Menu

Book a Week in 2013 - week seven

Robin M

I was snowed in this weekend, so had lots of time to read.

Finished:

Nothing to Envy by Barbara Demick - This was my first time reading about North Korea, and it was a real eye opener. I think the opening image - a nighttime satellite photo that shows the country in complete darkness compared to the bright lights of South Korea - was the most telling part of the whole book.

Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion - My first zombie book and probably my last.

Money Secrets of the Amish by Lorilee Craker - As a lover of all things Amish, I was eager to read this one but came away disappointed. I think the author wanted to write a book about how she cut back during the recession and used the Amish angle to snag a publisher. There was very little information about the Amish except an occasional anecdote about buying sugar in bulk or small gifts at the holidays. She doesn't really apply any Amish frugality to her daily life, discussing instead how she now buys designer clothes second-hand rather than new. That is so not the point. On the plus side, the book did give me a little will-power pep talk which inexplicably made me want to go on a diet. Not a total loss, I guess.

In Progress:

I think I'll start UnWholly by Neal Shusterman; it's the sequel to Unwind, which I enjoyed last year.

Still slogging through A Tale of Two Cities on audio. Halfway done. It has picked up some, which is a relief.

Finished this Year:

17. Nothing to Envy by Barbara Demick

16. Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion

15. Money Secrets of the Amish by Lorilee Craker

14. Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

13. Confessions of a Prairie Bitch by Alison Arngrim

12. The Old Man and the Sea (Audio)

11. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (Audio)

10. Forgotten Bookmarks by Michael Popek

9. An Invisible Thread by Laura Schroff

8. Breaking Night by Liz Murray

7. The Four Story Mistake by Elizabeth Enright (Read aloud)

6. The Autobiography of an Execution by David Dow

5. A Complicated Kindness by Miriam Toews (Canada)

4. The Children of Noisy Village by Astrid Lindgren (Read aloud)

3. The Saturdays by Elizabeth Enright (Read aloud)

2. Lullabies for Little Criminals by Heather O'Neill (Canada)

1. A Walk Across the Sun by Corban Addison

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am intensely fond of Sayers, but I have always hated this one - I read it once 20+ years ago and have reread all the others multiple times, but never this one. I usually recommend starting with Clouds of Witness or Unpleasantness at the Belona Club... or else nust diving into the Harriet Vane ones - which begins with Strong Poison (there is a beautiful dramatization of the trilogy, with Edward Petherbridge as Lord Peter).

Thank you - it sounds like I chose the wrong one to start. I know so many people who love Sayers, and I want to try again. I appreciate the suggestions - I'll look them over and pick one of them. Hopefully, Round 2 will be better!

Currently reading:

If It's Not One Thing, It's Your Mother by Julia Sweeney (she was SNL's character "It's Pat")

and

At Least You're in Tuscany: A Somewhat Disastrous Quest for the Sweet Life by Jennifer Criswell

Finished to date:

14. Notes from a Coma by Mike McCormack

13. French Twist: An American Mom's Experiment in Parisian Parenting by Catherine Crawford

12. Il grande albero by Susanna Tamaro

11. Golden Boy by Abigail Tarttelin

10. Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt

9. Bliss by Kathryn Littlewood

8. Perelandra by C.S. Lewis

7. Still Alice by Lisa Genova

6. What My Mother Gave Me by Elizabeth Benedict

5. The Paris Wife by Paula McLain

4. S is for Space by Ray Bradbury

3. The Aeneid for Boys and Girls by Alfred J. Church

2. Imperfect Harmony: Singing Through Life's Sharps and Flats by Stacy Horn

1. Free Range Learning: How Homeschooling Changes Everything by Laura Grace Weldon

Finally almost back to myself again, thankfully.

You are giving me hope :)

I had inguinal (groin) hernia surgery on Friday. The pain meds made me nauseous and the medication for nausea didn't seem to be helping so I ditched everything and have relied on Jasper Fforde's The Well of Lost Plots to keep my mind off the soreness. Thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone who recommended this series. It has kept me sane the past few days.

