Menu

If you are religious may I ask you a question?

MommaOfalotta

First off, I was born and raised in the same church all of my life. Now that I am a little older I am starting to get really curious about other demoninations/religions. I have am totally happy with my religion, beliefs, etc but I am wondering about the differences between all of them. I could have posted this on the self-education board I suppose, but this one seems more active.

SO.. my question for you:

Is there a book/link/website, etc that you would suggest to me if I wanted to read about your beliefs to see the similarities/differences compared to others? Im not asking anyone to go into detail here.. I know I could google it, I just want to make sure that what I am reading and committing to memory is an accurate overview of each denomination or "branch"? So I figured the best way to be sure is to ask actual believers...

Hopefully this doesn't get misunderstood. Im not trying to insult or bash anyone.. I am honestly curious and wish to learn more.

ETA: Most of my family are Christians and they believe the same for the most part... but they disagree in some areas and Im not sure if its because its a different denomination or what. (This is what led me to ask) I have a few family members that believe heavily in interpreting dreams, visions, etc.. the other half while they believe God gives you warnings etc, is a little more... old school? Not sure if thats the right word. I hope Im not being too confusing, lol.

If you want a very broad overview, I think the wikipedia article here is an ok place to start, provided you don't marry yourself to it being absolutely correct and imprimatur. I like the overview and the sources cited can be perused at your leisure if you want to go in more depth to how the authors got there.

ETA: For Christianity, this is also a good quick comparison of many denominations but with some sects even churches with similar names can have very different leanings and some have no "official" stance and leave a lot open to personal revelation.

www.mormon.org Or just feel free to ask. We have a social group thread, so pop by any time. :)

Or lds.org for more depth and detail (but also greater volume and is set up more as a resource for church members and not as easy to use for comparing basics).

And I second Diane's invitation, and am also happy to answer questions via PM. :)

Also, I'm with you, the similarities and differences are fascinating, even though I'm very happy where I am and have no intention of ever changing.

http://www.amazon.com/Tao-Pooh-Te-Piglet-Wisdom/dp/0416199259/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1360195253&sr=1-2&keywords=the+tao+of+pooh+and+the+te+of+piglet (Always a good read.)

http://www.amazon.com/Paganism-Introduction-Earth-Centered-Religions/dp/0738702226 (The best general pagan info book.)

Paganism is an umbrella term for a huge range of belief systems, so if you want more than a general textbook explanation, you have to either read a lot of personal blogs, or ask on here. However, if you can commit these few things to memory, even if you never read another word on the topic, you'll know more about paganism than most:

1. Wicca is a branch of Paganism, so a sentence saying that X is something Wiccans and Pagans do, is like saying X is something Methodists and Christians do.

2. Not all witches are Wiccan.

3. Men can be witches too.

4. Pagans have ethics. There isn't a centrally decided upon code of conduct, but it's not some kind of hexing free for all!

To learn about Orthodox Christianity, read The Orthodox Church, by Timothy Ware. The first part is history, the second part, beliefs. It is irenic in presentation and accessible in language and tone.

And then read Father Arseny, The Scent of Holiness or Facing East (all books) to see how the ancient faith is lived out. Doing so gives a good complementary picture of what the Orthodox faith is all about. We converted three years ago after having never really heard about Orthodoxy (in any kind of detail) prior to that.

ETA -- some online stories describing the lives of holy ones can be found here.

Great thread. I've got a million windows open in my browser trying to read everything!

Now I've got a specific question: Anglican and Orthodox gals - what do you believe with respect to Angels? Or anyone else even. I'm curious because Angels facinate me.

Great thread. I've got a million windows open in my browser trying to read everything!

:iagree:

I haven't read everything yet.. but I am wondering about beliefs on specific topics also. I will read up online and do some googling.. but I may be popping up in some social groups with questions! :)

ETA: aggieamy, Angels are one of the many topics I would like to get input on. Also speaking in tongues, prophetic visions/dreams.. I can think of quite a few. These are things that my church hasn't touched much on since I have been of the age to really wonder. Ive heard mixed feelings.. I guess Im just wondering if each denomination/church has their own stance on these topics or if it is more of an individual belief/non-belief?

Now I've got a specific question: Anglican and Orthodox gals - what do you believe with respect to Angels? Or anyone else even. I'm curious because Angels facinate me.

Meaning what, exactly? We believe in them. There are several "orders" (levels) of heavenly beings. We believe each of us receives a guardian angel at baptism, and we can ask for their protection each day. The angels have feast days on the liturgical calendar. Just not sure what your specific wondering is. :)

ETA -- I found this at the Greek Orthodox website.

Angels. (Gr. Angelos, "messenger"). Bodiless beings, purely spirits, created by God before man. They are superior in nature and intelligence to man; and, like man, they have understanding and free will. Some of them are appointed to guard the faithful (guardian angels). Angels are grouped in nine orders (tagmata) as follows: Angels; Archangels; Principalities; Powers; Virtues; Dominations; Thrones; Cherubim; Seraphim. In the Orthodox worship, every Monday is dedicated to the angels.

