Menu

If you had $5K that HAD to be spent right away....

mitzvahmommy

I am in a fun-but-weird situation in which I MUST spend $5K on homeschooling materials in the next few weeks - and then won't have much more to spend on homeschooling for the next few years, outside of a basic workbooks etc. I am in my first year of homeschooling, so I am not experienced enough to know how to spend that money. My kids are 3rd grade (ds), 1st grade (ds), K (ds) and a 4yo (ds) and 2yo (dd). I know I will already be purchasing the next few volumes of SOTW and the CDs, LOF, I make my own science curriculum, still trying to choose spelling,grammar and writing program, and I think I will purchase Math Mammoth (otherwise we use Singapore). When creating your dream list don't think about socks-and-underwear basics, think about those dream extras that have in the end not been splurges but have been a return on the investment. For example. I think I will get the Snap Circuit full student kit, and we have the junior set and my kids love it. I am also thinking of investing in a quality microscope. Fun, right? But stressful, as I am too new to really know what I should be dreaming of...so dream for me!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it was me-

I'd get the snap circuits and the microscope, and a slide making kit, as well as a large set of pre-fab slides

I'd get a telescope

Curriclum for those ages-

I'd get Logic of English Foundations and Essentials

I'd get Nancy Larson Science 1-4

Life of Fred (all of it)\

FIAR, BFIAR and all the books

IEW TWSS

and I'd build one heck of a library of reference books.

Maybe you could give a little more information about what your goals are for the next few years. And is this through high school or just 3rd-6th (oldest child)? If we knew what you were trying to accomplish we could narrow down materials that would help you toward those goals.

I would invest in some of the non-curriculum things, like a really nice printer/copier, laminator, proclick (to do those plastic spiral bindings), a large white board, craft and art supplies, etc if you do not already have those. I agree with you that a descent microscope would also be great. If you have space for a large craft table or other homeschooling table with storage I would consider that as well. With five kids you are going to have a lot of stuff to organize so I would consider storage as well as "stuff."

I would be hesitant of buying too much curriculum for future use, as it's often difficult to correctly predict where your kids will be at academically a few years down the road, or what will work/not work for your family. Although I think the idea of spending 5K would be fun, spending it all at once seems to have some major drawbacks.

Amazing, thanks! So this is probably just through 6th grade, as I hope to have more money to spend by then. My oldest is an Aspie boy who loves chess and sciences, reads 1500 pages and week, but HATES handwriting, I want to teach them Hebrew but haven't picked a language curriculum yet, following TWTM mostly but won't start Latin until Hebrew is established. DS 1st grade is an emerging reading, auditory learner, off the wall ADHD guys who lives in an active imagination all day, loves science as well and really excels at math, but won't read without a bribe, K is a kinesthetic learner who is a mini-MacGyever (sp?) - he can make a working parachute from a toothpick and piece of paper, very intelligent and musical but not social, need engineer toy suggestions for him, and he just taught himself to read. We own lots and lots of books already, and the standard reference books, and are heavy library users. Keep the recommendations coming! :)

Fun! I would buy all the books in the SL cores, maybe not the guides if you know u wont use them, but for sure the books. I would buy all SOTW books, ag's and audios, lots of audio books. Several history encyclopedias and spines. Lots of science living books.

For math I would buy the MM books am if u can use the money to print and bind them do that. RS A for K and all manipulatives.

All about reading all levels available.

AAS all levels or at least through 4 and them something to finish out.

FLL 1-4 and then something else to finish

Something for writing. Wwe/ brave writer or IEW

Microcope

Tons and tons and then some more art and drawing supplies

Science kits lots of them

Lots and lots of real books

Can You use it on memberships for zoo/aquarium/children's museum?

Something like Rosetta Stone

Hands on history kits

And more books! :)

Aspies are notorious for loving to read hardcopy sets of encyclopedias. If it were me, I'd buy a set of World Book or New Book Of Knowledge encyclopedias. Often the publishers have new sets a year or two out of date for half price.