I had inguinal (groin) hernia surgery on Friday. The pain meds made me nauseous and the medication for nausea didn't seem to be helping so I ditched everything and have relied on Jasper Fforde's The Well of Lost Plots to keep my mind off the soreness. Thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone who recommended this series. It has kept me sane the past few days.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Finally almost back to myself again, thankfully. [/color]

:grouphug: to you both.

Oliver Twist is so depressing. Not sure how much longer I'm going to last listening to the audio book. Somebody give me permission to quit. Please!

Consider it done. Permission granted. Go treat yourself to something that looks like fun off of your to-read list.

I was snowed in this weekend, so had lots of time to read.

Finished:

Nothing to Envy by Barbara Demick - This was my first time reading about North Korea, and it was a real eye opener. I think the opening image - a nighttime satellite photo that shows the country in complete darkness compared to the bright lights of South Korea - was the most telling part of the whole book.

Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion - My first zombie book and probably my last.

Money Secrets of the Amish by Lorilee Craker - As a lover of all things Amish, I was eager to read this one but came away disappointed. I think the author wanted to write a book about how she cut back during the recession and used the Amish angle to snag a publisher. There was very little information about the Amish except an occasional anecdote about buying sugar in bulk or small gifts at the holidays. She doesn't really apply any Amish frugality to her daily life, discussing instead how she now buys designer clothes second-hand rather than new. That is so not the point. On the plus side, the book did give me a little will-power pep talk which inexplicably made me want to go on a diet. Not a total loss, I guess.

In Progress:

I think I'll start UnWholly by Neal Shusterman; it's the sequel to Unwind, which I enjoyed last year.

Still slogging through A Tale of Two Cities on audio. Halfway done. It has picked up some, which is a relief.

Finished this Year:

17. Nothing to Envy by Barbara Demick

16. Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion

15. Money Secrets of the Amish by Lorilee Craker

14. Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

13. Confessions of a Prairie Bitch by Alison Arngrim

12. The Old Man and the Sea (Audio)

11. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (Audio)

10. Forgotten Bookmarks by Michael Popek

9. An Invisible Thread by Laura Schroff

8. Breaking Night by Liz Murray

7. The Four Story Mistake by Elizabeth Enright (Read aloud)

6. The Autobiography of an Execution by David Dow

5. A Complicated Kindness by Miriam Toews (Canada)

4. The Children of Noisy Village by Astrid Lindgren (Read aloud)

3. The Saturdays by Elizabeth Enright (Read aloud)

2. Lullabies for Little Criminals by Heather O'Neill (Canada)

1. A Walk Across the Sun by Corban Addison

I agree with you - Nothing to Envy was very eye opening. I see you have Breaking Night on your list. I have that one, but haven't read it. How did you like it?

Finished this week:

#7 - Breathing Lessons, by Anne Tyler. Another quick-reading page-turner that captures the human nuances in relationships.

#8 - The Time Keeper, by Mitch Albom. Quick reading; just okay.

Currently reading and almost done with:

#9 - A Civil Contract, by Georgette Heyer. A new-to-me author last year, this is the fourth book I've read. While I enjoyed the others (The Grand Sophy, Arabella, and Cotillion), I think this may be my favorite so far.

Up next might be a Chaim Potok book - not sure yet.

I finished up Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, and have started Dragonfly in Amber. I have heard rumors that the eighth book won't be coming out this year, but I sure hope that is wrong!!

I finished The New Atkins for a New You, also. I enjoyed it, and look forward to making better food choices for my health. I picked up Gary Taubes' Why We Get Fat, so I think it will be my next read on eating and health.

