Menu

Recommend your most encouraging homeschooling book?

I've been so inspired by reading Marva Collins Way. It's the story of an African American teacher who, after being driven out of public school by a short sighted administration, started a classical school herself. The book gives very detailed information about how exactly she taught classically in the classroom. The stories of the children she taught, often rejected as unteachable by public schools (this was the 1970's), who learned to read in 6th grade in some cases, and went on to success in college, are very moving and inspiring to me. It helped me to believe that if children like that could be successfully taught, then my ordinary kids could too.

The first homeschooling book I ever read was A sense of self : listening to homeschooled adolescent girls by Susannah Sheffer. It was written in response to the book Reviving Ophelia which showed that girls' sense of self esteem decreased during the adolescent years. Sheffer interviewed homeschooled adolescent girls and showed just the opposite. It made a huge impression on me because I didn't learn to stand up for myself until I was in my 30's. I read this book before ds was school age. I don't have any dds. But, I hoped that the same would happen for hs'ed boys.

Good luck!

Not sucking up...

But I really was and am impressed with the old copy of The Well Trained Mind I bought 2nd hand years ago after I had already been teaching my dd for a few years. Up til then we had used a mix of school texts and home made stuff .

That had been working well, but I really loved the teaching of concepts I got through that book.

Actually probably due for a read through,

My 'new' pupil has reached middle school in lots of stuff, so I could do with a re-zealing of possibilities.

(Now I only came on to print out a Taramasu recipe, so I'd better go. We've got our Christmas Eve Midnight Mass in a few hours.)

I have to agree with TWTM. I have loaned my extra copy to a couple of friends who had decided to send their older children to school because they lacked the confidence to continue with home ed. They are all still at home and doing very well. It really helped them.

I thought this looks fascinating so I took a look at the "Look Inside" part. It mentions women are especially prone to believing lies. The sample ends soon after, so I have no idea if the author offers any evidence. I bet it is nonsense, though. And a little sexist.

Nice.

Probably souldn't have an opinion unless you actually read it.

Clearly, I did read the few sentences that I was commenting on. I also saw the names of the chapters, and I think the topics discussed are important. Many of us suffer from the things described, and I am sure much of this book would benefit most homeschooling moms. The author's view that women are more likely to believe in lies puts me right off the whole thing. I would be shocked if any woman agreed with that, actually.

Since you did read this book and value it, did the author have any scientific basis for this claim?

I don't recommend books I don't read, nor do I comment on books I haven't. I loved it, and highly recommend it the the OP and FWIW, it was written because of the information he and his wife got directly from Moms, either written via letter or from his conventions. So don't read it.

You liked this book, and you are offended I am commenting on the very tiny portion that I did read. I wouldn't recommend books I have not read either, but I do use samples to get a preview where I can. I was offended. The rest of the book may be absolutely wonderful, but I reject the idea that women are more likely to believe in lies (because of Eve?). I hope other women do, too.

I'm offended at the harshness of your response in reference to something for the OP. If it was in response to something you asked, it would be a different story. On the other hand, you may be thinking of this book.

http://www.amazon.com/Lies-Women-Believe-Truth-that/dp/0802472966/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1356397123&sr=1-1&keywords=Lies+Women+Believe#_

Todd Wilson's book is funny and uplifting! As I said, the link was meant for the OP.

Todd Wilson's book is funny and uplifting! As I said, the link was meant for the OP.

I didn't read the whole thing either, but every time I've seen a quote or something by him posted, it has rubbed me the wrong way. I know his writing is meant to be a bit tongue in cheek, and I get that some people enjoy it, but I think it's fair to point out that it's definitely not for everyone.

I think it depends on why the OP's friend is down and what her reasons are for homeschooling in the first place as to what might inspire her.

Homeschooling for Excellence by the Colfaxes is still my ur-text.

I just read Marva Collins' Way for the first time and it was everything it was cracked up to be!

What these two books both gave me was confidence and a clear path. They both share the message that the will to succeed, plus some good books and a little structure, are all that's really needed to capably circumvent a broken government education system.

I've read a lot of homeschooling books, but when I'm feeling a bit frustrated or down in the dumps, the part that sticks with me the most is what Jessie Wise wrote in TWTM about her journey into homeschooling. She was a put together person, college graduate, experienced teacher -- and she was nervous! LOL! I remember that, and it truly helps me breathe.

I remember that Jessie's children were beyond learning to read when they entered Kindergarten. They were bored in school. The oldest (Bob) was starting to go downhill, instead of up. Jessie took her children to a psychologist to have them tested, and he encouraged her to continue teaching them herself at home.