Draw Write Now (many use this as a staple for geography as well as for art and handwriting). Globe. Wall map. Atlas. The picture book, How I learned Geography to inspire the children to love maps.

Magic School Bus DVD set.

Balance scale that can be used for math as well as science. All sorts of things to measure with.

Magnets of every type and shape.

Right Start math card games.

. I prefer traditional shaped Prang 64 pack crayons (Rainbow Resource sells them), but most people get hit with Waldorf lust as some point, and it would be nice to have these packed away.

How fun! I would definitely get a microscope from Home Science Tools -- can't beat their prices or their lifetime warranty. Also, I would get a number of Science in a Nutshell kits to complement whatever curriculum you put together. Maybe IEW SWI-A or WWE for writing. Atelier Art and Mark Kistler's online drawing program, along with quality art supplies -- good drawing pencils and spiral bound drawing books, Prismacolor colored pencils, etc. Rosetta Stone. Some Critical Thinking Company CD-roms, such as Building Thinking Skills beginning. MusicAce software. Don't forget the activity guides for SOTW. I would buy FLL 1-4 for grammar, maybe with a pdf file for the workbooks so you can print out all the pages for your kiddoes (this would apply to SOTW, too).

Do you have a nice area for schoolwork? A trip to IKEA might be in order to customize a table with cubbies, etc. for organization. Also, I would get laptops or netbooks for the kids to use for schoolwork.

If I had $5000 to spend...

I would purchase, for sure.

LOF (Those I don't already have)

Singapore Math ( Levels up to 5 That I don't own)

Art of Problem Solving Math ( The complete set)

WWE / FLL / SOTW ( that currently own)

All About Spelling (The last level That I don't ownown)

Elemental Science ( All I don't currently own)

Michael Clay Thompson or Hake Grammar ( A few level)

Tons of supporting literature for science and history

Tons of Newbery Books, Classics and others.

And memberships to the zoo, art museum, aquarium, pool, gym & etc.

Lively Latin

Microscope

Telescope

Tons of games.

Beyond that I would have to think really hard.

Good suggestions. You could also consider getting Lego WeDo Robotics...

Consider the resell value on what you're buying. If you buy workbooks and they don't work out, you'll probably be out that money. If you buy something like LoF or AAS and it's not right, then you can probably resell it.

With the kinestic, ADHD and Aspie tendencies I would buy lots of the sensory therapy materials! Trampolines, a gymnastics bar to flip over, gym mats to put on the floor, wiggle chairs, etc. Especially if you live somewhere cold that prevents lots of physical activity during the winter months (like I do). Curriculum can be bought used, borrowed from the library and what-not. Setting up the ideal learning environment though would make whatever we do use more effective, IMO.

Buying iPads is a great idea! I agree with those who have said it is not an ideal situation, but the money must be spent and can't be saved or it will disappear. I am a very conservative sender, and haven't spent much on homeschooling so far, made my own curriculums, searched out free resources, and have been fine. But I have longed for wonderful art supplies, building and science kits, a nice microscope, so these things are now at least within reach. But the curriculum choices are overwhelming, and I agree that it is just as likely that what I choose now will work in three year as not. So hardware seems like the way to go. In terms of science kits, building toys, educational toys for the wee ones, what have been your favorite splurges? I was thinking that I would buy a bunch now then squirrel them away for future birthdays and holidays, as nice wooden toys, Lego sets etc never expire. I saw Haba toys mentioned on a forum, for example.

Btw, people list living texts for history and science, what suggestions specifically? Is there a list out there you would link to? Also we will be doing Volume 2 of SOTW next year and I don't even own the book yet, but I will need to think of all of the extras , the fun kits or great books or figurines tht could support that book. Any suggestions specific to that?