The list so far:

8. Dragonfly in Amber ~ reading

7. Outlander

6. The New Atkins for a New You

5. A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows

4. Liberty and Tyranny

3. Corelli's Mandolin

2. The Neverending Story

1. The Hobbit

Completed:

Book #23 - "The Lost Art of Gratitude" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #22 - "The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag" by Alan Bradley. (Canadian author, English setting.) I'm really liking Flavia. I already have the next two "checked out" from my library, waiting on my Kindle.

Book #21 - "Academic Homeschooling: How to Give Your Child an Amazing Education and Survive" by Tracy Chatters.

Book #20 - "The Comforts of a Muddy Saturday" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #19 - "The Return of the Native" by Thomas Hardy. (WEM.)

Book #18 - "The Careful Use of Compliments" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #17 - "The Right Attitude to Rain" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #16 - "Inspector Singh Investigates: A Most Peculiar Malaysian Murder" by Shamini Flint. (Singaporean author, Malaysian setting.)

Book #15 - "Friends, Lovers, Chocolate" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #14 - "Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie" by Alan Bradley. (Canadian author, English setting.)

Book #13 - "Portuguese Irregular Verbs" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/]Scottish author, German character, German/Swiss/Italian/Ireland/Indian settings.)

Book #12 - "In Cold Pursuit" by Sarah Andrews. (Antarctica setting.)

Book #11 - "Anna Karenina" by Leo Nikoleyevich Tolstoy. (Russian; or WEM challenge.)

Book #10 - "The Sunday Philosophy Club" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #9 - "The Limpopo Academy of Private Detection" by Alexander McCall Smith. (]Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #8 - "The Saturday Big Tent Wedding Party" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #7 - "The Double Comfort Safari Club" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #6 - " Tea Time for the Traditionally Built" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #5 - "Crime and Punishment" by Fydor Dostoevsky. (Russian; or WEM challenge.)

Book #4 - "The Miracle of Speedy Motors" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #3 - "The Good Husband of Zebra Drive" by Alexander McCall Smith. (]Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #2 - "Blue Shoes and Happiness" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #1 - "In the Company of Cheerful Ladies" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

I finished Teacher Man by Frank McCourt today and really, really enjoyed it. I think it was even more enjoyable because it was read by Frank McCourt himself. What fun to listen to him. It is the first book of the memoir portion of my 5/5/5 challenge for this year.

I also started reading Alice Munro's latest short story collection, Dear Life. I haven't read anything by her since high school, lo these many years ago, when I did a senior project about her work. I immediately remembered that I always felt there was something distressing about her work--all her main characters seem adrift. But she is very good at the craft of writing, so it is a good read thus far. (Oh, this is my Canadian selection for the Continental Challenge.)

I agree with you - Nothing to Envy was very eye opening. I see you have Breaking Night on your list. I have that one, but haven't read it. How did you like it?

I liked it. Definitely speaks to the resilience of children. I thought she did a great job of approaching her story without bathos and I was impressed that she could forgive her parents without making excuses for them.

I finished Murder on the Orient Express the other night and made Dh watch the Agatha Christie Doctor Who episode with me. I just love her books! I can never figure the mystery out and have fun just going along for the ride! I started Ray Bradbury's The Illustrated Man. So far it's a pretty odd book but I like his style of writing. Next up is Mere Christianity.

Completed Books

1 - All the King's Men – Robert Penn Warren

2 - A Stranger in a Strange Land – Robert Heinlein

3 - A Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood

4 - Catcher in the Rye – J.D. Salinger

5 - Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury

6 - The Grapes of Wrath – John Steinbeck

7 - Murder on the Orient Express - Agatha Christie

I've started The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey. The first chapter nearly did me in, but I kept reading simply because I couldn't "leave it" in that emotionally distressing place with the hopes that it would become less depressing, which it did. I am enjoying it, but it would be better if I had saved it for summer.

1. The Passage - Justin Cronin

2. Charing Cross Road - Helene Hanff

3. The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins

4. Catching Fire

5. Mockingjay

6. The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul - Douglas Adams

7. Unnatural Death - Dorothy Sayers

I've started The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey. The first chapter nearly did me in, but I kept reading simply because I couldn't "leave it" in that emotionally distressing place with the hopes that it would become less depressing, which it did. I am enjoying it, but it would be better if I had saved it for summer.