Meaning what, exactly? We believe in them. There are several "orders" (levels) of heavenly beings. We believe each of us receives a guardian angel at baptism, and we can ask for their protection each day. The angels have feast days on the liturgical calendar. Just not sure what your specific wondering is. :)

Angels. (Gr. Angelos, "messenger"). Bodiless beings, purely spirits, created by God before man. They are superior in nature and intelligence to man; and, like man, they have understanding and free will. Some of them are appointed to guard the faithful (guardian angels). Angels are grouped in nine orders (tagmata) as follows: Angels; Archangels; Principalities; Powers; Virtues; Dominations; Thrones; Cherubim; Seraphim. In the Orthodox worship, every Monday is dedicated to the angels.

The Orthodox spot was blank on the chart I was looking at so I was wondering if it was similar to my beliefs. Thanks answering.

Kelsy, forgive! I didn't see the part about wanting online resources. In addition to the book that Patty Joanna mentioned above, I'd highly recommend perusing the few topics/categories at the site linked below to see an overview of the Orthodox faith, mainly (or at least starting with), "Introducing Orthodoxy."

http://www.antiochian.org/discover

I just finished reading this book on angels by an Orthodox abbess, Mother Alexandra (Princess Ileana of Romania, great-granddaughter of both Queen Victoria and Czar Alexander II)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0932506100

If you google Mother Alexandra, you can find information on her writings and experience.

Why at Baptism? Is this because of the scripture of the holy spirit coming down at Jesus at Baptism?

Just curious.

I have always been taught we have a guardian angel, and honestly I am not sure of the scriptural reason, and it wasn't tied to baptism but to salvation.

I am not sure what I believe about that anymore. I do believe that angel are ministering spirits sent by God to protect and guide us, but I am not sure about a personal angel.

Dawn

When I was a Fundamentalist (IFB and IFCA aka non-denominational bible church) I would have recommended The Fundamentals (I did not find it very Reformed though).

When we considered a Conservative Mennonite sect, we read: Kauffman's Doctrines of the Bible

When I was a Calvinist/Puritan/Covenanter, I would have recommended: Calvin's Institutes of the Christian Religion, Scottish Confession of Faith, Westminster Confession of Faith and Catechisms, Heidelberg Catechism, and Wayne Grudem's Systematic Theology. Warning: Reformed are longwinded people (I'm being self deprecating here as I've been amoung them and just as longwinded). The Shorter Catechism under Westminster would be the shortest and simplest. Many Reformed do not even get through these, but they are good books for looking things up topically if you want to know what Reformed believe and teach ;)

As an Orthodox convert: Common Ground, The Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church, The Orthodox Church. There are two books I have in storage, but cannot find online right now called What Orthodox Christians Believe and What Orthodox Christians Believe About the Bible (great question and answer type books). Good websites would be: http://orthodoxinfo.com/ http://goarch.org/ http://www.antiochia...ian.org/����and our favourite for podcasts and radio http://ancientfaith.com/

I am just a plain Christian. My salvation rests entirely on the grace of Jesus Christ and is not of works, Baptism and works are demonstrations of our faith, not essential for salvation. We basically go with whatever's in the Bible, with no traditions of man added in. I attend one of the branches of Calvary Chapel here in Southern California. You can read our statement of faith at the main Calvary website, Calvary Chapel Costa Mesa. I can't get it to link on my ipad, but this is the address.

http://www.calvarychapelcostamesa.com/new/about-us/

There are also many radio stations that carry Christian pastors. My pastor has his own program called Real Radio, and there are a lot of shows on internet tv on Hischannel.

Let me know if you have any questions. I have studied apologetics extensively while seeking my own faith, so I may be able to help and/or guide you to where you can find the info you're looking for.

God Bless!

Baptism and works are demonstrations of our faith, not essential for salvation. We basically go with whatever's in the Bible, with no traditions of man added in.

Says Martin Luther. ;) I wonder what Christians did for 1500 years before he came along? Or before anyone could read the Bible?

Why at Baptism? Is this because of the scripture of the holy spirit coming down at Jesus at Baptism?

In Orthodoxy, that's when one has their sins washed away and becomes part of the church. It's the beginning of salvation (the process continues throughout life).

A word of warning about Episcopalians/Anglicans -- there is quite a bit of disagreement on a number of issues, which has led to many splinter groups. You could easily find the 'official' church website of the U.S., but it would not give you the complete picture at all.

http://www.episcopalchurch.org

Episcopalians are an interesting bunch. I had no idea they held such a diverse set of beliefs, until recently. My in-laws are Episcopalian; my FIL is more traditional, while my MIL is very New Age..I finally understand exactly why that works for them. I always thought my MIL was way off in left field, apparently not so much. Hahaha.

(This comment was not meant to be disrespectful towards Episcopalians, I think it’s a very interesting religion and I like them a lot.)

Martin Luther did not say that. Baptism is essential and saving. Specificly about baptism: http://www.lcms.org/...?src=lcm&id=537

http://lcms.org/belief-and-practice

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think she was talking about baptism, she was talking about the fact that for the first hundreds years or so of Christianity, the Bible wasn't readily available to the regular person, nor did the apostles and the early church have a Bible to read, so what did they base their faith on? Traditions, until it was written down. So when one says "Bible only", one wonders about the earlier Christians who didn't have that Bible, and what did they base their belief on?