Menu

SOCIAL GROUP: Atheists, agnostics, free-thinkers, non-believers

Guest inoubliable

Any one of you have super sensetive kid obsessed with god? I have a 6 year old boy who cries sometimes because one day we will all die and he will be alone. He asks about god and all the normal 6 year old questions, but if I can't answer anything. He is toooo sensitive and emotional and I can't reason with him. The other day he asked to go to church so he can be close to god. My DH and I just stared. No words. What do I do with him? Is this the age thing that he will outgrow? His older brother never really cared much about religion (other than Zeus of course, he is cool).

My son went through that for several years, although without the religious component. At that age, a child's family is his world, and the idea of losing that can be completely overwhelming. I tried the whole "circle of life" thing, explaining that if people never died then new people couldn't be born, and how the ephemeral nature of life just makes it that much more beautiful and precious... etc. He said he thought that was just the Disney way of making people feel better about death, and it didn't work for him. :(

A year or so later, I did the "stardust" version — that everything in the universe is made of atoms formed in stars, and that when we die our molecules just go back into the universe for recycling, so we're never really gone, we just merge back into the universe. That helped for a while — or at least he was able to not dwell on it so much.

Then one night, when he was about 11, I found him crying in bed in the middle of the night, and asked him if he was sad about his grandfathers dying. He said no, but their deaths had reminded him that someday I would be gone, too, and he didn't know how he would survive that. We talked about how he would have a family of his own by then, and that as much as he missed me, life would go on. He said "But you're the only person in the world who really loves and understands me." I pointed out that his dad and sister and other relatives love him, too, but he said that they don't understand him like I do, and that he will be unbearably lonely when there's no one on earth who really "gets" him. :crying:

Anyway, in that moment I suddenly understood the comfort that many people get from religion — the idea that there is someone out there (and not just "someone," but the all-powerful, all-knowing source of everything) who will always love and understand and "get" you no matter what. For people who had crummy parents, it's a second chance at unconditional love and acceptance, a chance to have the perfect, loving "Father" they never had IRL. For people who had good, loving parents IRL, it's a chance to hold onto that feeling even after their real parents are gone. Some people really need that feeling of safety and security, and they'd rather brush off any nagging questions or logical inconsistencies rather than give that up.

Jackie

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest inoubliable

saints are actually kind of fun...kind of like a good luck charm...you are upset...talk to the saint in your head that corresponds with your problem...

Like having a god for thunderstorms, one for jellyfish, and one for corn.

saints are actually kind of fun...kind of like a good luck charm...you are upset...talk to the saint in your head that corresponds with your problem...

I always thought it was a convenient system, like getting put through to the right department without having to go through the switchboard or, in our fabulous, technologically advanced world, all those "Please press 1 for..."

Guest inoubliable

My son went through that for several years, although without the religious component. At that age, a child's family is his world, and the idea of losing that can be completely overwhelming. I tried the whole "circle of life" thing, explaining that if people never died then new people couldn't be born, and how the ephemeral nature of life just makes it that much more beautiful and precious... etc. He said he thought that was just the Disney way of making people feel better about death, and it didn't work for him. :(

A year or so later, I did the "stardust" version — that everything in the universe is made of atoms formed in stars, and that when we die our molecules just go back into the universe for recycling, so we're never really gone, we just merge back into the universe. That helped for a while — or at least he was able to not dwell on it so much.

Then one night, when he was about 11, I found him crying in bed in the middle of the night, and asked him if he was sad about his grandfathers dying. He said no, but their deaths had reminded him that someday I would be gone, too, and he didn't know how he would survive that. We talked about how he would have a family of his own by then, and that as much as he missed me, life would go on. He said "But you're the only person in the world who really loves and understands me." I pointed out that his dad and sister and other relatives love him, too, but he said that they don't understand him like I do, and that he will be unbearably lonely when there's no one on earth who really "gets" him. :crying:

Anyway, in that moment I suddenly understood the comfort that many people get from religion — the idea that there is someone out there (and not just "someone," but the all-powerful, all-knowing source of everything) who will always love and understand and "get" you no matter what. For people who had crummy parents, it's a second chance at unconditional love and acceptance, a chance to have the perfect, loving "Father" they never had IRL. For people who had good, loving parents IRL, it's a chance to hold onto that feeling even after their real parents are gone. Some people really need that feeling of safety and security, and they'd rather brush off any nagging questions or logical inconsistencies rather than give that up.

