not get the exact campus they want right off if their major is impacted).

I believe every curriculum can be tweaked to meet most of the CA state standards. I just want to know how different is Common Core is from current CA Standards.

If you are using a charter or just interested.

These two PDF documents by Sacramento County Office of Education have the comparison between Common Core and current CA Standards.

http://www.scoe.net/castandards/multimedia/k-12_ela_croswalks.pdf Language Arts K-12

http://www.scoe.net/castandards/multimedia/k-12_math_crosswalks.pdf Math K-12

Just FYI: Many states are backing out on the Common Core Standards as more details are being unearthed. I just started doing research on this yesterday when another mother at co-op told me about it. I have read that the government will be making a monopoly on educational material for all subjects, not just math and language arts, but history and science as well. To me, that is just plain scary and smacks of Communism. I also watched a video of an interview with the Sec. of Education:

If the Common Core Standards are embraced nationwide, many public schools, private schools, and home schools will have to change to fit the national standards. I already hold my children to high academic standards, so I am not overly concerned about them passing any test placed in front of them.

happycc, would you be using all of those math programs at once? Just parts of each? Just one with another to supplement?

Ok...I should clarify things even further...We are with a homeschool charter school because 1) couldn;t afford to homeschool without the financial help 2) homeschooling stepdaughters (need to be as legal as possible when dealing with the ex) She can always go to the California court and accuse us of not giving them a "proper" education. In fact in our first court proceeding she made it adamantly clear she did not want me homeschooling them and of course the courts side with her because they are antihomeschooling. So basically they are officially enrolled in a charter school but little does she know that I am really homeschooling them but I have to be careful and be sure that what they are learning is mandated by the government to be cool with her and the court system and social services system.

So I have to be extra neurotic about everything which includes them having good STAR testing scores as ex could use that against us. Our charter school lets us use anything to homeschool the kids so long as they are meeting standards based on the STAR test. We just can;t buy anything religious based.

I cover my bases like crazy and do a ton of research to back everything up that I use for a good reason.

So with that, hopeallgoeswell, yes....I use a bit of Miquon via Education Unboxed, Right Start and Right start games to help with concepts and fact memorization, Singapore for the bar method, Beast Academy to challenge them, and Key to for review.

She only see the kids five hours a month but can make our lives a living hell. It is sad because the kids would like to see her even less if at all. I insist they continue to see her at least until they are at a legal age to be able to determine what they want to do legally.

The girls have been a pleasure to work with in general. One of them is a bit more challenging and makes me want to scream. but we working step by step and she is progressing.

The two older ones were bored in public school and the younger was completely lost and got into trouble.

Just FYI: Many states are backing out on the Common Core Standards as more details are being unearthed.

Who do you believe it was that developed the standards?

So I have to be extra neurotic about everything which includes them having good STAR testing scores as ex could use that against us.

I cover my bases like crazy and do a ton of research to back everything up that I use for a good reason.

The two pdf I linked upthread compares very well the current CA standards to the CC standards. For STAR testing, print the past year papers and drill. It is more effective than Study Island.

http://www.cde.ca.go...sr/css05rtq.asp

ETA:

more drill pages if you need

http://www.eduplace.com/kids/hmcam/prep/prep_4.html

Laurel in CA No of course-...the charter school has a page I print out that list the standards for each grade. I check and mark it each month to make sure something on that list is covered. When I mean cover it could mean,,,,, reading something like a book, website, watch a tv show, movie, documentary, discussion etc ...

I rarely use any of the schools materials--just whatever i check out the learning center libraries. Most of the curriculum I use are suggested on this forum actually.

If you are using a charter or just interested.

These two PDF documents by Sacramento County Office of Education have the comparison between Common Core and current CA Standards.

http://www.scoe.net/...a_croswalks.pdf Language Arts K-12

http://www.scoe.net/..._crosswalks.pdf Math K-12

I haven't had the chance to read through the entire document, but just looking at K-4 of the math one, I am very depressed. If schools here adapt their math sequence to meet CC rather than the current standards, it really *WILL* mean a "dumbing down". There are a TON of areas where the current math standards are 1, 2, or even up to 4 grades ahead of CC.