I read The Snow Child last year, and really enjoyed it, although I was worried about it all the way through.

I fell behind. Oh well. The two books I began in week 3 & 4 are still not finished, Pianism and The Musician's Way, I realised too late that they are not the 'read in a week' kind of books. They are the kind of book where you read a paragraph, think on it, put it into practice, re-read paragraph - repeat. I also couldn't decide on what to read next so I got sucked into reading too many samples on my kindle!

So I'm still going with them, but to get back on track this week I read 'The Importance of Being Earnest' by Oscar Wilde. Very funny! My favourite quote: "They're eating muffins, it looks like repentance." :laugh:

I've just begun 'The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes' by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and it's hooked me! After this one I'm planning to read 'John Dies At the End' by David Wong - horror/comedy! I'm looking forward to it - the sample was hilarious!

We have also just begun reading 'The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe' as our read aloud, everyone is enjoying it! I've never actually read this series before so it's fun!

This week I finished the Fagles translation of Homer's The Odyssey. I really enjoyed it. Next up The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield. I've tried this one on audio several times before without getting all that far into it. I loved what I heard, but I just can't seem to do audiobooks very well.

Completed So Far

1. Best Friends by Samantha Glen

2. Wesley the Owl by Stacey O'Brien

3. The Gift of Pets: Stories Only a Vet Could Tell by Bruce Coston

4. Nim Chimpsky: The Chimp Who Would Be Human by Elizabeth Hess

5. Last Chance to See by Douglas Adams & Mark Carwardine

6. Confessions of a Prairie Bitch by Alison Arngrim

7. Beowulf by Seamus Heaney

8. The Odyssey by Homer (Fagles translation)

Crissy, I can't do audiobooks either... my mind wanders or I get sidetracked and I miss things. Much better for me to actually read.

Finished Blue Zones... it had a lot of good information and some interesting stories, but in some ways it had too much detail, about their studies, travel plans, etc. They also highlighted so many people I got them all mixed up.

Started the kids' version of Omnivore's Dilemma. Even this version is really eye opening. It talks a lot about factory farming, cattle farming practices, the prevalence of corn in everything, and lots of other topics. He makes excellent points about how we used to be able to trace our food from farm to table, and now it goes through so many steps and so much processing that you couldn't follow it.

Started the kids' version of Omnivore's Dilemma. Even this version is really eye opening. It talks a lot about factory farming, cattle farming practices, the prevalence of corn in everything, and lots of other topics. He makes excellent points about how we used to be able to trace our food from farm to table, and now it goes through so many steps and so much processing that you couldn't follow it.

This sounds like something I should have DS13 read. I read Omnivore's Dilemma awhile ago, but I didn't realize there was a children's version. I'll have to look it up.

This sounds like something I should have DS13 read. I read Omnivore's Dilemma awhile ago, but I didn't realize there was a children's version. I'll have to look it up.

It's packed with information, but explains and defines things in very simple terms, so it's a great introduction. I'm thinking about buying a copy and doing a family read through. I have no intention of changing every last eating habit, but I would like us to become more mindful about our food choices.

After this one I'm planning to read 'John Dies At the End' by David Wong - horror/comedy! I'm looking forward to it - the sample was hilarious!

I read that last year & loved it. I thought it was pretty hilarious. I plan to read the sequel at some point this year....

ETA: In addition to The Djinn in the Nightingale's Eye by A.S. Byatt (which is gorgeously written so far), I am also reading Our Lady of Alice Bhatti by Mohammed Hanif. I am completely sucked into this story set in Karachi -- it's gritty & raw, tragic & darkly funny too. Thought I'd share a quote I read just a few minutes ago....

