Menu

What do you like in your scrambled eggs?

Dad's nutritionist wants him to eat two eggs a day. He eats them for breakfast.

It's my job to cook them for him on Monday mornings, and then he will reheat the individual servings on Tuesday through Friday.

So each week, I'd like to vary the eggs a bit for him so he doesn't get bored. Aside from needing a lot of protien (hence the eggs), he needs low sodium and low sugar.

On Monday when I was there, I chopped up a bit of onion and green pepper, sauteed them in a bit of olive oil, then added the eggs and scrambled them. I melted a bit of shredded cheese on top at the end. He LOVED them. (Dad sure is a grateful person to cook for.)

So give me any and all ideas of how I can keep my dad's eggs interesting! :)

Crustless Quiche, made in muffin tins, will freeze up great and he can warm it up in the microwave. Spinach and onions is very good. Diced Tomatos and mushrooms or broccoli and salsa are good (though you will have to check the sodium content on the salsa).

And if he's not a quiche guy, call them "Baked Eggs"

I've always like meat with mine not sure if there are low sodium versions of all these but some possibilities sausage. bacon, ham, canadian bacon, chicken, shredded roast beef. Does he like mexican food? I've added black beans and salsa. Other veggies such as shredded zucchini, mushrooms, tomatoes. Vary the flavor of cheese, I think stronger cheese flavors work better swiss, sharp cheddar, pepperjack, fresh parmesan, asiago, feta. You could try different flavors of oil, sesame, coconut, flavored olive oils (such as garlic or red pepper).

Our current favorite way to eat them is with spinach and feta cheese, served in pita pockets. Everyone will eat these "green eggs," even my picky ones. I also always cook eggs with a generous sprinkle of garlic pepper.

Ooo! I second spinach and feta! Recently we used parm in a pinch but feta is our favorite. I'm not sure about the salt content of the cheese though a little goes a long way.

I think pretty much any cheese is good in eggs so look for more interesting types if your dad likes cheese. Parmesean and thyme . . .mushroom and goat cheese . . . sun dried tomato and mozzarella. Any kind of vegetable shredded or chopped small is good. I agree with making egg muffins in a muffin tin. These are easier to reheat and I think taste fine cold. I'm not a huge fan of cold or reheated scrambled eggs.

I love goat cheese and spinach in them (although in the interest of full disclousre, I'm not the biggest fan of egs anyway).

Today I sauteed some onion, garlic and fresh spinach, then added the eggs and some roast beefl and topped them with diced avocado and a homemade horseradish sauce (homemade mayo, because I'm doing paleo this month, mixed with ground horseradish).

This may be my new favorite.

Does your dad like hard-boiled or pickled eggs? If he does, you could change up the breakfasts a bit, and he could eat the eggs for lunch or as snacks. That way, he would still get the eggs he needs, yet have some other options for breakfast a few days a week.

I second the quiche option, because you can make different kinds, and quiche is easy to reheat in the microwave.

Your dad is so lucky to have you!!! :)

salsa and cheese

just cheese

mushrooms

ketchup on top

cream cheese

leftover dinner meat

onions & peppers

did I say cheese?

One of my all time favs though (but I would eat this for dinner): shredded cabbage, sauteed in olive oil, some garlic, maybe onions. Brown it up real nice, and spread in the pan; pour eggs over the top and cook till eggs "set".

Your Dad is very lucky to have you helping him!

~coffee~

Eggs with a bit of chopped dill

Wilt baby spinach stir in eggs and shredded parm

You could cook a broccoli or asparagus frittata that he could eat after reheating leftovers. I can't do links. Basically stir fry savory veggies with broccoli (or asparagus ). Pour the veggies into a greased baking dish (I do it all in my cast iron which is oven proof), scramble half a dozen eggs with some milk, basil, salt and pepper. Pour egg mix over veggies. Top with parm. Bake 18-20 minutes until set in the middle.

My standard breakfast is a couple of fried eggs, over easy or medium, with a touch of salt and pepper, but I also make omelets a lot with sauteed mushrooms and cheddar or Swiss cheese. DH makes really yummy omelets on weekends and adds dried tomatoes and onions to the mushrooms and cheese.

We also sometimes pour the omelet batter and mix-ins into muffin cups and bake them in the oven for about 25 minutes at 350, instead of using the skillet on the stove.

I also like the sweet omelet sometimes, as a change. I saute some walnuts in butter until they're toasted, and then I remove them from the skillet and add a mixture of eggs, a splash of milk, and a tiny bit of liquid stevia (not sugar). Once that's mostly cooked, I add the walnuts and a few dollops of cream cheese, and then I fold the eggs over like a traditional omelet. Sometimes I sprinkle some cinnamon in with the walnuts. It's a little sweet, not overly so, and it kind of reminds me of stuffed french toast.

Bethany, frittata is easy to make, is good to eat hot or cold, can make a good lunch or light dinner (in addition to breakfast), and lasts pretty well. When you're cooking for your dad, you might consider making a couple frittatas and leaving them in the fridge.

I like to saute greens and scramble them into the eggs. Bacon, ham, leftover ground beef all make good add-ins for eggs, and especially with the greens.

Sometimes we add leftover rice and salsa to scrambled eggs and eat it plain or wrap it in a tortilla.

Cat

I do the onion and bell pepper like you do, and also zucchini and mushrooms. Sometimes I do all four together. We don't use cheddar on top, but shredded parmesan instead.

I also love to cut a corn tortilla into bite sized pieces and throw it in while scrambling an egg. Don't know how that would reheat but it's very good, with or without the veggies.

Spinach, feta, kalamata olives, green onion

-or-

Onion, broccoli, spinach, carrot, and cheddar or parmesan

Those are my two go-to breakfast scrambles. I also like breakfast burritos with black beans, cheese, sour cream, and salsa. Another thing we like to do is make a sort of frittata with shredded potato as a bottom layer, then egg on top (with any of the above-mentioned scramble mix-ins). You just bake the whole thing till done; it keeps well in the fridge for a couple days and heats up well for leftovers. Of course, you'll probably want to go lighter on the cheese than we do if you're looking to keep it low sodium.

I haven't read all of the answers, but I love chopped tomatoes, sharp cheddar and basil in mine.

Other good options:

sauteed onions, black olives, and salsa

black beans (low sodium), mexican cheese, salsa

diced chicken and cooked potatoes with paprika & pepper - you can also add veggies to this

broccoli and cubed ham or crumbled bacon

My favorites are mushrooms and onions.

I would consider making a strata or egg casserole (maybe without the bread if he is diabetic). He could eat that all week.

This is a quick link to AllRecipes page. They are variations on the same idea. Put in what he wants/can have and go from there. If you can make it in mufin tins it would be portioned out and you can vary each "cup" so he has choices.