Menu

Trader Joe's Fans...

athomemom

I've shopped at TJs for 22 years, minus the 2.5 years we lived in TJ-deprived Dallas.

I do 90% or more of my shopping there. Grassfed beef, regular steaks, chicken (whole or frozen parts), frozen veg/fruit, wine, beer, fresh produce, dairy (I love Kerrygold grassfed butter), eggs....just about everything, including most toiletries.

I do prefer Whole Foods for some produce, or if I need a specialty item for a particular recipe. But for everyday shopping, it's a big run to TJs once a week, and that's it. (We do buy local grassfed beef/lamb/goat/chickens/eggs from a rancher around here, and also raw milk. I also get CSA veggies delivered once a week but I round it out with TJs or WF.)

Things we regularly buy at TJs where the price and/or the quality are vastly superior to what we can get elsewhere:

organic butter

heavy cream

some cheeses

nuts and dried fruits (Costco sometimes beats on price but it's very close)

bacon

coffee

100% cranberry juice ($4 a bottle! I've seen people with a whole cartful of just this!)

In general, I find everything there to be a good price for the quality with few exceptions. It's also small and friendly and clean and the prices and stock are very, very consistent. Shopping there is quick, easy, and predictable. I get way more than my above list there but those are the things I would make a special trip for.

I've shopped at TJs for 22 years, minus the 2.5 years we lived in TJ-deprived Dallas.

I do 90% or more of my shopping there. Grassfed beef, regular steaks, chicken (whole or frozen parts), frozen veg/fruit, wine, beer, fresh produce, dairy (I love Kerrygold grassfed butter), eggs....just about everything, including most toiletries.

I do prefer Whole Foods for some produce, or if I need a specialty item for a particular recipe. But for everyday shopping, it's a big run to TJs once a week, and that's it. (We do buy local grassfed beef/lamb/goat/chickens/eggs from a rancher around here, and also raw milk. I also get CSA veggies delivered once a week but I round it out with TJs or WF.)

I haven't been shopping there that long, but I lived near one of the first ones on the East Coast, I think, when we were engaged about 11 years ago and I learned to cook with TJs being the easiest store. I've always lived near one since and it's just kind of the way I operate. If I can't get it at TJ's, it's probably not something I cook!

Bonus: since it is small and friendly, dh is happy to do the shopping for me on his way home from work!

We buy almost all of our groceries there (we have our own beef and eggs though). The only thing I find that I miss there is whole milk yogurt for my littles.

I also like the small size of the store. It is enjoyable to shop there.

They have whole milk yogurt at mine. I get a large tub of Vanilla. There are also 6 packs of smaller child size flavors such as Banana and Blueberry.

The things I make a regular trip to Trader Joe's for are:

Dried fruits and raw nuts

Cheese

Tortilla Chips

Frozen veggies/frozen fish

Fresh Mild Salsa

TJ version of cheerios/corn flakes/etc.

Powerberries (they are delightful)

Gravenstein Applesauce-this is by far the best jarred applesauce ever.

Tomato and red pepper soup

Sunflower seed butter

Holiday time-Peppermint Jo-Jo's.

I am sure there are other things I buy there fairly regularly but the above is what comes to mind. For the high ticket items-dried fruits and nuts their prices are the best around. It is also the only place I can get that applesauce.

They have whole milk yogurt at mine. I get a large tub of Vanilla. There are also 6 packs of smaller child size flavors such as Banana and Blueberry.

32 oz containers of organic European-style yogurt (plain--I buy both whole milk and nonfat). I like that it's just milk and yogurt cultures--no pectin or anything else added.

Oooh, thanks .... I must have been overlooking some of these items. I only buy single-serve yogurts for vacation, so I knew about those ... but will look closer for the other products. Thanks!

TJ's is small and friendly. The prices are competitive and the quality for most things is high. I do buy as much as I can locally - eggs, milk, meats, poultry and veggies. I can get most of the rest of my grocery list at TJ's. I shop there every other week, with Walmart in between (which I really don't like, but it's cheap and they have stuff we need).

