Menu

How to prepare for kids entertainment needs in rual area?

Were basically moving to the middle of no where, no kids but mine within a mile that I know of. No internet beyond dial up unless I want to pay for satellite which is ridiculously expensive and even the best package only gives 400MB a day. My kids have grown up online, everything is online from school to entertainment to friends. I'm a little lost on how to keep them from killing each other this winter when we will be stuck inside a lot due to bad weather. Anything you can think of is a must on hand? 1 kids hates reading, other isn't reading yet so books are out.

I'm ordering more silk blanks for play silks since thats been a long time fave along with the big silks for forts (my parents who were staying with get cranky when the kids use sheets/blankets. Not much chance of moving until I find a job so don't even say it.)

Board games but need to find stuff that works for both 6yr old and 12 yr old together.

Think I'm going to put together one of the PVC building kits

Ordering more Wii games (have to get it fixed first though, doesn't read discs right now, thankfully its still under warranty)

Ordering tons of tulle for tutu dress projects from PaperMart

Hitting thrift stores to stock up on kids movies

We had a week recently when our internet was down. My husband's smart phone can be set up to be a wifi hotspot. We used that for quite a bit each day (facebook, email, some webstreaming of videos) and used very little of his 2G over that time. I was surprised when I webstreamed one live music site for over an hour and still had used so little. I set it to the worst quality, since I didn't really care to watch it in HD. The data portion of his phone plan is $25/mo. and I think $10 for each extra 'G.'

Blessings on your new way of life!

Thrift stores should have bed sheets for forts. Get nature guides like for birds and trees and the stars. Get them involved in helping with making meals. My twelve year old is in charge of making sweets. Her desire for cookies wars with her need to be lazy. Computer games that don't go online are good. Crafts are a great thing, but keep it to one a day or the mess will drive you crazy. Take up knitting or crochet. Audio books are a G-d send.Exercise DVDs are good, too. We use our Wii more in the winter than any other time. Get involved either with the local home schooling community or with a local group like Girl Scouts.

Relax. You only need warm clothing for them. Layer them on them and send them outside. If there is not a blizzard they will not get lost, I promise.

Check out http://boardgamegeek.com/ for tons of great board games that are not your run of the mill box store games on the rare day that it is unsafe to leave the house.

In addition to getting a few things like others are suggesting, if you haven't done this yet, I would sit them down ahead of time and share your concerns and ask them to make a plan with your for changing your lifestyle together. Tell them that you expect that it will be tough for everyone, including you, to figure out this new way of being together. Ask them how they envision things after the move so you can figure out if you need board games or snow gear or what. Set the foundations for being understanding with each other so that you hopefully can get off on the right foot and can have that conversation to refer back to when someone does get frustrated or when there's tension.

I think part of it is that YOU will need to be prepared that they will go through a real struggle. It will be really hard for them to adjust to a different life, and they will express their frustration by fighting and acting out. Dont let it take you by surprise and make you angry - expect it and know that its part of the 'grieving' process for them

This is a game we got when my son was 6 and it was fun for the whole family, tho kinda slow. My kids started making up stories together, with the older one doing the typing and the younger one helping with plot ideas. Spend some time exploring the outdoors with them as much as possible so they dont feel like they are being 'kicked out' of the house. Maybe get a bird feeder and a bird guide book - i used to spend hours watching the birds at the feeder when I was a kid. Re-introduce family story time, maybe, with good read-alouds everyone will enjoy.

good luck - i hope you had talked to them about the transition ahead of time

In addition to getting a few things like others are suggesting, if you haven't done this yet, I would sit them down ahead of time and share your concerns and ask them to make a plan with your for changing your lifestyle together. Tell them that you expect that it will be tough for everyone, including you, to figure out this new way of being together. Ask them how they envision things after the move so you can figure out if you need board games or snow gear or what. Set the foundations for being understanding with each other so that you hopefully can get off on the right foot and can have that conversation to refer back to when someone does get frustrated or when there's tension.

I've been doing that but 12 yr old just can't imagine it. 6 yr old is happy to play outside, 12 yr old is a computer addict who can't imagine a life with the net and tech.

haha we all got his with the same lag/double-post!

but after reading what you said, it sounds like you are most worried about your 12 yo . .. its really hard at that age. My teens occasionally get in to some sort of hobby and I try to support it - my daughter got in to graphic art stuff, my son in to carving. I'd say make sure to take her to the library and make her get out some non-fiction books as well as fiction, maybe specifically looking at crafty things she can engage in. Or writing fan-fics, another thing both my teens got in to

Relax. You only need warm clothing for them. Layer them on them and send them outside. If there is not a blizzard they will not get lost, I promise.

Check out http://boardgamegeek.com/ for tons of great board games that are not your run of the mill box store games on the rare day that it is unsafe to leave the house.

My geeky computer-addicted husband really likes board games now that we have found some more complex strategy games. Pandemic has been a gateway game for many of our friends into the geeky game world. :p We also own Lord of the Rings board game, Agricola, Puerto Rico, 7 Wonders (current favorite), and Defenders of the Realm. I know it seems geeky at first, but these are a lot of fun with older kids. Just be prepared for the first time you play it, to take a couple hours to figure it out.