Jackie

It does sound like it's mostly an age-development thing. We, too, did the stardust bit. It fascinated my kids so much that they drew comfort from it.

Yes a big multidimensional universe. It's just mind bogglingly big. We always think we are so big and so important and really, what are we? We are like smaller than a virus.

I would much rather live and pay the price with death than never to have seen this world. I always drag my kids outside to stare at stars and we talk how insane it is that we are seeing the past. The vastness and strangest of it all gives me peace.

Yeah, strangely enough, the very vastness of the universe and the insignificance of humans gives me far more peace and comfort than the idea of "heaven" would. Have you guys ever seen the movie Immortal Beloved? At the end, you see him as a little boy floating in an infinite ocean of stars as the 9th symphony plays, and I think that's just the most beautiful, peaceful, uplifting image. That's how I think of dying, and I would love to experience that on my way out of here!

Jackie

what do i know about saints? i grew up jewish. but i want him to be a symbol of what we stand for as secular homeschoolers. of course, they may be some secular homeschoolers who are more in to art than science, but anyways.

sorry about the strep. i keep wondering if i shoudl get checked, since the sore throat is the worst symptom here, but i'm also very sneezy and snotty, so i'm just hiding my head in the sand and planning to have my kneecap drilled on monday. :crying:

I am snotty too, but not sneezy. DS is sneezy and snotty and his tummy is upset, but he is a puker and has an upset tummy with any bug he gets. I think the kid has thrown up more in his 11 years than I have in my 33.

I also have a horrible painful breakout on my chin and around my mouth, I don't know if strep can cause that or not, but hopefully the antibiotics will clear that up too. I am a mess. :blink:

Getting your kneecap drilled sounds absolutely horrible! Would having an active infection cause any possible complications to your surgery?

I like rosary beads too. It's very meditative. I'm not crazy about the prayers. But those could be replaced. Imagine instead you are fingering these beads and repeating.."unicorns are pretty, unicorns are pretty, unicorns are pretty".

I saw a book on Amazon about pagan prayer beads and put it on my list of books I hope someone buys me one day. I kind of wonder what they could have to say on the topic because I can't really imagine what there could be to say. Is there more to it than stringing pretty beads on a thread and thinking about stuff while you fiddle with them?

Jackie

My ds was 6 when my dad died. He seemed to handle it well, but I found him talking to a picture of us (me, dh and ds) one night. I gently asked him what he was doing. He asked me if I remember what my mom and dad look like now that they're gone. I told him yes, I remember. Their pictures are in my head forever. He told me he wanted to make sure he kept his picture safe in case his father or I died. The thing he seemed to fear most about death was that he might forget us if it was a long time.

I had never really told him stories about my mom before that, but I started too then, and I continue to reminisce about both of my parents frequently. I think this helped him a bit to understand that gone does not equal forgotten -- that we live on in the hearts of our loved ones. We also talked about how simple biology ensures that we continue to "live on" in our children -- who are built of our DNA, and we in turn are built of our parents DNA and they of their parents DNA and so on and so forth.

the problem is in getting general anesthesia while i have an upper respiratory infection . . . i injured my knee during martial arts testing a year ago . . . not any of the more common knee problems, like tearing the pad of cartilage, or tearing a tendon or muscle . . . no, i dislocated and bruised the kneecap, and probably scraped the backside of the knee cap. if the 'white' cartilage that lines the back of the kneecap is damaged and not healing, drilling will bring fresh blood to heal it. they also will look for loose bodies and possibly smooth out any roughness and, well, the doc kept saying my kneecap was like an apple that you dropped, and it gets a mushy part, and you have to scrape out that mushy part before it spreads.

anyways, all this and only a 75% chance that i will be able to use my knee without pain after this.

stressed much? oh, and my period started today too.

