Menu

Talk Me Out of Feeling Silly

CyndiLJ

So this week I did something totally impulsive and after almost 3 years of wishing I could, I rented a harp and am going to try and teach myself. The harp isn't even here yet and already I am feeling like I will be wasting my time trying to learn. I am not totally new to music, having played the clarinet all through school and being in choir at church the past 7 years or so. But I don't know keys or chords, bass clef,or anything about the harp (of course). So now I am feeling like I would never allow my kids to feel, like they shouldn't try something new.

Why don't we ever pay attention to our own words???

I had a high school friend who played the harp. I'm not musical so take this with a grain of salt - playing the harp is very difficult. But is also very cool. I equate it to playing the piano. Even if it is difficult to play really well, doesn't mean you can't enjoy learning and having a great time.

What a great adventure, plus your kids get to see you try something new! :)

You know, part of my reasoning is for exactly this. I have a lot of learning challenges among my kiddos, and I thought that seeing mom tackle something totally foreign and difficult, watching me struggle for a change, might encourage them to stick with the hard stuff, too.

I think it's wonderful! I just did something similar. I bought a used harp around Christmas time from an ad on Craigslist. The harp was the one that I had picked out as the one I would get someday. It was about 1/3 the new cost and came with all sorts of accessories. Now that the boys are older, I have a bit more time to do something for myself.

I wish you all the best and think you are being a great example to your children.

Haha! "Seize the Harp" may become my new motto!

Pardon my quite rusty, and possibly incorrect, Latin. Would that be Carpe Citara?

I love that you took the plunge. I hope you and your harp are soon making beautiful music together!

Of course it's not silly! You're setting a wonderful example! But (and I really, really don't want to be a gloomy Gus) please be sure you get a good teacher who helps you learn the proper form. I have a dear friend who plays, and she says it is very easy to do permanent damage to hands, wrists, and arms.

Good luck to you, and have fun!

Two years ago at age 38 I started studying photography. I cannot begin to tell you the joy that this new hobby has brought me. It's not silly to learn something new at any age.

And last year, I started writing every day. Again, the joy that writing brings me is beyond words. (Ironic, since writing is all about words...)

A full-size pedal harp? Wow!

Nope, Margaret...I'd never be able to afford that. I am renting one for 4 months to see if I will actually use it, like it and think I might stick with it. Not sure how I will pay for it if I see I am enjoying it and learning something. I am renting a lower level yet still good/solid/"real" harp...not the smallest, but not anything close to a pedal harp.

I am so giddy it is sort of ridiculous :-)