Menu

Nutcracker Parents

LMA

i am so tired i can hardly walk.

dd #4 is a party girl and a Russian

dd #3 is the mechanical doll, Marzipan and Snow

i manage the older girls' dressing room and quick change room.

it opened last Friday night. They love it. I love it.

it is such a good thing.

ann

DD2 is a party girl this year. This is probably the last year that we will get away with being in only one cast (we have Cast A and Cast B ) and only one role. So, I'm enjoying the fact that she is only in Act I and only in 2 of the four shows because I know it is only going to get crazier in the future. We have enough rehearsals, etc. as it is!

Her performances are on Friday night and Saturday afternoon. She is also doing a performance for a local elementary school on Thursday. I absolutely love seeing her perform, but I have to admit that I will be so happy on Saturday night when all of this craziness is over.

It's my 11th year as a Nutcracker mom (sure wish I could access the emoticons on my iPad!!) I started when ddNow17 was seven.

Dd12 is a mouse in the battle scene and is dancing in Spanish-----she and another girl are sort of echoing/shadowing the main Spanish dancer.

Dd and her friend learned yesterday that they will be moved en pointe starting in January :) Much excitement in our house!

My son is playing Fritz, a mouse and a peppermint boy. They had one performance weekend out of town right after Thanksgiving. This coming weekend they perform at their home theater. This is tech week. He is going to have 4 performances in three days.

Right about now, I really hate Nutcracker. Ask me again next August and I will love it again.

Dd will do 6 performances from Fri through Sun. She was asked to be cast in two more,but couldn't due to other commitments. She only has two small parts. She took a couple years off ballet and this is her first year back -- according to the casting rules she should not have been eligible. She's dancing bear in act 1. Dd thinks this is the greatest part--most of the other girls hate it because of the costume. She is in act 3 waltz, en pointe . Dd has had a good reception on her return o her studio. The owner/director has singled her out positively in class a few times. Next year, I expect the commitment to be way higher.

My son did The Nutcracker for six years and loved it every time. He moved up the ranks from party child to a variety of other small roles (page in the second act, one of Fritz's friends, etc.). One year, he understudied Fritz and danced the role for a couple of matinees.

He left the pre-professional school three years ago, and his only major regret is not being able to do The Nutcracker. This year, his dance studio has booked several performances around town, and he's in the "production number," which is danced to a medley of holiday showtunes. He's enjoying that, too, but it's not the same.

I hope all of the Nutcracker kids have a great time! It's such a special experience.

This is our fifth Nutcracker, but performances don't start for another week. This year, I have a Fritz/Mouse Commander and a Party Boy/Russian who's serving as the Nutcracker Prince's understudy. I'm thinking about sending sleeping bags with them to the studio. :tongue_smilie:

Our 5th Nutcracker this year. My oldest is in Waltz of the Flowers. My middle is a Polichinelle (sp?). I am in the program again for the second year as Mother Ginger because I'm the only person tall enough out all the moms and instructors to be able to wear the costume!

This is my 7 yo daughter's first year with two performances as a baby mouse. She rocked it at the stage rehearsal. I am so proud and she is just beaming. I am about to cry, though, because I am 39 weeks pregnant and having contractions. It's not looking like I will be able to make it to either performance. Someone please pass the tissue.

This is my 7 yo daughter's first year with two performances as a baby mouse. She rocked it at the stage rehearsal. I am so proud and she is just beaming. I am about to cry, though, because I am 39 weeks pregnant and having contractions. It's not looking like I will be able to make it to either performance. Someone please pass the tissue.

That's rough! I missed the spring recital last year because I had a four day old and was just not feeling good at all after the birth. DH really insisted it would be in my best interest to stay home. It about killed me, though! Nutcracker would have been a lot worse to miss!

This is DD's third Nutcracker, she is a tree angel. She was cast for 3 shows but they pulled another girl out (she missed rehearsal) so they asked DD to dance all 6 shows, she is beyond thrilled.

My MIL just arrived and she's staying through next weekend (our Nutcracker weekend) so I will be able to leave DS home and I can stay in the dressing room for the rehearsals and do makeup/supervise for 3 shows.

Nutcracker almost seemed like tradition for us as our older two ballerias were a part of it for 9 years. I truly miss it! We currently live over seas, but will be in the states for Christmas. One of the first things we will enjoy will be going to a Nutcracker performance. :-)

It's over! What an exhausting and thrilling weekend. Best wishes to those who have yet to enjoy their Nutcracker weekend.

I feel like tomorrow should be a day off. But nope, it is back to school and back to the studio for class.

I usually have insomnia, but I am hoping for a good night's sleep.

I've been a Nutcracker mom for so many years, I've lost count. LOL I swear I can hum the entire score by heart. My dd is now a professional ballerina, and The Nutcracker, while the bane of every working dancer, is the bread and butter of every ballet company. Not only does the non-ballet going public attend performances, but all the friends and relatives of every little buffoon, party girl, angel and page shows up in droves, all adding to the box office coffers...which is why professional companies have children in the performance to begin with. So, she has been performing Nutcracker since Thanksgiving weekend, and will do so through New Year's Day. Luckily, I don't have to go anymore. Just kidding. Sort of. We'll attend one or two performances, but that's it. I've had enough Nutcracker to last me a thousand lifetimes. As with all company dancers...they perform almost every role throughout Nutcracker season. They know them all, so they might as well. It also helps alleviate the otherwise mind-numbing boredom with the production.