Menu

If you got money as a gift, are you using it to buy curriculum or school items?

Momof2littles

Since I'm pulling my daughter out of PS in a few weeks, I will be spending some of my Christmas money on school stuff. I'll need to get TT Algebra I and I'll be enrolling her in German II through OSU. But, I already spent some of my money on clothes from the Gap and LL Bean!

Yup. My newly 4 yo has decided that she is ready to do school every day with the rest of us and wants "real" schoolbooks. I had planned on starting her mid-2013 but I just ordered her HWT, Kumon Cutting and Pasting, Singapore Math, Developing the Early Learner, her own lap sized whiteboard & eraser, and I need to dig out all of my PK-K stuff....Lauri puzzles, lacing shapes, my box of cool science supplies (mirror, prism, plastic flasks, rock typing kit, etc.), OPGTR, and my stack of games. I'll probably add a few fun things to that stash once I see what she's interested in.

I hope she'll still want to do art projects and play with the little people and kitchen stuff we have. She's been sitting in on SOTW and playing on starfall, but she wants to be a big kid. I was so excited to "start school" with my oldest when he was 2.5-3.....and now, a few kids down the road, I would prefer to wait to start until 5....

Already did, LOL. Spent a little of the money my grandma gave me a week or so ago for the small curriculum add-ins I wanted to start this next semester. (Memoria Press States & Capitals... sick of my kids confusing north carolina with north korea - lol, CHC health, a K math book for my 4 yr old who wants to "do school, too," and a couple other things.)

Yep, I got $50 from my grandfather and step grandmother, she handed it to me on Christmas Eve and said, buy your kids Christmas or your Christmas or whatever. lol So I've decided to put it towards History Odyssey Ancients Level 2 (anyone want to sell me their's ;) )I also want the timeline from Pandia Press but I don't have enough to get both.

I always spent every penny of my gift money on curricula for the boys. I think that was a mistake--having them see me never buy myself anything nice year after year. People watch how we treat ourselves and treat us that way and worse. I taught them to believe I don't deserve nice things and am not worthy of gifts. Not only is that bad for me, but I think it's bad for them.

Hubby got me a laminator for Christmas, does that count?

Actually I am using a bit of money on a few things to finish setting up our school area, a pocket chart calender, and maybe a nice paper cutter if I can find a good price. The rest will probably go into savings until we find something we really want.

My parents gave some money to use on my kids. We spend some on their Lego Mindstorm. We are getting materials for setting up a vivarium, mini greenhouse and bateria culture as that is what my boys requested. The rest of the money will be spent on reference materials and school items as my boys plan their annual science projects.

I am tempted to get a better microscope and a good telescope as well as good field binoculars for them.

I'll use some of it for clothes and some of it for school things. I consider buying fun new school items that don't fit in the normal budget to be edifying to my life as a homeschool mom. I don't consider it a selfless act. :) As for what I'll get--right now I have Sally Michael's God's Names and God's Promises in my cart as well as an animal habitat book. I'm also eyeing the Life of Fred Elementary Physics book.

Yes, I bought All About Spelling (been wanting a real spelling curriculum and am excited) and two Life of Fred books (which we've also never tried). The rest we are using on a ski vacation in January!! Yeah!!!

p.s. This is my first post on these boards, so I hope this works! I've been a reader for a while, excited to be a poster! :)

I probably would have been tempted to buy school items if I hadn't already ordered a bunch a curriculum in early December for our second semester.

My MIL gave me an Amazon GC and I used it to order a set of three kings to add to my Nativity Set. She'll be happy when I tell her.

No. I rarely have much money to spend on myself. I think it is so important for moms (and dads too) to spend time and money on themselves so they don't burn out. I have learned the hard way. Homeschooling is my job, but I no longer want it to be my hobby as well. For me that means not spending "my" money on hs stuff and not reading hs books, articles, blogs, etc. for fun.

My parents and dh's parents gave us an "endowment fund for the school" with money designated for anything school related. It can be used for museums, books, supplies, field trips...even the gas to get to the field trips! We were so excited! It sure is nice to ease some of that financial pressure. I also got a zoo membership and Rosetta Stone from my parents which are both considered school things. So, any other gift cards can be used on Mommy treats. :)