Menu

s/o Seed Companies - Your FAVORITE one?

jenL

The list of seed companies has me wondering what everyone's favorite companies are. We haven't ordered our catalog yet - we've been buying organic ones from a local hardware/farm store, but we are not opposed to branching out in our choices.

So, what seed company do you love and why?

I like Pinetree (superseeds.com) because most of their seed packets contain around 30 seeds. A garden as small as mine does not require the 300-seed packets that many catalogs sell, and the smaller packets have smaller prices so I can try something new without much risk. They are a small (family, IIRC) company and have terrific customer service.

I haven't heard of Baker Creek. The last thing I need is yet another seed catalog, but the number of recommendations here have me curious!

We love Baker Creek. We've always had a good success rate with their seeds, and the produce is yummy. The company has great customer service, ships your items fast, and usually includes a surprise bonus packet of seeds.

I agree, for the same reasons. Our success rates with their seeds have been phenomenal. I planted my first Baker Creek seeds in 2009. Last summer we started our first major garden, and I planted seeds from all of those 2009 packets. The germination rates were still 100%. Their product descriptions are accurate, and the customer reviews were key in making our garden very successful.

I also love their commitment to heirloom seeds and to fighting GMOs and everything that goes along with that industry.

Fedco is where I get the bulk of my purchases. Very happy with them. Love their catalog (no photos!) all history and opinion and details about the varieties.

Territorial for my Bolero carrots that Fedco doesn't carry.

I am going to try a few from Baker Creek this year. On Amazon you can "look inside" their book and read a lot about how they started the company.

http://www.amazon.com/Heirloom-Life-Gardener-Growing-Naturally/dp/1401324398/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1359153847&sr=1-2&keywords=bakers+creek+seeds

i know the people who run Southern Exposure. One thing to keep in mind is - at least for Southern Exposure, i believe the majority of their seeds are grown here in virginia - so they are esp suitable for this region. Seeds from michigan might not do as well in VA!