Menu

Please read my letter to our Virtual school admin..

fairfarmhand

Our virtual school has mandatory testing for 5th graders a total of about 8-9 school days in the spring. The tests will be offered in the largest city close to my home, but that could be about a 40 minute drive, not counting traffic, depending on what part of town the locations are. It will be impossible for us to come home in between the drop-off and pick up time, so pretty much most of our school day will be shot. (my kids don't work well in the afternoons, especially if we've had a crazy morning.)

I sent an email to the admin asking for the testing locations, since the first testing date is in Feb. She responded that the testing locations will not be known until 3 weeks prior to testing. I was hoping to know now, as if I am going to transfer out, I would like to do so at the semester, right after Christmas.

I'm not looking for suggestions about how to make it work. I just want you all to read the letter I am writing to the virtual school admin to make sure that I'm not coming across as one of THOSE parents.

"

Dear administrator,

Thanks for your response. As a long-time homeschooling mom, planning ahead is very important. I have three other children at home besides dd 10, and I've learned through the years that having a plan in place is necessary for everyone's sanity. The testing is a big deal to our family, since I will not be able to have a "normal" school day for any of my kids on those days. I know you are simply following the state guidelines for testing. Is there any possibilty that any of these tests will be offered online, rather than on-site? Since there are so many days, this would be a big help to our family.

If we have to leave the house for most of those dates, we may end up having to transfer her out of the program at the semester. Going all the way to "big city" will sideline the whole family's educational progress on those days, since it will take the majority of the day by the time we get out of the house, commute, take the test and pick her up. I promise I am not trying to be difficult or snotty about this issue. I realize that you have state-mandated requirements to deal with and hundreds of familes in your program, so I am not looking for exceptions or anything. I am simply explaining the issues as they will affect our family, and letting you know my reasoning. As you have to consider how things affect the the virtual school as a whole, I also must make decisions as they affect our family as a whole.

Mostly I am thinking through the possiblities and trying to figure out a way to make this work. Online testing would help. Testing locations that are within 20-30 minutes of my home would be helpful too.I didn't want to just transfer her out without giving you a chance to hear out my issues.

Thank you for any more information that you can give me in this regard."

What do you think?

I think your wording so fine, but I think you've overexplained. When dealing with those that deal with red tape, I tend to err on the side of less information. I'm not sure which parts I would leave out, maybe the part about the big city. I have a dog bugging me right now, I'll try to come back and take a look at it later.

This is way far too long. Keep it short and to the point.

If I understand your letter correctly (it was hard to wade through all the extra words), all you want to ask is whether there are options for closer or online testing, because the long commute is inconvenient for a family with multiple children?

That can be explained in three sentences.

I wouldn't send it. I would take the other kids to the libary while testing is going on and see if you can get some school work done while you were there. Your letter makes it sound like this is more about you and your other children. This school doesn't really care about that. They are following what they need to do and that is 8 days of testing. I'm assuming you knew about the testing when you signed her up?

I can't imagine they would allow online testing. How would they be able to monitor/proctor that?

I would plan on the 8 days of testing and make arrangements for your other kids.

I agree that you've overexplained. I think it's fine to send a note to get answers to your remaining questions, but I would keep it short and sweet.

"Dear Administrator,

Thank you for your response. I understand that the testing locations won't be finalized until 3 weeks prior to testing. However, could you answer the following questions for me?

• what are the potential testing locations (this will help us better plan our time/schedule during the testing period)?
  • is online testing available?

Thanks!"

I agree that you've overexplained. I think it's fine to send a note to get answers to your remaining questions, but I would keep it short and sweet.

"Dear Administrator,

Thank you for your response. I understand that the testing locations won't be finalized until 3 weeks prior to testing. However, could you answer the following questions for me?

• what are the potential testing locations (this will help us better plan our time/schedule during the testing period)?

• is online testing available?

Thanks!"

Yes. Too long and wordy. The school does not care about your logistical problems with other children or your homeschooling. Do this, if anything.

Our virtual school has mandatory testing for 5th graders a total of about 8-9 school days in the spring. The tests will be offered in the largest city close to my home, but that could be about a 40 minute drive, not counting traffic, depending on what part of town the locations are. It will be impossible for us to come home in between the drop-off and pick up time, so pretty much most of our school day will be shot. (my kids don't work well in the afternoons, especially if we've had a crazy morning.)

I sent an email to the admin asking for the testing locations, since the first testing date is in Feb. She responded that the testing locations will not be known until 3 weeks prior to testing. I was hoping to know now, as if I am going to transfer out, I would like to do so at the semester, right after Christmas.

I'm not looking for suggestions about how to make it work. I just want you all to read the letter I am writing to the virtual school admin to make sure that I'm not coming across as one of THOSE parents.