Noor sees Alice and Teddy walking out of the Sacred, hand in hand, and starts to suspect that love is not just blind, it's deaf and dumb and probably has an advanced case of Alzheimer's; it's unhinged.

The book description from amazon:

Mohammed Hanif delivers a shockingly funny new novel set in steaming Karachi, about second chances, thwarted ambitions and love found in the most unlikely places.

The patients of the Sacred Heart Hospital for All Ailments need a miracle. Alice Bhatti may be just what they’re looking for. She’s the daughter of a part-time healer in the French Colony, Karachi’s infamous Christian slum, and it seems she has, unhappily, inherited his part-time gift. With a bit of begrudging but inspired improvisation, Alice begins to bring succor to the hospital’s overflowing patients. But all is not miraculous. Alice is a Christian in an Islamic world, ensnared in the red tape of hospital bureaucracy, trapped by the caste system, and torn between her patients, her father and her husband—who is about to drag Alice into a situation so dangerous that perhaps not even a miracle will be able to save them.

I finished "Speaking from Among the Bones," a Flavia de Luce novel, #11. I really enjoy the series, although I didn't enjoy the ending of this one. It left somewhat unfinished, obviously hinting to another book. I like when the books don't leave me hanging.

I've also started "Lies My Teacher Told Me" and "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes." I'm listening to Sherlock Holmes; I got it from audible on the free amazon/audible deals and was surprised to discover that I had already read it. It was one of my goals to read it this year. Oops. I'm enjoying listening to it though. I always thought I wouldn't have the to listen because in the car we're always listening to DS's books, but it turns out that cleaning and cooking gives me a lot of time. Does anyone know if anyone of the Sherlock Holmes movies are based on the stories or just the character?

Consider it done. Permission granted. Go treat yourself to something that looks like fun off of your to-read list.

I vote to ditch it. And, do not go back in.... wink.giflol.gif

Thank you. Dove into the next horribly fluffy Kitty Norville series #5 Kitty and the Dead Man's Hand by Carrie Vaughn. And started listening to J. D.Robb's Celebrity in Death in the car.

I just finished East of Eden and sooo enjoyed it. It is a book that has stayed with me. Last Child in the Woods is my book for this week. With the cooking challenge I may try to squeeze in Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential. :D

Completed:

7.) East of Eden

6.) The $100 Start Up

5.) A Christmas Carol

4.) Dracula

3.) The Night Circus

2.) Switch

1.) Getting Things Done

My challenge to you is to read a book about food - a chef's memoir, history of food, etc, And since we've been traveling through Canada during the Continental challenge, be sure to check out one of Canada's best well known chef's Michael Smith and try out some of his recipes and let us know how it turned out.

I've always wanted to try his Brown-butter Mashed Potatoes so this might be the week.

Does anyone know if anyone of the Sherlock Holmes movies are based on the stories or just the character?

IMO, Jeremy Brett was the ultimate Sherlock Holmes - I can't bring myself to watch the new series. :D The series he starred in, filmed back in the '80s, was based very closely on the books.

I finished Murder on the Orient Express the other night and made Dh watch the Agatha Christie Doctor Who episode with me. I just love her books! I can never figure the mystery out and have fun just going along for the ride!

I love her books! That Dr.Who episode is one of my all time favorites. I just love the thought that instead of a sad Agatha hiding away she was actually on the wonderful adventure.

My challenge to you is to read a book about food - a chef's memoir, history of food, etc, And since we've been traveling through Canada during the Continental challenge, be sure to check out one of Canada's best well known chef's Michael Smith and try out some of his recipes and let us know how it turned out.

One of my favorite books on cooking is The Supper of the Lamb by Robert Farrar Capon (aka "The Onion Whisperer" :D ) His recipes are as good as his thoughts on food, fellowship, and the preparation of meals.