Things I buy there regularly:

frozen fish/seafood (no phosphates!)

maple syrup

yogurt (full fat, organic, plain)

nuts and dried fruit

dark chocolate

produce

cheese

baking supplies

O's cereal

pantry items - grains, legumes, condiments

bar soap

Things I buy there occasionally:

meats

sweet treats - choc covered nuts, ice cream etc.

beer

chips

hummus

applesauce

milk

We are moving next month back home and since we've been gone a TJ's has come to our area. Tell me what things should not be missed or rather what is ALL the hype about TJ's?!

Kim, you'll like it. I shop every other OR every week at TJ's. Well, there's so much - where do I begin. Tomato/Roasted Red Pepper soup, evoo, nuts galore - of all kinds, eggs (organic), chicken breast, gr. beef, their Greek-style 0 % fat yogurt, organic sugar (brown and white), gf bread, Italian round bread, black cod, wild caught/sockeye Alaskan salmon fillet, pumpkin ice cream when in season, Caribbean and coconut floes, coconut water, frozen veggies and appetizers, soaps, great snacks (new found favorite - lentil/potato curls), cheeses (they are the best b/c they do not add the hormone in their eggs, cheeses, butter, etc), organic butter - and that's just a partial list. I have many more things I buy. Now I don't buy everything in one visit. This is a partial from my master list. Happy shopping!

I haven't been shopping there that long, but I lived near one of the first ones on the East Coast, I think, when we were engaged about 11 years ago and I learned to cook with TJs being the easiest store. I've always lived near one since and it's just kind of the way I operate. If I can't get it at TJ's, it's probably not something I cook!

Bonus: since it is small and friendly, dh is happy to do the shopping for me on his way home from work!

Yup, for the most part that's us, too. I love how many of their products are a short ingredient list and reduced preservatives.

Sorry if this has been said and I missed it...

Trader Joe's stores are small, not at all overwhelming, and they have an excellent return policy. If you don't like something they give you your money back. I've even done this without having the item with me. So my advice is go and browse and don't be afraid to try things!

I wasn't that impressed (we had one open about 45 min away last fall) I found nothing worth making a special trip for. Their cheese prices aren't any better than our local, (state specific chain) grocery store. Bananas were only 19 cents a lb, but they all had brown spots and didn't look great. The one really great price I found was on Honey crisp apples. We paid $1.29 each at TJ's, and they are usually about $5 ea here. JoJo's were ok, but I like Oreos better, and Glutino sandwhich cookies are better than both. I wasn't impressed w/ their limited selection of Gluten free items either. I found the orange chicken that everyone raves about to be gross, but my dc liked it.

The one thing I did love was cookie butter. Seriously good stuff, and seriously bad for you! I don't know how people can do the majority of their shopping there, as for us it would be only about 5%. I didn't even see paper products at this one. Maybe ours is just smaller than normal? Oh, I did like their hummus.

So, the few things I might pick up if I'm over there are:

honeycrisp apples and some other produce

hummus

maybe some jojo's for the dc as a treat because they are cheaper than oreos

cookie butter!!

I wasn't that impressed (we had one open about 45 min away last fall) I found nothing worth making a special trip for. Their cheese prices aren't any better than our local, (state specific chain) grocery store. Bananas were only 19 cents a lb, but they all had brown spots and didn't look great. The one really great price I found was on Honey crisp apples. We paid $1.29 each at TJ's, and they are usually about $5 ea here. JoJo's were ok, but I like Oreos better, and Glutino sandwhich cookies are better than both. I wasn't impressed w/ their limited selection of Gluten free items either. I found the orange chicken that everyone raves about to be gross, but my dc liked it.

The one thing I did love was cookie butter. Seriously good stuff, and seriously bad for you! I don't know how people can do the majority of their shopping there, as for us it would be only about 5%. I didn't even see paper products at this one. Maybe ours is just smaller than normal? Oh, I did like their hummus.

So, the few things I might pick up if I'm over there are:

honeycrisp apples and some other produce

hummus

maybe some jojo's for the dc as a treat because they are cheaper than oreos

cookie butter!!

Ours carries toilet paper, paper towels, liquid hand soap, laundry soap, dishwashing soap (by hand and for the dishwasher), hand lotions, bar soap, body wash, shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, etc.