"

Dear administrator,

Thanks for your response. As a long-time homeschooling mom, planning ahead is very important. I have three other children at home besides dd 10, and I've learned through the years that having a plan in place is necessary for everyone's sanity. The testing is a big deal to our family, since I will not be able to have a "normal" school day for any of my kids on those days. I know you are simply following the state guidelines for testing. Is there any possibilty that any of these tests will be offered online, rather than on-site? Since there are so many days, this would be a big help to our family.

If we have to leave the house for most of those dates, we may end up having to transfer her out of the program at the semester. Going all the way to "big city" will sideline the whole family's educational progress on those days, since it will take the majority of the day by the time we get out of the house, commute, take the test and pick her up. I promise I am not trying to be difficult or snotty about this issue. I realize that you have state-mandated requirements to deal with and hundreds of familes in your program, so I am not looking for exceptions or anything. I am simply explaining the issues as they will affect our family, and letting you know my reasoning. As you have to consider how things affect the the virtual school as a whole, I also must make decisions as they affect our family as a whole.

Mostly I am thinking through the possiblities and trying to figure out a way to make this work. Online testing would help. Testing locations that are within 20-30 minutes of my home would be helpful too.I didn't want to just transfer her out without giving you a chance to hear out my issues.

Thank you for any more information that you can give me in this regard."

What do you think?

My edit in blue:

Thank you for your prompt response. I fully understand the need for state testing in this program. However, because I need to plan for the educational needs of other children, I wonder if it would be possible to know the testing locations sooner than three weeks out. I would also be curious if there are online options planned for this semester or in the future. This information would be greatly appreciated.

All the rest is important to you but they won't giving a hoot really.

Thanks. Great suggestions. WRT to knowing about testing beforehand...

At enrollment we were told." Your student will have some testing at a testing center near your house. " Then the hand book comes out in NOVEMBER that has all the details of the testing. The dates are

February 4-8 (Specific date TBD)

February 20 & 21

April 22-April 26

May 1 & 2

Not all of these are full days of testing, but to my knowledge we will have to go to the testing center to have them done.

To the person who suggested my oldest stay at home with the littles, I've considered it, but it just wouldn't work. With some kids it might. But I'd come home and my high schooler would have no work done and blame it on the littles. (probably would be a somewhat decent excuse too, since they can be a handful) My second grader MIGHT have a bit done, but it would be sloppy and half hearted.

I think I'll just dump the whole original letter and start over.

My husband really wants me to let them know my issues before we just withdraw from the program, because he says how can they know how to improve it if people don't complain or let them know of their limitations.

I've found that this program seems to be geared to people who probably have one or maybe two kids. IMHO, it is very difficult to make it work with larger families.

The testing seems like a ton for me. Not all students at all levels are tested this extensively. My dd is just in one of the grade levels that gets a lot of testing. The longest period of testing are the days in April. That is the typical standardized tests. The others are writing assessments and something called Constructed Response Assessments.

How is this?

"Thank you for your prompt response. I fully understand the need for state testing in this program. However, because I need to plan for the educational needs of other children, I was hoping to learn of the testing locations as soon as possible. Are there any possibilities for online testing for any of the dates listed in the handbook?

If the commute to the testing sites is not closer to my home, I will likely have to withdraw dd 10 from the program. I was hoping to get the information sooner so that, if we need to withdraw, we could make the change at Christmas break in order to minimize the disruption to her learning."

Ah ok.

So you brought this horror on yourself? (LOL...just teasing you.)

:rolleyes: :D

Not one of my more brilliant moves....

Seriously, had I been told about how much testing she would be required to do, and that the locations would be so far away, we would not have done this.

I'm also annoyed at how focused the whole program is on standardized testing.

I got an e-mail from the school admin telling me that the goals for the program were for all the tested kids to complete Study Island (their test practicing program--they're supposed to do at least 15 minutes daily) and to do "some" of the history and science curriculum. So textbooks, projects and learning are not as important as completing their standardized test practice program?

Is it possible some of those dates are actually testing windows? For example, the state of Georgia says the Economics EOCT will be given Dec 3-14. The test takes two and a half hours. That just means some time in that two week testing window the school has to give the Econ EOCT, not every day during the two weeks.

The Feb 4-8 specific date TBD might be a window.

Thanks. Great suggestions. WRT to knowing about testing beforehand...

At enrollment we were told." Your student will have some testing at a testing center near your house. " Then the hand book comes out in NOVEMBER that has all the details of the testing. The dates are

February 4-8 (Specific date TBD)

February 20 & 21

April 22-April 26

May 1 & 2

Not all of these are full days of testing, but to my knowledge we will have to go to the testing center to have them done.

