Menu

What's for dinner?

amo_mea_filiis.

That is really weird...the hospital my DD goes to sells these all the time for lunch.no fresh cilantro, tho.

Huh.... great minds and all, eh? :) I got the idea from a recipe for curried chicken lettuce wraps that I got out of a Betty Crocker book a long time ago. One time, I couldn't find any decent romaine, but had naan. Instead of making peanut sauce (like the lettuce wrap recipe), I made a yogurt sauce because a bunch of yogurt to use. Eventually, we evolved it a bit more and gave it a name.

Tonight -- Pancake dinner in honor of Shrove Tuesday.

Me too. I have a Welsh friend at work that has inspired me to have pancakes on Shrove Tuesday. A few years ago when he asked me if I was having pancakes for dinner on Shrove Tuesday, I assumed he was a little off since he was Welsh. Now, I've joined in much to the delight of my kids.

Just wait until I server fishfingers and custard on April 3rd. :D

• 1 month later...

We're having this thing we call Indian tacos.

Instead of beef, it is grilled curried chicken.

Instead of taco sauce, it is yogurt with mint, cumin and lemon.

Instead of taco shells, it is naan.

Instead of lettuce, tomato and cheese, it is lettuce, cucumber, red pepper and red onion.

ETA: I had fresh cilantro, so we added that as a topping, too. This is one of my ds's most frequent requests. He says it's even better with the cilantro. Yummy!

Audrey can I hire you to cook for me? You always have the best recipes.

We're having this thing we call Indian tacos.

Instead of beef, it is grilled curried chicken.

Instead of taco sauce, it is yogurt with mint, cumin and lemon.

Instead of taco shells, it is naan.

Instead of lettuce, tomato and cheese, it is lettuce, cucumber, red pepper and red onion.

ETA: I had fresh cilantro, so we added that as a topping, too. This is one of my ds's most frequent requests. He says it's even better with the cilantro. Yummy!

Would you mind sharing your recipe for the chicken and sauce. We're in Okinawa right now and the whole family has fallen in love with Indian food. This sounds so good!

Would you mind sharing your recipe for the chicken and sauce. We're in Okinawa right now and the whole family has fallen in love with Indian food. This sounds so good!

For the chicken, I just use some salt and a curry powder that we all like. It is a hot, madras style blend. I pound the breast flat so they'll cook quickly and evenly, then sprinkle salt all over and the curry all over the chicken. Grill or pan fry until done, then slice into thin strips.

The sauce is about a cup of plain yogurt. It can be regular or greek style. For each cup of yogurt, add a pinch of salt, then about a 1/4 teaspon of cumin, juice of 1/2 a lemon, zest of half a lemon and plenty of mint. If you have only dried, about a tablespoon will do. If you have fresh, then about 2 tablespoons finely minced will be very nice.

Dh is out of town and I'm trying very hard to save our grocery budget, so we are eating out of our freezer/pantry. I stocked up on turkeys after Thanksgiving, when they went on sale for $.29/pound. I got six HUGE potatoes for $2 at the farmers market last week, each one weighs over a pound! So tonight I roasted the turkey, with butter, salt, and garlic, made mashed potatoes with three of the potatoes and defrosted some sweet potato casserole I made when they were $.20 a pound.

Turkey was $4.14

Potatoes were $1

Sweet potatoes probably cost $1

We have plenty of leftovers for tomorrow, plus I'll have about 2 pounds of turkey bits to use in a veg/noodle soup. Ill add carrots and peas to the soup, $1. So for about $7 I have four dinners! Woot!