Jackie

The pure and unconditional love of the mother. That is a true thing for many people. Your son obviously knows it is true for him. I know it was true for me. I know that no one will ever love me the way she did. The first moment I held my son I finally knew the depth of what that love was, too. it was the happiest and saddest moment of my life. So much love for this little baby, but at the same time, realizing how much SHE had loved me and not being able to tell her that at last, I knew. She had been long dead by then.

Such is life. No guarantees. No failsafe. No backup plans. It just is what it is. That is why I believe in living for the life I'm given and loving full-on whenever the right opportunity presents itself.

gateopen_zps5046f51c.jpeg

The pure and unconditional love of the mother. That is a true thing for many people. Your son obviously knows it is true for him. I know it was true for me. I know that no one will ever love me the way she did. The first moment I held my son I finally knew the depth of what that love was, too. it was the happiest and saddest moment of my life. So much love for this little baby, but at the same time, realizing how much SHE had loved me and not being able to tell her that at last, I knew. She had been long dead by then.

I had the exact same experience the first time I held my son — just the most overwhelming rush of unconditional love, and the realization that I'd never really known what love was before that moment. It also made me sad, but my reason was the opposite of yours — it was realizing that no one had ever loved me the way I love my kids. My mother is just missing that gene or something, and I was told from a pretty young age that she was sorry I was ever born. So while I was lying there overwhelmed with love for DS, I was also grieving the fact that I would never know what it felt like to be loved like that.

And the night he told told me that he knew no one else would ever love and understand him like I did, I also felt incredibly sad, because even though it's true, I wish he didn't know it, kwim?

Such is life. No guarantees. No failsafe. No backup plans. It just is what it is. That is why I believe in living for the life I'm given and loving full-on whenever the right opportunity presents itself.

gateopen_zps5046f51c.jpeg

I love that!

Jackie

I am sometimes still left awestruck by just how much I love my son, I mean he is just an awesome little person. (even though he is currently 11)

My parents love me in their own way, but I never felt that unconditional acceptance and love from them. They also never actually told me they loved me when I was growing up, it just wasn't said in our house. I have always made a point to tell my son several times a day that I love him, my Dh too. It is funny, after seeing it my own family, my Mom now says it to me occasionally, it totally throws me off every time.

I also sometimes have moments of awe when I really consider our dogs. I mean they are pretty much genetically identical to wolves, and yet these incredibly strong, incredibly intelligent, beings with those giant deadly teeth are just so gentle. I have felt the full brunt of a large dogs bite, and it was so painful and upsetting and left lifelong damage. But yet, my sweet crazy girl can lay on my lap and playfully chew on my hands and arms, or they will each curl up on opposite sides of DS while he sleeps, and it is such a primal ancient bond being displayed.

I am sometimes still left awestruck by just how much I love my son, I mean he is just an awesome little person. (even though he is currently 11)

My parents love me in their own way, but I never felt that unconditional acceptance and love from them. They also never actually told me they loved me when I was growing up, it just wasn't said in our house. I have always made a point to tell my son several times a day that I love him, my Dh too. It is funny, after seeing it my own family, my Mom now says it to me occasionally, it totally throws me off every time.

I also sometimes have moments of awe when I really consider our dogs. I mean they are pretty much genetically identical to wolves, and yet these incredibly strong, incredibly intelligent, beings with those giant deadly teeth are just so gentle. I have felt the full brunt of a large dogs bite, and it was so painful and upsetting and left lifelong damage. But yet, my sweet crazy girl can lay on my lap and playfully chew on my hands and arms, or they will each curl up on opposite sides of DS while he sleeps, and it is such a primal ancient bond being displayed.