Ooh, I love the idea of sensory tools! I covet the items I see in those catalogs, but normally can't even consider buying them. Nope, can't buy gift certificates, it must all be truly spent. With five kids, would you buy one iPad and one iMac, or is a less expensive laptop for each of the older boys and an iPad for everyone to share more ideal? We have one iPad now which is in constant use by all ages, but I don't personally like to work on the iPad for true typing work. I can't imagine that they will practice their typing ( which they do now on our ancient desktop PC) on an iPad. Does anyone have kids using the iPad for all school work, or is it mostly used for apps, and a laptop will become more necessary as they grow older?

As far as building toys, we have been loving the K'Nex education sets we are using this year. And piles of just plain Legos, although it might be a stretch to label them curriculum LOL. Math manipulatives, like cuisenaire rods, ones, tens and hundreds blocks, and counters get both school time use and after school play here.

I would also invest in several really good history, science and general encyclopedias, a few atlases and several dictionaries, so you have ones that grow with the child. A good globe and wall map too. If you have a good library system, you can get just about any literature you want and return it when you are done, but reference works are needed all year long. Also a collection of science experiment books, like the Jan Van Cleave books, for the same reason.

A collection of quality music recordings would be nice.

I might also invest in a set of children's literature books like Journeys Through Bookland (sorry I can't link, I'm on the iPad) so we always had some classic reading available. I might also load up a Kindle or iPad with good literature to have on hand--there is so much out there for free! (Yeah, I know, you are trying to spend money and here I am giving you free stuff...)

Also, lifetime memberships at a zoo or museum might be a good investment.

In dreamland, I would pay several years advance on music lessons, so they wouldn't get dropped if finances got rough later.

Btw, people list living texts for history and science, what suggestions specifically? Is there a list out there you would link to? Also we will be doing Volume 2 of SOTW next year and I don't even own the book yet, but I will need to think of all of the extras , the fun kits or great books or figurines tht could support that book. Any suggestions specific to that?

Not sure if you would like all of these, but here are some of the books we will use for SOTW 2:

http://www.classical-homeschooling.org/curriculum/history-3.html

http://www.heartofdakota.com/rtr_hearts-for-him-packages.php - Some of the history and possibly extension selections

http://www.timberdoodle.com/Famous_Figures_of_Medieval_Times_p/298-295.htm - Paper Medieval figures

http://bfbooks.com/Medieval-History-Intermediate-Pack- More living book options, some of the same

http://www.winterpromise.net/product_info.php?cPath=21_39&products_id=704- The supply kit has some great stuff, and also the chain mail kit

What about musical instruments? A piano or keyboard, a guitar, a flute, a violin or clarinet. Oh, I think I could spend that money real fast with computers, printers, organization stuff, instruments, activity balls, games, and the staple curricula that every home should have. Have fun!

With the kinestic, ADHD and Aspie tendencies I would buy lots of the sensory therapy materials! Trampolines, a gymnastics bar to flip over, gym mats to put on the floor, wiggle chairs, etc. Especially if you live somewhere cold that prevents lots of physical activity during the winter months (like I do). Curriculum can be bought used, borrowed from the library and what-not. Setting up the ideal learning environment though would make whatever we do use more effective, IMO.

If I had the space/money I would buy an indoor playground from LimiKids and some tumbling mats.

Dover history coloring books

Everyone must be tired of me saying this, but I really love the ORIGINAL What Your Grader Needs to Know series (NOT the revised series). As I read your post more closely, and see that after this splurge you are going to be back to roughing it a bit, and back to library books and homemade resources, you might like this set. It is very complete. Also in that vein, you might like Borg Hendrickson's How to Write a Low Cost/ No Cost Curriculum and Rebecca Rupp's The Complete Home Learning Source Book. These 3 books are serious helps in using your library more effectively.

Still in that vein of soon back to roughing it, Using Color in Your Art and The Jumbo Book of Music. With a pack of crayons and some trash I've taught serious quality art and music lessons.

I wouldn't teach cursive handwriting to any Aspie with anything other than the cursive handwriting instruction in Writing Road to Reading 6th edition and the sequence in Sam Blumenfeld's How to Tutor. But you can probably get both books later through interlibrary loan, but they are nice to have. If you do decide to try more than the handwriting in WRTR, get the OOP 4th edition.