To the person who suggested my oldest stay at home with the littles, I've considered it, but it just wouldn't work. With some kids it might. But I'd come home and my high schooler would have no work done and blame it on the littles. (probably would be a somewhat decent excuse too, since they can be a handful) My second grader MIGHT have a bit done, but it would be sloppy and half hearted.

I think I'll just dump the whole original letter and start over.

My husband really wants me to let them know my issues before we just withdraw from the program, because he says how can they know how to improve it if people don't complain or let them know of their limitations.

I've found that this program seems to be geared to people who probably have one or maybe two kids. IMHO, it is very difficult to make it work with larger families.

The testing seems like a ton for me. Not all students at all levels are tested this extensively. My dd is just in one of the grade levels that gets a lot of testing. The longest period of testing are the days in April. That is the typical standardized tests. The others are writing assessments and something called Constructed Response Assessments.

Is it possible to ditch the virtual school?

I'm not anti virtual schools, but I would not like this at all. Might as well send the kid to school. KWIM?

I know. That has been my thoughts too. I figured it would simplify my life to have other people help me reduce planning and grading, but it's become a hassle of jumping through hoops and meeting bureaucratic benchmarks.

The irony is this: I like the K12 part of the program. However, the powers that be decided to add in minimum hours, standardized testing and goofy oversight as a part of meeting the state mandates. We spend the day checking off boxes, which is not my idea of a fun homeschool day. It IS a lot like going to "regular" school. In fact, it is more like regular school than homeschool. The K12 program is a GREAT stand-alone program, and they didn't NEED to add a bunch of stuff to it. I suppose that the people who designed the virtual school thought that k12 wouldn't be enough like traditional school, so they needed to make it more like it.

I don't know, though, those are just my impressions from a mom who has been homeschooling for ten years.

I'd drop it in a heartbeat, but my dh really wants it to work. He is concerned about sending the message to the kids that we are quitters. I almost have him convinced. We're getting there, but I don't want to push him too much. I do think that it has helped with my and the kids' self-discipline to answer to someone else.

I take it this is your first year with a K12 school? Those 8 days are a testing WINDOW meaning they will schedule 2-3 consecutive days during those 8 days to take the test. We had to drive 4 hours there and 7 back (rush hour traffic in LA is a nightmare and we couldn't afford a hotel) 2 days in a row for state testing last year. We don't do school period during testing days, isn't that part of the beauty of homeschooling that you can be flexible and take a few days off? You also have the option for pay for K12 out of pocket, I did and found it a much better fit for us even though its hard on the pocket book.

I take it this is your first year with a K12 school? Those 8 days are a testing WINDOW meaning they will schedule 2-3 consecutive days during those 8 days to take the test. We had to drive 4 hours there and 7 back (rush hour traffic in LA is a nightmare and we couldn't afford a hotel) 2 days in a row for state testing last year. We don't do school period during testing days, isn't that part of the beauty of homeschooling that you can be flexible and take a few days off? You also have the option for pay for K12 out of pocket, I did and found it a much better fit for us even though its hard on the pocket book.

all of the listed days are not consecutive. There are specific dates with specific tests listed next to each one.

Dear Administrator,

Thank you for your response. As a long-time homeschooling mom, planning ahead is very important to me. I have three other children at home besides dd 10, and I've learned through the years that having a plan in place is necessary for everyone's sanity. The testing is a big deal to our family, since I will not be able to have a "normal" school day for any of my kids on those days. I know you are simply following the state guidelines for testing. Is there a possibility that any of these tests will be offered online, rather than on-site? Since there are so many days of testing, an accommodation of this sort would be a big help to our family.

If we have to leave the house for most of those dates, we may end up having to transfer our daughter out of the program at the beginning of next semester. If we have to travel to "big city" for eight or nine days in the spring, this disruption will sideline the whole family's educational progress on those days. Due to our location, the amount of travel time involved in the testing days will take the majority of the day.

I am not trying to be difficult about this issue. I realize that you have state-mandated requirements to deal with and hundreds of families in your program. I am not looking for exceptions, but do want to explain the issues as they will affect our family, and let you know my reasoning for asking about online testing options. In the same way that you have to consider how things affect the the virtual school as a whole, I also must make take into account how this testing situation will affect our family as a whole.

I have been thinking through the possibilities and trying to figure out a way to make this work. Online testing would certainly help, if it is allowed for families traveling a long distance. Testing locations that are within 20-30 minutes of my home would be helpful too. I didn't want to just transfer her out without giving you a chance to hear out my issues.

Thank you for any more information that you can give me in this regard.

Your letter sounds fine. I made the edits that I would make (if it were my letter) in red. Hope that helps.

So, your oldest misses one day or a half day of school to babysit? What's wrong with that? They have days off all year in public school for all kinds of reasons. Can't he/she make it up at night or on a weekend?

One of the great things about home schooling is having a day off for your convenience.