There is something about that story that resonates with me. When I am struggling with my own doubts, the remarks of others, fatigue, frustration with our circumstances, or other issues, I come back to Jessie's story. Even with far fewer tools at her disposal -- imagine, no Internet! -- she did a fantastic job of teaching and nurturing three children into competent, productive adults.

I also loved her honesty. The house wasn't always picture perfect, her father had a brain tumor, there were science projects all over the place, her family had to deal with prejudices (they adopted a biracial child), and she put away her braided rug for another season of life. :) They were a real family, you know? They weren't perfect. Jessie even has a lecture entitled, "If I Could Do It Over Again." This, too, was helpful.

:grouphug: I hope you feel better.

Clearly, I did read the few sentences that I was commenting on. I also saw the names of the chapters, and I think the topics discussed are important. Many of us suffer from the things described, and I am sure much of this book would benefit most homeschooling moms. The author's view that women are more likely to believe in lies puts me right off the whole thing. I would be shocked if any woman agreed with that, actually.

Since you did read this book and value it, did the author have any scientific basis for this claim?

At the Amazon link there isn't a preview that I can see, but I do see this quote in the book description (I think from the back of the book?): "Most homeschooling moms are prone to believing lies that say, you're not good enough... you aren't qualified ... and you are ruining your children." Can you share where you saw that he says women are more prone to believing lies in general? If he did, that's a deal breaker for me on this book. lol

There are so many but I will list Sally Clarkson's Educating the Wholehearted Child.

I have to second this. I read it as I was making my decision to commit to homeschooling, and I found it very warm and encouraging. I don't even recall the specifics, just that it made me feel encouraged and up to the task of homeschooling.

At the Amazon link there isn't a preview that I can see, but I do see this quote in the book description (I think from the back of the book?): "Most homeschooling moms are prone to believing lies that say, you're not good enough... you aren't qualified ... and you are ruining your children." Can you share where you saw that he says women are more prone to believing lies in general? If he did, that's a deal breaker for me on this book. lol

In the preview, it says "We're all prone to believing lies, especially women." A couple of paragraphs later, after a few examples of internet hoaxes, it says "Now I don't mean to sound chauvinistic, but I would just about bet the farm that women are more prone to believing INTERNET lies than men."

This is all in the section immediately before the end of the preview.

In the preview, it says "We're all prone to believing lies, especially women." A couple of paragraphs later, after a few examples of internet hoaxes, it says "Now I don't mean to sound chauvinistic, but I would just about bet the farm that women are more prone to believing INTERNET lies than men."

Gads, don't you just hate when someone says, "I don't mean to be sexist, but women are so dumb." Or, "I don't mean to be racist, but black people are all inferior." Or, "I don't mean to be rude, but you are so ugly." Gag.

I read that, too, and thought, "Not in my inexperience." I don't mean to sound sexist and all, but....

The Well-Trained Mind

Help for the Harried Homeschooler by Christine Field

The Ultimate Guide to Homeschooling and The Ultimate Guide to Homeschooling Teens by Debra Bell

:grouphug:

I second this book too! “Help for the Harried Homeschooler by Christine Fieldâ€

Here’s a couple more in addition to what you’ve already got. All are good recommendations. You have a smorgasbord here for whatever ails you. All are good in their own way.

Things We Wish We’d Known (50 Veteran Homeschoolers Share…)

Beyond Survival by Diana Waring

Isn’t it great that what others hate is another person’s gold mine? I’m just glad we have choices!

It's been a while since I've found something really fabulous. I find a lot of the books I've seen lately were for new homeschoolers, or those considering it. I'd love something for people who have been doing it a while. Maybe I've just read too many, and nothing seems new anymore.

ETA: How about a magazine subscription? I love Life Learning, and bonus, it's all online, so when you subscribe, you get access to ALL their old issues. It's really pretty fantastic, and you're sure to find something you connect with. It is more of an "unschooling/life learning" type of magazine, but I adore it and get some fabulous recommendations from it. I'm really not an online magazine type of girl, so I have my husband print them off for me, and now I have a huge stack of reading material. I can make notes and refer back to them whenever I want.

Home Education Magazine is my other favorite = they do still have print versions, which I love.

It's been a while since I've found something really fabulous. I find a lot of the books I've seen lately were for new homeschoolers, or those considering it. I'd love something for people who have been doing it a while. Maybe I've just read too many, and nothing seems new anymore.

That's how I feel about it too. It feels like everything I read is really geared toward newbies. Sometimes it's well-written or has a gem in there or could be re-invigorating for some people, but it's really with the attitude that you are newly approaching this. It would be great to see books that are geared toward people partly through their homeschool journey. What would those look like, I wonder?

