Menu

What is the oldest thing in your house??

The oldest thing in my house, is, um, me!! 42 years old and counting :).

No, I do have something older that I love--it has been passed on in my family--it is a tiny model of the Taj Mahal that was carved out of a piece of the original marble leftover from the building of the real Taj Mahal. My dad gave it to me. :) I also have some statues of Hindu gods in Ivory that are old, but other than that, it is really me!

I have many heirlooms that were my great Grandmothers: an old fuschia color chair, China, hand blown glass pitchers that probably date mid 1800s.

But, my favorite old thing is my Chinese wardrobe that was given to us when we lived in China. It might be 150-200 years old. The Chinese don't say something is an antique unless it is at least 400 years old, that is why I said "old thing!"

It was taken about 1870.

We also have a couple of pieces of furniture from that era -- a Hunzinger platform rocker that was made in the late 1800s. We also have a "family" hall tree and a couple of tables/dressers from about 1890.

I'm a bit of a freak when it comes to keeping furniture from past generations of our family. No one else in the family cares but me and my mom, so they gave it to us.

In my house, I have furniture, photos or knicknacks from every decade since 1880. ;-)

Lisa

who adores sentimental "old" stuff...

I recently inherited a spinning wheel that came over from Norway when my ancestors emigrated in the late 1800s. There is a 4 digit numbers engraved into the wood which reads 1322. My Great Aunt believed this indicated how old it was but my mom believes it to be a serial number of sorts. My mom believes it to be circa 1870.

We also have many, many pictures dating back to the late 1800s. There has been a family historian in each generation since our ancestors left Europe.... I have the pictures now. :D

We have half of a mastodon tooth, and assorted fossils, including some parts of a pterosaur. Other than that it would have to be the bed my husband's grandfather was born in, made by some other family member.

I forgot, I have a mastodon tooth; I come from fisherfolk and they are pretty common in the Atlantic. I also have a few rum bottles from the 1700's courtesy of a scallop dredge. :D

Wow, who would have guessed so many of us have antique items! Very interesting thread!!

I forgot, I have one of those oval pictures with the round glass in it of my great grandparents. When my nephew was young, he asked me if it was me and my ex-husband. :lol:

We have something really, really old in our house. My son's first foster Mom has an uncle that works at a museum and he gave my ds a fragment of a dinosaur bone! So that would be either millions of years old or thousands of years old depending on your point of view.

The oldest thing in our house is either the sofa DH inherited from his grandmother which belonged originally to his great grandmother - circa 1920s (it's absolutely beautiful - it was recovered in the 1990s, but the wood is the original stuff), OR it's a little saucer my grandmother gave to me - it belonged to her when she was a little girl (she received it in 1915 or so).

What is the oldest thing in your house?

Uh . . . the house.

No, I guess it would the sock darner. It is wood and belonged to my grandmother's grandmother, Barbara. She was a Romany (gypsy) who settled down in Pennsylvania some time around the turn of the last century. I have her wedding certificate too. I'm not sure which is older. Both probably predate the house by at least 15 years.

We have something really, really old in our house. My son's first foster Mom has an uncle that works at a museum and he gave my ds a fragment of a dinosaur bone! So that would be either millions of years old or thousands of years old depending on your point of view.

You mean a fossil, right, not an actual dinosaur bone?

My great-great grandmothers complete china set, hand painted. I even have a photo of her: Barbara Petillion

My GM was born about 1890, so it was her grandmothers!

I have a very old Jenny Lind bed, as well.

However, my son's fossilized trilobite might ace them.

yup --fossils here too ;)

didja know that if you lick fossil bone your tongue kinda sticks to it?

at least, it sticks to the bone more than the rock. We were trying that down in the creek a few weeks ago. kinda eerie.....

The only man-made thing we have that i know is old is some china from my great great grandmother. don't know the date tho.

we have some "older" stuff, but nothing earlier than the 1900's.

According to the entymology professors at Auburn University and our local pest control company, we have the oldest Brown Recluses available, oh, also the youngest, middle aged and those approaching retirement. Other than that I'd say an iron bed given to my Great Great Grandmother when her home was blown away by a tornado and the Red Cross gifted her with a bed to help them re-start a new home. They think the bed is from the mid 1800's.

Tara

Oooooh, I think I win this game! We have bronze age pottery handle dating from 2500BC that my son found in an archeological dig in Turkey. Now that's pretty old!

That is very cool!!!!!

I was telling my grandmother about this thread and she reminded me of the pottery she has been saving for me.

It was given to my grandfather's family back in the days of the Revolution. Our relative...which would be my grandfather several times removed....:lol: was friends with George Washington and we have some hand made pottery pieces that were made on Mount Vernon. Grandma has been keeping them for me...I may have to drive to West Virginia to pick them up from her....:D

Our house was built (by my great great great grand uncle as a wedding gift for his bride, who bought the land for 5 shillings!) in 1794, and we have many, many old items.

One fun one was a found item: when ds was about 3, we were out in the front yard - I glanced down and saw something shiny - a coin - - dated 1787 with Carlos of Spain on it!

We've also found spear points out back - probably a thousand-plus years old. (I would have thought they were just flat rocks - but dh loves archaeology and flintknapping, so he could tell....)

My grandmother's watch. I am not exactly sure how old it is but from the style I am thinking 1940s. I also have a few family pictures that are about that old. No family heirlooms here. Of things that I bought personally, a wicker/rattan shelve/storage container that I bought in Japan about 23 years ago and a sweater of my dh's that is about that old.

I recently inherited a set of earrings that are said to go back to the 1600s. I don't know if they're really that old, but I do know that we have a picture taken in 1878 of my great-great-great grandmother wearing them, and on the back of the picture it says that she had just inherited them from her great-grandmother.

THAT is cool -- the earrings, in a photo with g-g-g-grandma!:thumbup1:

I don't know about appraisal, but I'd think that it would be very cool to have a portrait of yourself (in a similar pose?) -- holding the photo of GGGgrandma, and note the link on the back.

You might want to take macro photos of the earrings and email them to jewelry experts to see what era they appear to be from. I'd be leery of sending them anywhere, but sending photos could tell you a lot.

Lisa

Hmmmm, we have a bunch of really old stuff, LOL. I have a kitchen cabinet that belonged to the mother of a great-uncle-by-marriage of mine. It's from around the mid-1850's.

Also from about that period we have a trunk from one of my husband's grandmothers (her trusseau trunk), and a traveling trunk and cedar chest from one of his great-great-grandfathers, who my older son is named for (with his name on both). I guess those last would be from the first half of the 1800's. We also have his grandmother's sewing machine from the turn of the century.

We have two tables of one of my grandmothers from around the turn of the century.

I guess those are the oldest family pieces I have. I have other old stuff, too, LOL....