3edd9415.jpg

You haven't mentioned religion, but you said Hebrew. Are you wanting to look at some expensive unit-study/general/reference Christian education items? Like Ruth Haycock's Encyclopedia of Bible Truths, The K-12 Student's of the Word curriculum, Principle Approach Guides, 1828 Webster's Dictionary, etc? The Bedell Curriculum is useful for all ages as a read aloud or much more. Balancing the Sword. An audio Bible and hymnals and music.

If you are Jewish there is another member here that could point you to some nice things.

I would buy science kits because we never really did science until I bought kits. My kids like the magic School bus a d beginning Thames and Kosmos kits.

Blank books

Nice art supplies

Sonlight for books if you won't have a library.

Usborne Encyclopedias

Teaching Textbooks CD's only for each grade

A handwriting program

Beeswax crayons

Oak Meadow for the first two or three years if you have any nature Waldorfy types of children.

Timberdoodle.com has lots of fun games ideas.

I would buy at least one new computer/laptop, but more likely two if money will be tight for the next ~ 5 years, not just iPads. As you mentioned tablets definately have their limitations, though they are enjoyable. You will need a decent computer and they will need one as well as a minimum to avoid a lot of frustration. Our kids use their tablets for reading primarily along with some fun apps. But they actually take classes on the computer, learn to program, type their papers there along with a whole host of other things that they would never do on their tablets. With three kids ages 6-11 one comptuer 'for them' is no longer enough. So I bought my wife a new laptop and they got her older one. Also note that tablets in general are really coming down in price. I know many are die hard Apple fans. But if you could get a Kindle or equivalent Android based tablet for ~ $100 do they really need the iPad and will they really notice the difference? Our youngest dd6 is 'saving' for her Android based tablet. The others got them (Nooks) at birthday/holiday times and really enjoy them.

Laser printers are also very useful as well as color inkjets for certain things, though not as essential. The inkjets are more prone to have problems and cost more to maintain.

Do you have any musical instruments? Our piano, though expensive, was a great investment in their musical education.

I'll just list things that have been very costly for us or that I wish I could buy!

Good laser printer

Copier

X-Large white board

Discoveries in Art

Discoveries in Music

A new laptop plus spyware/virusprotection if you don't have one?

Lots of books that the library is unlikely to have but which are wonderful- (you could start a new thread asking for a list of those.)

LEGO Mindstorms if you have boys

K'Nex Construction Kits

An instrument such as a Korg electric piano if you think your kids will desire to play

Rosetta Stone- at least 3 levels!! So worth the $$$

Several levels of Sonlight Cores (just the Core)

Prisms color Pencils- one set for each kid. They are like gold. The kids who care and are careful should have the joy of enjoying their own pencils and the kids who lose theirs should not be allowed to borrow.

My dd took such beautiful care of hers for two years. Then my ds began borrowing them and half the set was lost within 2 months!

I would prefer an Apple laptop or if you have the room they make one with a wonderful giant screen and that would easily eat up half your budget :) My apple products always outlast all my family and friends electronics even the so called amazing alien ware. And, I have yet to hear of them having virus issues.

We have an iPad and it is certainly nice for online stuff. But, you cannot put Teaching Textbooks on it or watch flash items easily.

Yes, after this spending spree will will be going back to tight times for the foreseeable future. The hard part of this is that a spending spree is so against my nature. I like free. We shop exclusively at thrift stores, and love it. We buy all books used. The time frame for this spending means I may have to buy a lot of these thing new, which feels really wasteful. And we have amazing libraries here, where I can request curriculum for nine or more weeks, so I am loathe to purchase a bunch of books. I think electronics, instruments and art supplies are wonderful suggestions. I do need new curriculum for next year, so of course I will buy that while I am at it. The local curriculum fair will be taking place one month too late for me to make use of these funds at the fair. As a newish homeschooler I so wish I could hit a cosmic pause button and arrive at that fair with this sort of purchasing power. But then I might implode! And I would probably make a lot of bad choices. I just don't like to buy new, buy quickly, and not plan carefully, so as horrible as it may sound, this is more stressful than fun at this point. When I can't scrape together money next year for a LA workbook, this will be all the more surreal.