The things that have been most invigorating to me have been things with new ideas or perspectives. So, for example, the Project-Based Homeschooling book that a lot of people have read recently, while I didn't adore it, was invigorating because it made me think, reminded me what I believe in, had a few new thoughts for me to ponder, etc. And The Writer's Jungle was really invigorating to me because it got me fired up about teaching writing and filled me with ideas.

That's how I feel about it too. It feels like everything I read is really geared toward newbies. Sometimes it's well-written or has a gem in there or could be re-invigorating for some people, but it's really with the attitude that you are newly approaching this. It would be great to see books that are geared toward people partly through their homeschool journey. What would those look like, I wonder?

The things that have been most invigorating to me have been things with new ideas or perspectives. So, for example, the Project-Based Homeschooling book that a lot of people have read recently, while I didn't adore it, was invigorating because it made me think, reminded me what I believe in, had a few new thoughts for me to ponder, etc. And The Writer's Jungle was really invigorating to me because it got me fired up about teaching writing and filled me with ideas.

I bet you could write a good one :)

I completely agree with this. It is why my favorite books to read now are almost always books written for professional teachers. They reignite the spark.

:iagree:

I've given away most of the hs books I had -- too basic. The ones I've kept include TWTM, books by Rebecca Rupp, Books to Build On, and more 'professional' books (like Liping Ma on math, 6+1 Traits of Writing, etc.).

I get a lot of info and inspiration from hsers blogs.

So share! Like what?

Like everything. :lol: I read constantly. A while back, I made a plan for myself to read intensively about one subject per month. This has been pretty cool for me, as I am able to immerse myself in one subject at a time instead of running like a chicken without a head from a book on math to a chapter on history to a print-out on art...blah, blah, blah... It helps me reflect and retain. I divided up all my books and print-outs by subject. Some things I read for inspiration. Some I take notes from. Many times I simply read actual TM/IG resources with the goal of higher understanding and more accurate scheduling.

Anyway, this list is really embarrassing but I'm posting it anyway because I know some people love this kind of thing. (Probably most people roll their eyes, which is fine too. :tongue_smilie:) The thing is that sometimes for me the best inspiration to keep going is the feeling that I know the subject matter, feel confident teaching, and can impart some joy. Even for subjects which are not necessarily my favorites, it's good to know enough to encourage or inspire the kid for whom that subject is a favorite. :)

For the completely mentally insane...

Art

The Story of Art

Drawing with Children

Art in Story

DK: An Introduction to Art Techniques

First Steps Series: Sketching and Drawing

First Steps Series: Painting Watercolors

How to Teach Art to Children

The Art of Teaching Art to Children

Engaging Learners Through Artmaking

How to Talk to Children About Art

Raising Musical Kids

Integrating Music into the Elementary Classroom

CM

Education in the Heart of the Home

Charlotte Mason Companion

When Children Love to Learn

For the Children's Sake

Charlotte Mason Education/More CME

Charlotte Mason's Original Homeschooling Series

Educating the Whole-Hearted Child

General

100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum

The Complete Home Learning Source Book (This is my favorite HS book of all-time and comes closest to what I would most like our HS to resemble.)

Homeschooling at the Speed of Life

How to Design a Low-Cost Curriculum

The Well-Trained Mind

The Well-Educated Mind

The Latin-Centered Curriculum

Marva Collins' Way

The Organized Homeschooler

Climbing Parnassus

The Core

You Can Teach Your Child at Home

The Unschooling Handbook

Homeschool Your Child for Free

Discover Your Child's Learning Style

The Core Knowledge Sequence

Creative Homeschooling

History

Social Studies That Sticks

Connecting Children with Children

Ways That Work

Doing History

All Through the Ages

Philosophy for Kids

Home Life

The Rhythm of Family

The Creative Family

Playful Learning

The Family Virtues Guide

365 Manners Every Child Should Know

Everday Graces

All Year Round

The Children's Year

Mrs. Sharp's Traditions

The Teacher's Calendar

Language

Families Writing

Non-Fiction Matters

But How Do You Teach Writing

Writing with Ease

The Writer's Jungle

Trait-Based Writing

Rose, Where Did You Get That Red?

