Menu

s/o Mom Uniform - finding long tunic-type tops

Wheres Toto

Months ago there was a similar discussion regarding what to wear, and it mentioned long tunic-type shirts. I asked in that old thread where was a good place to find these types of shirts and someone posted a link to a site with beautiful bohemian-style skirts, dresses and tunic tops. Can whoever posted that site re-post it? Or does anyone know of a similar site to find tunics?

I would like some that are not so Stevie Nicks. I don't like sweater dresses on me either. I can't find any good tops to wear with leggings. Anyone have any stores/sites that have blouses or knit shirts that are longer that are simple?

I have the same question! I'm tall but prefer a pretty simple style. I really just want things like sweaters and t-shirts that are long enough to actually cover up my back when I'm sitting down on the floor without me having to tug on it all the time! About 6-8" longer than a normal shirt would be great. The linked tops were cute but not quite my style. In stores I only find really impractical stuff like those sweaters that don't fasten closed (I have three very small children - that would get yanked off me in 5 seconds) or things with bell sleeves (diaper change, anyone?)

I would like some that are not so Stevie Nicks. I don't like sweater dresses on me either. I can't find any good tops to wear with leggings. Anyone have any stores/sites that have blouses or knit shirts that are longer that are simple?

Catherines.com has tunics. Check the discription as it always lists the length. Then be sure to look at the comments as sometimes the length listed is wrong! I like 32 inch shirts and occasionally they have some that are 34.

Denim and Company on QVC also carries longer length tops.

Ok, I've decided I don't really know what a tunic is. I thought it was suppose to be long enough to wear with leggings and to ME that means coming past my bottom....very few of these links show any that long.

This. I usually go with shorter dresses. I've even found a couple nice ones in the [gasp] Junior dept.

http://catherines.la...&Mcat=4501@5000

http://catherines.la...0#productTabs_1

These two are either 34 or 32 in length. The one that says 30 inches is wrong..I own it and it's 34. Look where it hits the model on her hips.

Another 34 inch length.

http://catherines.la...Mcat=14916@5000

http://catherines.la...Mcat=14916@5000

Denim and Co 35 1/2 inch length sweater

http://www.qvc.com/D...9.001?$uslarge$

Denim and company 33 inch tunic. (I have several tht I wear with jeans, a scarf and a corderoy jacket.

http://www.qvc.com/D...8.001?$uslarge$

(I need a tutorial in posting links. )

Woman Within: they actually tell you how long their shirts are! I have not actually bought anything from there, I only just started getting their catalogs. But I love that they tell you how long their stuff is. Reasonably priced as well.

~coffee~

Their quality can be very hit or miss. Usually the plain tee shirts are of a thinner fabric than I like. I have pretty much given up on them.

There is an As Seen on TV product called Trendy Top that looks like a little spandex skirt. You put it on underneath your shirt and pull it down so it looks like a t-shirt coming down out of your shirt around your waist. I have them but can't remember the name. It's specifically made for the problem of shirts that ride or are too short.

http://www.amazon.co...ords=trendy top

I wound up ordering two from J. Jill. Most of the tunics in the stores doesn't cover the behind and I

m short!. I've been hunting all over and have tried on several that looked like they would on the hanger.

j

I've seen those and even tried something similar, but I find that the band just rolls up or rides right up with the shirt. My best luck has been with men's tank tops (under my shirt) because they're so long and I can tuck them in, but they are not very attractive. I try the same with women's tanks and they're too short!

j I've seen those and even tried something similar, but I find that the band just rolls up or rides right up with the shirt. My best luck has been with men's tank tops (under my shirt) because they're so long and I can tuck them in, but they are not very attractive. I try the same with women's tanks and they're too short!

Ah, thank you. I am long waisted and I have a lot of tank tops. I've been looking for some more layering shirts that are longer. Men's would be cheaper than talls (which I am not)

So I wore this tunic with skinny khakis yesterday and a scarf. I got so many compliments. And I am not a skinny beanpole. I am tall, but not skinny.

That is really pretty.

So I wore this tunicwith skinny khakis yesterday and a scarf. I got so many compliments. And I am not a skinny beanpole. I am tall, but not skinny.

Very nice.

I went shopping yesterday. Can I just say :cursing:

I texted my dh from the dressing room and said, 'I HATE shopping!!!!'

I did manage to buy a pair of Vera Wang leggings....in black. And a pair of dark denim skinny jeans. And two longer sweaters...one in grey and one black. Both cover my behind. Oh and a pair of Vera Wang dark brown tights for a dress I have ....I want to find a pair of boots to go with it.