We LOVE Joe-Joe's, especially the peppermint ones at Christmas time. I buy almost everything organic, and my TJs has a huge selection of organic food. Even the frozen veggies I get are usually organic, as is the produce (that I buy). Potatoes, sweet potatoes, peppers, bananas, apples, pears, kiwis, berries, basil, onions, etc - organic heaven. ;-)

Their wine prices are quite good, as is the selection, but that might not be a factor for everyone. I also like their organic selection of dairy, including milk, butter, sour cream, & yogurt.

Oh, and the dark chocolate peanut butter cups. And the sea-salt & dark chocolate-covered almonds. Oh my. :drool5:

I have a list by aisle that I made, of all the things I buy every week. Is that a little over-the-top, do you think? :laugh: :lol:

I have a list by aisle that I made, of all the things I buy every week. Is that a little over-the-top, do you think? :laugh: :lol:

Not at all! Unless we're both over the top.

I have probably bought, at some point, everything mentioned in this thread so far. The only thing I've ever been disappointed in at TJ's was their coconut cream which is a fairly new product and is truly nasty, in my opinion. I didn't even think to get a refund on it but I'm sure I could have.

Ours carries toilet paper, paper towels, liquid hand soap, laundry soap, dishwashing soap (by hand and for the dishwasher), hand lotions, bar soap, body wash, shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, etc.

We LOVE Joe-Joe's, especially the peppermint ones at Christmas time. I buy almost everything organic, and my TJs has a huge selection of organic food. Even the frozen veggies I get are usually organic, as is the produce (that I buy). Potatoes, sweet potatoes, peppers, bananas, apples, pears, kiwis, berries, basil, onions, etc - organic heaven. ;-)

Their wine prices are quite good, as is the selection, but that might not be a factor for everyone. I also like their organic selection of dairy, including milk, butter, sour cream, & yogurt.

Oh, and the dark chocolate peanut butter cups. And the sea-salt & dark chocolate-covered almonds. Oh my. :drool5:

Elinor, 22 years! WOW! WOW! WOW! I JUST started shopping at TJ's in the last 3-5 years. The Jo Jo's are sooooooo good. I also like their peppermint disks (all natural) - they taste so much better than the ordinary peppermint now. I forgot we stumbled across the molasses graham crackers. Look out - they are good. Hummus - spicey and yummy. Like you I buy all organic when available. Our TJ's carries a large selection of organic foods. To the OP, there are so many other things I'm forgetting that I buy. Have a blast. Elinor, do.not.go.there.with.the.peanut.butter.cups.or........or.......or.............. :) I haven't had candy bars or potato chips in 2 months. PB CUPS......................................oh how I miss them. Please eat a bag for me.

You knew I'd have to reply to this one!

For sure - dark chocolate almonds with sea salt & turbinado sugar. YES!

Cookie butter is pretty darn awesome, too. Oh, and the Meyer Lemon Cookie Thins.

The sweet & spicy pecans, the hot & sweet mustard and the wine...

That's all I can comment on since you don't we don't have a TJ here and I've only been twice. Out of state. Only once with wine.

I used to love TJs until our second boy grew bigger-the packaging for most items is quite small. I feel like I have to fill 2 carts to get enough food to last us a week (and we are a family of 4).

Love the frozen fish, prices on sauces, raw goat's milk cheese, grass fed beef, almond butter, nuts and dried fruit, coconut milk ice cream and yogurt.

BUT- their produce is just not very good. It's all pre-packaged and everything seems to be from Mexico. I prefer While Foods for produce these days, and they also have bulk bins, while TJs does not.

I actually don't shop there very often anymore and we live less than 10min from one.

Cookie butter is pretty darn awesome, too. Oh, and the Meyer Lemon Cookie Thins.

That's all I can comment on since you don't we don't have a TJ here and I've only been twice. Out of state. Only once with wine.

Now you and Elinor are getting on my nerves.......... ROTFL! YES, how could I forget Cookie Butter. I actually had to stop buying it....why, you ask. Well, let's just say it didn't stay in the cupboard long after arriving home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do you know they have a C.B. crunchy now? Or, maybe you don't want to know that.

I love Trader Joe's. I shop there almost exclusively. Their produce does leave something to be desired so when the farmers market is open I shop there. In the winter we just live off their applesauce and jarred peaches and salad bags and some frozen veggies. Today though we were eating the avocados I got last week. They were just at the exact right point of ripeness and they were DELICIOUS! I mean scrumptious! My dh is addicted to their chocolate chip dunker cookies. And I don't know if other places carry this but they have the best red wine I've ever had. Rioja Gran Familia. I have to be careful not to chug it! LOL! And I don't even care for red wine.