Yes to everything you wrote. My parents love me as much as they are capable of and as long as they can maintain an image of what they want me to be. I love my kids right now for just who they are. No strings.

And the dog thing too!! My DS sleeps curled in my big dog's arms every night. Watching the two of them together... It make me feel like all is safe in my "cave" and I wonder how many people have had the same thoughts throughout time. :)

Most threads on discussion boards have at least 10 times the views as the responses, longer threads usually have more views per post than shorter ones.

Oh. Well, we get spyed upon so the cult people can feel better about themselves and know who to pray for. :laugh:

Yes to everything you wrote. My parents love me as much as they are capable of and as long as they can maintain an image of what they want me to be. I love my kids right now for just who they are. No strings.

And the dog thing too!! My DS sleeps curled in my big dog's arms every night. Watching the two of them together... It make me feel like all is safe in my "cave" and I wonder how many people have had the same thoughts throughout time. :)

Yes, I stand in the doorway and can just feel some sort of connection to our ancient human roots.

People have also been appalled that I let it happen! He isn't a toddler, he is bigger than me, but honestly even at preschool age I would have been fine with his furry friendsd's curled up next to him. These aren't some stray hyenas I picked up off the street :)

I know I totally have a fever, and am loopy. But it really is sort of profound lol.

Back to sleep, DH woke me up for meds and food, my throat es en fuego, and my lips.....so I'm gonna pass back out and forget about it!

Guest inoubliable

I know I totally have a fever, and am loopy. But it really is sort of profound lol.

Back to sleep, DH woke me up for meds and food, my throat es en fuego, and my lips.....so I'm gonna pass back out and forget about it!

Stay hydrated, lady! :grouphug:

I'm way behind so I'm doing my best to post from memory. I got caught up in another kertuffle.

Parents love for children: I never understood what love truly was until I had my first son. It wasn't even right at birth that I realized this. He was a few months old and sick at the time when I looked down at him and realized how much I loved him and it hurt. It hurt for me to think of losing him. I knew that I would die without him. I've never known love that deep.

Strep throat and antibiotics: I would definitely start the AB's. The strep might not be showing up yet. PVJ&T's for a quick recovery. Strep is horrid. :(

I have an anxious 5 year old. He was much more anxious at 4. Not in a religious way, but in a needing to be constantly reassured way. He asks about tornados, storms, hurricanes, war, etc. He also gets very scared at night and sleeps with us. We are one of those AP co-sleeping families. :D He does say a prayer at night to help him not be scared and that's okay by me. To him, it's reassurance. Now, if he was praying to a god that was vengeful and sent people to hell for not believing, then no that wouldn't be okay.

Oak Meadow: I'm contemplating packing up Sonlight and returning it. I might just go with Oak Meadow if DS can handle the LA.

Universe: YES, I find it incredibly comforting that we are just a tiny part of something so BIG! I don't feel like that takes away my purpose in life or feel lost wondering what I'm supposed to do with my life. Instead, I want to learn everything I can and just bask in all of the wonder of it all. :D

Patron Athiest Saints = Carl Sagan and Christopher Hitchens.

Can we add Neil DeGrasse Tyson as our pope?

I watch my cats love on me and follow me where I go and am in awe of it. They are animals but show love. People say animals don't have souls and souls are what make humans think and feel. To me, I just have to watch my pets and know that's not true at all.

Guest inoubliable

Parents love for children: I never understood what love truly was until I had my first son. It wasn't even right at birth that I realized this. He was a few months old and sick at the time when I looked down at him and realized how much I loved him and it hurt. It hurt for me to think of losing him. I knew that I would die without him. I've never known love that deep.