I grew up way out in the middle of no where. Of course, back then, we did not have computers or video games and only 3 TV channels. But, we played lots of cards and board games. I had a ping pong table as well. We rode bikes and played on swings year round. When the weather was awful, we stayed inside and did crafts, played various games, baked, etc.

Play dough was a necessity. So were Lincoln Logs and Tinker Toys. Barbies and other dolls and stuffed animals were popular as well as dollhouse. We played lots of imaginary games like "house" and "fort." We also played hide and sneak, charades, jacks, etc. I remember dress up too. On really yucky days, we would put a blanket in the living room and have picnics. Matchbox and HotWheels cars saw lots of playtime. We used to have nerf gun wars between the bedrooms and down the halls.

I'd really, really suggest that you nudge them outside. Isn't that why you are living out in the country? Buy them some Wellies (aka Chore Boots) at Walmart and let them trudge around, exploring. climbing trees, finding wild animals. If you're living with your parents, they will also need some quiet time inside . . . so it's a Win-Win. Tell them they have to spend 60 minutes outside for every 15 minutes on the computer or something.

Best thing is that you can call it "Charlotte Mason Method" homeschooling. :laugh:

it sounds like a fabulous move. the things that helped our 11 yr old and 14 yr old when we moved them to the country 15 years ago....

a) chickens. they had to go out twice a day to feed them, collect eggs, etc. it mellowed them

B) a dog. they had to walk the dog three times a day. it gave them exercise, and love.

c) a cat. the cat curled up with them inside when they read.

d) crafts. we learned to knit, cross stitch, etc.

e) little house on the prairie read alouds. ostensibly, they were for the littles, but it had a great impact in helping the olders realize just how lucky they were.

f) horseback riding. it was a rural bonus they hadn't expected and came to love.

14 yr old was a reader when we moved. 11 yr old wasn't. we just kept getting books, and every day had happy horizontal hour with no electronics at all. it took almost a year, but she became a reader.

its okay to not be an internet addict at 12. really. there will be withdrawal, but then it will get better. really.

enjoy!

ann

To add to what I posted above, winter is our most favorite season in terms of family bonding. The evenings are long and cold, so we usually spend them together inside. We pop popcorn, listen to books on CD, watch movies, play board games, and just hang out together. Weekends are great for spending time on hobbies or crafts.

Maybe if you help your family reframe the idea of where you live - instead of it being rural, remote, and isolated, it could be slower paced, relaxed, and family-centered. Rural living can bless all of you, but you have to be open to the blessings. :grouphug:

Does your older child have access to friends? At that age, lots of kids really crave spending time with friends- and without the internet access, she might feel a bit lonely. I know family time is great, but friends are pretty important, too. Is there a weekly activity that she can look forward to? A youth group or homeschool activity? We live in town but it's so brutally cold outside that in the winter my kids just got antsy to be with friends. It was a hassle, but in the long run worth it to arrange time during the winter for the kids to get together.

Read Little House books about long winters far from anyone and not even many of the things your girls will have (movies, etc.)

Don't try to recreate city life in country--let the rural experience be its own thing. Consider it a special opportunity like a trip to the wilds of Africa and try to have fun with it. It sounds like it is not something you want to be doing, but circumstances have thrust it on you. Still, try to make lemonade with the lemons. Many people would be thrilled to have a rural experience, and it is something that though they grumble about it, your kids may look back on as a wonderful and magical time.

Cooking and baking are wonderful winter activities.

Nature observing, writing, and art.

Others have talked about gear for cold and snow.

If it is very rainy as it is where we are, Muck or Bog boots that stay outside have been invaluable, and a waterproof outer layer.

We do not have much snow (alas) the kids would like that, but they make outdoor forts or clubhouses and usually spend at least a couple of hours playing outdoors daily. they often turn reading into play--eg enacting Little House type situations, or having a magic defense against the dark arts group a al Harry Potter. I have an only son, and there is an only girl child, also homeschooling, nearby with whom he plays most days. 2 children is enough for fun and adventures. You have 2 already.

Audio books.

Learn a musical instrument, or sing.

20 Questions

another thing we did was to adopt some of the Mormon evening activities. so we have a games night and a date night, and we added a movie night. we wove traditions and fun into each evening of the week. you don't miss the computer so much when you are playing "apples to apples", or watching a favourite movie with popcorn and everyone else. truly....

and we added in baking traditions. tomorrow morning, for example, is Monday Muffin Morning. the girls have chosen strawberry.... that should be interesting.... we make home made bagels on saturdays, and waffles on sundays.

when do you move?

ann

another thing we did was to adopt some of the Mormon evening activities. so we have a games night and a date night, and we added a movie night. we wove traditions and fun into each evening of the week. you don't miss the computer so much when you are playing "apples to apples", or watching a favourite movie with popcorn and everyone else. truly....

and we added in baking traditions. tomorrow morning, for example, is Monday Muffin Morning. the girls have chosen strawberry.... that should be interesting.... we make home made bagels on saturdays, and waffles on sundays.

when do you move?

ann

I'm told were leaving the 11th if the weather agrees as the house as already been rented here and the new people want to move in. Its going to be interesting, the girls and I will be staying in a small travel trailer for 7-10 days while the house is finished. Its going to be interesting and cold lol, its 8:30pm and 27F there, praying the trailer heater will keep us warm enough, if not we at least have winter sleeping bags and cold weather gear:)