Menu

Dickens' A Christmas Carol just for fun...

Which version of A Christmas Carol for teen girls (13, 15, 17, 18)?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Which version of A Christmas Carol for teen girls (13, 15, 17, 18)?

• A Christmas Carol (1951) with Alistair Sim
    • A Christmas Carol (1999) with Patrick Stewart
    • A Muppet Christmas Carol

Next Thursday is our last day of school before Christmas Break. The girls (ages 13, 15, 17 & 18) and I will be reading A Christmas Carol next week, and I want to follow it up by watching one of the movie adaptations of the story.

I've narrowed it down to these three:

A Christmas Carol (1951) with Alistair Sim as Scrooge

A Christmas Carol (1999) with Patrick Stewart as Scrooge

A Muppets Christmas Carol (Part of me wants to see this one just because the movie and some Christmas snacks & goodies will be the last thing we do together that afternoon before dismissal, and I want it to be FUN. But if one of the other versions is not-to-be-missed, I want to do that one.)

Please help me decide! Which one would you pick and why?

I have to be honest and say I haven't seen the other two. But, we've read it the last two (or three?) years and seen play versions, Mickey's version, and The Muppet's version varying years since DS was about 5. The Muppet's actually follow the story pretty closely and Michael Caine makes an excellent Scrooge.

I think I may have seen part of the Patrick Stewart video version. We have the audio of him reading the book and we like to listen to that when we travel. Actually it's rather soporific, so my attempts at establishing that as a tradition haven't gone over so well. Guess that's not encouraging, lol.

I love the Muppets one, but my dad, who has made an unofficially study of these things, tells me that the George C. Scott is the best version. So I vote between the Muppets and George C. Scott.

ETA: You haven't seen the muppets one? Then I pick it for sure. It is a really fun version that is also rather true to the story. "When a cold wind blows it chills you, chills you to the bone!..." Love it!

I didn't vote because I haven't seen the others but I love love love the George C. Scott version. I cry every time he bursts open the shutters and looks out the window and says, "You, you there boy! What day is it?" and he realizes it's Christmas day and he's just so changed. He was so wicked before, but he's changed now and then he goes to Fred's house and Fred is such a good nephew..... Can you tell I love this movie? Sorry. I'm getting a little overwhelmed. (sniff, sniff)