Menu

Please help me find a book my teen son will enjoy!!!

Heather in Neverland

My 14yo ds hates reading. Really hates it. As an avid reader, this breaks my heart so I am desperately trying to find books he might like.

He thought The Hunger Games Trilogy was pretty good but he didn't enjoy Divergent that much. He liked Daughter of Smoke and Bone. And his favorite was Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. He loved that book. When I asked him why he said because it was creepy and a little twisted but not overly gory or full of gratuitous sex.

He is a slow reader and gets discouraged easily. So what does your teen boy read?

My son reads a lot of manga. He's not a fan of reading either, *sigh*

Other series he has enjoyed:

Alex Rider (Horowitz)

Keys to the Kingdom (Garth Nix) - this was the first series he actually read without being asked to read daily.

Ironically, he loved the Core Classics edition of Don Quixote last year, and has decided he wants to read the unabridged book.

Indy is a tween, but he just finished the first book in the Kane Chronicle series. I ordered the next one for him and it should be here any day. He's dying for it. It was recommended by his 11 year old friend who was recommended it by his 15 year old neighbor. Indy is dyslexic and this book is over 500 pages long. He liked it so much he read it in a month. There are 3 books in the series.

My reluctant 15 year old has enjoyed...

The Hunger Games series

Artemis Fowl series

Bartimeaus Trilogy

Eragon series

Harry Potter series

He did not like Divergent at all.

He much prefers to listen to books on cd than to read them - :001_huh:

Maybe you need to find books at a lower reading level so he's not discouraged? I know my son is not the fastest reader, but when he finds a book he likes, he does stick with it. They are few and far between now, though :crying:

Oh, we love Cornelia Funke! Her Inkheart trilogy is amazing, and raises more questions than it seems it would, about the responsibilities of a creator toward his or her creation, among other things

Also, more simple, but has he read The Mysterious Benedict Society and the sequels?

Also simpler, but the Blue Baillet series, starting with (I think) Chasing Vermeer, might be intriguing. Dd didn't like them, but she was young when we introduced them. They might seem too easy.

There's also SWB's fav (among her favs), The Dark Is Rising series. These have such terrific writing, are wonderful stories, and might spark a love or at least a curiosity re Arthurian legends.

My teen boys don't do a lot of reading but have enjoyed Artemis Fowl and Harry Potter the most. Ds2 reads more than ds1 and has also enjoyed Percy Jackson (he doesn't care for Riordan's other 2 series), Mr Chickee's Funny Money (Curtis), The Supernaturalist (Colfer).

As a funny aside, he took one look at the cover of Maximum Ride and refused to read it. Said it looked stupid. :tongue_smilie: I haven't read them myself but I keep trying to find new books for him.

I've enjoyed The Maze Runner but he hasn't tried it yet.

My 14yo ds hates reading. Really hates it. As an avid reader, this breaks my heart so I am desperately trying to find books he might like.

He thought The Hunger Games Trilogy was pretty good but he didn't enjoy Divergent that much. He liked Daughter of Smoke and Bone. And his favorite was Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. He loved that book. When I asked him why he said because it was creepy and a little twisted but not overly gory or full of gratuitous sex.

He is a slow reader and gets discouraged easily. So what does your teen boy read?

That's so interesting! The breakthrough book for my dyslexic son was Miss Peregrine's. It's a gateway book! :)

I had the Wheels of time series by Robert Jordan highly recommended to me. My son wasn't much of a reader. I gave him the first two books, and he devoured them. then he got the rest himself.

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (it's a quadrology, and has a parallel series called the shadow books) the boys loved the shadow books, and they each read the main series mutlple times.

terri pratchet discworld seriles. it's very fine satire, but can be enjoyed on many levels.

does he like any of the staples? re? lord of the rings?

The Brotherband Chronicles by John Flanagan

The

Keys to the Kingdom (Garth Nix) - this was the first series he actually read without being asked to read daily.

Indy is a tween, but he just finished the first book in the Kane Chronicle series. I ordered the next one for him and it should be here any day. He's dying for it. It was recommended by his 11 year old friend who was recommended it by his 15 year old neighbor. Indy is

The Bartimeaus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud

All of these, plus the Ranger's Apprentice series, which came before the Broderbund Chronicles, are things my son has loved.

He also reads the follow-up series to Percy Jackson, the Heroes of Olympus and, of course, Harry Potter.

Things I haven't yet seen mentioned by others that my son reads/has read:

- the Dave Barry/Ridley Pearson Peter Pan spin-offs, beginning with Peter and the Starcatchers.

- the Young Samurai series by Chris Bradfod beginning with The Way of the Warrior.

- the Squire's Tale series by Gerald Morris. (Mine was a little younger when he started with these, but the protagonist is 14. So, they might be appealing to a guy that age, too.)

- Dorothy and Thomas Hoobler's series beginning with The Ghost in the Tokaido Inn. (Again, my son started reading them younger, but they feature a 14-year-old protagonist.)

His current favorite is the Enduring Flame series by Mercedes Lackey and James Mallory, beginning with The Phoenix Unchained. He read them the first time a couple of years ago but is re-reading with the idea of making himself a convention or Halloween costume based on one of the characters.