This, almost every word. My oldest was in the NICU after he was born and so I didn't even have much contact with him for a couple of weeks. It was when he was starting to get better and I went to see him a few days before he was released and I realized that there had been a very real chance that he might not have come home with me. That hit me like a ton of bricks. I literally fell into the rocking chair beside him in his incubator crib thing and just LOOKED at him. For the longest time. Trying to remember what my life was like before he was there. And I couldn't.

Patron Athiest Saints = Carl Sagan and Christopher Hitchens.

Can we add Neil DeGrasse Tyson as our pope?

:laugh: Seconded.

Oh. Well, we get spyed upon so the cult people can feel better about themselves and know who to pray for. :laugh:

Oh I hope not. Rationally I know it doesn't matter, but emotionally it gives me the willies. I hate the thought that someone would presume like that. The only think that freaks me out more is the LDS baptisms of the dead. It seems so profoundly disrespectful of someone's wishes to coopt them posthumously. I wish there was a spiritual "no soliciting" sign.

I talk to myself in my head. Maybe that means I'm a saint.

Jackie

I've been doing a lot of reading on why humans made religion. It does have to do with a longing of belonging, not being alone, and the need to have explanations and answers.

Death is hard to wrap ones head around. Life is hard to wrap ones head around. I'm in my 30s and I still have anxiety at times about death. Death is sad.

Is there more to it than stringing pretty beads on a thread and thinking about stuff while you fiddle with them?

You know, you're brilliant. Not until you mentioned the word "fiddle" did it even occur to me to give my ds a beaded string to fiddle with while doing lessons.

Sorry, for everyone who is sick. And dbmamaz, wow you're really going through the wringer right now.

The only think that freaks me out more is the LDS baptisms of the dead. It seems so profoundly disrespectful of someone's wishes to coopt them posthumously. I wish there was a spiritual "no soliciting" sign.

I once dated a Catholic (Spanish culture Catholic) and we visited the big geneology building in SLC. He wanted to see if any of his ancestors were to be found. He found records on his grandfather and a great uncle or something. Both had been "baptized" LDS. He was livid. Livid. He demanded to know how that church could be allowed to do that without even contacting family members, and why a church would do that. He did not have nice things to say. When he told his mom she freaked out and went to her priest. He assured her that her family members were still Catholic and that this baptism meant nothing. Then he did a blessing for them and that helped her fell better.

Death is hard to wrap ones head around. Life is hard to wrap ones head around. I'm in my 30s and I still have anxiety at times about death. Death is sad.

Irish comedian Dylan Moran says that religion is organized panic about death. It's pretty funny as part of his act, but I also think it's very true.

Yes, he's on YouTube. Have fun. :D

I already lost hours on Tim Minchin and now you throw another one at me?

If you ever get the chance to see him live, do it. It was a year and a half since he toured over here, but we still talk about it. If they'd bring Jesus Christ Superstar over here, I'd consider planning a family vacation around that. I just adore him.

His Heritage Orchestra DVD is worth a buy.

ETA: Dylan Moran is brilliant!

Why haven't I checked this thread before?

I guess I am spending tonight with YouTube.

I think the process of dying is terrifying (cancer.....pain). Being dead isn't.... Or maybe there is no difference. You know all of these fantastic near death experiences and warmth and happiness they report, brain must have some amazing coping mechanism for death. Maybe it does trick you into feeling you are going into a magical place. Maybe the very end is more soothing than it appears.

Irish comedian Dylan Moran says that religion is organized panic about death. It's pretty funny as part of his act, but I also think it's very true.

Yes, he's on YouTube. Have fun. :D

I've a major crush on Dylan Moran. Never have I laughed so hard at a pubic hair joke...

I guess I am spending tonight with YouTube.

I think the process of dying is terrifying (cancer.....pain). Being dead isn't.... Or maybe there is no difference. You know all of these fantastic near death experiences and warmth and happiness they report, brain must have some amazing coping mechanism for death. Maybe it does trick you into feeling you are going into a magical place. Maybe the very end is more soothing than it appears.