I a, really new to forums such as these, so I bet I need to start a separate thread, but what books (are they referred to as spines?) have been anchors in you WTM curriculum? That you would want to own even given weekly trips to an amazing library with a generous loaning policy?

If you are getting a printer, the ones that have document feeders are great (around $200), because you can scan multiple pages and put then all into a pdf for the iPad.

Another idea for 'extra' money -- iTunes gift card or Amazon gift card?

Chem3000 chemistry set ($200+), Washington School rock/mineral set ($75 or so), microscope ($200+), astronomy binoculars and a special tripod (about $300 for both, I think). Other things from Home Science Tools, Delta, Carolina Science....

Globe, atlases, dictionaries fro various levels.

WTM (of course)!

Books to Build On (from Core Knowledge) has some wonderful selections -- you might want to look at the 'General Resources' book recommendations for each subject. Those are the books that could be used year after year.

A laser printer and replacement cartridges.

Printer paper.

A walmart gift card to be used in the fall for back to school deals.

A 3 hole punch.

Binders, one per subject per grade.

Science experimet kits.

I would NOT buy any text books or curriculum unless you had experience with it and it was a good fit for your child. There are so many free online curriculum resources for core subjects that a laser printer and paper will allow you to adapt to your childs needs and keep you from being locked into a curriculum that gathers dust.

Oh and many school districs buy a subsription to brain pop, reading a-z, enchanted learning and other worksheet and teacher idea exchange type websites and they often will share the password (mine does at least).

I just don't like to buy new, buy quickly, and not plan carefully, so as horrible as it may sound, this is more stressful than fun at this point. When I can't scrape together money next year for a LA workbook, this will be all the more surreal.

You clarified what I was assuming. I'm sorry it's like this for you. Somewhere there is a scripture about being content with both a lot and a little. There is a reason why Paul asked to be content with much. He was struggling with that too, I think. My life is often surreal with the financial ups and down. I understand.

I once had a house guest sitting on a blow up mattress, waiting for me to finish cooking the rice and beans I had been given at a food pantry. Her cell phone rang and it was Stevie Wonder, wanting to chat with her before he left for Africa. I have left the homeless shelter I was staying at to be dragged by another friend into a store where she handed me a $500.00 pair of jeans to try on. I have stood in hotel lobbies and cried and begged not to be dragged into the ritzy dining rooms despite being dizzy with hunger. Sometimes I feel like my brain is just splitting into pieces or that I'm in a science fiction film. :grouphug:

If I were you I would think about putting away some K-8, K-12 general curriculum resources for creating unit studies and such, that will help you use the library more efficiently. A lot of it is OOP back from the 90's when that was what most homeschoolers were doing. Do you want some of us oldschoolers to give you links to our favorite oldschool books, that helped us not need workbooks so much? Or is that too overwhelming right now and you just need to get rid of the money on big items so you can rest.

I personally would buy a couple of the new paperwhite Kindles. They give the least eyestrain and really are usable to read free novels. I can download library books to my computer and then transfer them right to the kindle. The Kindle fire can download books right to itself without help from a computer, but it does give some eyestrain and is heavier. I had a first generation Kindle Fire but traded it for my paperwhite and I love my paperwhite. I love the free library books I can get on it when i'm at the broke end of my surreal life. Each one feels like a present.

I too, am often not in a situation where I can save the abundance. And even when I thought I could prepare and save, what happened next was not what I expected, and could NEVER ever ever have prepared for. Like when an entire wall of cabinets separated from the wall and crashed onto the floor breaking and smashing all the choice nonperishables I was hoarding inside. No matter what happens later this year or next, try not to wish you could go back and redo this. You have NO idea what is going to happen. NO idea.

