Menu

Have you ever noticed that when some people change their screen name...

Parrothead

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about that, but I'm so confused. I keep remembering different people whom I haven't seen in a while, but for all I know, they are here under a new handle. I'm kinda oblivious sometimes, so I hardly ever make the connection that Person B is the same Person A who went missing. I only noticed it on my own with one poster, and now that person is also missing, so I'm not sure if they changed hats again or if they are out of the picture completely.

I think the picture and screen name create an image themselves. Like "parrothead." Surely you are a fun person to be around, one who knows how to put life in perspective. Now if you changed your name to "vulturebutt" it would probably create a different mood. No?

Guest inoubliable

I think the picture and screen name create an image themselves. Like "parrothead." Surely you are a fun person to be around, one who knows how to put life in perspective. Now if you changed your name to "vulturebutt" it would probably create a different mood. No?

Vulturebutt. :smilielol5:

:lol:

Now I'm secretly hoping Chucki will change her name to Vulturebutt just to see if she turns on us. ;)

LOL :lol:

Glad I swallowed my coffee before I read this!

Interesting thread-- I “shifted†my personality, partly due to life experiences, partly due to changing my belief system! I now score differently on personality quizzes. Hahaha. I am sure it’s not that much difference, but there is a shift. I then changed my screen name to celebrate my new found freedom. Tee hee.

Maybe other people who have changed also wanted their new avatars/names to reflect that. Hmm, it’s a thought! We are also constantly growing and learning new things..I do believe we sometimes change to reflect that experience.

Bwa hahaha!! LOL, :smilielol5:

Interesting thread-- I “shifted†my personality, partly due to life experiences, partly due to changing my belief system! I now score differently on personality quizzes. Hahaha. I am sure it’s not that much difference, but there is a shift. I then changed my screen name to celebrate my new found freedom. Tee hee.

Maybe other people who have changed also wanted their new avatars/names to reflect that. Hmm, it’s a thought! We are also constantly growing and learning new things..I do believe we sometimes change to reflect that experience.

Bwa hahaha!! LOL, :smilielol5:

Well, carp! You changed too? Off to see who you used to be.

This. I have no idea who they are any more, so I don't notice.

I notice only because they have large post counts for newbies and their new persona is "off". So I go to their page wondering "Who is this person?"

Then come to find out I knew them when... and they were totally different.

It doesn't happen with every name change. Just some.

Not really. There are a lot times where I read something and think "that sounds like so and so", and go check. Sure enough, it's someone who changed their name.

Chucki- you are correct that you are forbidden from changing your name. But....vulturebutt.... :smilielol5: :smilielol5:

i'd love to change mine...but NOT to vulturebutt!

Okay, so since I switched screen names recently, I'm now wondering if *I* am the one you're thinking is different, and why. Nope. Same old cantankerous me. The old screen name just doesn't fit with who I am anymore, and I have cabin fever and needed a change, and I had the song going through my head for days, and dd just finished reading LOTR and watching the movies, so.....ta-dah!

Okay, so since I switched screen names recently, I'm now wondering if *I* am the one you're thinking is different, and why. Nope. Same old cantankerous me. The old screen name just doesn't fit with who I am anymore, and I have cabin fever and needed a change, and I had the song going through my head for days, and dd just finished reading LOTR and watching the movies, so.....ta-dah!

I love the Ents...they're one of my favorites along with Tom Bombadil. So I love your change.

Since I'm new, I wouldn't know if you name changed on me or not! I do change my avatar and siggy pic a lot though. Will that freak people out?

When my DH and I first started dating, my family decided to switch names on him at a family wedding. I'm so glad he stuck with me after that!!!

No, because I just can't keep track when people change their names and I can't remember who they used to be (If I happen to check even). Interesting hypothesis though.

Same here. And I don't really care. I actually like the option to change. It kinda makes it so everyone's comments stand on their own, not on whatever reputation the poster may (or may not) have.

Maybe it's not the personality of the poster but the changed nature in the perceptions of the reader. Getting rid of the preconceived ideas we have of someone and allowing that person's post /attitude to be judged on that day and not things that were said (or not said) (or misaid) in the past is liberating, for all involved.

I can't comment about this forum, but on another forum I went to, I saw this happen. I tried an experiment and I was shocked. I turned off all siggies and avatar pictures and surfed for a week. I was surprised at the posters that bugged me (some were friends and I was overlooking some snarkiness) and one was actually a person I did not like or agree with at all and I was answering her without the preconceived notions I had. It was very enlightening and made me work harder at not glossing over or adding intent into comments.

I have never changed my name, and I'm sure some folks still hold something against me from back in my newbie days. Not that I really care, but it is always predictable who's going to automatically go negative on whatever I say.

"It's a lovely sunny day."

"Maybe where you are, but you don't speak for the rest of us. Some of us are dealing with fog and rain and cold and nast. Get over yourself. Grow a brain. Leave me alone."

Since I'm new, I wouldn't know if you name changed on me or not! I do change my avatar and siggy pic a lot though. Will that freak people out?

When my DH and I first started dating, my family decided to switch names on him at a family wedding. I'm so glad he stuck with me after that!!!

I definitely associate people with their avatars rather than their names so, yes, I'm always thrown when I see your new pic. But then I see your daughter . . . So, no, don't change both at once!

I have never changed my name, and I'm sure some folks still hold something against me from back in my newbie days. Not that I really care, but it is always predictable who's going to automatically go negative on whatever I say.

"Maybe where you are, but you don't speak for the rest of us. Some of us are dealing with fog and rain and cold and nast. Get over yourself. Grow a brain. Leave me alone."

Ouch. I've dealt with that too and it is not fun. I have learned that for the most part it says more about them than it does about you.

I definitely associate people with their avatars rather than their names so, yes, I'm always thrown when I see your new pic. But then I see your daughter . . . So, no, don't change both at once!

LOL - okay. I will most likely change back to the other avatar soon - I'm not as thrilled with my hair color as I was when I first got it done, and I look like someone poked me with my eyes so open. LOL

I "know" you from the photo of your beautiful dd in your signature. I smile every time I see her picture! :001_wub:

Awww, thank you!!!! SHe's growing up so fast. I swear it was just yesterday I had a picture of her in her bassinet in my siggy!!! She'll be 10 on Monday!!!!! :ohmy:

I hate it when people do things like that. :angry:

I think you're nice. :)

I've thought about changing my name because it wouldn't be hard for anyone who knows me other places - online or IRL - to make the connection to who I am. But then I'd have to remember a new name (or does your sign-in not change?), and there's nothing that really speaks to me.

Although...just as I was typing that, a poem I was thinking about last night popped into my head and gave me an idea..."Nothing Gold".