I'm not afraid of dying at all, but maybe that's because I'm a lifelong insomniac, so I look at it as finally getting to sleep forever. The only part I hate thinking about is not being there for my kids. When my sister was dying of cancer, she was in so much pain and was just hanging on by a thread for so long, and at the time I couldn't understand it because I would have wanted to just let go of the pain and the struggle and go to sleep. But after I had kids I totally got it — it wasn't that she wanted to have one more day of her own life, it was that she wanted to share one more day of her kids' lives. :crying:

Jackie

Moira, We joked about a road trip, I think to New York, a while ago. I think it was Minchin related. Maybe Matilda?

That be nice, especially if it opened sometime after my budget stops getting hammered by unexpected crap.

That be nice, especially if it opened sometime after my budget stops getting hammered by unexpected crap.

I think it was Matilda. I'd rather go see JCS, though. I heard the DVD was auto-tuned. Not cool. I think it would take years to save up for NYC. As it is, we're fortunate to get to the beach before the summer.

I think it was Matilda. I'd rather go see JCS, though. I heard the DVD was auto-tuned. Not cool. I think it would take years to save up for NYC. As it is, we're fortunate to get to the beach before the summer.

It was Matilda.

Autotuned? Ugh. I think I'm going to have to see AD/BC again, just to cleanse.

The more I'm reading about it, the more irritated I am. I really wanted this DVD. I'll just have to watch King Herod on Netflix and Tim Minchin's Judas on youtube.

ETA: Tim is pissed.

Link to explain the ETA? Minchin got angry Matilda got autotuned? (I would be too!)

I'm going to try to track down his Judas online. I heard he was brilliant.

You know the double standard is beginning to choke me. Since I get no real input on HSing stuff(being on the bad list and all) I hope that an alternative location pops up soon.

The double standard has been throughout the dawn of time. Meh. Just look how many people see it now though! :D

I once dated a Catholic (Spanish culture Catholic) and we visited the big geneology building in SLC. He wanted to see if any of his ancestors were to be found. He found records on his grandfather and a great uncle or something. Both had been "baptized" LDS. He was livid. Livid. He demanded to know how that church could be allowed to do that without even contacting family members, and why a church would do that. He did not have nice things to say. When he told his mom she freaked out and went to her priest. He assured her that her family members were still Catholic and that this baptism meant nothing. Then he did a blessing for them and that helped her fell better.

I was engaged to a Catholic man from SLC for a couple of years (that's why I went through RCIA). He and his entire family despised the LDS church. When they told me about the LDS forcing baptism upon the dead, that made me ill. My only consolation was that rational religious people think it's insane and doesn't count because that's a cult. It's like going to a dead person's grave and claiming them for Pan. Good luck with that.

Guys. I think I just need some virtual hugs today from other non-religious folk.

I had this entire post typed out and decided it was too personal for the public forum.

Suffice it to say that one of my very best friends has become more and more religious to the point that I'm worried for her and for one of her children (my 12yo's best friend). She's become a submissive, helpmeet wife. Gag. She has given over so much control over her own life to her husband (as the "sprititual leader of the household").

My son's friend is becoming so legalistic that my ds is confused.

I had originally wanted advice. Now, I just want to be around people who aren't religious. Who see how scary it is to give up your life like that to any other person. I am honestly sick to my stomach over it. She is a good friend. I don't want to lose her (the advice that I had originally wanted). I almost feel like I've lost her already.

I'm just sad and lonely, the saddest kind of lonely. They kind where your friend is sitting right there, but you just feel alone.

I don't argue religion with people. I don't ever bring it up at all. She knows I'm an atheist. I was fine with her being religious. It wasn't a defining point in our friendship. Now? It's just the conversations. How conservative she's gotten. How submissive (it really, really, really bothers me!).

Don't know where this post is going. But, I know I'm safe to express it here, even if it doesn't make sense. My dh gets it and he is so sad for me. I guess I just needed hugs.