Menu

LEGO birthday cake I just made

AndyJoy

I made this cake for my friend's 5-year-old son last night. Unfortunately I wasn't able to start it until 9:30 pm so it isn't as great as I would have liked, but between pregnancy exhaustion & heartburn I think it turned out pretty good. The cake was so moist it kept wanting to fall apart. The birthday boy was definitely pleased and devoured the head. Two other boys (including DS) asked for the head, but once I told them it was for the birthday boy they put in other requests. One boy asked for the pants and DS (3.25) said, "I want a thigh!" That got a laugh from the adults.

IMG_2305edited_zps119650ad.jpg

Awesome cake, awesome story. You'll have to make your son a chicken cakes for his birthday. ha ha

The plan is Clifford the Big Red Dog, but the dog itself won't be edible (bobblehead) so he'll have to settle for some doghouse! :laugh: Maybe he'll ask for the roof or some siding.

Thanks! It was a lot of fun. I've had the minifig pan for years in anticipation, but DS is a bit young for a LEGO party just yet, so I was glad of a chance to use it! I have used the candy mold before when DH's friend turned 30. I topped cupcakes with the candy for him and his friends and they thought it was awesome. My friend is going to use the leftover candies to top cupcakes for her son's preschool class on Monday.

I love the minifig and the container of (I assume) candy legos!

Yes, I have a silicone mold and used candy melts. The kids thought those were awesome. I didn't like the look of the minifig lying flat (too corpse-like), so I cut it at the waist and propped it up with lollipop sticks inside for stability. He looks a little drowsy because the head kept wanting to snap off. My friend commented that her son has plenty of trouble keeping the heads on his real LEGO minifigs so it was fitting.

I always love your cakes. I think it is adorable!

Thanks! My friend (who is 3 months ahead of me in her own pregnancy) kept checking with me to make sure I was still ok with making it. I assured her that I love to make cakes and having only one kid so far I don't get enough chances! I felt kind of awkward offering initially because I personally like to do my own, but she seemed ambivalent about getting a grocery store cake and adding LEGOs, so I offered to make one.

I joke that I didn't time my pregnancy well because their birthdays will be close so I'll be making 2 cakes within 2 months rather than getting to spread them out. I do still have her baby shower cake to make. Maybe she'll let me make more birthday cakes!