If you're sure your child would actually have 8 days of testing, then is it possible to plan some field trips and/or library days for the littles in the city? Depending on your younger kids' ages, you might be able to find a reasonably quiet spot to do some schoolwork, then head to an interesting spot or a park to play in, then do a little more work before it's time to pick up your 10yo.

But I would clarify that each child really will be there for 8 days; that seems highly unusual.

My edit in blue:

Thank you for your prompt response. I fully understand the need for state testing in this program. However, because I need to plan for the educational needs of other children, I wonder if it would be possible to know the testing locations sooner than three weeks out. I would also be curious if there are online options planned for this semester or in the future. This information would be greatly appreciated.

All the rest is important to you but they won't giving a hoot really.

I agree with this version. Your original is too wordy, but I was trying to stick with what you had and edit it as little as possible. I agree with Paula, though, shorter is better. And I tend to be long-winded. :lol:

:rolleyes: :D

Not one of my more brilliant moves....

Seriously, had I been told about how much testing she would be required to do, and that the locations would be so far away, we would not have done this.

I'm also annoyed at how focused the whole program is on standardized testing.

I got an e-mail from the school admin telling me that the goals for the program were for all the tested kids to complete Study Island (their test practicing program--they're supposed to do at least 15 minutes daily) and to do "some" of the history and science curriculum. So textbooks, projects and learning are not as important as completing their standardized test practice program?

I am in the same boat with twin 5th grade boys right now. I just about gave up last week. It is still a week at a time around here. People warned me not to do this, but I didn't listen. I wanted the support. Oh, holy heck!!!!! This is obnoxious!!!!

Honestly, I am on the phone with their teachers quite a bit and we have discussed these issues a lot. Then last week I emailed the principal to over benchmarks, yeah, this hasn't been fun.

Oh, and our 5th graders have to pass the reading and math portions of the state test or they cannot advance to 6th.

I would not send the letter. I don't personally get why knowing the exact location now will help in planning ahead any more than finding out three weeks in advance. It will be an inconvenience no matter where it's held, and that you can plan on.

I would work ahead or add a few days to the end of your school year so that the other kids can stay home and have a few days off or a lighter workload on those days. You could go on a field trip or do some other educational outing in the testing area during the testing; that wouldn't require much planning ahead at all.

If you do decide to drop the program, I would let them know that the testing requirements do not work with your schedule and you live too far from where the majority of students in the program are located. It's one of the cons of using a virtual school vs. homeschooling independently. All virtual schools that I'm familiar wirh include a certain number of hours of in-person attendance, and that isn't flexible or negotiable. It's one of the reasons I opted not to do a virtual school when I began homeschooling.

Honestly, I can't imagine how much planning is involved that you need more than three weeks to do it. I'd leave the high schooler at home to work and plan on doing field trips, errands, or schooling in a library or coffee shop with the little kids. I would be annoyed, and protest that the testing center wasn't near my house as promised, but I think you can make anything work for a week without derailing an elementary school education. I'm willing to bet that most of these will be half days anyway. It looks like they've planned a different day to test each subject.

Honestly, I can't imagine how much planning is involved that you need more than three weeks to do it. I'd leave the high schooler at home to work and plan on doing field trips, errands, or schooling in a library or coffee shop with the little kids. I would be annoyed, and protest that the testing center wasn't near my house as promised, but I think you can make anything work for a week without derailing an elementary school education. I'm willing to bet that most of these will be half days anyway. It looks like they've planned a different day to test each subject.

I agree. If you leave the oldest at home w/o the littles to take care of, and one of the other kids is in testing, you only have to manage two kiddos. If it's a big city there must be parks, museums, libraries etc where you can spend some time hanging out and doing some school stuff.

I wouldn't send the letter to an administrator. Don't you have a teacher you meet with regularly? I would say, in person or by phone, "Teacher, we really like this program for ds and hope to stay in it. But when we signed up, we didn't realize how burdensome the testing requirements would be. I am unable to drive dd to the testing location in XX city. What are our options? Can YOU proctor any of the testing for dd and other kids in our area? Can dd miss any of the testing or is all required?"

When my dd was in high school, she was in a charter school. She missed the 5 days of required testing in 11th grade because it was only offered during times that she had dual-enrollment classes at the community college. The school threatened to not let dd re-enroll for her senior year. So our teacher offered to proctor the 3-day series (which only took 2 half-day sessions because of all the time wasted in group testing!) and dd took the 2-day series over the summer.

I would not send the letter. I don't personally get why knowing the exact location now will help in planning ahead any more than finding out three weeks in advance. It will be an inconvenience no matter where it's held, and that you can plan on.

I think her reason for wanting to know the exact location sooner was so that she could judge if the inconvenience was going to be great enough that she'd rather drop out of the program at the semester break (which I'm guessing is in a few weeks) rather than having to deal with it.