SAT can't just become an extension of common core: Texas isn't going CC at all, and Texas represents a meaningful chunk of their market. They will have to keep the test generic enough that Texas standards also apply.

But hasn't David Coleman already stated that he intended to align the SAT to the CC? David Coleman, now president of the College Board, was the architect and co-writer of the CC.

I also read that CC was attempting to absorb the CSCOPE (Texas) program.

Research I've been doing points to the beginnings of the modern day CC to Marc Tucker back in 1988. Tucker was a part of the Northwest Regional Educational Laboratory (NWREL), then the U.S. Department of Education, then president of the National Center for Education and the Economy (NCEE), and the New Commission on the Skills of the American Workforce.

Just FYI: Many states are backing out on the Common Core Standards as more details are being unearthed. I just started doing research on this yesterday when another mother at co-op told me about it. I have read that the government will be making a monopoly on educational material for all subjects, not just math and language arts, but history and science as well. To me, that is just plain scary and smacks of Communism.

You know what I find scary? People who don't bother to check facts, and who therefore spread ridiculous misinformation based on gossip, facebook rants, or loony blog posts.

You might consider actually reading the Common Core Standards sometime. One of the foundational concepts is making sure that students can distinguish between fact and opinion, and can back up their opinions with facts. There is also a strong emphasis on reading primary sources and on developing logic and critical thinking skills. Clearly, these are things that schools have not been effective in teaching up till now. :rolleyes:

Jackie

Just FYI: Many states are backing out on the Common Core Standards as more details are being unearthed. I just started doing research on this yesterday when another mother at co-op told me about it. I have read that the government will be making a monopoly on educational material for all subjects, not just math and language arts, but history and science as well. To me, that is just plain scary and smacks of Communism.

I would love to know just how you think the government plans to "make a monopoly on educational material." I really don't think you understand how a monopoly works. Or Communism, for that matter.

Maybe you should have watched some more, because the rest of that sentence is: "schools don't just belong to you and I... they belong to the community."

What did you think he was going to say? And why would you purposely choose NOT to know what he actually said, and prefer to imply that he said something suspicious or scary?

He explicitly talks about partnering with nonprofits like the YMCA, Boys & Girls Clubs, and volunteer tutoring groups, as well as having afterschool activities like art, music, drama, and chess clubs, so that schools will serve as genuine centers of the community. Is there something about that idea that scares you? Are you morally opposed to art or chess or free tutoring? :confused1:

Jackie

Jackie, I think she was commenting on his incorrect grammar. He should have used the objective case instead of the nominative case. In other words, he should have said, "Schools belong to you and me," instead of saying, "Schools belong to you and I."

Jackie, I think she was commenting on his incorrect grammar. He should have used the objective case instead of the nominative case. In other words, he should have said, "Schools belong to you and me," instead of saying, "Schools belong to you and I."

Oh, ok. I noticed the grammatical error, but it honestly hadn't occurred to me that a minor error in a rather impassioned speech would render someone incapable of listening to the rest of the interview. I was assuming she was objecting to it in the same way that hopeallgoeswell was. Although I'm still trying to figure out what's so offensive about afterschool clubs that hopeallgoeswell would link it after her comment on communism. :confused1:

Jackie

Oh, ok. I noticed the grammatical error, but it honestly hadn't occurred to me that a minor error in a rather impassioned speech would render someone incapable of listening to the rest of the interview. I was assuming she was objecting to it in the same way that hopeallgoeswell was. Although I'm still trying to figure out what's so offensive about afterschool clubs that hopeallgoeswell would link it after her comment on communism. :confused1:

Jackie

Oh, I'm that type of a grammar snob. It's a curse. No matter what erudite perception the person might then go on to share, there I am, thinking of that mistake.