It was brutal though. Sooooo much out there but so little of it actually works. And just for the record I weigh about 134 and I am 5'6". It should NOT be this difficult to find clothes to look decent on me.

So far THIS link has the length I like....I agree--expensive....but might be worth buying a few pieces.

I have never been disappointed with the quality of the clothes from Boden. They last. And the customer service is great -- easy returns if you aren't happy.

If you decide to try them, be sure to wait for a free shipping offer!

I love Boden!

I have the same question! I'm tall but prefer a pretty simple style. I really just want things like sweaters and t-shirts that are long enough to actually cover up my back when I'm sitting down on the floor without me having to tug on it all the time! About 6-8" longer than a normal shirt would be great. The linked tops were cute but not quite my style. In stores I only find really impractical stuff like those sweaters that don't fasten closed (I have three very small children - that would get yanked off me in 5 seconds) or things with bell sleeves (diaper change, anyone?)

I'm very tall, too. I frequently wear dresses over leggings. These would be dresses that are supposed to hit above the knee on regular height gals, but on me are about mid-thigh range. The best dresses for this are ones that have a regular or empire waist line and are not ones that look like 2 pieces (in other words, the top and bottom of dress are the same pattern/fabric).

For not-really-tall gals, try dresses from the junior department. They'll hit around the same length. I have a couple of friends who do that a lot, and it looks very nice. The key is to find dresses that don't look like "15-year-old-hooker" dresses, which, I am told, make up far too much of the junior dress department.

I'm very tall, too. I frequently wear dresses over leggings. These would be dresses that are supposed to hit above the knee on regular height gals, but on me are about mid-thigh range. The best dresses for this are ones that have a regular or empire waist line and are not ones that look like 2 pieces (in other words, the top and bottom of dress are the same pattern/fabric).

For not-really-tall gals, try dresses from the junior department. They'll hit around the same length. I have a couple of friends who do that a lot, and it looks very nice. The key is to find dresses that don't look like "15-year-old-hooker" dresses, which, I am told, make up far too much of the junior dress department.

How tall are you? I am only about 5'6".

How tall are you? I am only about 5'6".

I am 6'.

If you want to get your dresses around the same length, look for ones that are supposed to be short. I'd never wear a dress as a dress if my butt shows when I touch my toes. But, that same dress with leggings (or even skinny jeans) looks cute and presentable.

I just wanted to add that every time I take Audrey's fashion advice it always works. The whole three accessories idea has really worked! Thanks, Audrey!

Oh! I'm so glad it helped! :) That rule changed my wardrobe's life. I get many more outfits out of fewer actual pieces of clothing that way.

I am 6'.

If you want to get your dresses around the same length, look for ones that are supposed to be short. I'd never wear a dress as a dress if my butt shows when I touch my toes. But, that same dress with leggings (or even skinny jeans) looks cute and presentable.

Ok, I can do that. Thanks!

Do share this tidbit again Audrey!

I think I'd first posted the whole rule in this thread (which has a ton of great advice, too!)

Here is a cut-and-paste of the the rule of 3:

I always wear clothes by the rule of three. Wear at least 3 pieces to make an outfit. Jeans and a t-shirt is not an outfit. Jeans and a t-shirt and a cardigan is an outfit. Or, jeans and a t-shirt and a button-down shirt is an outfit. I count scarves in the 3 pieces, if it is worn on the body (not just tied to your handbag), and if it is not your winter muffler. If you wear a dress, that counts as 2 pieces. Always have 3 accessories -- so that includes rings, earrings, necklaces, bracelets, pins/brooches (any jewellery actually), watches, belts and handbags, but not shoes. You still have to wear shoes, though.

J Jill sells tops that are longer in length and sit mid hip instead of just at the waist. They also sell a variety of tunics. Another trick I found is to order "tall" lengths. Old Navy has a sweater http://www1.assets-gap.com/webcontent/0005/550/337/cn5550337.jpg that if you order a tall it is long enough to be a tunic. There are also a few others on the page that are actually tunics. I love Old Navy because I feel like I can afford to get tired of their stuff after a year or two.

Thank you so much for this thread! My DD is long-waisted and overweight. Shopping for tops is so, so frustrating because of the problem with them riding up. We are having to constantly tell her to pull her shirt down, and I know she's tired of that. I'm short-waisted, so I'm no help with this problem. Lots of cute tops here! She'll be thrilled.