Awakening the Heart

MCTLA materials

Voyages in English materials

Nitty Gritty Grammar & More NGG

Writer's Desk Reference

Student Writing Handbook

Grammar Land

Lively Language Lessons w/Ruth Heller books

Pizza, Pigs, and Poetry

Poetry Goes to School

Reading Strands: Understanding Fiction

Spelling Power

Sentence Composing for Elementary School

Story Grammar for Elementary School

Living Memory

Latin for Children A materials

DownWrite Funny

Hot Fudge Monday

Teaching the Classics

Deconstructing Penguins

Written and Illustrated By…

Spider/Ask/Click Magazine teacher's guides

How to Get the Most Out of Teaching with Newspapers

Making Books that Fly, Fold...

First Language Lessons

Make Your Own Newspaper

Kids Write

No More "I'm Done!"

Show Me a Story

IEW TWSS-SWIA

Learning

Upside-Down Brilliance

Unicorns Are Real

How to Get Your Kid Off the Refrigerator and On to Learning

Homeschooling Gifted and Advanced Learners

Teaching Your Child to Love Learning: A Guide to Doing Projects at Home

Dreamers, Discoverers, and Dynamos

The Myth of the ADD Child

How Children Succeed

Study Is Hard Work

Reading Is Seeing

Comprehension & Collaboration

Nine Thousand Straws

I See What You Mean

The Art of Inquiry: Questioning Strategies for K-6 Classrooms

Active Questioning: Questioning Still Makes the Difference

Project-Based Homeschooling

That Crumpled Paper Was Due Last Week

Learning to Learn

Math

Math for Humans

Math Power

Elementary Mathematics for Teachers

Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics

About Teaching Mathematics

Miquon materials

The Cryptoclub

Top Secret

Kitchen Table Math 1, 2, 3

Games for Math

So You Think You're Smart

Math Puzzles Book

Mathematical Activities: A Resource Book for Teachers (Cambridge Education)

Math for Smarty Pants

The I Hate Mathematics Book

Curve Stitching

Drawing Stars and Building Polyhedra

Compass Drawings: Construction Designs Using a Compass and Ruler

Anno's Math 1, 2, 3

Mr. Base Ten Invents Mathematics

Chess for Children

Base Ten

Primary Grade Challenge Math

Family Math

How Math Works

Life of Fred materials

Math Art

RightStart Math Games

RightStart Activities for ALAbacus

Math Games & Activities from Around the World (x2)

The Secret Life of Math

Real World Math for Hands-On Fun

Science

Science Notebooks

Teaching Science with Interactive Notebooks

Creepy Crawlies and the Scientific Method

The Everyday Science Sourcebook

Doing What Scientists Do

Scaffolding Science Inquiry Through Lesson Design

Talking Their Way Into Science

What Will Happen If...

Organizing Wonder

Science Is Golden

Worms, Shadows, and Whirlpools

Mixing It Up

Inquire Within

Picture Science

Exemplary Science in Grades PreK-4

Science Stories

Outdoor Inquiries

Beyond the Science Kit

Writing in Science

Nature

Nature's Art Box

Illustrating Nature

Drawing from Nature

No Child Left Indoors

The Nature Connection

Nature's Playground

Keeping a Nature Journal

Coyote's Guide to Connecting With Nature

PE

Teaching Swimming and Water Safety

Teach Your Child to Swim

The Parents' Guide to Swimming

Homeschool Physical Education Game Book

YogaKids

Yoga Calm

plus various guides/rules to different sports

Reading

The Read-Aloud Handbook

How to Get Your Child to Love Learning

Readicide

Honey for a Child's Heart

Books to Build On

The Kids' Book Club Book

How to Read a Book

Books That Build Character

Classics in the Classroom

Anyway, this list is really embarrassing but I'm posting it anyway because I know some people love this kind of thing. (Probably most people roll their eyes, which is fine too. :tongue_smilie:) The thing is that sometimes for me the best inspiration to keep going is the feeling that I know the subject matter, feel confident teaching, and can impart some joy. Even for subjects which are not necessarily my favorites, it's good to know enough to encourage or inspire the kid for whom that subject is a favorite. :)

For the completely mentally insane...

The Complete Home Learning Source Book (This is my favorite HS book of all-time and comes closest to what I would most like our HS to resemble.)

This is a FANTASTIC list!!! So many of your choices are ones that I love -- that means I shall have to go and check everything else you mentioned, because I will probably like them too.... And, I am glad to find another Rebecca Rupp fan.

ETA Have you read Last Child in the Woods?

This is a FANTASTIC list!!! So many of your choices are ones that I love -- that means I shall have to go and check everything else you mentioned, because I will probably like them too.... And, I am glad to find another Rebecca Rupp fan.

ETA Have you read Last Child in the Woods?

Thanks and yes! Loved it! Also, another of my favorites is Hold on to Your Kids.