Menu

Going back to college at 38 yo...

maddykate

Is this crazy? I have always wanted to be a nurse and have taken a few classes over the last twenty years, but for various reasons (having babies, numerous military moves, bad timing) never got my degree. All those above reasons have cleared away... Kids are much older and more independent, we have retired from the military and settled down, and I am basically wide open with time to devote to going back to school, as dh is here to help school the kiddos while I am gone.

I am worried because I have an old brain :). Or so it feels. Is it crazy to go back now? Any folks that have btdt? How did it work out for you?

I went at 43 and loved it. The young girls were my dd's age but they treated me like a peer. I felt more capable with my classes than I did when I was 20. Unfortunately, I did not finish my degree. I had 3 teens homeschooling and I was out of the house too much. I was an education major and had to spend a lot of time at the Montessori school and the Boys and Girls Club. I was going to take off a semester, but then didn't go back. I'd go back again if I didn't have kids close to college themselves. I can't justify the cost for myself anymore.

Go for it. :)

It's not crazy at all! There are lots of options for an adult returning to school. College isn't just for the 18-22 set anymore. Many community colleges are very flexible and adult-learner friendly; of course, there are also several good online options these days, too. If you are wanting to complete your bachelor's, I would suggest starting at a community college--it's a lot cheaper to get your core credits out of the way through a local community college. Here in my neck of the woods, you can get your associate's through the community college and then transfer all credits seamlessly to the state university to complete your bachelor's. It is a lot cheaper this way and, if you're worried about returning to school after a long hiatus, you may find that the community college is a bit more gentle way to get back in the swing of things. Bonus with our local programs: most of the degree options can be completed either in the classroom or entirely online (or a combination of both).

You should totally go for it!

no, not crazy at all. i'm 41 & i wouldn't think twice about going back to school! definitely go for it!!! :)

on a side note -- when i was in college, there was a man in his mid 70's attending there. he was working on his 6th degree or something. as a senior citizen, he could attend any university for free in GA, so he just collected degrees for fun. he said it kept him young. i thought it was awesome!

A friend of mine went back in her early 40's. She had been doing quite well but then got very ill, missed too much, and was cut from the program. She hasn't given up. She found another program at another school.

My mil went back to college in her 70's. Just for fun. :thumbup:

I've had a number of older students in my classes at the cc. I don't know that I've ever been the oldest in the classroom.

Years ago I taught a woman in her 50s who had just gotten out of an abusive relationship and was doing things she'd always wanted to do. She was hoping to get into the nursing program. I don't know if she did, but she did well in my class.

So many young students now have entitlement issues. I don't see that as much as a rule with the older students.

Don't worry about your age - just do your best!

If you are going into nursing, acceptance into the programs can be tough. Be sure you read everything on the website about requirements & sometimes there can be ways to get into the program faster. Attend any informational meetings you can so you know what you're getting into.

And good luck!

I did/am doing exactly that. And I didn't have one single credit to my name before age 39. It is a slow way of doing it, but I am very happy I'm doing it.

No old brain problems, either. I find most of my studies interesting and have gotten an A in every class but one B in a math class. Not to brag. But I am proud of it! :coolgleamA:

I did/am doing exactly that. And I didn't have one single credit to my name before age 39. It is a slow way of doing it, but I am very happy I'm doing it.

No old brain problems, either. I find most of my studies interesting and have gotten an A in every class but one B in a math class. Not to brag. But I am proud of it! :coolgleamA:

You should be proud! I am concerned that I won't keep up... my study skills were horrible when I was first a college student. This is very much on my mind.

You should be proud! I am concerned that I won't keep up... my study skills were horrible when I was first a college student. This is very much on my mind.

I really think a lot of it is that I'm willing to put in effort that younger students are often not. I also find many things interesting, so that helps. For example, when I was 20, I probably would not have cared one bit about choosing a Human Body System and relevant disorder for Biology. But with my "advanced life experience" ;) , I chose the Central Nervous System and Parkinson's Disease. My mother has PD, so it had importance that it would not have had 20 years earlier.

It's relatively easy to learn something that has interesting features and/or relevance to your life. I think that is an ace the older student has in hand. :thumbup1:

Thank you all for the encouragement! I am looking into programs in my area and am quite excited about it. As a previous poster suggested, it looks like the CC is the way to go for my Associates degree and then transfer to an University for higher degrees. Hopefully, I will be able to get started in March.

Thanks again!

The only thing that might be hard is the computer learning (at least it was for me because it required more focus). I went to nursing school the first time for my associates at age 19, finished at 23. I finished my bachelors at age 38 and now I am 39 and just started my masters. I can totally relate kids, work, etc. Good luck!

Thank you all for the encouragement! I am looking into programs in my area and am quite excited about it. As a previous poster suggested, it looks like the CC is the way to go for my Associates degree and then transfer to an University for higher degrees. Hopefully, I will be able to get started in March.

Thanks again!

:thumbup1:

I'm in my 30s too and will be going back to college in June for my Masters. Good Luck to us both!

Not crazy at all. My only concern would be the nursing itself - it seems like a physically demanding job. I know that I personally would not be up to it in my present condition! So I would want to know how long it might take to move into a more admin position, how likely that is, etc.