I have lost my faith in God, but I've learned to trust myself. I've survived two episodes of homelessness where I lost EVERYTHING and I'm still here. I can adapt. You sound like you can adapt. If you believe in a deity, then you can trust it sees what is happening and is in control. Either it wants you to learn something, and/or will watch over you. You are safe. :grouphug:

I second including the World Book Encyclopedia set. Our older kids would lie on the floor for hours browsing through and reading them. Then we moved and couldn't take them with us, and our younger kids have not had that privilege. I wish so much we could buy some. The CDs we had at one time were hardly ever used.

All About Reading? All About Spelling? Both are great curriculums and you would use them with your youngers coming up too.

I would buy some amazon gift cards with the money if I had a choice. Then, as you need new books or other things, you could order from Amazon. I spend on average 500 a year on books for us. I love books and workbooks for my Kindergartener. We have gotten some curriculum/craft things through here too. That gives you the money set aside to be used in one place.

I would stock up on pencils, paper, noteboosk, etc. as well. Do you do anything on a computer? That might be worth a purchase as well (a laptop) that will be designated for this as you go.

Also, you might look at the Magic School Bus DVDs for your kids too if you don't have them. My 3rd grader and Kindergartener love them.

Not sure what you are using for English, but we purchased the Essentials in Writing and like these.

If you are planning to use TWTM, I would consider getting the Kingfisher History Encyclopedia and Science Encyclopedia. My boys love them. Also you might consider some fun series books like Brian P. Cleary's Words are Categorical series. If you know that you want to use Explode the Code (or any workbooks), I would go ahead and buy them. Buy your handwriting workbooks and consider buying StartWrite CD to use to make copywork and handwriting sheets. I would definitely invest in some fun preschool manipulatives (check out Timberdoodle or Rainbow Resource).

I guess I'll be the odd one out, can you just put this money in a seperate bank account reserved for school purposes only? That's quite a bit of money to throw at a whole bunch of curriculum that you have already stated you don't know if you will or will not like. You said you have a hard time buying new, and prefer to save money buying used. This amount of money could go a long, long way, especially if you continue with your saving habits of purchasing used, and taking your time deciding what to purchase. It's not a bad thing, at all, but that's a lot to drop at one time, on so many resources that I fear I would be in over my head just thinking about it.

I have been carefully planning our upcoming year, and I'm getting ready to spend what I believe to be a decent amount, a few hundred dollars, and that alone is overwhelming me, I couldn't imagine buying $5k worth!

However, that aside, I do think IPad's are a cool idea. I havent brought myself to feeling like I could use one yet though! Hands down, I do know that I would purchase every Rod and Staff English sets for each grade. I plan on sticking with R&S English for the long haul. We also LOVE Singapore Math, so I would likely purchase each grade level up through 6th, but since I haven't decided what curriculum to go with once we hit Algebra, I wouldn't make any rash decisions, as I want to make the best decision.

Manipulatives are good, but can overrun your home and never be used. We use base-10 blocks and c-rods often. I also recommend an abacus, it's a great way to introduce easy math facts.

Unlike you, I tend to buy used items, ONLY if they are new or in like new condition. I'm a very picky person when it comes to condition of items, however, I am saving in other areas, like making use of the library for the books that go with certain curriculum, so I splurge on the guides, or whatever, and use the library for the rest if need be.

Are there any homeschooling books for YOU that you'd like? I just ordered "Educating the Wholehearted Child" and can't wait to get it! I'm not one for "manuals" but I like a good reference book.

Are there any Bible curriculums that you want or need? Doorposts.com has great items for bringing up children in a Godly way. Their items are pricey, but they are also to be used throughout your childs life under your roof!

There are no particular books or items we couldn't live without. We love Rod & Staff, and we love Singapore, we also enjoy Draw Write Now. The rest isn't as important and other than building a good quality library of books, I wouldn't know what to do with $5k at one time! However, buying all the R&S levels, plus all R&S Spelling levels, and Singapore Math, that would take up a small chunk! I likely could spend it easily, if I had to do so!