I needed a break from Dickens last week, so I decided to try The Lightning Thief by Riordan for book number 7 and reviewed it. I have several other books in my TBR stack that I've pulled from the past couple of weeks of threads either because they caught my interest or because I thought my oldest DD might possibly enjoy them. (She wants a list of new book ideas for her to read for her birthday next month, and I'm running out of classic literature selections.) I need to finish Oliver Twist this week for discussion and start The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Twain to discuss with other DD next week. Thinking I'll give The Neverending Story a try next if I can squeeze

My DD has been trying to convince me to read the Percy Jackson books for over a year now. I read your review, thank you, i think ill wait until i'm desparate and there is nothing else more interesting in the house...she own the whole series and says they are the best books ever because of the characters, so I'm guessing the books get better. In fact, i believe she said in one of them the narrator changes every chapter.

I am half-way through Defending Jacob. I really like it and will put a review in my blog by the weekend.

I have been shy to post since the first week...i'm keeping up with the reading, but not with posting reviews on my blog. I have a bunch to catch up on. I need to add the following:

Murder in the Cathedral (Eliot)

In the Beginning (Pope Benedict)

Raising Cain (Kindlon)

Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Twain)

Simplicity Parenting is on its way....hopefully I'll have it for the weekend.

IMO, Jeremy Brett was the ultimate Sherlock Holmes - I can't bring myself to watch the new series. :D The series he starred in, filmed back in the '80s, was based very closely on the books.

I like the new Sherlock because they are fun but when I think of Sherlock Holmes Jeremy Brett is who comes to mind. He was simply fantastic.

Another Jeremy Brett fan here. My husband and I had the privilege of seeing Jeremy Brett and Edward Hardwicke (who played Holmes) in a two man show in London in the late eighties. It was a highlight of our trip.

Regards,

Kareni

I have finished Macbeth and decided on a new project. I described it in this post on my blog, but in a nutshell, I have decided to work my way through some of the "greatest" mysteries of all time as chosen by John Connolly and Declan Burke (ed.s) in Books To Die For: The World's Greatest Mystery Writers on the World's Greatest Mystery Novels. Amazon has a lengthy sample -- including the full TOC -- at their site. I have read 19 of 119 books on the list already :) . I love hearing writers I love talk about writers they love (Louise Penny discussing Josephine Tey?? Tana French on Donna Tartt??), so it's a win all around imho.

FYI for mystery lovers, the 2012 Agatha Award nominees have been announced if you are looking for some new titles.

That sounds like a very fun quest!!!

Btw, after you've made your way through some of the great mysteries, I highly recommend Neil Simon's 1976 movie Murder by Death. It is a hilarious spoof of the mystery genre & of the 'greatest' mystery detectives (Hercule Poirot, Sam Spade, Miss Marple, Nick & Nora Charles, Charlie Chan) played by some great actors. Plus, you have Truman Capote as the host of the mystery weekend, Alec Guinness as the blind butler, and Nancy Walker as the deaf/mute maid. Very fun movie & a must for mystery fans.

I haven't had a chance to post last weeks books.

21) The Light Between the Oceans by ML Stedman. While I enjoyed it overall it still makes me a bit sad because of the infertility issues.

22) Hexed by Kevin Hearne. I am enjoying this series but each book takes me a really long time to get into. The first 40 pages drag then I love them. Been reading Hammered all week and just hit the fun part.

23) The Spy's Secret Family by Cindy Dees

24) Bones are Forever by Kathy Reichs. This is the latest in the Temperance series. The quality still exists after several books.

25) Undead and Unstable by MaryJanice Davidson. Love this series but the last two have been weird. I think they have gone on too long.

26) To Catch a Spinster by Megan Bryce. Fun free kindle read.

27) Wicked Business by Janet Evanovich. I am such a fan of hers but this one didn't interest me. The only reason I finished it was it was the only book I took in the car. Enough said.

28) Never Tell a Lie by Halle Ephrin. Really enjoyed it. Good page turner.

Sorry for the negative reviews. While in the US I catch up on book series and authors which I enjoyed for years. My expectations were high this week unfortunately!