I also love it because it is small and has just enough variety but isn't overwhelming. I love all the seafood and fish. And the Empire kosher chicken they carry is the best I've ever tasted.

Sheryl ~ I didn't know that since my time in TJ's has been extremely limited, but I do dream of shopping there leisurely one day. They recently opened a store in the town I moved from. So sad. Now, if they'll just come to Oklahoma!

Laura, I hope you're able to enjoy that shopping event soon! It really is an event. The TJ's at which I shop is employed by cheerful employees. Honestly, it's like a party. Well, not a party, but visiting friends. Of course, that's a good image to have - it keeps people coming back. Do the other TJ's have the "All Hands On Deck" system? And, the "bell" system,? Elinor, tell me about yours. Laura, plan to spend time absorbing what they have, make a list b/c once in a while they drop an item and add new all of the time. This is how I keep my shopping organized.

Elinor, 22 years! WOW! WOW! WOW! I JUST started shopping at TJ's in the last 3-5 years. The Jo Jo's are sooooooo good. I also like their peppermint disks (all natural) - they taste so much better than the ordinary peppermint now. I forgot we stumbled across the molasses graham crackers. Look out - they are good. Hummus - spicey and yummy. Like you I buy all organic when available. Our TJ's carries a large selection of organic foods. To the OP, there are so many other things I'm forgetting that I buy. Have a blast. Elinor, do.not.go.there.with.the.peanut.butter.cups.or........or.......or.............. :) I haven't had candy bars or potato chips in 2 months. PB CUPS......................................oh how I miss them. Please eat a bag for me.

But aren't those peanut butter cups glutton free? :lol:

When I first started shopping there all those years ago, they had no produce and hardly any of the items they now have. I bought cheese and meats there, along with wine, booze, and the most AWESOME pâté that they just discontinued 2 years ago. There was an independent farmer's cart outside that sold me produce. Tiny little store!

My TJ's addiction is their organic cinnamon spice instant oatmeal mixed with their frozen fruit blend called very berry cherry. Heat fruit in microwave for about a minute and use the liquid from the fruit to mix the oatmeal, adding a little water as needed. I could OD on it.

My kids love the frozen fish nuggets and the organic shells and cheese mac and cheese. I get many of my baking supplies there and snack items. My kids have recently gotten many of our adult friends addicted to their organic lollipops. I get much of our dairy items there as well. Our store's produce is hit or miss for me.

ETA: Oldest dd also loves smoothies made with their vanilla yogurt, organic orange juice concentrate and frozen organic wild blueberries. I also get most of my frozen veggies there.

I do love the Trader Joe's flyers. They are the coolest. They really do make me want to go there and buy stuff. LOL

Ha, this thread makes me want to go shop there! I've never been, but of course I've heard about it forever. There's a TJ in the town where dd will be going to college next year, and visiting TJ will be an extra little perk for me!

It WILL be lovely to buy wine at the store again! :party:

I do almost all our grocery shopping there... Saves significant $$, and it's the most enjoyable shopping experience. :)

FWIW, you can use the Trader Joes All Purpose Flour as a bread flour substitution. Works just fine in the bread machine. (The recipe we use calls for 2 1/4 cups whole wheat and 1 1/4 cups bread flour... I use the TJ'S whole wheat and TJ'S all purpose and it comes out fine.)

I shop at Trader Joe's because they have the best prices on things that are healthy that I want to buy for my family. Some things that I buy there are:

hummus

Some produce (producer prices are generally competitive, but they don't carry local produce, so I buy that elsewhere)

nuts!!! they have a wonderful assortment of nuts, all at the very best prices

organic raisins

100% cranberry juice (I dilute it with water to dilute the sour taste, but it beats 10% cranberry juice plus sugar or artificial sweetener)

oat bran

Frozen fruits and veges (they have both organic and regular, very high quality, competitively priced)

frozen salmon (wild caught, best price around)

organic ketchup

fair trade organic chocolate

For fun, corn chips, peach salsa, meringue cookies, lemon cookies drizzled with chocolate, Peppermint Joe-joe's before Christmas), pumpkin pancake mix is seasonal and very good