If I used Sonlight, I know the money would go very quickly!

I'd use some of the money to buy gift cards/gift certificates if you are able - most homeschool companies do this.

Ipad

printer

for young kids I love my stereomicroscope from HST

snap circuits

math manipulatives (cuisenaire rods, fraction rods, clock, etc.)

Sonlight history/literature books

steve spangler science - fun stuff for young kids

A laser printer and replacement cartridges.

Printer paper.

A walmart gift card to be used in the fall for back to school deals.

A 3 hole punch.

Binders, one per subject per grade.

Science experimet kits.

I would NOT buy any text books or curriculum unless you had experience with it and it was a good fit for your child. There are so many free online curriculum resources for core subjects that a laser printer and paper will allow you to adapt to your childs needs and keep you from being locked into a curriculum that gathers dust.

Oh and many school districs buy a subsription to brain pop, reading a-z, enchanted learning and other worksheet and teacher idea exchange type websites and they often will share the password (mine does at least).

i agree especially about the printer. Get a Brother 2270DW laser printer.

I also find that a necessary piece of homeschool equipment for us is the TRAMPOLINE.

just order every item from the home Science tools catalog. :)

The thing about getting too many books ahead of time is that it is so easy to forget you have them. At least for us, books don't really take on enough meaning to remember until we've read them.

Also, what about a stock of really great art supplies? portfolio oil pastels, dick blick liquid watercolors, sharpies, sharpies, sharpies, watercolor paper, watercolor crayons.

oh, man. i think i better go now because i am just thinking about what i want. :)

best wishes to you

$5K.....

laser printer, lots of toner, reams of paper

large whiteboard + markers

laminator & associated supplies

kindle

laptop

microscope, slide making kit

a good digital scale

Artistic Pursuits + supply kits

Handwriting Without Tears + minichalkboard, wood pieces, mat

History in the Woods timeline figures (on cd) and a timeline book for each child: you can print figurines off for each child on the printer, make games and lapbooks with the figurines, etc.

Kingfisher History Encyclopedia

Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia

SOTW 1-4 with audio cd and activity guide: buy digital files so you can print copies for subsequent children

any "Lift the Lid" kids you can get your hands on: gladiator, mummies, china, pirates (rainbow resource has a few of these)...."treasure chests" are sometimes easier to find: amazon has the Ancient China treasure chest

for special needs:

theraputty

core disk: https://store.schoolspecialty.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpItmDspRte.jsp?minisite=10021&item=1296544&section=107469

foam squares for stability: https://store.schoolspecialty.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpItmDspRte.jsp?minisite=10021&item=89337&section=107469

math manipulatives:

unifix cubes

plastic clock

prism

mirrors

tangram shapes & pattern animal book

Thames & Konos science kits

snap circuits

lego mindstorms

mathshark

typing instructor

games:

into the forest

ticket to ride

bananagrams

baby is crying......sorry!

Dover history coloring books

Everyone must be tired of me saying this, but I really love the ORIGINAL What Your Grader Needs to Know series (NOT the revised series). As I read your post more closely, and see that after this splurge you are going to be back to roughing it a bit, and back to library books and homemade resources, you might like this set. It is very complete. Also in that vein, you might like Borg Hendrickson's How to Write a Low Cost/ No Cost Curriculum and Rebecca Rupp's The Complete Home Learning Source Book. These 3 books are serious helps in using your library more effectively.

How would one go about finding these "What Your ____ Grader Needs to Know" originals and know that they are the originals?

I love the idea of the technology (ipad, computer) and the hs prep stuff (binding machine, etc). The sensory materials are also a good plan but I would shop for used, most of those are so overpriced new. What about memberships to local museums, nature centers or the y? Any online learning memberships/programs Dreambox, etc? For your ds who hates to write, a typing program/app or something like Dragon Dictate/Dragon Naturally Speaking.