As far as schools becoming more like community centers for local families, I am tremendously in favor of that idea. Giving everyone in the school community more opportunities to really get to know one another could only be a good thing. It won't be happening in my city anytime soon; we just cut funding to several extra programs including Head Start.

As far as schools becoming more like community centers for local families, I am tremendously in favor of that idea. Giving everyone in the school community more opportunities to really get to know one another could only be a good thing.

:iagree:

I think the idea of opening the schools up to community organizations, providing free space to the organizations in return for them providing free services to the community, is a great idea. He talked about tutoring groups, mentoring programs, even community health clinics and ESL programs for parents. Seems like a win/win situation to me.

Jackie

Oh, I'm that type of a grammar snob. It's a curse. No matter what erudite perception the person might then go on to share, there I am, thinking of that mistake.

OT: I used to work as an editor at a large nonprofit and we published a lot of technical and scholarly books and monographs, so I've seen some pretty egregious grammatical errors even from really brilliant, well-educated people. (For some reason, its/it's and lie/lay were really common errors.) I'm used to just correcting it and moving on; I don't even wince, lol. I had to edit a lot of publications by scientists for whom English was a second language, and some of those required a LOT of work. I once got a lovely letter from a scientist thanking me for the editing job I did on his paper. His note ended with: "This paper was the best English I never read from me." :laugh:

Jackie

Involving the community takes up a LOT of time. I saw it done back in the 90s at a charter school. I personally didn't like the results for MY son, but...you all know I'm a minimalist, who focuses on the 3Rs, religion and, the classical languages, so... :lol:

I pulled my older son out of the charter school a year before high school to fill in the all the holes in his 3R knowledge, that opened up while his school was so busy hosting and visiting the community.

Time in schools is so limited, even more limited than at home. I personally would never send MY child to a project/community based school again, no matter what services and equipment the community was offering to it. That type of focus doesn't suit MY worldview and priorities.

And I'm not worried about the political ramifications much. It's just that standards tend to be SO wide, that less experienced teachers have trouble skipping the fluff to stay focused on the 3Rs when time gets short, which it does, ESPECIALLY if the community is involved.

As for grammar, I'm still studying it. I'm always looking for the most efficient way to learn it and teach it. I think we would all have better grammar if we had better books to teach it, and it was given priority over content subjects. I'm enjoying How Grammar Works: Wiley Self-Teaching Guide this week :D. Bad grammar, handwriting and spelling make me sad; I think they are unnecessary, but a reality, for those of us who are 1st generation homeschoolers, never mind the entirely PSed.

happycc, I use Miquon, Singapore, and Rightstart together for the reasons you posted above. Best of luck on your journey with your step-children. I applaud you for investing so much time in their education even when it creates more work on your part.

I found the top video at the end of this blog to be helpful.

http://michellemalki...andards-part-1/

Jackie

I'm coming to this a bit late after (oddly enough) spending some of the day at community events in out local schools. So, to take one thing at a time....

FWIW, I am in favor of the Common Core and have posted links to pdfs of LA and Math CC documents many times. I keep copies in Notability and refer to them regularly, notating what we have done and what we need to do. Enough said.

And, Tibbie, thanks. I was referring to the grammar, not to the substance of what was said. I probably should have added multiple lols or some kind of emoticons. I did actually go on to look at more of the video -- but I can understand how someone could take what I said quite literally, especially since I didn't post anything else on this particular CC thread.

But the grammar does disturb me. AD was basically saying 'belong to I,' if you remove the 'you and.' That is a pretty big error, imo. I am not trying to be the grammar police, ticketing for split infinitives and sentence-ending prepositions, but I do think that 'belong to I' deserves a citizen's arrest, lol.

:tongue_smilie: :ohmy: :001_rolleyes:

It disturbs me that the Secretary of Education (and Harvard magna cum laude) has not internalized grammar better. Perhaps the blame should be put not on him, but on our system of education? In any case, I am thrilled that the new LA CC has a decent amount of grammar!